Harry Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGbadBOO4

200 million you have got to be having a laugh. He was not worth that before covid 19. Honestly, I am already on verge of walking away from football and if United started spending money like this, well that would be it for me.

Gasolin

But they have an aging backline because Levy didnt want to sell to rivals to the point 3 of their starters ended up with 1 year left. Add in Eriksen who should have been sold 12 months earlier and you have a chairman who has put his ego in front of business.
Its hard to get the best price for players when you rule out the richest league in the world, so he ends up keeping players because his price isnt met (not a coincidence Daniel) and he wont be bullied by big clubs etc.
Its going to be the same with injury prone Kane. Theres a real chance that in 12 months we will be looking back at the performances of an unhappy player ala Eriksen and stating theyre better off without him only then who pays the fee they would command?
I hope this virus situation shows how those football clubs, besides Manchester United, thought they were big but were actually ran like small and medium businesses. Do you imagine your local theater not running out of business very soon when not having any revenue for 6 months? That's what most football clubs are comparable to, and that's where United is so unique.

This is a chance for us maybe to recover what is ours of being the top dog in the EPL now that real financials have been clarified. I for one would hope that football stays that way just long enough so that Levy freaks out with his finances. That would give us very interesting discussions...

And we should try to challenge the Kane valuation by dropping it by more than 75%. Levy won't sell, but every day, his finances will go worse, and then, who knows? Plenty of people have to sell due to that reason in real life.

Art

Art the artist
On one hand you have arguably the world's best young player in Sancho whos available for 120m to address a position that hasn't been filled properly since Ronaldo left the club, effectively completing a brilliant front three of Rashford, Martial - who's has been great since the arrival of Bruno.. and Sancho for years to come with Bruno providing for them from midfield.

On the other hand you have Spurs' captain who's had his fair share of ankle injuries and would cost us a minimum of 150m for a position we are already seem to be doing fine in with the likes of Ighalo/Greenwood as capable deputies, in addition to once again displacing Martial from the number 9 position to accommodate a slower more prolific goalscorer. Not to mention, if we go in for Kane we most certainly won't have to funds to get Sancho as well.

It isn't rocket science lads.

Gasolin

On one hand you have arguably the world's best young player in Sancho whos available for 120m to address a position that hasn't been filled properly since Ronaldo left the club, effectively completing a brilliant front three of Rashford, Martial - who's has been great since the arrival of Bruno.. and Sancho for years to come with Bruno providing for them from midfield.

On the other hand you have Spurs' captain who's had his fair share of ankle injuries and would cost us a minimum of 150m for a position we are already seem to be doing fine in with the likes of Ighalo/Greenwood as capable deputies, in addition to once again displacing Martial from the number 9 position to accommodate a slower more prolific goalscorer. Not to mention, if we go in for Kane we most certainly won't have to funds to get Sancho as well.

It isn't rocket science lads.
I agree, we shouldn't focus on Kane unless the situation evolves into a cheaper option that Spurs need to fund their finances.
Sancho should be the priority, we will bring an answer that we've needed, and with Bruno and Pogba, the attacking setup Ole has been looking for is going to take shape.

Walters_19_MuFc

If Sir Alex was still manager, even at, what you would assume would be a 100+ million, Kane would have certainly been someone he'd have tried to sign. Proven goalscorer in the Premier League. Some may say it would be harsh on Martial who seems to growing game by game, but being ruthless was the reason why Sir Alex was so successful. That said, I can't see Levy wanting to sell to us, and I feel that if we are to spend big, it should be on Sancho (if he were to come) not Kane.

BlahRules

If Sir Alex was still manager, even at, what you would assume would be a 100+ million, Kane would have certainly been someone he'd have tried to sign. Proven goalscorer in the Premier League. Some may say it would be harsh on Martial who seems to growing game by game, but being ruthless was the reason why Sir Alex was so successful. That said, I can't see Levy wanting to sell to us, and I feel that if we are to spend big, it should be on Sancho (if he were to come) not Kane.
If Sir Alex was still in charge we would have signed him after his breakout season.

Cliche Guevara

Kane's not worth 200 million, neither is any player in world football for that matter. I also disagree with those saying he's declined Spurs have overplayed him since his debut for the first team. It's a win win situation the longer Tottenham coast the more their prize assets end up discontent.

I've always applauded Levy's shrewdness from a business perspective but he's completely mishandled player sales in the last three seasons. He should have more hindsight when the demand for players is high, especially average ones like Dier.
His business performance in football is dreadful.

He could have had £150m from United for Dier, Rose and Alderweireld in the last couple of seasons. Levy would rather win the Don’t Sell to Man United trophy, than an actual football one.

Not to mention the way he’s let an excellent Spurs squad fall apart, and doubtless missed out on decent signings due to being tight.

