Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RkkMan

So that Trezeguet(?)'s shot...
:annoyed: What is our great captain doing letting him have a free go shooting?

Otherwise, another fine game and one great pass to AWB.
Naah he made the right decision holding his line. If he tried to press him or aggressively tackle him he`d be risking having another Stanislas moment and I think there was another attacker he was trying to deal with.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'll give him a benefit of the doubt. It's a quick sudden movement, may caught him by surprise.

Surely he could see Shaw is near and is moving to the "runner outside of him" unless he didn't see Shaw. Lindelof is far covering for the "other runner outside of him" and AWB is too far. Therefore Maguire should be the one that try and block.
As you say it just happens quickly and you have to make a decision. He probably trusts DDG to cover it if a shot is on target (and maybe knowing they don't have a great GS record he let them take the risk)

sp_107

I am wondering if we could have done better with that 80M spent on him? he is decent but not sure if is a world class CB. We could have signed a better CB for that money I say.

Kostov

Did he have to? Shaw is near and handling the other.

^ Watch 3:12. That positioning is too ridiculous. Poor defending. Otherwise he defended well overall today.
You can literally blame Maguire for anything these days it seems.

How is Shaw handling that actually? By covering him from 1m behind the runner? The blame for that lies directly to the midfielder ( I think it was Pogba) for loosing the ball like that and at hat place, nothing to do with the defense.

RkkMan

I am wondering if we could have done better with that 80M spent on him? he is decent but not sure if is a world class CB. We could have signed a better CB for that money I say.
Like who?? Koulibaly whom Ancelotti at the time said he`ll only leave for his 130m release clause???

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
One of the best defensive records in the premier League, Maguire has been integral to that.
He's been efficient and reliable.
People seem to think that a transfer fee is related to how good a player should be, it's not.
Maguire is just what we needed, and is probably the first name on the team sheet, without him our defence would creak.

A-man

Good game and seems back on track after the little shaky performance against Bournemouth.

A-man

So that Trezeguet(?)'s shot...
:annoyed: What is our great captain doing letting him have a free go shooting?

Otherwise, another fine game and one great pass to AWB.
I also thought this was poor defending, but watching the replay I think it was the right thing to do.

Kostov

There was a moment against Villa when he tried to win the ball probably at the center at the pitch aggressively like he does very often but missed the tackle and was a bit exposed and turned, luckily Shaw covered i think. I would like him to be a bit more patient in situations like that, that style of defending does help us a lot in winning the ball back fast, but it could cost us, since he is not the fastest and neither is his partner. Good game nonetheless but something I hope he learns from.

AFC NimbleThumb

There was a moment against Villa when he tried to win the ball probably at the center at the pitch aggressively like he does very often but missed the tackle and was a bit exposed and turned, luckily Shaw covered i think. I would like him to be a bit more patient in situations like that, that style of defending does help us a lot in winning the ball back fast, but it could cost us, since he is not the fastest and neither is his partner. Good game nonetheless but something I hope he learns from.
I noticed this too.

I think because he’s so slow he doesn’t want players to settle & get their pace up so he’s usually quick into the tackle; I’ve seen it benefit us quite a few times this season but when it goes wrong he’s left treading water while an attacker sprints off from him.

He’s a good CB but his glaring weakness in pace & his eagerness in the tackle will always be risky.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’m going to say he was worth every penny.

For his football alone? Probably not worth £80m, he’s not world class but he’s a very good defender nonetheless and consistent along with it. He does have weaknesses, pace being his biggest one but he is clearly aware of them and covers for them as best he can. He knows his own game and is a reassuring and dependable presence in our defence. We are better with him than we were without him.

What he also has, like Bruno, is a very good character both on and off the pitch. Ole didn’t make him captain so quickly for no reason. I actually have a small belief that Ole bought him with the intention of making him captain. He’s a steadying and reassuring influence, I feel those traits are worth money too.

