Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinzaine

Maguire handled Giroud with ease he’s the perfect forward for Maguire, it was Lindelof who had no answer for Giroud’s strength. Ultimately if you have pace you put yourself against Maguire as once you square him up you can go pass him with ease. If you have strength just put yourself on Lindelof as you can brush him off with ease as he’s so weak, he has to do some serious strength work in the gym.
Surely this is bait? Giroud had Maguire on strings all game to the point where it was getting slightly embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch. We've lacked a proper world class center back for years now but I didn't know it's been bad enough that fans reckon Maguire actually did a good job on Giroud, who was MOTM btw :rolleyes:

ti vu

Yes.

We’ve struggled with the high press. Imagine Smalling next to AWB - we’d just lose the ball constantly.
We may lose the ball more, and have less possession, but doesn't mean we would concede all these chances, and 2 goals that our CB failed badly on defensive duty. Got bullied by predictable big man forward play by Giroud... Do we need to be tactical genius to see the issue. Either you can pass so good that isolating thus nullifying Giroud completely, or fight fire with fire. We're neither good at those.

Water Melon

Solid dedender, but never a top top one. Good defensive heading (pretty shite while attacking though), average positioning and not very fast. Is much more comfortable when facing an attacker's back, not agressive on one-on-ones. Probably the best of our lot but would hardly play as leading defender for a top team.

Web of Bissaka

Can’t think of a time before Maguire’s injury that Giroud got any change from him, I remember him bouncing off Maguire, then Giroud put himself on Lindelof and bullied him. If that was a pre injured Maguire rather than Lindelof for his goal then Maguire gets their first and DDG wouldn’t get the chance to let it in
Ok fair enough.

I admire Maguire continue playing on in this game. Clearly we need him after Bailly is ruled out and he knows it.

I don't think it's too serious though considering in the 2nd half, he removed the bandage. Still, definitely it has effects on him even if slightly.

AFC NimbleThumb

That's probably a fair comment. He hasn't been poor by any means but he's not been brilliant, certainly not 80 million. There have been plenty of partnerships over the years where a great defence has had one outstanding centre back and a very good one alongside him (Liverpool now, United in 99). I rate both him and Lindelof as generally good defenders but there's an improvement to be made.
Since Project Restart he has been poor by many means.

Forget the fee, his performances for our club captain/leader during the most vital part of our season have been hurrendous.

This forum is rife with overreaction but every week of late there is a debate about what he could/should have done better; for our best defender he should be peerless at moments & he just hasn’t been during a crucial period.

In himself he isn’t a bad defender but he’s cumbersome & going forward not the profile of CB that the best teams will have; he dwells on the ball & moves like a ship at anchor.

Yesterday against Giroud should have been his bread & butter but he made the man look like prime Shearer.

Kostov

He saw the shite happening around him, and like proper "captain" instead of trying to lift things up, put the cherry on top. Absolute shit on that own goal, I am disappointed in him.

Squeaky Bumtime

He has been in a bad form but he's capable of much more and he had his share of good games. I think it's the fatigue and playing practically every game. It has contributed to his slow reactions and brain farts. That price tag will hang over his head for eternity and if we judge him by that he wasn't worth the money. But he's still a very good CB who shouldn't be replaced.

Even if Ole wanted to rest him who to put in, Jones (where is he?), Tuanzebe is injured, Bailly has his yellow minutes and is extremely bad luck.. Just TFM springs to mind.

RC89

Did you start following Utd like 6 months ago or something?
Nope. Given we paid a world record fee for him and his shocking performances so far, he's certainly in for a shout. Falcao, barely cost us anything. Di Maria is another bad one but we recouped a lot back, doubt we could do the same with Maguire. Still has time to improve but so far it's a sh*tshow.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly, I am still struggling to understand why he thought it was a great idea to go crashing into Bailly. From his position he should be able to see Bailly is challenging for the ball and just hang back to cover him in case Bailly loses the 50/50. His decision making is sometimes completely beyond my understanding.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Honestly, I am still struggling to understand why he thought it was a great idea to go crashing into Bailly. From his position he should be able to see Bailly is challenging for the ball and just hang back to cover him in case Bailly loses the 50/50. His decision making is sometimes completely beyond my understanding.
Normally a defender will communicate with his team mate if he is going for the ball, but didn't see that yesterday, yes it was a poor decision by Maguire who seems mentally tired, if not physically. So slow in our build up, need to be a lot quicker.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This. I was waiting to see if someone else think the same. Although admittedly, Baily sure have a weird way on heading the ball away also.

