Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

80 million people for a player too slow to cover for any danger he never sees coming anyway .

Get used to that all season
I swear this is at least the third time I have seen this comment from you today. Enough already.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There's no way in hell that a player who shouldn't really need to cover is at fault as opposed to a player who's job is to header the ball but has misjudged.

What did you all think when he directed the freekick and demanded lindelof take it? Young and Lindelof were bamboozled and looked headless.
I loved it.

Not sure I agreed with him wanting Lindelof over Young, but I loved him taking charge regardless.

ManchesterYoda

A CB should have complete faith in his CB partner winning an aerial duel against Jordan "343 aerials won 776 aerials lost" Ayew. Bet even Paul Parker would have done a better job than Lindelof did :rolleyes:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I just watched the first goal again and what the feck was he doing ? He was literally in no man's land there, not guarding anyone or covering for anything. He should have been closer the player who scored in case Lindelof missed the header because it's totally possible.

I like him but that should never happen again.
Yep

Lindelof loosing the header ain't great but Maguire's part was even worse (Maguire and others by the way because someone should have been tracking the runner)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Even worse? Come on. Schlupp is 5ft9. No centre back on earth should be losing that header. Maguire's positioning and tracking of Ayew was poor, but worse than Lindelof losing a header against someone significantly smaller than him? Garbage.

charlenefan

Even worse? Come on. Schlupp is 5ft9. No centre back on earth should be losing that header. Maguire's positioning and tracking of Ayew was poor, but worse than Lindelof losing a header against someone significantly smaller than him? Garbage.
Was it Schlupp that scored the goal? No it wasn't, he did no more than win a 50/50 in the air so do one with your garbage comment

Stadjer

Was it Schlupp that scored the goal? No it wasn't, he did no more than win a 50/50 in the air so do one with your garbage comment
That is not a 50/50 header. It is a 100/0 that CB should and needs to win. Maguire could do more but Lindelof just needs to win that header.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Sorry but the blame is mostly on Linda for being soft as pig shit. A proper centre half clears the ball and player out

charlenefan

That is not a 50/50 header. It is a 100/0 that CB should and needs to win. Maguire could do more but Lindelof just needs to win that header.
Don't know what's more laughable your perception of percentages or the fact that Lindelof gets should/needs to do better but Maguire gets away with a could :lol:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Don't know what's more laughable your perception of percentages or the fact that Lindelof gets should/needs to do better but Maguire gets away with a could :lol:
Both could do better, but Maguire was having to cover the initial error from Linda, something that may well improve with greater understanding. But Linda was so poor on the header and deserves stick. Frankly, both players are way below the standard we are accustomed to. Maguire and AWB cost £130m combined, £160m if you chuck Linda in. The state of our recruitment :lol:

Foxbatt

Anyone can win a header. Evra is only 5, 9' yet he wins a lot of headers. Yes Lindelof was poor for the header but why was he alone with two Palace defenders in the first place?

charlenefan

Both could do better, but Maguire was having to cover the initial error from Linda, something that may well improve with greater understanding. But Linda was so poor on the header and deserves stick. Frankly, both players are way below the standard we are accustomed to. Maguire and AWB cost £130m combined, £160m if you chuck Linda in. The state of our recruitment :lol:
Ignore covering for a potential mistake, what about tracking the unmarked runner? Like I said I don't just blame Maguire for this I blame every defender and every central midfielder who isn't Lindelof for that and ultimately that's what cost the goal - Lindelof looses his header but if just one of his 3/4 team mates who should be around him are clocked on the goal doesn't happen (I say just one but I'm being kind at least 2 should have been aware of the eventual goalscorer)

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ignore covering for a potential mistake, what about tracking the unmarked runner? Like I said I don't just blame Maguire for this I blame every defender and every central midfielder who isn't Lindelof for that and ultimately that's what cost the goal - Lindelof looses his header but if just one of his 3/4 team mates who should be around him are clocked on the goal doesn't happen (I say just one but I'm being kind at least 2 should have been aware of the eventual goalscorer)
It was piss poor across the board, I agree. It just sticks in the throat a bit with Lindelof because his lameness on losing the header was typical of how bloody soft he is. A proper imposing defender just wipes the danger out before all the subsequent feckery ensues

Foxbatt

Yes Lindelof was poor for that but as you said why on Earth was he left with two Palace players and as the last defender?