You could pay the earth for a great defender but aside from being a great defender what else would he add? I think Maguire has improved us not only in our defence, but holistically too.

Knowing what we know now about him, would I pay £80m for him? Yes I would.

Kostov

I noticed this too.

I think because he’s so slow he doesn’t want players to settle & get their pace up so he’s usually quick into the tackle; I’ve seen it benefit us quite a few times this season but when it goes wrong he’s left treading water while an attacker sprints off from him.

He’s a good CB but his glaring weakness in pace & his eagerness in the tackle will always be risky.
I actually don't think that he is so slow, just not very agile and his acceleration is probably slower, but yeah he should be more patient at times, or at least when there are teammates to cover if it goes wrong. I think the solution for now would be a fast CB partner for Maguire, I like Bailly but the guy can't seem to catch a brake from injuries or from unlucky referee moments.

ghagua

I dont agree at all that AWB is better in the air. He is even very poor in the air and no way near Lindelof in that aspect. Let’s look at the stats:

AWB has won 17 aerials this whole season, Lindelof 82.
AWB wins 37% of his aerial attempts and loses 63%
Lindelof wins 63% and loses 37%.
AWB wins 0.7 aerials per game which is the lowest of all defenders at United.

118 defenders have played 10 matches or more in PL this season. Out of 118 defenders there are only 3 who win less headers than him.

He is simply not better than Lindelof in the air.

Comparing the ariel stats of a central defender against a right-back when the central defender has more opportunities to head the ball? Don't look at stats anyway. Watching a player tells me all I need to know.

ghagua

Lindelof will be in the squad and deserves his place, let alone his current first choice selection. Nobody disagrees that United can do with a better partner for Lindelof and/or Maguire.

But you slating Lindelof, as you have, which you cannot deny, is terrible on your part as a supporter and many others. There have been certain standards set by the great United teams, which is fine because it's part of the club and what it means to play for United, but if/when you're not at that level personally, that doesn't mean you cannot achieve that as a team.

Wes Morgan and Robert Huth won a PL title as a CB pairing. And you're right, I can write a novel because it makes objective sense while you can write a sentence that discredits you or shows you have some odd bias against Lindelof on more levels than some of your better contributions such as; you continue to say Lindelof cannot head a ball away or that AWB is better at headers than Lindelof which someone discredited you on that, AWB will not be a CB for a long time if ever, Lindelof is a championship player at best, you look down on AWB's height saying he's only about 6 foot tall all while only focusing on his sweeping up ability due to his speed and AWB is not a better header of the ball than Lindelof all while you're banging your drum about CBs having the best abilities to head the ball away, "there's not a ounce of attacking talent in this guy" your comment on AWB....and my personal favorite comment of yours -

"Jones has become a sort of a joke recently, but he has been quite a good player over his career at United."

Harry Maguire is a very good CB and is one of the best in the league. He's not perfect by any means but he's so far shown he's more than good enough for United. He's the club captain. He's not an issue, let's move on.

It's your opinion and you have every right to express that. What my view is I will express that too. If someone is shite, I'll say so and not hide just because he plays for a club I support. Everyone has their own opinions, that does not mean he is attacking you personally. If someone voices their opinion, stop taking it as a personal attack against you.

A-man

Comparing the ariel stats of a central defender against a right-back when the central defender has more opportunities to head the ball? Don't look at stats anyway. Watching a player tells me all I need to know.
I think you overestimate your ability to read the game. I compared ABW with every defender in the league, including fullbacks, and only 3 out of 118 defender are worse than him if we measure won aerials. And watching him play confirms this.

Also, I gave you a relative comparison, where it is accounted for that they get different amount of opportunities to head the ball:
AWB wins 37% of his aerial attempts and loses 63%. Lindelof wins 63% and loses 37%.

Last edited:

The_Midfielder

I’m going to say he was worth every penny.

