Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Pexbo
@Remember the geese

Wonder if we will go for the better version of Martial/Weghorst in Kane or go for a different style striker in Osimhen.

Osihmen seems good, fast and tall but we lack crossing and I don’t see how he links with Rashford the way Kane would.

Marwood

Does Harry Kane play good with holding the ball with his back to goal?

I know his passing is great but I’m not sure if he has that ability to hold the ball with his back to goal before playing it off to someone.

Maybe someone can say if he does or not.

I’ve noticed that ability in Weghorst and Martial - but maybe Kane has something that those 2 won’t have either.
He's way better than both Martial and Weghorst at it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Does Harry Kane play good with holding the ball with his back to goal?

I know his passing is great but I’m not sure if he has that ability to hold the ball with his back to goal before playing it off to someone.

Maybe someone can say if he does or not.

I’ve noticed that ability in Weghorst and Martial - but maybe Kane has something that those 2 won’t have either.
That's one of Kane's strengths, he is one of the very best with his back to goal.

Remember the geese

@Pexbo
@Remember the geese

Wonder if we will go for the better version of Martial/Weghorst in Kane or go for a different style striker in Osimhen.

Osihmen seems good, fast and tall but we lack crossing and I don’t see how he links with Rashford the way Kane would.
Well recent reports indicate that Kane is open to signing a new contract with Spurs and Osimhen may be deemed too expensive. Goncalo Ramos, although pricey himself, may be the most viable alternative. Out of the two, I would say that Ramos is closer to Kane stylistically.

Bebestation

Well recent reports indicate that Kane is open to signing a new contract with Spurs and Osimhen may be deemed too expensive. Goncalo Ramos, although pricey himself, may be the most viable alternative. Out of the two, I would say that Ramos is closer to Kane stylistically.
I thought about him yesterday too. He seems like a very good poacher type player but I’m not sure again if that links that well with Rashford’s ability’s.

Remember the geese

I thought about him yesterday too. He seems like a very good poacher type player but I’m not sure again if that links that well with Rashford’s ability’s.
Yeah it is difficult to judge how his performances in Portugal would translate over here. Purely comparing because he played for Benfica, but he looks a better/more refined footballer than Darwin Nunez and he is more adept at dropping deep, however, he doesn't really have that level of pace, nor Kane's passing range I would suggest. It's a tricky one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah it is difficult to judge how his performances in Portugal would translate over here. Purely comparing because he played for Benfica, but he looks a better/more refined footballer than Darwin Nunez and he is more adept at dropping deep, however, he doesn't really have that level of pace, nor Kane's passing range I would suggest. It's a tricky one.
Have seen nothing of him but just took a look at his stats....

We talk about Nunez' ability to get chances being his great strength, and you can see that in his stats given his non-penalty xG per 90 min has been a very high 0.74/0.69 this season and last. Similarly someone like Osimhen has consistently managed 0.61-0.65 across three seasons at Napoli, so again promising.

Last season Ramos "just" registered 0.48 per 90. But this season across 16 games he's averaging a massive 1.02. In other words his 12 goals in 16 games is him underperforming. That's pretty striking.

Remember the geese

We talk about Nunez' ability to get chances being his great strength, and you can see that in his stats given his non-penalty xG per 90 min has been a very high 0.74/0.69 this season and last. Similarly someone like Osimhen has consistently managed 0.61-0.65 across three seasons at Napoli, so again promising.

Last season Ramos "just" registered 0.48 per 90. But this season across 16 games he's averaging a massive 1.02. In other words his 12 goals in 16 games is him underperforming. That's pretty striking.
Interesting. You can see why Nunez is underperforming his xG. He is quick, hard working and has good movement, but is a bit of a wild cannon. Ramos however, seems more composed and mature in the way that he plays, so him underperforming his xG probably bodes quite well for the future you'd have thought.

mav_9me

That's an impressive jump. Suggestive of a striker continuing to develop.

croadyman

Yeah our top two targets look tricky and Ramos could well be next on our shortlist not Sesko/Vlahovic as I thought initially

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's an impressive jump. Suggestive of a striker continuing to develop.
And I think I might be right in saying his role changed after Nunez left? Which might go some way to explaining why that stat was a lot lower the season before? People who actually watch him might know better.

