Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really want to know why he took a step in the opposite direction instead of going to cut out the cross. He makes some really odd decisions. Also where is his organisation of the defence. Hes had the armband as he is supposed to be the leader. Then lead!
It's because he, like our other defenders, are only good at defending when the game is in front of them. He didn't look over his shoulder and see Suso's run so moved to confront the attacker closest to him. If he's switched on he moves to the ball and takes care of it by hoofing it into the stands.

Second goal is just as bad: who is he marking? Again he heads in the direction of the Sevilla player he can see. His much discussed leadership AWOL. A real leader would be organising the defence, knowing where the danger is, telling people where to go. I just don't buy it with Maguire.

lsd

The Oracle

That is shocking . I mean seriously and the second was the same for him no doubt. I honestly don't think i have ever seen a centre back continually either out of position or standing marking thin air when opposing sides attack us

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes clearly trying to track the guy on the penalty spot. Williams should be the one doing better here covering the running
No he should cut out the cross since he should be aware there is a man far post

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Tracking him by getting in no way close to him ?
You don't need to be close to your player for just tracking him. The distance that he had was enough to stop the attacker if the crossing came to the attacker. Williams was marking no one and covering the area that Maguire already covered.

starman

No he should cut out the cross since he should be aware there is a man far post
This is a blatant hindsight view of how things transpired. The Sevilla player could have cut it back and i am sure you would have blamed him had the guy on the penalty spot scored

Cassidy

This is a blatant hindsight view of how things transpired. The Sevilla player could have cut it back and i am sure you would have blamed him had the guy on the penalty spot scored
No its basic defending. If the ball gets cut back then you go to close the ball. You do not allow the ball to be put across the face of your own box when there is an opposition player at the back post. Its not hindsight it was his lack of awareness

Cassidy

Ole mentioned we need a quick defender so we can press high. Then why did we sign this guy?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Our best defender tonight by a mile. He had a good game, the other three were awful.

Cassidy

Can you not see with your own eyes that Williams got attracted to the guy on the penalty spots movement while someone was running in behind him..
No one is saying Williams isnt to blame also.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I really want to know why he took a step in the opposite direction instead of going to cut out the cross. He makes some really odd decisions. Also where is his organisation of the defence. Hes had the armband as he is supposed to be the leader. Then lead!
Because he was tracking where his man was instead of ball watching, the screen shot pretty much tells you that. If you still can't see it, someone please just screen shot the head part only to give this guy even better view.

Classical Mechanic

No its basic defending. If the ball gets cut back then you go to close the ball. You do not allow the ball to be put across the face of your own box when there is an opposition player at the back post. Its not hindsight it was his lack of awareness
He’s watching the only man in the box. He probably didn’t know that Williams went awol and left his man completely free. If he’d gone to block the cross then the only guy in the box near him would have been completely free for a pass and big chance.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Hes clearly trying to track the guy on the penalty spot. Williams should be the one doing better here covering the running
Why would he be trying to track a striker thats so far away from him when its easier and more convenient for him to clear the ball?

starman

Your view is hindsight, because the Sevilla player had the option of cutting it back. There was not just one option with the way you are portraying, which is bizarre when you mention 'awareness'

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Given Fred's position the likelihood of the cutback is low. The fact Maguire can't see that is a sign of his lack of awareness. He's not a defender who is aware. We see this by the amount of times he jumps into his teammates on aerial balls. Did it to Bruno tonight even. He's fine with the game in front of him. Besides that...

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He’s watching the only man in the box. He probably didn’t know that Williams went awol and left his man completely free. If he’d gone to block the cross then the only guy in the box near him would have been completely free for a pass and big chance.
If he cleared the ball his man wouldn't have been anywhere near it since the ball would have been in the stands

Untd55

The issue I have with Maguire is that I think he can be replaced, but we will refuse to do it because of his price.

He is a good defender with major flaws: slowturning circle, slow acceleration at least, not actually great at heading in the opposition half, has some big mistakes in him.

I really don't feel confident in his defending when the opposition get behind our midfielder. I feel he could end up as weakness for the opposition to exploit.

Classical Mechanic

If he cleared the ball his man wouldn't have been anywhere near it since the ball would have been in the stands
If he moved into the position to block the cross then the best available option for the Sevilla wide player would have been to pass it right behind him to the man who was in loads of space.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. His man was nowhere near where the cross was directed to. Your logic doesn't apply to Maguire but to Williams, if Williams cleared the ball his man (Suso) wouldn't have been anywhere near the ball.

Cassidy

Hindsight always is
And at the time of play ;) 3 things were obvious AWB, Maguire and Williams fecked up. Funny enough all four defenders also at fault for the second goal

AshRK

I liked his comments after the game. Can't blame him much. Will be an easy target as he is our 80m defender but he cannot turn into a mutant and be everywhere. Williams fault for the first goal and lindelof for not clearing the ball much before this.

E-mal

He isnt a great defender and 80m pound is daylight robbery but my biggest worry is thst he is the captain.
There's nothing about him that screams leadership and he is eadioy rattled.

Status
Not open for further replies.