For his football alone? Probably not worth £80m, he’s not world class but he’s a very good defender nonetheless and consistent along with it. He does have weaknesses, pace being his biggest one but he is clearly aware of them and covers for them as best he can. He knows his own game and is a reassuring and dependable presence in our defence. We are better with him than we were without him.

What he also has, like Bruno, is a very good character both on and off the pitch. Ole didn’t make him captain so quickly for no reason. I actually have a small belief that Ole bought him with the intention of making him captain. He’s a steadying and reassuring influence, I feel those traits are worth money too.

You could pay the earth for a great defender but aside from being a great defender what else would he add? I think Maguire has improved us not only in our defence, but holistically too.

Knowing what we know now about him, would I pay £80m for him? Yes I would.
Add the header too.. He is probably one off the best headers in the EPL, and corners, free kicks, we have been able to clear easily...

The_Midfielder

Lindelof is better in air

SAFMUTD

Of course we could, plenty of better defenders available for 80M.

Now after saying that Id say he's been a good signing for us, anyone expecting having VVD impact was setting up for failure but Maguire's leadership has help us a lot. No one of the remaining defenders have that quality which is key.

A-man

People still talk about how expensive Maguire was, but seem to forget what other players have cost.
Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred, Matic, and Mkhitaryan cost 370 million together, that’s 62 million each on average.

Revan

Assumptionman
People still talk about how expensive Maguire was, but seem to forget what other players have cost.
Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred, Matic, and Mkhitaryan cost 370 million together, that’s 62 million each on average.
Would love to know how you came to this number. But:

Pogba - 90m
Lukaku - 75m
Sanchez - 0
Fred - 52m
Matic - 40m
Mkhitaryan - 30m

According to my first class mathematic skills, this is 287m which is significantly lower than what you made up. Add to that, we sold Lukaku for 60m, so in fact, it is actually 237m, with a lot of waste (40m + wages) in Mhkitaryan/Sanchez.

No idea what it has to do with Maguire though. I believe we got Pogba for the right fee back then, we overpaid on Fred, paid right on Mkhitaryan (though he did not play well for us, and his replacement was worse), paid the right amount for Matic, and seriously overpaid for Maguire.

E-mal

You can't include him in this discussion, not by a million mile despite everything you're been fed by the agenda media and naive fans.

E-mal

This might be controversial but I can't shake off the feeling that at some point we might have to upgrade on Maguire if we must play a high line and be formidable. His lack of pace is just a big issue really.

zenith

I really think folks need to forget about the price of a player once he is a part of the team and just focus on what he brings to the group.

I distinctly recall once idiot, who after we signed Carrick mentioned that for a midfielder who cost that much, maybe he could do a nutmeg or two once in a while, as if he was a clown.

What's paid is paid. It's all about his actual contribution to the team now.

A-man

Would love to know how you came to this number. But:

Pogba - 90m
Lukaku - 75m
Sanchez - 0
Fred - 52m
Matic - 40m
Mkhitaryan - 30m

According to my first class mathematic skills, this is 287m which is significantly lower than what you made up. Add to that, we sold Lukaku for 60m, so in fact, it is actually 237m, with a lot of waste (40m + wages) in Mhkitaryan/Sanchez.

No idea what it has to do with Maguire though. I believe we got Pogba for the right fee back then, we overpaid on Fred, paid right on Mkhitaryan (though he did not play well for us, and his replacement was worse), paid the right amount for Matic, and seriously overpaid for Maguire.
It was in euro plus a swap deal is not for free. All figures from transfermarkt.

Pogba 105
Matić 45
Lukaku 85
Mkhiki 42
Sanchez 34
Fred 59

Sum: 370 million euro

The point was that so many complain when we paid 80 mill pounds for Maguire but these 370 put that in to perspective, even including the exchange rate euro to pounds.

A-man

You can't include him in this discussion, not by a million mile despite everything you're been fed by the agenda media and naive fans.
Why not? I put some of the expensive contracts from the last years to compare with what Maguire cost. He was expensive, but United has paid a lot of money for other players as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
It was in euro plus a swap deal is not for free. All figures from transfermarkt.

