Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So many idiots out there trying to blame maguire for the first goal.

please make yourselves known so I can add you to the blocked list. I can’t believe there’s so many people who don’t know how to defend.
Easy to see where they are inspired from, Duncan Castles twitter.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Easy to see where they are inspired from, Duncan Castles twitter.
Yep I saw that. Loves to bleat about the worlds most expensive defender :houllier:

Amazing how negative spin has crept into football also.

hmchan

Like some other goals we've conceded, you can't say it's Maguire's fault, but it's reasonable to expect him to do better given his reputation and price tag, and we need him to do much better than just not making direct errors if we want to achieve higher. I've played as a defender myself and I've seen plenty of good defenders slide the ball away at the near post while having the cutback covered on similar occassions.

Here he marked the opponent's striker and successfully neutralized one threat, basic job well done. But then, as a quality defender, he had to at least make an attempt to cut off the second or third options from the attacker, yet he didn't even look at the ball and realize the ball had already been knocked past him. It seemed he lacked the awareness and athleticism to me.

For a top team doing the basic job isn't good enough, you expect your star players, especially the captain, to step up and do something extra to the team. Bruno is demonstrating that up front; Pogba, Rashford and Martial are capable occassionally; but neither our allegedly most expensive defender and highest paid goalkeeper are doing that at the back.

simplyared

What is it with our CB's? We had Smalling who got murdered on here. A decent player imo! We let him go to Roma where, according to what I've heard, he's doing well. Now its Maguire's turn! He's doing fine! 2nd best in the PL!

lex talionis

Maguire has been fantastic, but he looks like a player who's bearing too much responsibility for the inadequacies of his CB partner. He lacks a bit of pace, which is going to be his main liability for the rest of his career. He can improve, but the improvement in the squad needs to come in the form of an upgrade at CB over Lindelof, who would make a fine squad player for us.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I criticized him, but it doesn't mean i don't rate or want him gone. Far away from that.

I don't understand this mentality that one has to have positive view all the time about a player. Otherwise, it means he/she wants him gone. It's just so shallow.

We lost to two "ordinary" goals, with 3 shots and 2 goals the chances they had. It's because the defence fecked up a supposedly simple defending.

Dve

So many idiots out there trying to blame maguire for the first goal.

please make yourselves known so I can add you to the blocked list. I can’t believe there’s so many people who don’t know how to defend.
I totally agree, and you can´t blame him for the second goal neither. In fact, he was just where he had to be on both goals. And people say it´s his fault, because he´s the captain and he should be organising the defence. For god´s sake. One the second goal he´s giving Fred instructions to mark his man, while he´s paying attention to the play in front at him. Should be at the same time be directing what was going on behind his back?

Bissaka has to take most of the blame for both goals, in my opinion. Lindelof could perhaps have done a better job on the second goal, but Bissaka was the man marking De Jung in the first place and didn´t follow his run into the box. The same on their first goal where Bissaka was left totally parked while Reguilion ran free to receive the through ball before he delivered the cross - while Williams became ball-watching instead of taking out his man. I don´t see any problem with Maguire´s positioning in that situation.

But Bissaka is 22 and Williams is 19. If anything, we lost due to inexperience at the backs, but considering their age, they have both had a sensational season and will only get better. United played a good game and proved that we are more than capable of competing with a top European site. Sevilla is a team we very well could meet again at the knock-out stages in the CL next season, and I can´t wait to get back at them should the opportunity come.

Dve

Maguire has been fantastic, but he looks like a player who's bearing too much responsibility for the inadequacies of his CB partner. He lacks a bit of pace, which is going to be his main liability for the rest of his career. He can improve, but the improvement in the squad needs to come in the form of an upgrade at CB over Lindelof, who would make a fine squad player for us.
Yes. Maguire lack a bit of pace, but because of his physics, his role in this defence is at the same time invaluable. Play a long ball at United´s defence, and Maguire just stand there clearing the ball again and again. Often, he doesn´t even need to jump. It´s really crucial for any defence to have that sort of center back, who is also calm on the ball. And yes, we need a pacy player next to him, and I´m guttered that Tuanzebe has been out basically the whole season. I had great hopes for him.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

That's why still shots are garbage in these types of conversation. What Maguire is looking at is the Sevilla player completely unmarked a couple of yards behind him. If he gone to block the cross then the pass to him would on and the Sevilla player would have had a bigger xG chance to score if the pass went to him than the eventual goalscorer did. He gambled on leaving himself enough time to get out to him to close that chance rather than blocking the cross. If Williams had stayed on his man (he chased into a central position) the goal likely wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

Matriac

Bestietom

Go for Badiashile to partner him.