NoPace

He played as a 10 in the CL games I saw them in last year, since Nunez needed space to operate up top. So he was marking the DM on the other team a fair bit when they were out of possession and linking up. I assume he'd fit what Ten Hag has set up this year really nicely.

croadyman

He played as a 10 in the CL games I saw them in last year, since Nunez needed space to operate up top. So he was marking the DM on the other team a fair bit when they were out of possession and linking up. I assume he'd fit what Ten Hag has set up this year really nicely.
Can't help feeling we could still do with someone prolific up front because unlike Arsenal haven't got enough contributors from midfield and wide areas to take it off Rashford.

ForeverRed1

He would be unbelievable at united. Exactly the kind of player fergie would have gone all out for. He could come here and be the catalyst for us. It’s wether he has the ambition/balls to make such a jump. I guess time will tell if he signs a new contract at spurs.

got a feeling he could be this years summer saga.

cyberman

He would be unbelievable at united. Exactly the kind of player fergie would have gone all out for. He could come here and be the catalyst for us. It’s wether he has the ambition/balls to make such a jump. I guess time will tell if he signs a new contract at spurs.

got a feeling he could be this years summer saga.
Didn’t SAF say he would never do business with Spurs again?

Erik the Red

Last season Ramos was playing more of a support striker role behind Nunez. This season he is their main striker.

romufc

Does he press decent or not much? That's my biggest question.
None at all. This is my biggest issue in signing Harry Kane. He will offer nothing without the ball, a bit like CR7.

The annoying thing is Kane only has 2 speeds, slow and stop.

SteveCoppellFan

Have people stopped watching Harry Kane play these days ?

He's playing in a Spurs side that is not always showing attacking intent and yet Kane delivers nearly every week with a good performance.

The bloke has been doing it for years, and to say he's not good enough for United these days is mind boggling.

Personally .. I do not think he will leave Spurs ( only for City but that ship has sailed ) so I expect him to stay.

He would be one hell of a signing for United.

Salford_Red83

He's playing in a Spurs side that is not always showing attacking intent and yet Kane delivers nearly every week with a good performance.

The bloke has been doing it for years, and to say he's not good enough for United these days is mind boggling.

Personally .. I do not think he will leave Spurs ( only for City but that ship has sailed ) so I expect him to stay.

Passed it int' he mate!
Almost 30, put him out to pasture, need someone younger etc etc etc /s

I would love if we signed Kane to be honest, i'm sure he'd score n absolute ton of goals for us

Drizzle

Exactly. The guy is literally one of the top 3 strikers on planet earth and yet we shouldn't sign him because he's 30.

He's no slower than he was 2 or 3 years ago (ie slow/medium). And his workrate is no less. Superb player.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Didn't he want to join City in 2021 to the point where he didn't turn up for training?
Weird that he is open to a new Spurs contract. He was sick of Spurs at some point.

talking robot

Would love him at United, but dont think he will move to us this summer. I think Tottenham wont sell and will force him to run his contract down. So I predict he wont be available until the summer of 2024. Hope I’m wrong and we can land him this summer.

StiffTackle

Didn't he want to join City in 2021 to the point where he didn't turn up for training?
Weird that he is open to a new Spurs contract. He was sick of Spurs at some point.
Presumably he’s realised that he’ll never play for Arsenal or Chelsea, City and Liverpool have invested heavily in younger strikers so they wouldnt take him and he might not believe United are a prospect for trophies. Hes never moving abroad, not until he gets the league scoring record - so maybe he thinks being a one club man at spurs is the right thing for him.

Bebestation

I don’t think we will sign Kane.

He is the ultimate version of Martial and Weghorst- buying Kane would just give 3 varied qualities of the same type of player.

Osihmen gives us something that we do not currently have. At the same time - Osihmen would instantly become our main attacker so playing him in arguably changes a lot of the tactics we played this season.

We either keep the back up versions of Kane ( Martial/Wout) and go for Osihmen - or we go for the ultimate version of Martial/Wout in Kane and try to find the back up version of Osihmen.