Pogba 105
Matić 45
Lukaku 85
Mkhiki 42
Sanchez 34
Fred 59

The point was that so many complain when we paid 80 mill pounds for Maguire but these 370 put that in to perspective, even including the exchange rate euro to pounds.
Yes, it is not free, but then you're counting both Mkhitaryan and Sanchez, despite that one paid for the other, and they never played together. It makes absolutely no sense to say that we paid 84m for Mhiky and Sanchez, when we paid 42m for Mhiky and then we swapped him for Sanchez.

This does not put anything in perspective except that we spent a lot of money for some players, some turned good, some didn't, some we swapped or sold getting near as much in return as we paid for them.

A-man

Yes, it is not free, but then you're counting both Mkhitaryan and Sanchez, despite that one paid for the other, and they never played together. It makes absolutely no sense to say that we paid 84m for Mhiky and Sanchez, when we paid 42m for Mhiky and then we swapped him for Sanchez.

This does not put anything in perspective except that we spent a lot of money for some players, some turned good, some didn't, some we swapped or sold getting near as much in return as we paid for them.
I can of course not say if it put something in to perspective for you or not, but the 80 mill for Maguire seem to stick to people’s mind quite strongly. Which is strange when you look at what United have paid for other players the last few years.

Revan

Assumptionman
I can of course not say if it put something in to perspective for you or not, but the 80 mill for Maguire seem to stick to people’s mind quite strongly. Which is strange when you look at what United have paid for other players the last few years.
He's still our second most expensive player of all time, and the most expensive defender ever, so obviously his price-tag is gonna stick to people's mind.

It has nothing to do with us spending 42m on Mkhitaryan and then swapping him with Sanchez.

Ekeke

Pogba 105
Matić 45
Lukaku 85
Mkhiki 42
Sanchez 34
Fred 59

How does overpaying for other players (although we got our money back on Lukaku) mean that we haven't also overpaid for Maguire? Those arent the only transfers we've made, there have been some good value ones too

Bruno Fernandes 55
AWB 55
Ander 36
Blind 18

We've had some good ones as well as the majority being bad ones, and you need to look at what other clubs have got with that money, and when we've actually signed players who were worth their fees and compare that to the Maguire transfer - not other times we've paid too much for players.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We obviously overpaid for Maguire. He was more expensive than VVD and he isn't as good. That's all the context you need to settle that debate. However, you do know exactly what you get from him and that isn't always the case in the transfer-market. So overpaying wasn't necessarily a bad move in the context of us needing a player in the right age, some experience, preferably a leader-type, English figurehead that can grow into a classic CB captain for United. Maguire was a very safe bet at point in time we simply couldn't afford another Bailly, Lindelof, Davinson etc. the ones who'll probably need time and might not even reach the required level, and might not fit the overall criteria. Everyone knew Maguire wasn't going to flop being familiar with the league already, being a decent defender with the combination of being good on the ball and strong in the air.

I'm happy with how we are looking at the moment, but I do think Maguire has it in him to step it up a level next season. I've seen him play incredibly good games before, and while he has generally had a good first season he has been far from amazing. I expect him to do a lot better next year even if we don't strengthen but I feel certain of that once we can afford to rest him once in a while and partner him up with someone that can cover his weaknesses we're covered for years. He is very consistent, I'll give him that. Pretty much always a 7/10, never below 5 and once in a while 8 or 9.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His might be overpaid if you compare him to VvD's. But if you compare him to the gazzilion pounds of money the other top clubs have spent on their dross CBs, Maguire's is more than acceptable.

Heck, we spent ~60m on Lindelof and Bailly that comparable to Maguire's on today's transfer inflation. And what do we get? A crock, and a squad player that everyone agreed isn't suppose to be main CB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Leadership, experience & ball playing ability are what we needed last summer or since Rio & Vidic left us. Rojo, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones & Bailly never step up as leader. It's very important which reflects to the improvement in our defense & how shambolic Chelsea's defense are. We spent 80m in total on 3 CB Rojo, Lindelof & Bailly and no sign of improvement, we spent 80m on 1 CB and the difference is massive.