RashyForPM

Can’t think of a time before Maguire’s injury that Giroud got any change from him, I remember him bouncing off Maguire, then Giroud put himself on Lindelof and bullied him. If that was a pre injured Maguire rather than Lindelof for his goal then Maguire gets their first and DDG wouldn’t get the chance to let it in
How about the time when Giroud, the slowest striker in the league, spun him and he had to grab him down?

Fussmeister

Him and Lindelöf are still class defenders. Not sure about the team mentality though.
De Gea really let everyone down and few helped him out after the first goal to minmize shoots towards him.
I think both Maguire and VNL wants a keeper that controls the pen area. Instead of shifting CBs lets look at the GK situation

Craig Ward

He was pretty poor, but the whole team was.

Difficult to bash one player when collectively we were a shambles.

He had a tough time against Giroud, his passing was shocking and he didnt take control of the defence. He is also appalling at attacking corners. Should have scored again.

We are pretty much getting the player he was at Leicester so not sure what people expect of him?

He is slow on the ball, which really grates me. Always keeps it too long and just plays simple. Lindelof is exactly the same, they both need to give the ball much, much quicker.

romufc

A very poor game all round that was coming. I don't think anyone in the team yesterday even had a 5/10 performance. That's how bad it was.

Maguire was awful, maybe the head injury effected him but that is no excuse.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
One of our strangest transfers ever. Not worse but so strange. Record breaking fee for 20-30 mil worth defender. And then he in 3 months becomes captain. Despite not being caotain anywhere. Captain of Man Utd while at the same time we had Pogba, Mata, Shaw, Matic, De gea...all experienced player who were in club for years.
Weird.

Mcking

The fact he's captain and cost £80m makes him an easy target. Everything was just collapsing around him.

A-man

Maguire is there to be dominant in the air, while Bailly is weak in the air. Bailly should be covering for Maguire instead of backing in.
I don’t want stretch this example too far, but I think in general that would be the biggest problem with Maguire playing with Bailly. They both want to be where the ball is and not always where they should be.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maguire is there to be dominant in the air, while Bailly is weak in the air. Bailly should be covering for Maguire instead of backing in.
I don’t want stretch this example too far, but I think in general that would be the biggest problem with Maguire playing with Bailly. They both want to be where the ball is and not always where they should be.
You make a judgement call based upon the play at the time surely? If Bailly is in front of you and challenging the player why jump in as well?

That's like saying Bruno would be justified nipping the ball off of Shaw's toe outside the box even if Shaw was shaping to shoot.

There was absolutely no need for Maguire to challenge for the ball. He should've just waited for the outcome of the Bailly challenge and then swept up the second ball. As it is he took out Bailly, who was playing better than him at the time, and injured himself.

If Phil Jones had done that nobody would be making excuses for him, and the CAF would be saying its typical of his thoughtless play.

Sylar

I know I shouldnt laugh, but that moment where he held onto the ball, was trying to fight off the chelsea player, then tried to spread the play and completely gave it away just summed him and our whole team up :lol:

And again, I do think he should at least hit the target from that header from our corner. I dont get how he manages to miss so much as he has. I really thought he would be better than this (for england he looked better too).

A-man

You make a judgement call based upon the play at the time surely? If Bailly is in front of you and challenging the player why jump in as well?

That's like saying Bruno would be justified nipping the ball off of Shaw's toe outside the box even if Shaw was shaping to shoot.

There was absolutely no need for Maguire to challenge for the ball. He should've just waited for the outcome of the Bailly challenge and then swept up the second ball. As it is he took out Bailly, who was playing better than him at the time, and injured himself.

If Phil Jones had done that nobody would be making excuses for him, and the CAF would be saying its typical of his thoughtless play.
Maguire is far out, absolutely, even for a 3 at the back. My point is that we have seen him play like that the whole season.

MattofManchester

Watching Zaha turn past him and run towards goal a fair bit before Maguire had even turned around was a fair bit funny against Palace.
Then this little stunt against Chelsea.

At this point, I'll just delude myself that he's injecting a bit of comedy into each game.

Its not good however, when your weaknesses are exposed against pace, but then your strengths are also exposed against the complete opposite, in Giroud.

He reminds me a bit of a schoolboy playing football sometimes. Always ball watching and not paying attention to his surroundings. No awareness because his eyes are glued to the ball.

LoneStar

The number of chances he gets on the corners which he keeps fecking up is infuriating. Wins the header most of the time, but always misses the target.