Hughes35

Maybe I need to watch it again but I don't see Maguire as at fault for the goal. Victor must and should win the header and the right back should be the one covering behind.

No way Maguire should be far enough over to cover in my opinion.

I think he's been excellent this season. The rest of the team has been as poor as usual.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I never said it was Schlupp that scored the goal? I'm saying that a centre back losing a header against someone much smaller than him is much worse than a centre back not covering for another centre backs mistake.

When the ball is in the air, a 5ft9 winger challenging a 6ft2 centre half, that shouldn't be considered 50/50. You'd expect the centre back to have the significant advantage, both in height, strength and generally being better at heading the ball and winning aerial duels.

Both were poor for the goal, but Lindelofs contribution to the goal is by far the worst part.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
What’s the general conclusion on Harry so far?

At the moment, we’re ticking along and haven’t really missed him.

charlenefan

I never said it was Schlupp that scored the goal? I'm saying that a centre back losing a header against someone much smaller than him is much worse than a centre back not covering for another centre backs mistake.

When the ball is in the air, a 5ft9 winger challenging a 6ft2 centre half, that shouldn't be considered 50/50. You'd expect the centre back to have the significant advantage, both in height, strength and generally being better at heading the ball and winning aerial duels.

Both were poor for the goal, but Lindelofs contribution to the goal is by far the worst part.
Bollocks

And like I said stop focusing on the anticipating a mistake part and ask yourself why no one was tracking the actual goal scorer, he was the threat, he was the one who put the ball into the back of the net and whoever's failed to pick him up is the one most at fault for the goal not someone who missed a header

charlenefan

Standout performer against Chelsea
Ok against Wolves

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He’s been a clear upgrade on what we had before hand.

Slightly at fault alongside Lindelof for the first palace goal today which is the first mistake hes made. Tbh he was half having to cover for shaw who was injured and not running properly, and half expected Lindelof to deal with a simple header with ease.

I’m sure in future he will realise Lindelöf sucks in the air and will cover a bit quicker.

I’m very happy with him.

A-man

Maybe semantics, but:

Losing an aerial duel is not a mistake. It happens to one person in every duel. It was poor but not a "mistake".

Maguire was not supposed to cover for anotherone's mistake, but do his part of defending. You are not supposed to leave it open in the center so one CB is stuck alone with two players.

Njord

Maguire was at fault for the first goal, as that was a great example of poor positioning. It was weak of Lindelöf to lose the aerial duel with Schlupp, but Maguire should have covered for him. Even when van Djik goes into an aerial duel, his fellow CB will position himself closer to him, and a little behind him.

The reason for this is not only that Maguire should be ready if Lindelöf loses the duel, but also because a header can go anywhere. If Lindelöf gets a small push, he can win the header, but it could still go towards goal. In that case Maguire should be ready to cover. Brede Hangeland (former Palace defender) described the first goal yesterday as a "Junior mistake by Maguire".

Womp

idiot
Good defender, wasn't worth anywhere near what we paid for him though. He supposedly has a great mentality though, which this management seems to rate highly.

Deuterium

Wow, people's (in)ability to be impartial is mind blowing. As a coach myself I am certain that everyone that actually have played football themselves knows what could have been done better in this situation.
We learn kids to track the opposition runners when they are 10 y o. This is a junior mistake of Maguire, period.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Definitely adds a different element in transitional play and a great defender but the issue is the next phase of our attack and our unit defensively still has glaring weaknesses in Shaw and Lindelof. Even De Gea is looking shaky.

It’s not an easy team setup to join but the talent is there.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very happy with him. He can do feck all when his own counterparts makes silly mistakes like that.

