Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Claims about Kane being done by 30 are just wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Closer to retirement than Haaland obviously but when healthy there's nothing that indicates he wouldn't be a success for City or any other top team. Specifically at City, apparently every player only looks good because of the other players around them, or some magical system (yeah, make that make sense), now I'm supposed to believe that black magic would be applicable to Kane? Right, ok.
He’ll be done by 30 simply because he’s sluggish and will continue to become more so. He’ll obviously still be a footballer, and a human being, when he hits 30 - but his exceptional finishing will be displayed only when he is able to earn himself the right to do so, and THAT is the but that I suspect will happen less and less.

To me, Kane has always been easy to mark for top defenders. A defender with speed, strength and a brain. He seems to have few touches and chances against us for example. I’ve said for months (so not a product of him seemingly joining City) that I have concerns about him. By 30/31 - you will barely find him in the box at all I suspect, as he drops deeper and deeper to try and run away from defenders he can’t run away from.

The Purley King

Not likely, but not impossible and Kane moving would free up wages for new top earners.
London is a great city to live for rich people. And they have won it all apart from CL at City so if Pep can’t guarantee these players regular football they might indeed be willing to consider Spurs.
Zero chance that Sterling agrees to move to Spurs, same for Laporte. Sterling is apparently on £200k pw and that isn't counting anything he gets under the table. I don't know what Laporte is on, but safe to say Spurs can't afford to pay him either.

Offside!

Supports
Exeter City
Anyway I think this will be a great offer and I'm not sure why Levy would want to refuse it. They get 2 good players + 100m to add to their budget so they spend more on the team. Win-win for both parties to be totally honest.
Levy would come in his pants if that were on offer.

It's clearly nonsense. The state of sport 'journalism' covering football is truly awful. Clickbait.

Tallis

Wow Sterling is being offered around like he is a pack of crisps. .
Jesus plus Sterling plus cash would be a dynamite deal for Spurs. Front three of Jesus, Son, Sterling plus cash to buy a Center half.

el3mel

Levy would come in his pants if that were on offer.

It's clearly nonsense. The state of sport 'journalism' covering football is truly awful. Clickbait.
Well. not really nonsense, Fabrizio Romano also said similar things few days ago, with the same names actually.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He’ll be done by 30 simply because he’s sluggish and will continue to become more so. He’ll obviously still be a footballer, and a human being, when he hits 30 - but his exceptional finishing will be displayed only when he is able to earn himself the right to do so, and THAT is the but that I suspect will happen less and less.

To me, Kane has always been easy to mark for top defenders. A defender with speed, strength and a brain. He seems to have few touches and chances against us for example. I’ve said for months (so not a product of him seemingly joining City) that I have concerns about him. By 30/31 - you will barely find him in the box at all I suspect, as he drops deeper and deeper to try and run away from defenders he can’t run away from.
Very interesting. What strikers in the PL do you consider as better (or at least have the potential to be better) than current Kane?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
In what world do people see Laporte or Sterling agreeing to go to Tottenham and play in the conference league!?

They are names that have been linked to Real and Barca in the recent past. There is absolutely no chance either are going to agree to move to Spurs.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very interesting. What strikers in the PL do you consider as better (or at least have the potential to be better) than current Kane?
None better at the moment.

Potentially - only Mason Greenwood off the top of my head.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In what world do people see Laporte or Sterling agreeing to go to Tottenham and play in the conference league!?

They are names that have been linked to Real and Barca in the recent past. There is absolutely no chance either are going to agree to move to Spurs.
I agree it's a long shot, but the market isn't exactly favourable at the moment. They could sign deals with caveats, release clauses that may kick in if they don't qualify for the CL, and it could still make a lot of sense for Spurs if the clauses are high enough. But with Sterling it seems a no-go due to his wages.

I agree it's a long shot, but the market isn't exactly favourable at the moment. They could sign deals with caveats, release clauses that may kick in if they don't qualify for the CL, and it could still make a lot of sense for Spurs if the clauses are high enough. But with Sterling it seems a no-go due to his wages.
Or instead of going to spurs have the pick of a dozen clubs not named Man Utd or Liverpool.

theres a reason why swap deals are difficult.

if city want to get rid of these players, their agents will be looking at all possibilities, not just spurs - all of the players mentioned as possible exchanges are very sellable, so whilst spurs might be an option it’s one of many - so it’s unlikely that they would want to go there.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
None better at the moment.

Potentially - only Mason Greenwood off the top of my head.
I'm bullish on Mason but not that bullish!

Back to Kane though: even with the limitations you see him having, he has enough quality that they can be minimized within the tactics of any good manager. The only sticking point is the price: Kane at 50M for example, is a must buy for any club.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Its not just about money though. These are players in or entering their prime years. All of them will be looking upwards and wanting to evolve their careers.