Whilst Rashford’s not a striker - I do think he will get games centrally as well, because we have so many wingers in Garanacho, Sancho,Amad, Antony, Pellestri and maybe even more.

croadyman

He is the ultimate version of Martial and Weghorst- buying Kane would just give 3 varied qualities of the same type of player.

Osihmen gives us something that we do not currently have. At the same time - Osihmen would instantly become our main attacker so playing him in arguably changes a lot of the tactics we played this season.

We either keep the back up versions of Kane ( Martial/Wout) and go for Osihmen - or we go for the ultimate version of Martial/Wout in Kane and try to find the back up version of Osihmen.

Whilst Rashford’s not a striker - I do think he will get games centrally as well, because we have so many wingers in Garanacho, Sancho,Amad, Antony, Pellestri and maybe even more.
You have totally nailed the dilemma with that third paragraph,however question is who is the best back up version of Osimhen because struggling to come up with names.

Doracle

This doesn’t really make sense. We don’t need two different types of striker. We just want one who works well with our team, and then a back up who can do the same job reliably well.

Martial fits our team well but is always injured and probably isn’t quite good enough to be a certain starter even when fit. Kane is a far superior version who is rarely injured and will work with our existing team.

We don’t need to then get a back up who plays a completely different style. We either keep Martial, if he’s happy with a slightly reduced role (he’d still play lots of games if we are fighting on all fronts) or we get a similar profile player who can easily slot in for Kane.

lex talionis

Martial and Weghorst are nothing like nor anywhere near the level of Kane.

In the unlikely event we bring in Kane, we would now have a complete striker. Mentally strong, relatively good injury record and incredible consistency at the highest level. We probably don’t bring Weggy back and although Martial would be mentally shattered if we brought in Kane, we can’t even give him away on a free so he’d have to adapt to being cover for Kane, as Garnacho would clearly be first choice behind Rashford.

Abraxas

I don't think the issue is whether he's good enough for United, it's whether he is the right option. You can guarantee it will be something the manager is also mulling over.

There are so many considerations that go into that. Age, wages and fees to deal with Levy, how it affects other market moves if we pay that.

Then you have on pitch considerations. Harry Kane has no pace at all but more importantly given the manager has worked with slowish strikers before - he doesn't press. Those are the two major weaknesses in his game, everything else is superb. The manager is constantly talking about pressing from the front and in Harry Kane you don't get that.

Also you say Harry Kane has been playing in a team without attacking intent. But to my eyes it looks like every team with Harry Kane lacks attacking fluidity, whether it be Spurs or internationally. That has been going on over years now. When was Harry Kane last in an exciting footballing side - under Poch perhaps? I sometimes wonder if Harry Kane brings guaranteed goals and assists but what he does for the overall progression of our team and whether it's all coincidence that teams look tumescent with him.

Doracle

I don't think the issue is whether he's good enough for United, it's whether he is the right option. You can guarantee it will be something the manager is also mulling over.

There are so many considerations that go into that. Age, wages and fees to deal with Levy, how it affects other market moves if we pay that.

Then you have on pitch considerations. Harry Kane has no pace at all but more importantly given the manager has worked with slowish strikers before - he doesn't press. Those are the two major weaknesses in his game, everything else is superb. The manager is constantly talking about pressing from the front and in Harry Kane you don't get that.

Also you say Harry Kane has been playing in a team without attacking intent. But to my eyes it looks like every team with Harry Kane lacks attacking fluidity, whether it be Spurs or internationally. That has been going on over years now. When was Harry Kane last in an exciting footballing side - under Poch perhaps? I sometimes wonder if Harry Kane brings guaranteed goals and assists but what he does for the overall progression of our team and whether it's all coincidence that teams look tumescent with him.
It’s just flat out wrong that Kane has “no pace at all”. Weghorst is an example of an outright slow player. He looks like he is running in treacle. Kane is clearly not fast, by premier league standards, but he has adequate pace to hold his own and rarely gets caught if he gets some space. If anything, he actually seems more mobile than ever currently.

Kane’s last three club managers have been Mourinho, Nuno and Conte - they are the very definition of negative managers. There is no way at all that Kane is the cause of Spurs looking defensive. He’s the absolute perfect option for a team with attacking intent given how brilliant he is at bringing others into play.