19/20 years old
Left footed
Fast
Strong
Good passing range

Would have a good sell on value.

OrcaFat

That analysis should be pinned in this thread really.
Explains what a lot of us have been saying, backed up by stats. Yes he can be slow at times, but makes up for it in so many areas, even fixing situations where he got beat on speed by being more clever than the attacker.
Yeah! He’s an excellent player. We just need another CB of similar ability, preferably with complimentary qualities (fast, left footed) to play with him. Then we will be the best defence in the league (we’re already close to being that anyway).

romufc

Go for Badiashile to partner him.

19/20 years old
Left footed
Fast
Strong
Good passing range

Would have a good sell on value.
We could get him for £20-25m as well. However; Ed and the team will not see it that way and try to sign players that are similar quality for £50m plus. This transfer may work out to be too sensible for the United board.

Mike Smalling

What is it with our CB's? We had Smalling who got murdered on here. A decent player imo! We let him go to Roma where, according to what I've heard, he's doing well. Now its Maguire's turn! He's doing fine! 2nd best in the PL!
For Maguire, I think it is a combination of his price tag and every little situation being scrutinized heavily nowadays.

Maguire has had a really good first season in my opinion. Obviously not perfect, but still quite good. We have conceded 36 goals in the league, which is 18 fewer than last season and only 3 more than Liverpool - Maguire can take a big share of the credit for this. I also think he is pretty good on the ball, and has done well driving it up the field from time to time. On top of that, he is also a leader and has played 55 games including all league games, which is pretty impressive.
His contribution on offensive set pieces has been a little disappointing given the amount of chances he has gotten, but that is of course secondary to his defending.

If we can bring in another CB partner and/or a quality CDM that can play every week, he could look even better next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I wonder where is his partner and why does he have to cover for the two runner coming in the center? Shocking bit of play that from Maguire too.
Pulled out to the right wing, should have cleaned out wide player.

The need to bring up his partner in attempt to defend him though...

Marcus

He had been a great signing. No way we would have finished third without him.

Bestietom

We could get him for £20-25m as well. However; Ed and the team will not see it that way and try to sign players that are similar quality for £50m plus. This transfer may work out to be too sensible for the United board.
In a few years he could be worth 4/5 times that amount. We don't have to buy all Marquee players, paying a small fortune.

romufc

In a few years he could be worth 4/5 times that amount. We don't have to buy all Marquee players, for a small fortune.
I am not arguing with that. If the club say they don't have much money to spend and buy players like him, Aourar, DVB then I am sure the fans wont complain as much.

The fact that our top 2 targets are Sancho and Grealish when we cannot afford them is pathetic.

Kostov

Pulled out to the right wing, should have cleaned out wide player.

The need to bring up his partner in attempt to defend him though...
Well it's directly influencing his defending here, he clearly pulls back to cover the first runner behind, and there is also another player running into the box while nobody is covering them. Both Fred and Pogba also fail to stop the crosser, while Lindelof is absolutely shambolic from the start.

That picture shows feck all, only someone who has no interest of analyzing the actual situation can use it as a bashing stick for Maguire. You can see Lindelof jogging towards his position while, Williams absolutely sleeping and having no sense who to pick up. And you find a way to blame that on Maguire?

Bestietom

I am not arguing with that. If the club say they don't have much money to spend and buy players like him, Aourar, DVB then I am sure the fans wont complain as much.

The fact that our top 2 targets are Sancho and Grealish when we cannot afford them is pathetic.
Your 100% right. We need numbers as well as class. No gamechangers on our bench for 3 cup semi finals shows the problem.