A year out of Europe (proper Europe) to go to a club with massive debt, low wages and a reputation for winning nothing just isn’t going to happen for these players.

Laporte would be a key player at any other club in the world that isn’t saturated by oil money. He isn’t going to spend his prime years at Spurs playing next to Matt Doherty. Absolutely no chance.

Tallis

Is Laporte that good ? I see he is behind Stones at City and couldn’t get a game for France.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is Laporte that good ? I see he is behind Stones at City and couldn’t get a game for France.
He's a top class centerback. Had a bad knee injury and Stones was doing well enough as a partner to Laporte so was a no need to change situation. The year before Laporte was their key defender. He's a much better CB generally. For France, Deschamps had something against him and they have Varane who has been one of the best in the world for years now.

Offside!

Supports
Exeter City
Well. not really nonsense, Fabrizio Romano also said similar things few days ago, with the same names actually.
It's the same regurgitated nonsense. Romano ! Don't make me laugh. People like him will post anything for clicks. It's how his world works.

It's 'journalists' putting 2+2 together and coming up with 22. Sterling, Laporte and Jesus not getting game time at City, throw the names in the mix.

The facts are those 3 players, if they are to leave City, will be looking at top tier clubs not Spurs.Their combined salaries are probably in the region of £600k pw. Sterling is almost certainly on more than Kane is at Spurs. Spurs need to reduce their costs not add to them.

None of those City players will be playing at Spurs next season and I really don't think Kane will be at City either.

It is clear that most of the speculation that you read about any transfer is made up bollocks.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah I agree. I really don't see him aging gracefully like Lewandowski for example, and while as you say he'll have his vision and technique with his shooting, it's not like he is very agile or a runner with the ball that can make space on his own. He'll just get less and less involved in games. I never worry much about Kane when he plays United because he's easy to mark out as you say. He's a brilliant goalscorer but how many more brilliant goalscorer years does he have left? He doesn't have enough to his game to really change enough IMO. He's not a physical beast that outmuscles defenders, doesn't have much pace, so when he loses that bit of sharpness then it'll be a much sharper decline IMO, at least in the premier league. Would have to turn into a trequartista in Serie A or something.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm bullish on Mason but not that bullish!

Back to Kane though: even with the limitations you see him having, he has enough quality that they can be minimized within the tactics of any good manager. The only sticking point is the price: Kane at 50M for example, is a must buy for any club.
You don’t believe Mase can become a world class striker?

As for Kane, I think he’s a brilliant striker, although like most players, not perfect. His performances at the Euros so far are not surprising to me, for instance. I see them as relatively typical Kane performances when he finds himself in big games or against difficult teams/opposition. That’s his average performance level vs United, with the exception of the odd game where we are going through a spell of being shite and are massive underdogs against Spurs. What often happens is that he’ll go and score 4 against Sheffield United the following week though.

Kane for 50m is an absolute must buy, you can’t get better. Kane for 150m will still get a shit load of goals for City, at least at first, but not for too long I suspect. I see the Rooney in him personally. His finishing will always be great, but as time goes on, he’ll find it harder and harder to earn the right to finish. His half a yard will be closed down by sharp, athletic defenders, there’s no acceleration to get away, no real drop of the shoulder etc. In a game where his team is dominant and the opposition is pulled apart, he’ll get openings and score goals though.

I’d much rather Haaland than him, personally. Both can finish, but I feel Haaland has more tools to earn himself the right to finish, such as speed, aggression and strength. It’s an old cliché in English football that the older you get the deeper you drop. Centre halves drop deeper because they don’t want to engage with physical strikers, and centre forwards drop deeper to avoid physical centre halves. Kane has already started that, at 27, and I don’t see him having reversed that trend by 30.

RkkMan

Like others I'm extremely surprised some people here think any of City's players would take an extremely massive downgrade to a Spurs team that's completely broken and in the Conference League. London factor for them is as relevant as West Ham's who are also in London but NEVER a serious destination for serious players. And that's without mentioning how they'd struggle to pay the wages of any of City's players
City will have to either pay an immoral fee for a 28yr old that's world class with ankle problems(just like Hazard) or walk

el3mel

It's the same regurgitated nonsense. Romano ! Don't make me laugh. People like him will post anything for clicks. It's how his world works.

It's 'journalists' putting 2+2 together and coming up with 22. Sterling, Laporte and Jesus not getting game time at City, throw the names in the mix.

The facts are those 3 players, if they are to leave City, will be looking at top tier clubs not Spurs.Their combined salaries are probably in the region of £600k pw. Sterling is almost certainly on more than Kane is at Spurs. Spurs need to reduce their costs not add to them.