Brophs

The One and Only
Kane probably doesn't want to stick around and be forced to muck out Levy's stables.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If Sir Alex was still in charge we would have signed him after his breakout season.
Nah. Can't think of many players SAF signed in his last 5-10 years that were players coming off the back of a breakthrough season. Rooney was one, not many others. SAF wasn't exactly a transfer marksman and I don't think he would've gone for Kane after his first breakthrough year with Spurs.

Robertd0803

He could have had £150m from United for Dier, Rose and Alderweireld in the last couple of seasons. Levy would rather win the Don’t Sell to Man United trophy, than an actual football one.

Not to mention the way he’s let an excellent Spurs squad fall apart, and doubtless missed out on decent signings due to being tight.
Great point.

Art Vandelay

Yeah we'd have been all over signing him ages ago. There's no way our frontline would be in the state it is even if it meant no improvements anywhere else. Look how long he ignored midfield while signing more forwards.

Luke1995

Would signing Kane be worth stalling the development of Rashford and Martial ?

Art Vandelay

I don't think it would affect Rashford too much since he mostly plays on the left now and does fine there for England alongside Kane. Martial is already almost 25 and Kane is a massive upgrade on him.

Luke1995

I don't think it would affect Rashford too much since he mostly plays on the left now and does fine there for England alongside Kane. Martial is already almost 25 and Kane is a massive upgrade on him.
Sure! But I think their agents would start agitating the board for moves given their clients could be playing less. That wouldn't be good if Kane were to underperform and one of them was already sold.

Anyway, i'm getting into what could be a future too much

Walters_19_MuFc

Not Rashford, but Martial.

I like Martial, I really do. We've seen how the addition of Bruno has improved him. If we can add more creativity into the side, he'll only continue to flourish, but Kane is deadly.

Given our current situation, I personally wouldn't sign Kane. In that, I think our priority should be on a right winger - preferably Sancho. If we do sign him, then I can't imagine we'll be spending that amount on another player.

Cliche Guevara

I don't disagree about Levy, but there is a tough predicament for a club like Spurs where they are always preyed upon and forced into a state no better than inertia. Selling off assets that can potentially bridge the gap is what has soured Levy in the first place (and why he hates us in particular), so I believe it is partly his ego, but equally a reluctance to constantly deconstruct sides and have to start over, worse still with other clubs then knowing they've money to spend.

Levy makes a lot of mistakes, but I do believe he has Spurs' best interest at heart.
These were essentially squad players, and Levy let his ego and genuine lack of business acumen in football get in the way to a damaging extent.

Luke1995

Not Rashford, but Martial.

I like Martial, I really do. We've seen how the addition of Bruno has improved him. If we can add more creativity into the side, he'll only continue to flourish, but Kane is deadly.

Given our current situation, I personally wouldn't sign Kane. In that, I think our priority should be on a right winger - preferably Sancho. If we do sign him, then I can't imagine we'll be spending that amount on another player.
What sets Kane apart from Martial in most fans eyes is probably what they perceive as a higher work ethic

Art Vandelay

Sure! But I think their agents would start agitating the board for moves given their clients could be playing less. That wouldn't be good if Kane were to underperform and one of them was already sold.

Anyway, i'm getting into what could be a future too much
I don't think Rashford would be agitating as he knows it wouldn't affect his position and would probably strengthen his England chances. If Martial kicked up a fuss then it would just prove he shouldn't be here and he gets moved on. We should be back to being a club where you either deliver to the point we can't upgrade on you or we upgrade on you and you deal with it or leave.

I mean you're talking about someone who has yet to deliver a consistent season of top class performances compared with one of the best strikers in the world.

Luke1995

I don't think Rashford would be agitating as he knows it wouldn't affect his position and would probably strengthen his England chances. If Martial kicked up a fuss then it would just prove he shouldn't be here and he gets moved on. We should be back to being a club where you either deliver to the point we can't upgrade on you or we upgrade on you and you deal with it or leave.

I mean you're talking about someone who has yet to deliver a consistent season of top class performances compared with one of the best strikers in the world.
I just hope we don't end up in another Sanchez situation, with a really big name who for some reason doesn't deliver for us.

I remember people being concerned at reports linking us with Bale before, basically because his best years seemed behind him. Can we expect Kane to have his best years ahead of him ?

Well, I suppose in all bussiness decisions there is a risk vs reward situation.

wolvored

Utd wont throw £200 mill at Kane, or any player at the present time. For that money you would want prime Messi or Mbappe not a player who is getting more and more injury prone. He is a good striker, but surely we can find someone to put the ball in the net for less than half that. Ive read we have about £160 mill left on the summer signings to pay out as well.
Link

Art Vandelay

I just hope we don't end up in another Sanchez situation, with a really big name who for some reason doesn't deliver for us.

I remember people being concerned at reports linking us with Bale before, basically because his best years seemed behind him. Can we expect Kane to have his best years ahead of him ?