Lindeloff,Shaw and DDG . :mad:

Irwin99

I really like him and I can see what he brings already. A constant problem of our team is balance and I do wonder if he could do with a quicker centre back beside him, although I like Lindelof, he's just not very quick or good in the air.

Think he will be a very important player for us in years to come.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I like what I see so far.

the amount of responsibility he takes with bringing the ball out is amazing. he also wins all defensive headers.

He is so good with the ball and has it so much we can definitely have him with Smalling. Nothing would get past them.

Smalling's speed would be great alongside the lumbering McGuire.

Giggsforever

Yes it's worse. Maguire is doing a rookie mistake, he should always calculate with that duel as lost.

Lindelof lost an aerial duel.

That said, I like them both. They look like they can form a great partnership. They both talk a lot and like to get involved - they have a instant chemistry it looks like.

Foxbatt

I think he took his eye off the ball and the game for that short moment. Normally no decent Cb is going to be caught in that position and he is a good CB. He should have seen both Schlupp and Ayew were on Lindelof and Maguire had no Palace player to deal with it. Also I felt AWB also should have done a bit better. We got squared up by a long ball and paid the price for it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
To criticise a player for not winning a header really does suggest having never played the game at any level. Sometimes a player doesn’t win a header or tackle they should have done, it happens.

Poor from Maguire in my view, not totally unsurprising given he’s new and has played 3 games straight in a new team with new team mates, a slip up isnt unexpected but to blame Lindelof is way out.

Needs to do better and switch on for Southampton, he’ll come up against more intelligent strikers with more movement etc so needs to do more.

Halftrack

Very happy with him. He can do feck all when his own counterparts makes silly mistakes like that.

Lindeloff,Shaw and DDG . :mad:
To be fair, he had a cock-up that lead to a goal as well. He also had a back pass that almost lead to a one-on-one against Wolves, where DDG bailed him out. He's been solid for the most part, but seems strange to claim individual errors from others are making it hard for him.

Schlupp had the momentum going into that duel. That's not to say Lindelöf couldn't have done better, but there's bit more to it than "Victor is taller, should win by default." He was jumping from a standstill, Schlupp had a run-up, effectively negating Lindelöf's height advantage. Anyone with even a basic understanding of, you know, jumping should be able to recognize that. Maguire mistake is just as bad. He sees Ayew making his run, lightly jogging himself, and doesn't actually start running until after Schlupp wins the aerial.

Had their roles been reversed, I guarantee you most of the people placing a majority of the blame on Lindelöf would still be doing that, while excusing Maguire with "players lose duels, that's why the partner has to cover."

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Mistakes will happen between Maguire and Lindelof. Its all about slowly building a playing relationship with each-other. Just how it is.

Concerning his ability.There's no doubt his composure at the back is hugely refreshing to witness and had it not been for a rush of blood to the head from Rashford,which is usually consistent with him, he could've ended up with a integral part in a team goal.

He turns like an oil tanker though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To be fair, he had a cock-up that lead to a goal as well. He also had a back pass that almost lead to a one-on-one against Wolves, where DDG bailed him out. He's been solid for the most part, but seems strange to claim individual errors from others are making it hard for "
Tell that to Shaw who continued after getting injured. If the ball was to Zaha , he would have torn Shaw into a new one and we would still be blaming Harry for not covering him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire's intention is probably to cover Shaw who's injured while he also expected both Lindelof & Bissaka to communicate who's marking who. It has nothing to do with Maguire's responsibility. If you play football especially in midfield or defense then you should know this is a basic defending in football. Both Palace players are on our right side, it's common sense that both Lindelof & Bissaka are the ones who responsible for it

A-man

Maguire's intention is probably to cover Shaw who's injured while he also expected both Lindelof & Bissaka to communicate who's marking who. It has nothing to do with Maguire's responsibility. If you play football especially in midfield or defense then you should know this is a basic defending in football. Both Palace players are on our right side, it's common sense that both Lindelof & Bissaka are the ones who responsible for it
It doesn't look like he's covering for Shaw. I think he just didn't see that coming and totally lost his position. These things happen.

m.imgur.com/a/m30i3ZX

Status
Not open for further replies.