Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Erik the Red

Are we even interested in this Ferguson guy
Not sure, but he is interested in us. He said straight out he grew up a United fan, and he turned down liverpool, so if we wanted him, we would be a shoe in. There is a massive dearth of top quality number 9s aged between 20 and 30, with most of the good ones in their mid 30s, and that is why we are seriously considering a 30 year old to be our main striker for the coming years. From the little he has played Evan Ferguson appears to have the tools to be a top striker, and he already has one of the best goals to minutes ratios in the league (admittedly based on a small sample size).

lysglimt

Scout
Forget Kane - he is 30 in the summer - we already have Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno and Varane who are in that bracket - we don't need one key-player more who will start to go past his peak in 12-18 months.

We need energy - Kane brings a lot, but not energy

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Forget Kane - he is 30 in the summer - we already have Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno and Varane who are in that bracket - we don't need one key-player more who will start to go past his peak in 12-18 months.

Elanga works hard, as energetic as a kid when you give them a happy meal and below 30.

footballbite

Are we even interested in this Ferguson guy
One would assume that every big PL club will have an eye on a player who has burst on to the scene in the PL the way he has.

It's still too early to say though whether he'll emerge as a serious target for anyone given how few games he's played - but if he keeps his performance level up until the end of the season then a club like Utd searching for one or two forwards would be foolish to not have him under consideration. He seems to be a Man Utd fan as well.

Sviken

Ferguson or Osimhen for me. Kane is too old, especially for a striker position.

Erik the Red

I'd rather be Champions and looking to replace 1-2 older players per season, than massively overpay for an average player (Lukaku says hi) who flops and we end up finishing fifth, and need to replace those players a year or two later anyway. At least when buying kids, they hold their value and we can move them on because their salaries are not ridiculous, but if we signed Osimhen, Vlahovic, etc., for massive money and wages, we are stuck if they flop. In my opinion, Kane is the closest we can get to a certain striking success, and due to his age he will likely be c.£50m cheaper than Osimhen, which would pay for a Sesko or Evan Ferguson, and leave some change. Osimhen looks interesting, but I am not convinced by his first touch, and at £140m, he represents a massive risk.

lysglimt

Scout
Elanga works hard, as energetic as a kid when you give them a happy meal and below 30.
I assumed it wasn't necessary to write that I didn't want us to sign a hyper 6 year old as a striker, when I said we needed someone with energy. I will improve next time

Wing Attack Plan R

That is a very sobering point: in 2 years we will need to have replaced our best 4 players, 3 of which are our perennial nightmare of finding capable midfielders. A rebuild right after the rebuild.

El Zoido

This makes a good argument for Kane, imo. So we get someone younger and not as developed, and by the time he’s ready, many of the key players are ready to be replaced. If we get Kane then we have a core of experienced players ready to go. Most of these younger players are not Haaland, and probably will need some time to settle in. Kane would be like RVP and hit the ground running.

Crimson King

Not sure, but he is interested in us. He said straight out he grew up a United fan, and he turned down liverpool, so if we wanted him, we would be a shoe in. There is a massive dearth of top quality number 9s aged between 20 and 30, with most of the good ones in their mid 30s, and that is why we are seriously considering a 30 year old to be our main striker for the coming years. From the little he has played Evan Ferguson appears to have the tools to be a top striker, and he already has one of the best goals to minutes ratios in the league (admittedly based on a small sample size).
I think it's too early to think about signing this kid, especially as it wouldn't come cheap...

If he continues how he's started and finishes the season with an impressive haul of goals then it might be worth revisiting though.

Rolaholic

The main reason I'd sign Kane over other options would be if Utd had a shedload of cash, meaning they could therefore still afford to sign someone like Ferguson as well to be his understudy and eventual successor. It'd also help prevent Kane being run in to the ground when his pace and fitness issues have been a concern. Really Utd will need to sign 2 CFs soon anyway (even this summer), with Weghorst and Martial unlikely to be at the club next season.

Signing a stop-gap like Thuram, Vlahovic or Osimhen might be short-sighted and block the chance of signing someone like Ferguson who could actually develop to be the next big thing.
In what world are early 20 somethings like Vlahovic and Osimhen considered stop-gaps??

The definition must've changed

Lux Thunder

Will never understand people calling Kane old at 30 when you can see Benzema and Lewandowski at the elite level who are even older than him. He is not a striker who relies on pure pace like Vardy or Aubameyang, so with his style of play, I think he still has at least 4-5 years of scoring 25+ league goals.

Also, Bruno, Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen, DDG, etc. are not getting any younger so if we aim to win trophies with this group of players I have no problem with signing Kane - we have to match our spine prime years to compete for EPL or CL next year, not someone who will start to peak later.

croadyman

Will never understand people calling Kane old at 30 when you can see Benzema and Lewandowski at the elite level who are even older than him. He is not a striker who relies on pure pace like Vardy or Aubameyang, so with his style of play, I think he still has at least 4-5 years of scoring 25+ league goals.

Also, Bruno, Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen, DDG, etc. are not getting any younger so if we aim to win trophies with this group of players I have no problem with signing Kane - we have to match our spine prime years to compete for EPL or CL next year, not someone who will start to peak later.
Yeah your second paragraph is why I am still favouring him over Osimhen

croadyman

Intrigued if Erik is looking for a starter and backup striker with similar profile,so Kane & Weghorst or does he want opposite styles in his options

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Spurs need a GK this summer.
We need a striker.

