Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maguire recovered well after a very shaky start. Was great in the air tonight.

3KDré

Good performance. He's not world class but he definitely brings some calmness to the backline and its more important for a defence to function as a unit- which he helps us do better.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Still looks clunky in his style but anyone who claims he has not brought a much needed consistency to the backline is kidding themselves.

Welbeckham

Still looks clunky in his style but anyone who claims he has not brought a much needed consistency to the backline is kidding themselves.
Exactly. Gets totally unwarranted hate for being slow and having a a big head and big price tag, when he’s still the best CB we’ve had in many years. He’s obviously not perfect, but thinking he’s one to be replaced seems absolutely mental to me.

drdoityourself

You see Koulibaly struggle in too many big games and you see games like Varane had yesterday. The top shelve of defenders is very limited in numbers these days and all of them prone to mistakes. Add to that the fitness issues almost any centreback who has turned out for us over the last 7-8 years.

We've finally found a good defender who can take care of the ball and can stay fit. I'm surprised at how many detractors Maguire has. He's far from perfect, but has improved this defence immensely.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Very good passing (although maybe tried the over-the-top ball once or twice too often), won everything in the air and I don't remember him having any problems dealing with their attack. Great match today.
I thought it was probably his best display of passing since he joined, seemed to hit his mark with the long balls very often tonight.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have seen several people talk about how Maguire and Lindeloff are on the same level, and VVD is "the best defender in the world". There seems to be a lot of people around here with agendas against Maguire but when faced with the facts, their silence is deafening...

------------------Tckl----Blk---Int--Clr---HdClr----Rec---DW---DL---50/50---ABW---ABL
Maguire-------37------6-----72---157---94-------237--240--128---8---------176-----71
Virgil VD-----23------5------40--162----83------220----239--81----3---------191------60
Lindeloff----29------1------26---122---58------215----135--78----4----------96-------50

Legend: Tckl=Tackles, Blk=Blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdClr=Headed Clearances, Rec=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Arial Battles Won, ABL=Arial Battles Lost

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9566/Harry-Maguire/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5140/Virgil-van-Dijk/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5066/Victor-Lindelöf/stats?co=1&se=274

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Maguire has played the most minutes in world football this season of any professional player.

That alone has solved one of our gaping issues in defence!

arthurka

Maguire has played the most minutes in world football this season of any professional player.

They alone is worth something, our CB's couldn't string 2 games together before getting injured.

romufc

That was a very big performance from Maguire, he has been shaky last few games but when it mattered, he turned up.

He done everything right IMO, in a game like that he composed everyone around him as well. Won everything in the air and passed out well.

I still think there is more to come from him. When you look at teams around us looking for a reliable CB, there is not many out there.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
You see Koulibaly struggle in too many big games and you see games like Varane had yesterday. The top shelve of defenders is very limited in numbers these days and all of them prone to mistakes. Add to that the fitness issues almost any centreback who has turned out for us over the last 7-8 years.

We've finally found a good defender who can take care of the ball and can stay fit. I'm surprised at how many detractors Maguire has. He's far from perfect, but has improved this defence immensely.
I think CBs struggeling is down to how teams press these days. It makes it a lot more difficult to be a CB than ten years ago.

Furthermore, our «system» (or lack of) does not help our CBs the way Liverpool or Man City do. They get less protection from midfield and no apparant structure in build up play.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
They alone is worth something, our CB's couldn't string 2 games together before getting injured.
Agreed consistency is such a big aspect of a solid defensive system. Allows for partnerships to develop and improve.

I do get the impression he’s a bit like Rooney and needs to play regularly to keep that fitness and sharpness up.

Raw

That's brilliant. Consistency in defence had been a huge issue because everyone kept getting injured or were deemed not good enough.

He's only missed 6 games this season (3 in the EL, 1 in the FA Cup and 1 in the League Cup). He played in the remaining 54 games, with just 2 of those where he didn't play all 90/120 minutes.

Nickelodeon

We’re definitely trying to get the most out of our 80m quid. If not in quality, then in minutes. Still has played every minute since the restart.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We’re definitely trying to get the most out of our 80m quid. If not in quality, then in minutes. Still has played every minute since the restart.
He’s solved an injury issue in being available, leadership issue and aerial issues at the back. He also is progressive with the ball.

I’d say that’s worth it as I don’t see a CB in world football available that I’d swap him with confidently.

romufc

He’s solved an injury issue in being available, leadership issue and aerial issues at the back. He also is progressive with the ball.

I’d say that’s worth it as I don’t see a CB in world football available that I’d swap him with confidently.
I would agree with this. Apart from VVD, who can you actually say will sort our defence? No one.

Maguire has been a good signing for us.

