Harry Maguire’s speed...

romufc

Upamecano, Torunarigha and Konate are decent all-rounders. Good on the ball, strong in the air and quick. All under 23 years old, too.
How often have you watched them play? I watched Upamecano when football came back and he looked no where near ready for the PL. Alot of indecisive moments, giving the ball away.

He also plays in a 3 back, a different formation to us.

Infra-red

How often have you watched them play? I watched Upamecano when football came back and he looked no where near ready for the PL. Alot of indecisive moments, giving the ball away.

He also plays in a 3 back, a different formation to us.
I've seen a lot of Upamecano and Konate in the past two seasons, quite a bit less of Torunarigha (only 2020 calendar year).

RBL seem to change their system pretty much every week. In fact, I don't think I can recall watching a side that is as well adapted to so many different systems, which I guess is a testament to the tactical nous and coaching ability of Nagelsmann. They have used a back four at least as often as a back three, in the games I've seen of theirs this season.

Edit: just checked - in the Bundesliga, they started with a back four on 21 occasions, back three in the remainder.

Last edited:

Infra-red

I reckon his pace his actually quicker than it looks. Can be deceiving as he doesn't look like he's putting a sweat on.
As others have said, it's his lack of agility/acceleration that's the problem, rather than outright pace/top speed.

It's certainly not a disaster - he's a solid player - you just would ideally want a quick CB partnered with him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I've seen a lot of Upamecano and Konate in the past two seasons, quite a bit less of Torunarigha (only 2020 calendar year).

RBL seem to change their system pretty much every week. In fact, I don't think I can recall watching a side that is as well adapted to so many different systems, which I guess is a testament to the tactical nous and coaching ability of Nagelsmann. They have used a back four at least as often as a back three, in the games I've seen of theirs this season.

Edit: just checked - in the Bundesliga, they started with a back four on 21 occasions, back three in the remainder.
So would consider any of them to be a much better or signant upgrade to Lindelof?

Revan

Assumptionman
I wouldn't mind a monster partner for him either - that would be great. It would be even better if we could replace Maguire himself with a monster CB (which he isn't) AND add another monster to create a latter-day Rio/Vidic combo. Sure.

But meanwhile, I would like to remind people that we aren't actually terrible defensively as it stands.

We have conceded less goals this season (a very sketchy, patchy season at that) than any team except the winners. And our xGA is even better (if you fancy that sort of thing).

And - most importantly: we now, finally, look capable of coming up with answers. If you can score five with ease (and - yes - that is exactly what we did the other day), you don't rely on having a water tight defence.
I think it is even.

I agree with your main point though. Our defense is good. Probably not 200m good (which is what we paid for the four main defenders) but it good enough. It definitely can improved though, in fact, there isn't any position there that cannot be improved.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His pace his fine, and even his acceleration is decent for a player of his size, it's that change of direction. His agility is poor. A 90 degree turn takes an age. Lindelof is similar, but not quite as slow on the turn.

There's not many 6ft4 centre backs who are all that agile though. Smalling was one of the more mobile centrebacks around, but his weaknesses lied elsewhere. Bailly seems to be much more mobile than Maguire and Lindelof but also has flaws in other parts of his game.

Is there a CB out there that has pace to burn, agile, physically commanding on the ground and in the air, good on the ball, and has a robust understanding of his position? For me, I think you pretty much always going to have to sacrifice at least one of those traits, if not more.
Yes there is a player with all those traits playing for RB Leipzig and helped them last season in having the best defensive record in the German Bundesliga.

I repeat all those traits - 6'4, rapid, monster defensive capability on the ground and in the air and also regarded as being the best CB at bringing the ball out from defence in the league. And he plays in a team under Nagelsmann that plays the high press which is a big bonus.

The question wouldn't be who plays alongside Maguire if we signed him, but rather who plays alongside Ibrahima Konate IMO.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He lacks acceleration and agility, not necessarily raw speed which in football is fairly useless, except if you're a winger and sprinting the length of the pitch on the counter.

Needham

Apparently he's equipped with a gear box. But it's hard to fecking switch on.

Raven

I like him as a player but his complete lack of agility is worrying for me.