Just be clever and include Henderson in the deal to reduce the price.
It will be 50M and deal done,

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is a very sobering point: in 2 years we will need to have replaced our best 4 players, 3 of which are our perennial nightmare of finding capable midfielders. A rebuild right after the rebuild.
In 2 years Bruno will be 30, Varane will be 31 and Casemiro will be 32. Why in the world would they need to be replaced by then? Eriksen is the only one who may be a off by then but it's not necessarily due to his age — 32 it still normal age for a midfielder to play at top level.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Let him stay, he lacks ambition, and clearly doesn't have the mindset to deal with the pressure of playing for a top club like Manchester United.
The "lack of ambition" argument always amuses me.

What's more ambitious - staying with your current club, which is a top 6 side, and trying to help elevate them to achieve a historic feat (by winning any Cup Trophy), or moving to a perennial winner like City or Bayern?

Taking the easy route and joining City shows a lack or ambition.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

You could also argue they're all at a perfect age, including Kane, to capitalise on their ability and earn you a title/major trophy.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
In 2 years Bruno will be 30, Varane will be 31 and Casemiro will be 32. Why in the world would they need to be replaced by then? Eriksen is the only one who may be a off by then but it's not necessarily due to his age — 32 it still normal age for a midfielder to play at top level.
Yeah this isn't FM. I imagine Kane will be effective into his 30's as he's never been a player that has relied on pace to excel. In two years time (if you signed him) you'd have the five experienced quality to WC players. Experience is just as important as young exuberance.

The main issue with Kane is, would he fit in the game style the the Manager wants to employ?

Pintu

What's more ambitious - staying with your current club, which is a top 6 side, and trying to help elevate them to achieve a historic feat (by winning any Cup Trophy), or moving to a perennial winner like City or Bayern?

It depends where you move and what you achieve… I think Nasri & Fabregas did the right thing in the summer of 2011… And of course, so did RvP a year later...You were stuck in a project that was focused on making money instead of fighting for titles. Any ambitious player reaching their peak would want to be fighting for big trophies rather than celebrating top 4 finishes and hoping for an unlikely Cup success…

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It depends where you move and what you achieve… I think Nasri & Fabregas did the right thing in the summer of 2011… And of course, so did RvP a year later...You were stuck in a project that was focused on making money instead of fighting for titles. Any ambitious player reaching their peak would want to be fighting for big trophies rather than celebrating top 4 finishes and hoping for an unlikely Cup success…
Good point, you are right.

If he believes that the club won't make any moves to improve then you can't blame him for leaving. As much as it hurt at the time I didn't blame RVP for leaving.

footballbite

In what world are early 20 somethings like Vlahovic and Osimhen considered stop-gaps??

The definition must've changed
I mean it as much in the sense of their quality and profile, as much as their age.

I'm not convinced that either of them are truly top-tier, and as with someone like Antony it might just be a case of signing them because Utd need to sign someone, rather than because they're truly elite in their position; and it wouldn't be long before fans started wishing for a replacement.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Has to be said that 30 isn't what it used to be - in general.

In theory, we could get several (three? four? five?) seasons out of him as a prime or close-to-prime player.

The "energy" you speak of could be taken care of by players surrounding him.

I'm not saying we should go all-in for Kane. I'm not convinced he's even the right fit for ETH. But his age really isn't that much of a concern for me.

Wing Attack Plan R

Rephrase it as, we will need to start the search. I took the previous poster’s comment that they were all about to turn 30 at face value, and having the 4 best players on our team 32 years old in 2 years’ time would be alarming if we weren’t hunting their replacements.

LordSpud

All this talk of Kane or Osimhen and its clear as day Weghorst will end up having to be the first choice No 9 next season

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Go get Kane and we are instanlty title contenders next year...and then go get the next young up and coming striker two years thereafter. Kane is the perfect striker to play with Rashford, his link up game is head and shoulders better than Osimehn.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Unless City or Bayern is interested in his service, otherwise may be it is best for him to stay with Spurs. Man Utd is still a project in progress. He stays with Spurs and retire there, he will be cemented as a Spurs legend. It is not an easy decision.

croadyman

All this talk of Kane or Osimhen and its clear as day Weghorst will end up having to be the first choice No 9 next season
Only way that can happen is if ownership situation still up in the air,I am confident that won't be the case in the end but chances are there will be some twists first to get us all nervous.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Unless City or Bayern is interested in his service, otherwise may be it is best for him to stay with Spurs. Man Utd is still a project in progress. He stays with Spurs and retire there, he will be cemented as a Spurs legend. It is not an easy decision.
He's a Spurs legend whatever he does

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Does Harry Kane play good with holding the ball with his back to goal?

I know his passing is great but I’m not sure if he has that ability to hold the ball with his back to goal before playing it off to someone.

Maybe someone can say if he does or not.

I’ve noticed that ability in Weghorst and Martial - but maybe Kane has something that those 2 won’t have either.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does Harry Kane play good with holding the ball with his back to goal?

I know his passing is great but I’m not sure if he has that ability to hold the ball with his back to goal before playing it off to someone.

Maybe someone can say if he does or not.

I’ve noticed that ability in Weghorst and Martial - but maybe Kane has something that those 2 won’t have either.
Yes he’s excellent at it

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He will be meme'd his entire life for winning nothing at Spurs. United look 1-2 seasons from winning trophies and to be honest you wouldn't bet against them taking one this season.