Craig Ward

I'm going to go on a bit of a Maguire bashing. Seems like a may upset the trend here but i'll try and explain as i go.

The positives.
Maguire clearly brings composure and consistency. Overall, he's been a good signing. He's clearly a good talker and organiser - which goes unnoticed when analysing a single performance.

The negatives.
Distribution.
He is so poor lately. Way too many touches, very slow, laboured sideways passing. When he plays long - often aimless, not his strongest quality. Some come off, yes but overall he'd be better picking out a midfielder.
What i really dislike about his passing, especially against Copenhagen is that Fred would drop deep to receive the ball and Maguire would just punt it long. What is the point? Freds too deep and can't challenge for 2nd balls. It happened constantly so either Fred is wrong for coming deep when the tactical instruction was too go long OR Maguire just doesnt fancy passing it to a midfielder who is better on the ball and lumps it upfield. Either way - long balls weren't working so Maguire should have calmed down with them or Ole should have stepped in. Its clearly a plan for our DM to drop in along the CB's to recieve the ball, Matic does this regularly and Fred did too. I just fail to see the benefit to the team when one of our midfielders is alongside the CB and the ball is punted. Creates too much space between attack/defense. This is why we get caught out of position a lot.

Pace.
You cant make him faster so we'll just have to live with this flaw. If he gets one on one with anyone with an ounce of pace he's done for. I read that Ole is looking for players to be competent defending one v one to allow us to play further up the pitch. Maguire doesnt really have the best skillset for this.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Needs to jump higher without using his arms, and aim a bit better so he can score some of those headers.

Meep

The negatives.
Distribution.
He is so poor lately. Way too many touches, very slow, laboured sideways passing. When he plays long - often aimless, not his strongest quality. Some come off, yes but overall he'd be better picking out a midfielder.
What i really dislike about his passing, especially against Copenhagen is that Fred would drop deep to receive the ball and Maguire would just punt it long. What is the point? Freds too deep and can't challenge for 2nd balls. It happened constantly so either Fred is wrong for coming deep when the tactical instruction was too go long OR Maguire just doesnt fancy passing it to a midfielder who is better on the ball and lumps it upfield. Either way - long balls weren't working so Maguire should have calmed down with them or Ole should have stepped in. Its clearly a plan for our DM to drop in along the CB's to recieve the ball, Matic does this regularly and Fred did too. I just fail to see the benefit to the team when one of our midfielders is alongside the CB and the ball is punted. Creates too much space between attack/defense. This is why we get caught out of position a lot.
Exactly this. I think Maguire does a good job.. except from his slowing down the play, with often at least four touches when everyone else seems to try taking two. He is looking up like he will find some magic opening but still releases the ball with the obvious pass way to late. Don't know why he seems to get to do this without OGS telling him to stop with it. It's pointless. Just move the ball. If you don't see a longer opening directly just move along. Or make that midrange pass with a maximum of three touchess. It sets the tone for the team when he slows it down like this.

lsd

The Oracle
I just took a look and there are idiots here who voted for this slow sack of garbage as MOTM tonight .

What a joke? thats why we will win nothing with mentality like this

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I hear he's a leader but on the first goal he's asleep. Never looks over his shoulder, has no idea letting the ball across him is an invitation for Suso.

Apokalips

I don't see the ball playing he's supposed to be so great at. Also for such a super leader he seemed to melt a bit instead of driving us back into it.

jungledrums

I just took a look and there are idiots here who voted for this slow sack of garbage as MOTM tonight .

What a joke? thats why we will win nothing with mentality like this
Imagine posting this about a United player. Pathetic.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Very good today, don't know what some people were watching who moan about his performance today. The one who is not good isn't this guy but the ball watchers.

lsd

The Oracle
I hear he's a leader but on the first goal he's asleep. Never looks over his shoulder, has no idea letting the ball across him is an invitation for Suso.

Its the biggest myth in the world this leader garbage about him . Nothing about him says leader at all .

He has been a shocking signing 85 million for the slowest man in the world who you would think given his lack of any pace would not allow himself to be caught out of position as much as he does yet time and time again he is nowhere to be seen in the penalty box.

Where does he get too ? Cause he isn't doing anything of note creatively

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Very good today, don't know what some people were watching who moan about his performance today. The one who is not good isn't this guy but the ball watchers.
What was he doing on the first goal?

el3mel

Absolute disaster in the first goal. Second as well as we're into it.

And as usual, totally useless in our corners.

DarkChild™

The only good header of the ball defender that somehow never cuts out by-line crosses near post. Not even attempts to.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I really want to know why he took a step in the opposite direction instead of going to cut out the cross. He makes some really odd decisions. Also where is his organisation of the defence. Hes had the armband as he is supposed to be the leader. Then lead!

Status
Not open for further replies.