Camilo

I would consider both players to be upgrades on Lindelof and, crucially, I'd say that both of them are stylistically better fits with Maguire.
Regarding Maguire, while I'm sure we could find quicker and more agile defenders, we won't find too many better on the ball and we'll find even fewer who can keep us solid during corners and free kicks. I think we'd easily end up in a "one step forward, three steps back" situation.. Lindelof, sure. Decent player but a little sketchy at times.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
His pace his fine, and even his acceleration is decent for a player of his size, it's that change of direction. His agility is poor. A 90 degree turn takes an age. Lindelof is similar, but not quite as slow on the turn.

There's not many 6ft4 centre backs who are all that agile though. Smalling was one of the more mobile centrebacks around, but his weaknesses lied elsewhere. Bailly seems to be much more mobile than Maguire and Lindelof but also has flaws in other parts of his game.

Is there a CB out there that has pace to burn, agile, physically commanding on the ground and in the air, good on the ball, and has a robust understanding of his position? For me, I think you pretty much always going to have to sacrifice at least one of those traits, if not more.
Akanje,Konate, Upamecano are all decent options.

Infra-red

Regarding Maguire, while I'm sure we could find quicker and more agile defenders, we won't find too many better on the ball and we'll find even fewer who can keep us solid during corners and free kicks. I think we'd easily end up in a "one step forward, three steps back" situation.. Lindelof, sure. Decent player but a little sketchy at times.
I'm not advocating replacing Maguire - he's a solid player who I'd keep in the side.

I'd replace Lindelof with someone quicker, thereby relegating Lindelof to a squad role as Maguire's backup.

Jazmodo

I'm not advocating replacing Maguire - he's a solid player who I'd keep in the side.

I'd replace Lindelof with someone quicker, thereby relegating Lindelof to a squad role as Maguire's backup.
Bailly was playing really quite well before his injury last season, I'm still hoping he makes a drastic improvement.

He was great at times - strong, fast & commanding. He just seems so rusty lately...

ICHM

Bailly needs games, a 5 game run and he would be a different player.

LuckyScout78

I am still waiting for a new Lucio or Stam to arrive. A completion of a CB. Two beast of a CB

Stam was helping Sir Alex to achieve the treble with United
Lucio was helping Mourinho to achieve the treble with Inter

So if a CB of the level exist on today market. They will no doubt cost 100 £ mill +

Maguire should be more a bad ass, turn on the top aggressive and make attacking players fear you. The fear factor.
Im feeling a bit chill with Maguire and way to kind as a CB. Tough and top aggressive, but on a fair level. Play on the limit. Vidic had it.

Yeah Maguire is lacking top acceleration. But he is still lacking at other areas too. Toughness and aggression.

Lucio and Stam were not small guy too. But they had everything. Maybe i am expecting too much of Maguire. I am not sure if he could reach the top level of a CB and become one of the CB in the world. Right now. Maguire is on the level under the best CB.

Maybe the really quick and aggressive CB from Turkey playing for Leicester City will complements Maguire lack of top acceleration. Then United could buy another CB from Leicester City. Maybe Smalling or Jones can go the other way. So definitely . United do need a CB with top acceleration, beside top football skills of a CB.

Rossa

As others have stated, his top speed is fine if not outstanding, but he lacks acceleration and his agility is frankly terrible.

people also refer to Vidic and how he had Rio who covered him, which is true, but on his left he had one of the most athletic fullbacks the PL has seen in Evra. Shaw has very good top speed, but, to a lesser degree than Maguire, he also lacks acceleration and agility and can get skinned. Then you have DDG refusing to leave his 6 yard box leaving far too much space between him and his defenders.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pace isn't his problem.

His problem is games like the Bournemouth one where he decides he's going to defend like he's in a school playground and take 10 seconds to pass the ball 6 yards whenever he gets it.

He's made a lot of mistakes which have led to chances or goals this season and very few have beendown to his pace. Even the ones that were are invariably situations he could have easily avoided getting into. He also has other games where he looks like a world class centreback. I can't really figure him out.

Web of Bissaka

Shaw has very good top speed, but, to a lesser degree than Maguire, he also lacks acceleration and agility and can get skinned.
Curious which player get the better of Shaw on more occasions?

Isn't it the opposite, the other way around.
= Shaw have lower level top speed but far better acceleration and agility. It's also why he's very good in 1 on 1 situation, he's good at "containing/halting/slowing-down" attacker's progress/movements. At times, he's also too slow to get back to defend, obvious when we're being countered quickly (which is why he tend to be more deeper position nowadays), but his reading of the game and situation is very good defensively so he doesn't get caught out of position that often.

