Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

romufc

I totally agree, this is my argument around him. You look at the raw stats and you can't argue with it. He's a fantastic player. He's got fantastic ability as a playmaker too, albeit he can be a bit cumbersome. But when it comes to delivering silverware? Harry Kane gets a lot of excuses made for him because of his team but he's had some opportunities for Spurs and England and he usually under delivers.

People argue he's done as much as he can in those sides, but has he? What makes our current team substantially closer to winning a major trophy than England or Spurs under Poch? I would argue we are at a similar level. We are not the favourites for any competition we enter. So that means when we sign Harry Kane and put him on a huge contract into his 30s we're saying we are buying you to get us over the line. Can he actually do that or will he fold like a pack of cards?

He's a risk in my eyes. Not to fail to score goals as he guarantees that, but that he'll be a difference maker. I wouldn't be surprised if we play towards Kane's strengths, he scores 30 goals and we get no closer to winning.
Agreed, its a line thrown to make Spurs fans feel better, the times where a WC winning mentality is required, he shy's away from it. Spurs going for title, Spurs CL final, England WC Semis, England Euros final, England WC quarter, Harry Kane has failed on every occasion.

He is a terrific striker, gets loads of goals, yet in the big moments, he is nowhere to be seen. I actually do think Harry Kane at 30 is a risk too big to take, with injuries, pace, its all too much. I would rather us stay clear, especially if he has that complacent mentality.

Ten Hag is building the mentality of winners, we dont need someone to come spoil that. Ronaldo scored loads of goals yet the team players worse.

Ten Hag needs a ST who will press, no point signing Kane when he can barely jog of the ball.

Bwuk

I mean, obviously he's open to renewing.

What if Spurs offered him 800k a week? It's not going to happen and I don't think he renews.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Generally I don't buy the whole "staying at a club who won't win trophies shows a poor mentality" thing. You could have a superb mentality but still want to stay at your long-term club for other reasons. It isn't inherently a fault.

In this case though we know he wanted to leave last season, specifically citing his desire to win the biggest trophies as his main focus. So what would have changed?

Of course having been burned by being so public in his desire to leave last summer, maybe this is just the right noise for him to be putting out at this point regardless of whether he still wants to leave or not.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The same people that belittle Kane for staying at Spurs rather than win trophies are probably the same people that dismiss Phillips for sitting on the bench at City.

angak

We're going to pay $85m for a 30 year old striker with bad ankles. Way too risky.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If we get new owners how does that matter? And if you take out the owners issue, a striker scoring 20/25 goals leads us to even one PL/CL then I would say it’s well worth.
I’m not disagreeing with you mate. I was suggesting it’s a good deal

MUFC OK

Seems crazy to turn him down but for £85m I'd rather go for a younger striker. Sesko and Osimhen could be better options but personally dont want us to spend a fortune on a number 9 - and the scrutiny that comes with it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If he signs a new contract with Spurs in their current state it says it all about the height of his ambitions

Guy Incognito

Let's be honest, if the 'right' offer comes along then he'll be off.

I think he's learnt from his failed City move and will keep all options open. Which includes staying at Spurs.

MegadrivePerson

Why do people believe this btw? a rumour or did he say this in an interview?
Ornstein is one of the more reliable journalists. He's not a clickbait merchant like many others.

It's staggering if he decides to stay at Spurs. His list of honours is currently as below,

Football League/EFL Cup runner-up: 2014–15 and 2020–21
UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2018–19

Three runners up medals!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't have anything against him staying with Spurs and being a one club man. But don't sell that bs about your priority always being Spurs when you so desperately tried to force the move.

Hughes35

What injury history? He's played 40 plus games every season bar 2 since he broke through into the first team
Was just going to post his. There is a weird stigma that Kane is always injured. He's actually very very reliable.

Lecland07

We're going to pay $85m for a 30 year old striker with bad ankles. Way too risky.

His ankle issues are massively overblown. He missed 4 games in 20/21 due to it.. The time before was 2 games in 17/18, which means he had two and a half seasons without an ankle injury (ankle injury was January). He has also been injury free from 20/21 onwards.

Also, I'm not really buying into that article. Even though it is Ornstein, 'open to' is a bit of a loose term - there is no conviction to it. He might be 'open to' discuss a new contract but he may not be 'open to' signing. It is a bit of waffle, to be honest.

OrcaFat

I think he’ll leave Spurs if there are any takers out of us, City and Liverpool but not otherwise. Why would he bother?

Regardless, I would be amazed if he signed an extension at this point because it just eliminates his options unnecessarily. It’s almost unthinkable that he could be worse off by letting his contract run down; he’ll still have great offers, a year from now, from good clubs, probably Spurs included.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think he’ll leave Spurs if there are any takers out of us, City and Liverpool but not otherwise. Why would he bother?

Regardless, I would be amazed if he signed an extension at this point because it just eliminates his options unnecessarily. It’s almost unthinkable that he could be worse off by letting his contract run down; he’ll still have great offers, a year from now, from good clubs, probably Spurs included.
One major injury and letting a contract run out becomes a silly decision from a financial perspective

And yes, a lot of money is not enough money, especially for footballers who have a limited earning window

And it depends on the terms of the new contract. He could sign a contract conditional on Spurs including a formal release clause if several conditions are triggered.

OrcaFat

One major injury and letting a contract run out becomes a silly decision from a financial perspective

And yes, a lot of money is not enough money, especially for footballers who have a limited earning window

And it depends on the terms of the new contract. He could sign a contract conditional on Spurs including a formal release clause if several conditions are triggered.
Yeah it would be a slight gamble for Kane to let it run down. Loads of players do it but he might not want to, sure. Can’t see Spurs giving him a get out of jail free card but you never know.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah it would be a slight gamble for Kane to let it run down. Loads of players do it but he might not want to, sure. Can’t see Spurs giving him a get out of jail free card but you never know.
Same, Levy is a bastard. Kane and his brother can't be dumb enough to do a gentleman agreement again... can they?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
People are allowed to change their mind. Especially regarding their careers.
That's fair enough, God knows I did the same!

However, a bit of honesty would be refreshing, not pretending you always acted and felt the same. But whatever, it is not even that important and it is his choice.

Doracle

Top footballers are made for life nowadays. The gamble is more with Spurs because Kane, subconsciously or not, will protect himself more in the last year of his contract, so they will have a less committed player with no ongoing value to them. It’s another reason why, if he won’t re-sign (and I don’t see any reason at all why he would) they really need to get the best deal they can in the summer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If he stays in Spurs then that will be biggest waste of career which i have ever seen. Guy is world class.

I still hope that we will sign him. In other words....that he is not that stupid to stay there

acnumber9

I have to laugh at the people turning their nose up at the idea of signing Kane. He’s the sole reason Spurs are in the top half of the table.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If he stays in Spurs then that will be biggest waste of career which i have ever seen. Guy is world class.

I still hope that we will sign him. In other words....that he is not that stupid to stay there
Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs a new contract

Doracle

Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs a new contract
If he does, so be it. That’s his decision and we can’t do anything about it. All the club/team can do is have as strong a second half of the season as possible - a trophy plus finishing a long way above Spurs is essential.

Irwin99

One goal away from being their all-time top scorer. Surely after he breaks the record he has to think about what he can win at a bigger club.

SAF is the GOAT

Feck him, lets go on Vlahovic or Ramos

Yeah feck him, let's go for players half his ability that'll show him
He's a 30yo with shaky knees, very expensive high fee, his ability will only deteriorate and he'll ask for silly money

We don't need to beg no one - he can stay there if he wants.

Last edited: