Harry Kane | "I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success."

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If this is first shots fired it’s a pretty idiot move by Kane. Just walk up to Levy and hand in a transfer request. Don’t just not show up for training
how much bonus does he loose for handing in an official transfer request?... he probably should do but for whatever reason he feels that his agreement with levy means he shouldnt

that said hard to have sympathy for anybody who trusts levy

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Levy is right to protect Spurs' interest but have you ever asked your self why all your big players essentially have to go on strike to force a move? This is a common theme and cannot be a coincidence. The common denominator is Levy.
Only players that went on strike was Berbatov & Bale. Modric was in a similar situation as I stated but never refused to train. Walker didn't have to go on strike, either did Keane or Carrick. Sadly we have had a lot of world class talant come to us and then want out to top clubs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

red4ever 79

Mess from all sides. Kane signing an extension without a release clause. Levy trying to keep him when clearly the team is crap. Kane wants to win things and won't get that at spuds.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If he downs tools he's worth pretty much nothing to Spurs.

Kane's done the right thing by the club signing a long contract so club can get value and now being done over by Levy.

£100m is a very fair offer given his age and injury record.

Ultimately a striking Kane will have to be sold whatever Levy and Spurs management want. Just a question of how hard he pushes.

EdinburghDevil

City to me is his only destination and depending on how far down the road they are with Grealish that might not even be realistic either.

It's not easy for them to raise funds either in selling the likes of Sterling for example. It's he same boat we are in with Pogba or DDG / Henderson (I'm assuming we are looking to off load one of them). Real and Barca are apparently skint and that leaves very few clubs who can fork out £50m+ that these players want to go and play for.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If he downs tools he's worth pretty much nothing to Spurs.

Kane's done the right thing by the club signing a long contract so club can get value and now being done over by Levy.

£100m is a very fair offer given his age and injury record.

Ultimately a striking Kane will have to be sold whatever Levy and Spurs management want. Just a question of how hard he pushes.
That's some bullshit right there.

He won't down tools because he fecks up his own career by doing so, who wants a player after such a thing.

Kane did what he thought was best for himself when he signed that extension, he didn't do it to do "the right thing for the club" with the goal in mind to be sold in a few years. If he had doubts about winning things at Spurs, or had doubts about his long-term future back then, either sign a shorter contract (6 years at 25 years old ffs) or don't sign a contract at all. No one forced him to.

And Kane won't go on strike if he's still there after the window has closed. Lots of players have stayed put when they wanted to be sold and I can't think of a single one who didn't perform as expected after that, let alone went on a strike.

RedRover

I agree. Don’t sign contracts you can’t honour, really. But the specific reason he is doing is probably because he has 0 suitors. Kane with his mouth zipped + Levy asking for £150m+ = nobody wants a go. Kane kicking up a bit of a fuss, telling everyone he wants out and missing a training session or two — suddenly Spurs’ hand is less strong and teams can try negotiating a little.

Plus from Spurs’ side… Kane isn’t getting any younger here, and whilst he’s obviously the best no.9 in the league and scores Spurs 25+ a season; under Nuno, with this current team, Spurs are finishing anywhere from 5th to 9th. With or without Kane, in my opinion. It’s not like they’re on the cusp of top 3 football under Poch and Kane makes or breaks the sides hopes — it’s a pretty average team that should cash on Kane whilst they can and try to best rebuild where they can elsewhere.
Spot on. The club might, in the end, not let him go but that can only be about making an example of him. His value isn't going up when he's unhappy, sitting in the stands and with a contract that's ticking down.

They also have a new manager who may well not want the drama and difficulty that this brings, and might feel he can better invest that money now, not in 12 months when he goes for less.

I broadly agree with the idea that you shouldn't sign a contract you aren't willing to honour, but I have sympathy with Kane. I suspect he's been made promises when he's signed a new deal that Spurs would kick on and match his ambition. Instead, they sack Pochettino, are a disaster under Mourinho and after being turned down by all and sundry made a decent, but hardly spectacular appointment in the summer.

He's a better player than Spurs and deserves to be challenging for titles and in the CL.

The White Pele

Kane’s mistake was signing for Spurs for so long and as a result it now looks as if he’s going to have to pull some unsavoury moves to force his way out. It’s a bit out of character for him and will tarnish his legacy but shows how driven he is to play at the top while he still has time.

His other mistake was assuming there would be a queue of buyers once he declared he wanted to leave. He’s still worth a lot of money to Spurs and with the market as it is, with Madrid and Barca effectively out of the picture, his chances to move are severely limited. There are other hot properties on the market he has to compete with that are younger and seen as better investments such as Sancho, Grealish, Haaland and he’s found himself down the pecking order.