Cassidy

Well it's directly influencing his defending here, he clearly pulls back to cover the first runner behind, and there is also another player running into the box while nobody is covering them. Both Fred and Pogba also fail to stop the crosser, while Lindelof is absolutely shambolic from the start.

That picture shows feck all, only someone who has no interest of analyzing the actual situation can use it as a bashing stick for Maguire. You can see Lindelof jogging towards his position while, Williams absolutely sleeping and having no sense who to pick up. And you find a way to blame that on Maguire?
Yes I critised Maguire for his part. At no point did I say he was to blame for the goal. But again lets point at other defenders to absolve him.

Willams has a part to take blame, yes the midfield do too, as does AWB and Lindelof. Does this mean that in the Maguire thread you can’t ask why he didnt go to cut out the cross?

Meanwhile you attempt to land the blame on the CB who was pulled out to the wing to cover AWB being caught out of position?

Like I said Lindelof should have cleaned out the player out wide. Doesnt change my opinion on Maguire. Its as if you are attempting to find fault with everyone but him

El Zoido

He’s incredibly underrated by our own fans, many of who apparently can’t see the correlation between signing this guy and going unbeaten for most of the second half of the season while conceding very few goals.

Cassidy

He’s incredibly underrated by our own fans, many of who apparently can’t see the correlation between signing this guy and going unbeaten for most of the second half of the season while conceding very few goals.
Yet his partner is total shite, and Matic AWB has nothing to do with it... right
Post lockdown is actually Maguires worst form at United, he was much better before that, but you know.

Kostov

Yes I critised Maguire for his part. At no point did I say he was to blame for the goal. But again lets point at other defenders to absolve him.

Willams has a part to take blame, yes the midfield do too, as does AWB and Lindelof. Does this mean that in the Maguire thread you can’t ask why he didnt go to cut out the cross?

Meanwhile you attempt to land the blame on the CB who was pulled out to the wing to cover AWB being caught out of position?

Like I said Lindelof should have cleaned out the player out wide. Doesnt change my opinion on Maguire. Its as if you are attempting to find fault with everyone but him
No it's not the case of trying to fault everyone but him, I just simply see a reason why he did that, since it's very obvious and not like you said shit defending, and I am not even sure that he would have reached that, without scoring an own goal.

I also can understand why Lindelof was where he was, but why let him turn away from you, he should have taken the foul and the card when he already committed himself. I also pointed out it's not just Lindelof but the midfield and the RB too. Maguire and DDG were the least to blame.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think he’s the second best CB in the league. That’s going to be hugely controversial on here though. Laporte is the only player who could claim to be second best in my opinion, but I think Maguire is more physically dominant than the Frenchman.

romufc

I think he’s the second best CB in the league. That’s going to be hugely controversial on here though. Laporte is the only player who could claim to be second best in my opinion, but I think Maguire is more physically dominant than the Frenchman.
Laporte this season has been terrible, granted he has had an injury but hes been back since Jan and has not looked convincing tbh.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree here. Even if Maguire isn't second, Laporte shouldn't be way above Maguire.

The price tag & him being English playing for club who is hated by the other top 6 are the reason of this non-sense hate in media when in reality Maguire is a good defender. Lucas Hernandez was brought for 70m pounds by Bayern and the guy barely even play but no one talk about it because he's France & plays in BundesLiga. Unfortunately, the market has gone insane and nothing we can do about it.

romufc

I agree here. Even if Maguire isn't second, Laporte shouldn't be way above Maguire.

The price tag & him being English playing for club who is hated by the other top 6 are the reason of this non-sense hate in media when in reality Maguire is a good defender. Lucas Hernandez was brought for 70m pounds by Bayern and the guy barely even play but no one talk about it because he's France & plays in BundesLiga. Unfortunately, the market has gone insane and nothing we can do about it.
You can see this window, clubs find it difficult to get top class CB's. Chelsea, City all looking for a CB. Spurs might be in for one too.

Manutd were desperate for a CB, Maguire has been brilliant, alot of his work goes unnoticed whilst all his mistakes are highlighted when almost every CB in the league makes mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.