Don't give me nonsense like we should sign Upamecano, Soyuncu, Konate, they aren't the leader we needed last summer. De Ligt chose Juventus over us, Dunk cost 40m-50m and less proven in top level despite of an older one & Koulibaly was 130m at that time which is combined fees of Bissaka & Maguire.

Considering his age & what he offers, worth the money. Van Dijk was bargain so stop comparing the fees. I bet United fans who are still moaning about the money are the same ones who insulted Liverpool for spending 75m on Van Dijk in 2018. You spend big on player you need and give you good amount of time contribution, you spend small on player that you want to take a punt but doesn't always work like Lovren, Sakho, Bailly & Rojo.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Yes, we did overpay Maguire but at his age, I think it was still worth. Everyone football player has weakness so what is he has lack of pace. We just need to find another CB to partner him. Maguire could play until 35-36 since pace is something he wouldn't lost as he age. 80 million is worth it if he plays for the next 8-10 years.

A-man

He's still our second most expensive player of all time, and the most expensive defender ever, so obviously his price-tag is gonna stick to people's mind.

It has nothing to do with us spending 42m on Mkhitaryan and then swapping him with Sanchez.
How does overpaying for other players (although we got our money back on Lukaku) mean that we haven't also overpaid for Maguire? Those arent the only transfers we've made, there have been some good value ones too

Bruno Fernandes 55
AWB 55
Ander 36
Blind 18

We've had some good ones as well as the majority being bad ones, and you need to look at what other clubs have got with that money, and when we've actually signed players who were worth their fees and compare that to the Maguire transfer - not other times we've paid too much for players.
The point was that United have paid a huge amount of money for players but I don’t see how people refer back to the price tag all the time. In Maguire’s thread you can read about his price all the time.
Like @MikeKing wrote he was a developed player. All he has needed was some short time to adapt to the other players. When you buy a younger and cheaper CB you take a bigger risk like with Bailly and Lindelof.

Ekeke

The point was that United have paid a huge amount of money for players but I don’t see how people refer back to the price tag all the time. In Maguire’s thread you can read about his price all the time.
Like @MikeKing wrote he was a developed player. All he has needed was some short time to adapt to the other players. When you buy a younger and cheaper CB you take a bigger risk like with Bailly and Lindelof.
I see.

Well I personally do, Maguire isnt an outlier he's just another in a long line of over priced players. That doesnt mean they havent been good players for us, but if we used the money as well as some other clubs have during the same timeframe we'd be a lot further along than we are. And thats why I continue to hold that same level of expectation and am dissappointed when, as far as I'm concerned, we've paid an extra £15-25 million on each big signing. People always say "But its not your money!" and "We have loads of money!" but there's always a limit. Even City don't pay fees they are quoted and dont think are good value.

Web of Bissaka

You can literally blame Maguire for anything these days it seems.

How is Shaw handling that actually? By covering him from 1m behind the runner? The blame for that lies directly to the midfielder ( I think it was Pogba) for loosing the ball like that and at hat place, nothing to do with the defense.
If he's at fault then he is at fault. Why turn a blind eye?
The protection people are giving him is ridiculous too much. Favoritism? Double standard? Other players had it worse and even being used to cover for his mistakes (past games, not this case).

Sounds like you don't rate Shaw's quickness and defense ability? He's not that far and good at making the last ditch tackles. Maybe Maguire still haven't yet understand him. Better teams will batter us, thankfully it's Villa.

I do agree the first blame should be towards Pogba. Playing CM and CDM needs huge discipline and basically had to doing more of those simple boring quick passes (including the boring back passes which football fans of flairs hated). He took a huge risks there which failed miserably, though not for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.