None of those City players will be playing at Spurs next season and I really don't think Kane will be at City either.

It is clear that most of the speculation that you read about any transfer is made up bollocks.
Except no one said that they'll agree to play for Spurs. It's that City are thinking of including them in the deal. Whatever they agree and it succeeds or not isn't something they confirmed.

largelyworried

Anyway I think this will be a great offer and I'm not sure why Levy would want to refuse it. They get 2 good players + 100m to add to their budget so they spend more on the team. Win-win for both parties to be totally honest.
it’s not clear from the article whether that’s £100m cash plus players, or if the £100m figure includes those player values. The fact that the article talks about Kane being valued at £150M by Spurs suggests the latter, since Jesus and Sterling must be worth £50m between them.

paulscholes18

it’s not clear from the article whether that’s £100m cash plus players, or if the £100m figure includes those player values. The fact that the article talks about Kane being valued at £150M by Spurs suggests the latter, since Jesus and Sterling must be worth £50m between them.
It’s £100m cash and player(s) on top of it

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d be amazed if he got Sterling and Jesus to agree to that but it isn’t exactly out of character for Pep to make such an obviously over the top offer for a striker. What was Zlatan again? 60m plus Eto’o? That was bonkers back in 2009. Spurs would do well to pull that off.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Or instead of going to spurs have the pick of a dozen clubs not named Man Utd or Liverpool.

theres a reason why swap deals are difficult.

if city want to get rid of these players, their agents will be looking at all possibilities, not just spurs - all of the players mentioned as possible exchanges are very sellable, so whilst spurs might be an option it’s one of many - so it’s unlikely that they would want to go there.
Its not just about money though. These are players in or entering their prime years. All of them will be looking upwards and wanting to evolve their careers.

A year out of Europe (proper Europe) to go to a club with massive debt, low wages and a reputation for winning nothing just isn’t going to happen for these players.

Laporte would be a key player at any other club in the world that isn’t saturated by oil money. He isn’t going to spend his prime years at Spurs playing next to Matt Doherty. Absolutely no chance.
Yes of course. I was just trying to be contrarian. But of course they won't say, "sure, I'll leave Pep's City for managerless Spurs".

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Kane really committed career suicide by signing that ridiculous contract. Such a stupid move, under no pressure, for no reason.

Judas

Open to offers
He's either broken or injured. Either way, I'd love nothing more than him to be shite at Spurs or shite at City next season, especially if they spunk 100m on them. Of course that sort of money means nothing to them, but still...funny.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Levy is mad if he turns down £100m + players. We’re seeing an off form, half fit Kane struggling but it’s a bit of a glimpse into what he will be like as his legs and ankles decline. It’s reminding me of Rooney’s later years where he dropped back and stunk out midfield because he didn’t have the quickness of step required around the box.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not sure why, but he looks like an absolute carthorse this tournament. I'm sure we'd see better in the prem at City, but you wouldn't fancy dropping 100m+ on watching his last 3 games.

alexthelion

The way he's playing for England, I'm not sure if he's even worth £1.50, let alone £150m.

Brophs

The One and Only

It's not £100m cash. It's cash plus players to the total value of £100m.

Based on the last few games the deal
Should be Sterling to Spurs with Spurs handing over £££ + Kane.

clearly this is knee jerk, but Kane has been Kieran Dyer for England thus far.

Offside!

Supports
Exeter City
Except no one said that they'll agree to play for Spurs. It's that City are thinking of including them in the deal. Whatever they agree and it succeeds or not isn't something they confirmed.
So you think City are offering players to Spurs without the agreement of said players?

I don't believe any club would treat its highly valuable employees in such a way plus City would surely know, even if they wished it, that the players wouldn't go along with it. It's Spurs after all.

Reactions: Fortitude

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It’s an old cliché in English football that the older you get the deeper you drop. Centre halves drop deeper because they don’t want to engage with physical strikers, and centre forwards drop deeper to avoid physical centre halves.
I thought the idea was that centre half's drop deeper because they lose the pace to recover ground fast enough if they get caught out too high up the pitch?

RedDevil@84

This fraud is being exposed at the Euros. Spurs should simply sell him to us for 70M, before his price goes down.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
If that's the case, why does the article say Spurs would need £150M to look at it? That bid would be worth far more than £150M.
Because you were correct the first time.

What apparently City offer is £100M which includes the value of one of the players.

Example if Jesus market value is £50M it would be Jesus (£50M) + £50M for Kane like wise if Sterling value was £80M it would be Sterling (£80M) + £20M for Kane. Hence why Spurs rejected the offer.