Well, I suppose in all bussiness decisions there is a risk vs reward situation.
I honestly don't know. He could flop, anyone could flop. I still think he's a much better option than what we currently have and would be a vast improvement. He's only 27 so should be in his prime for a few years which takes the pressure off our other young forwards. I don't think we will get him, but if there's a chance I'd be all over it.

Luke1995

I honestly don't know. He could flop, anyone could flop. I still think he's a much better option than what we currently have and would be a vast improvement. He's only 27 so should be in his prime for a few years which takes the pressure off our other young forwards. I don't think we will get him, but if there's a chance I'd be all over it.
When was the last time United paid alot of money for a striker in his prime ? I think RVP came for free...

RUCK4444

I don't want us to sign a goal machine. Am I doing this right?
:lol: Yeah I think so... These guys would be the worst sports physiologists

“You’ve rolled your ankle twice? Go invest in face masks and a rocking chair Harry you feckin old cripple you!”

Imagine comparing a 26 year old Kane to the current version of Sanchez. :confused:

Gasolin

“You’ve rolled your ankle twice? Go invest in face masks and a rocking chair Harry you feckin old cripple you!”

Imagine comparing a 26 year old Kane to the current version of Sanchez. :confused:
We can exchange Kane for Sanchez if Levy is afraid of losing him... :lol: .
Not sure how this transaction would go, but we are open to the idea, I am sure about it!

Morpheus 7

Glad some in here aren't in charge, fans willing to spend 200m on Kane are mental. No resale, longevity and an injury risk. He's a great goalscorer but not the risk and gamble we need to be taking. Sancho makes so much more sense, clear out what we can in Jones, Rojo, Periera, Jesse and try and bring in solid squad signings to build. Again buying Kane would be nuts, would neglect more pressing positions.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Kane has three years in him at the top level, maybe less. In my mind 200 million is a ridiculous amount to pay for a player who has no upside. The trick is to buy players that have an upside and Kane has none.

pixel

200 million you have got to be having a laugh. He was not worth that before covid 19. Honestly, I am already on verge of walking away from football and if United started spending money like this, well that would be it for me.
I don't understand such messages. Do you reckon Woodward and Levy and the others are going to lose sleep over a random guy on an internet forum threatening to boycott football? You may be fed up with the game and the crazy money being spent. But what would prompt you to announce to the world that you are on the verge of 'walking away from football.' Surely, you would just do it if it bugged you so. Also, how much would you be ok with us splurging on Kane? Would 100m keep you in good humor? I'll have a word with the higher ups, if that's so.

Btw, totally agree on him not being worth 200m.

Gasolin

Kane has three years in him at the top level, maybe less. In my mind 200 million is a ridiculous amount to pay for a player who has no upside. The trick is to buy players that have an upside and Kane has none.
Agreed on the crazy valuation. We should low ball around 50m GBP, and see how Levy reacts.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

There’s countless instances like this. It’s just a very lazy cliche that he’s some master negotiator in football.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

The injury concerns are gradually growing, though. He missed 10 PL games through injury last season and had missed 9 out of 29 and was expected back around late April. That would’ve been another 5 matches (at the very least).

That’s around 33% of the PL matches in the last two seasons he has missed through injury.

spaceboyRSA

Kane for 200 Bar? A few years ago sure. But then he signed a silly contract extension (which was a poor decision in hindsight), that ship sailed and the world changed.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Exactly this. I know a lot of people still believe players peak at 28-29 but Kane certainly won't.

There's every chance his peak was 22-25 and although turning 27 in July is no age the warning signs are very clear.
I don’t know why people say things like this;

Shearer - Best goal return in 6th full season
Cole - 3rd full season
Fowler - 3rd
Owen - 5th
Kane - 5th

The goals trail off for almost all players as they age. You’ll get outliers due to sheer Brilliance (Aguero, Henry) or oddity (Vardy).

But all strikers ‘Peak’ early when reduced to absolute numbers. But top strikers peak as all round footballers long after their best goal return is posted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don’t know why people say things like this;

Shearer - Best goal return in 6th full season
Cole - 3rd full season
Fowler - 3rd
Owen - 5th
Kane - 5th

The goals trail off for almost all players as they age. You’ll get outliers due to sheer Brilliance (Aguero, Henry) or oddity (Vardy).

But all strikers ‘Peak’ early when reduced to absolute numbers. But top strikers peak as all round footballers long after their best goal return is posted.
I think you've totally misinterpreted my view of "peak" as being "most goals scored".

Let's ask it this way. Do you think Kane is at his peak now, or will be better in the future?

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think you've totally misinterpreted my view of "peak" as being "most goals scored".

Let's ask it this way. Do you think Kane is at his peak now, or will be better in the future?
He will be a better player in the future.
He will probably score fewer goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.