Squeaky Bumtime

The number of chances he gets on the corners which he keeps fecking up is infuriating. Wins the header most of the time, but always misses the target.
Yeah, I don't get it, Bruno gave him 2 or 3 corners 'on the eyelashes' against Palace and he squandered every one of them.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Does anybody think he's quite overrated on the ball? We've supposedly signed a ball-playing CB but ultimately he's as good as Lindelof in that department. Infact, I feel much more comfortable with Lindelof playing a pass out from the back than I do when Maguire eventually decides to release it. He dwindles in possession and although his long balls are ambitious, his execution rate isn't great. In terms of actual defending it's one thing but I truly believe to thrive as a top CB in the modern day there's a certain threshold in terms of ability on the ball (Van Dijk, Laporte, Ramos, Varane, Pique, De Ligt, Koulibaly, Marquinhos) which Maguire doesn't quite hit. It's the reason I'm not for Smalling returning (although I'd make the case that he's a better pure defender) as his ability on the ball is so poor that it would really hold us back as a team.

It's strange because from my memory of watching him at Hull (where I was most impressed with him) and Leicester he was quite a progressive ball carrier and was capable of going on mazy runs through midfield. I also recall a game last season against City at the Etihad where his passing was top notch but it hasn't been the case for me this season. I suspect as is the case with his defensive game, he's trying to do too much and trying to be the catalyst the same way Pogba felt he had to be for the midfield when he first joined - this is evident in Bailly's injury where there was really no need for Maguire to challenge for it at all. It would explain why he holds on the ball for so long or often goes for passes which aren't really on. It's either that or he's been found out a little and his ability doesn't really shine through in a team like Utd.
I think this pretty much sums it up tbh. Especially when he first came in he felt its his job to instruct everyone and everything. He feels its his duty. Maybe that's the problem. He needs to share the burden.

Classical Mechanic

@Quinzaine

We face a lot of low block sides at United so he doesn't get the open space in midfield to run into very often.

I think Maguire's season has been mixed overall. His debut against Chelsea was superb and he was excellent during our unbeaten run before lockdown. I don't think we've seen the best of him and last night was a low point, a performance worthy of vintage chuckle brothers. In his defence he has a lot of minutes on the clock and the whole side was fatigued and performed at a similarly low level. The blow to the head may have affected him too.

I'd add that if DDG was performing close to his best then we'd be challenging for the title and not talking about the centre backs at all.

SmallCaine

In the last week maguire has

1. Marked his own teammate on a corner
2. Injured his own teammate
3. Tried to dribble past his own teammate
4. Scored against his own keeper

is he trying to complete some sort of a bingo here and if so what do you think's left?

Last edited:

Pace Abuser

I don't know what people expect. He was always average. Got hyped up during the easiest run ever at an international tournament. Was exactly the same player at Leicester as he was at Hull when he was sold for 18 million. It's a bizarre transfer. He is crap on the ball. Abysmal. Just dawdles on it looking like a school dinner lady.

#CR7

Wouldn't read too much into his performances over the last few weeks.

He's exhausted and has been playing through injury.

Obviously we still need a centre back to play alongside him but I just hope he gets the rest he needs to recover in time for the new season.

tomaldinho1

@Quinzaine

We face a lot of low block sides at United so he doesn't get the open space in midfield to run into very often.

I think Maguire's season has been mixed overall. His debut against Chelsea was superb and he was excellent during our unbeaten run before lockdown. I don't think we've seen the best of him and last night was a low point, a performance worthy of vintage chuckle brothers. In his defence he has a lot of minutes on the clock and the whole side was fatigued and performed at a similarly low level. The blow to the head may have affected him too.

I'd add that if DDG was performing close to his best then we'd be challenging for the title and not talking about the centre backs at all.
This kind of blanket statement is just wild. DDG has not cost us 31 points, we are far from challenging for the title until we sort out the basic issues we have in our squad, one of which is the CB pairing.

TsuWave

In the last week maguire has

1. Marked his own teammate on a corner
2. Injured his own teammate
3. Tried to dribble past his own teammate
4. Scored against his own keeper

is he trying to complete some sort of a bingo here and if so what do you thinks left?
:lol:

Classical Mechanic

This kind of blanket statement is just wild. DDG has not cost us 31 points, we are far from challenging for the title until we sort out the basic issues we have in our squad, one of which is the CB pairing.
:lol:

It is a little wild admittedly but there's a big element of truth there. DDG is the single biggest issue that we have.

His massive decline in form is detailed in this thread

If you look at our xGA it's roughly the same as Liverpool's (slightly better on understat's model)

https://understat.com/league/EPL

This means that we've been about as open to opposition attacks in term of the quality of chances conceded over the course of the season, so what's the reason for Liverpool's goals conceded column being better than ours?

People have spoken of 'luck' when watching Liverpool this season i.e. the oppostion not taking their chances, which has played some part, but Allison has been one of the very best at outperforming his xGA as a keeper whilst DDG has been below average for the league.

https://www.givemesport.com/1535735-premier-league-goalkeepers-ranked-by-expected-goal-statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.