Contrast with Maguire who can quickly retreat back to our box, but may gets bullied out easily vs agile players having spaces.

Rossa

Curious which player get the better of Shaw on more occasions?

Isn't it the opposite, the other way around.
= Shaw have lower level top speed but far better acceleration and agility. It's also why he's very good in 1 on 1 situation, he's good at "containing/halting/slowing-down" attacker's progress/movements. At times, he's also too slow to get back to defend, obvious when we're being countered quickly (which is why he tend to be more deeper position nowadays), but his reading of the game and situation is very good defensively so he doesn't get caught out of position that often.

Contrast with Maguire who can quickly retreat back to our box, but may gets bullied out easily vs agile players having spaces.
No. Shaw is definitely a top speed < acceleration player. Rashford and Mourinho has said as much also that when Shaw gits top gear, few are faster. He had no difficulties with Salah on a longer run. He’s heavy for a fullback and quite stocky, so no surprise he lacks a little agility.

Gilad

Big mistake offering Harry a 5 year extension on his contract. He can run the 100 m is x seconds and no matter what he does, he is not going to get faster. In fact as he gets older he is only going to slow down. And the opposition know this and will continue to punish United, especially in those crucial knockout games. He is also slow to get into the air and challenge and the defense will continue to leak goals. And as far as being captain, he has proven to us that he cannot influence the team for the better during those difficult moments, both on and off the field. He's a nice guy but United need far more from him, way more than he can ever hope to deliver. For United to compete he must be viewed as an expensive #3 choice. When do Luka, Petar and Stefan come of age? Sign them up already! I'm talking about Nemanja Vidic's sons of course. How does one possible start to compare Maguire with Vidic but this is the type of player that is essential for success. Unfortunately it won't happen with Harry.

Last edited:
Slow acceleration, good top speed. While it's good to have the latter, the former is more important in football.
pretty much this.. add to it he’s not very agile, has pretty bad coordination and balance and rarely reads the game so poor anticipation.

Maguire is like a car that would impress in a straight line race, but on a proper race track it would spin out of control and crash around the first turning.

Greck

Honestly think it's his poor acceleration and agility that force him into a lot of now or never tackle situations.

Last edited:

arthurka

He has been stiff and slow for must of his playing days, getting old won't hurt him as much as the pace merchants. That said he moves about like Austin Powers trying to turn the car around.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Pure daycent stuff, sure he punched a bouncer after taking too much in greece

AFC NimbleThumb

In the heat of a debate the term ‘speed’ is likely used when collectively referring to think like ‘agility’, ‘reactions’ & ‘mobility’.

If his job were to run in a straight line all day then his ‘speed’ probably isn’t too bad but the trouble is how long it takes for him to reach top speed & how long it takes for him to gather momentum.

The football elites often throw around tgat Football isn’t FIFA, there’s no greater example of this then looking at Maguires top speed in straight lines when he turns like a ship at anchor.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's quick in a straight line but slow to turn and accelerate that's the issue.

I think his injuries haven't helped recently, he looked a lot faster when he first joined us. Since the latest injuries he's been playing a little limp IMO. You can see he'd rather take a quick foul than actually run - that's a sign he's playing with pain to me.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's fairly clear here that the issue is Fern Hawkins, his wife.

She is out drinking on Instagram every night. Her crawling into bed late, drunk and snoring must be causing him issues with his sleeping pattern.

I've tried writing to her on Instagram multiple times requesting she uses another bed but thus far it's fallen on deaf ears. Does anyone know how to get in touch with her ?

lonelyred

It's fairly clear here that the issue is Fern Hawkins, his wife.

She is out drinking on Instagram every night. Her crawling into bed late, drunk and snoring must be causing him issues with his sleeping pattern.

I've tried writing to her on Instagram multiple times requesting she uses another bed but thus far it's fallen on deaf ears. Does anyone know how to get in touch with her ?
:lol:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Footballer speed is always about reaction time and agility. Top speed hardly matters foe everyone. I also believe that any professional footballer won't fare badly in a 100m sprint but it's hardly ever needed.

It's what you do 0.5 second faster than your opponent is what counts. Most defender looks slows and outpaced not because they cant run fast enough but their reach 0.5s slowe

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Fern Hawkins out drinking on Instagram, again. This time in Paris, no less. What a bad influence she must be on poor Harry!

Lecland07

Guardiola must have seen a time lapse of him to think Maguire is fast.