City, which as things currently stand seems his only route, seem to be prioritising Grealish. It’s not really their model to spend £100m+ on one player so buying both Kane and Grealish would be a real change of direction for them. Obviously we know money is no object for them but it almost feels as if there’s a bit of reluctance to do this deal. As if it goes against their plans but they feel they have to pursue it as the best striker in England is suddenly on the market, they are champions of England and the only club that could realistically make the deal happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure Pep won’t be complaining when he’s firing them to every trophy in sight next season but I wonder if Pep would soon be thinking he needs a new challenge.

ElectroManiac

Kane knows he doesn't have much time as a top striker. He is in his last few years on his prime and he won't get a trophy at Spurs. He did make a mistake signing that long term contract. He should have done what RVP did when move to us.

Shock! Romano reporting on anther journalists story.
You know every journalist does this right?

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Don’t see any City players being part of an exchange either, can’t see likes of Mahrez, Silva, Jesus etc wanting to drop down. Maybe some youth stars with buy back options but who do they have Can’t see levy agreeing to that, he’ll want all money upfront so they can invest quickly like they done with the bale money.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spurs' first game is against City isn't it? Not a hope of this being done before that game :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Gotta say - if this all turns out to be true and Harry has decided not to turn up for training then I'm massively disappointed in him - I will also feel like an idiot for believing all the bullshit about him loving the club and he will have been shown up as a bit of a fraud all round. Not sure who is advising him to act like this but it's not good - just look at the difference between how Grealish is acting vs Kane - it's pretty damning.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
That's some bullshit right there.

He won't down tools because he fecks up his own career by doing so, who wants a player after such a thing.

Kane did what he thought was best for himself when he signed that extension, he didn't do it to do "the right thing for the club" with the goal in mind to be sold in a few years. If he had doubts about winning things at Spurs, or had doubts about his long-term future back then, either sign a shorter contract (6 years at 25 years old ffs) or don't sign a contract at all. No one forced him to.

And Kane won't go on strike if he's still there after the window has closed. Lots of players have stayed put when they wanted to be sold and I can't think of a single one who didn't perform as expected after that.
Sancho says hello... dreadful most of last season for Dortmund, especially the start.

Kane already on strike.

Need to look at the context of his career. He's lost the league Cup and Euro 2020 final this year alone. This is a guy who is supposedly a top striker, is 28 and has won absolutely nothing in his entire career :eek:!

Pretty convinced he'll do whatever it takes to get out given those facts.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The idea 100m is a fair price for Kane is bollocks. He’s the best player in the league, 3 years on his deal and has only just turned 28. Ben White just cost 50m, Rice is valued at 80m…if City want him they can pay up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd be really surprised if he purposely didn't turn up. Feels way out of character.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
People are being too romantic here about loyalty etc. Football clubs ditch you if you have no worth to them and won’t even bat an eyelid. As roy keane once said to stam, players are like kettle and clubs use them in a way that profits them. It’s all about money and results. It’s exactly the same with fans, they adore the top players and will get furious and will dramatically ramble on about loyalty/falling out of love with the game/etc if they want to leave their club. But look at how people talk about the average players at the club.

Why should players show excessive loyalty in such an environment? He knows his worth, he wants what is best for himself and is ruthless about it. That’s also how football clubs go about their business.

charlenefan

The idea 100m is a fair price for Kane is bollocks. He’s the best player in the league, 3 years on his deal and has only just turned 28. Ben White just cost 50m, Rice is valued at 80m…if City want him they can pay up.
Exactly, in a pre-covid environment Kane is worth 200m thanks to Neymar, in a post-Covid environment 150m is more than fair

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd be really surprised if he purposely didn't turn up. Feels way out of character.
I agree - I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until this a statement comes out from the club - but if this turns out to be true then the guy is a fraud.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's turning into a right Harry Pain

Zoo

I remember that hypocrite Gary Neville defending Kane after his soft PR interview on the golf course saying it couldn’t be compared to Pogba. He won’t acknowledge it though

charlenefan

I may be totally wrong here, but isn't a buyout clause illegal in England? Thought I had read something along those lines. Though I can't understand it myself, so I am probably wrong.
Nope you're right

Chief123

I can imagine Kane is frustrated but not turning up to training and throwing your toys out of the pram is a shit thing to do. Unacceptable.

He may well have had a gentleman’s agreement but there’s nothing binding about that.

The truth is when he signed a 6 year contract, it worked well for him to secure his future and livelihood. In return he has to respect the fact the contract is there to be honoured. If he wanted to be able to leave sooner, he shouldn’t have committed to such a long contract. You can’t remove all the risk from yourself and then expect the club to do what you want when you want.

I just think players missing training is becoming a bit too common and is dangerous territory. It can lead to chaos going forward. Imagine if Bruno or Sancho did the same because another big club has flirted with them, we’d be fuming.

Spurs are within their right to accept or decline any offer that comes to them. The player has all the power he wants if his contract is coming to an end. That’s how contracts should work.

Yes levy can come across as a bit of a tool. But he’s in that position to do the best for Spurs. The best guys are not always the most likeable. But that’s how business is in general.