Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It doesn't look like he's covering for Shaw. I think he just didn't see that coming and totally lost his position. These things happen.

m.imgur.com/a/m30i3ZX
You didn't get my point. Whether Maguire is covering or no, the responsibility for marking Ayew & Schlupp at that time is Lindelof & Bissaka job. If Bissaka is overlapping, then Lindelof should communicate with Maguire for the help.

podurban2

You didn't get my point. Whether Maguire is covering or no, the responsibility for marking Ayew & Schlupp at that time is Lindelof & Bissaka job. If Bissaka is overlapping, then Lindelof should communicate with Maguire for the help.
Maguire is definitely not in the right position there imo. Not that it takes away Lindelöf’s mistake, but to put it on Wan-Bissaka that I don’t really agree with.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire is definitely not in the right position there imo. Not that it takes away Lindelöf’s mistake, but to put it on Wan-Bissaka that I don’t really agree with.
Schlupp is left winger/midfield. Is he not supposedly Bissaka's man to mark? If Lindelof is end up marking Bissaka's men, then Bissaka should be covering Lindelof's man at that time which was Ayew.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He may have been trying to help Luke Shaw who was not long from coming off due to injury.

Nothing takes away from Lindelof's mistake. A defender should be winning that header every single time.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
A CB should have complete faith in his CB partner winning an aerial duel against Jordan "343 aerials won 776 aerials lost" Ayew. Bet even Paul Parker would have done a better job than Lindelof did :rolleyes:
So he wins roughly 1 in 3, either Maguire needs to directly cover the player or step up a yard and have him offside.

A-man

Schlupp is left winger/midfield. Is he not supposedly Bissaka's man to mark? If Lindelof is end up marking Bissaka's men, then Bissaka should be covering Lindelof's man at that time which was Ayew.
I looked at the goal now ten more times in slow motion and agree to some extent; Bissaka does not have any other to mark so he could have helped out. But there is no chance he would have time to follow Ayew, that is on Maguire. To Bissaka's defence it also looks like he is trying actively to stay in line with Lindelof to set Ayew offside, but unfortunately Maguire is not in the offside line. I think Maguire should have reacted much earlier. As soon as he saw the long ball he should have started his run as he has no other opponent to care about.

It also looks like Lindelof didn't see Schlupp coming until the very last second as he comes from the side and Lindelof is facing a bit inward.

Alabaster Codify7

Time to introduce Smalling and play him with Maguire.

It's not as far-fetched as it seems. We'd all prefer Axel, but if Lindelöf botches again and gets dropped, Ole might be wary of throwing a youngster in to a position that'll be under heavy, heavy scrutiny from the media and critics. Smalling might well find himself in the mixer again.

Ekeke

Slight upgrade :lol:

He’s a huge upgrade ffs
Yeah such a huge upgrade that we've conceded 3 goals in 3 games so far, instead of 5 from our first 3 games last season - 2 games with Lindelof and Bailly and the 3rd with Jones and Smalling, which was surely our worst start to the season. He's a bit better.

Brophs

The One and Only
One of the main issues with Maguire, particularly at that price, is that he's never going to guarantee you defensive solidity. He's obviously a good defender, but not nearly as good as you'd expect for a world record fee. It's the other side of his game that you'd hope will make up for that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah such a huge upgrade that we've conceded 3 goals in 3 games so far, instead of 5 from our first 3 games last season - 2 games with Lindelof and Bailly and the 3rd with Jones and Smalling, which was surely our worst start to the season. He's a bit better.
So you’re not going to consider the opposition in those 3 games

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All these ifs, buts and maybes wouldn't have happened if Lindelof just won the freaking header. If that was Maguire he wins the header and flattens Schlupp. Lindelof is just too timid in that situation.

Maguire and AWB clearly switched off expecting Lindelof to win the header and nod it to the side.

The goal reminds me so much of the goal De Bruyne scored at OT back when Blind was playing CB.

AdNani

Instead of using the goals scored against, why not just look at individual performance?

Or when we went on that record breaking run of not conceding in 09 with Jonny Evans playing instead of Rio due to injury, was Jonny Evans better than Rio?

Anyone who actually watched Maguire since he came can see he’s a massive upgrade on anyone else we have on our

Ekeke

Instead of using the goals scored against, why not just look at individual performance?

Or when we went on that record breaking run of not conceding in 09 with Jonny Evans playing instead of Rio due to injury, was Jonny Evans better than Rio?

Anyone who actually watched Maguire since he came can see he’s a massive upgrade on anyone else we have on our
Clearly not

Ekeke

You don't think his passing and carrying the ball forward has been better than Smalling?
A bit better so far.

I think he's a lot better on the ball but we havent seen a lot come from his dribbling and passing yet. For instance his first 2 long passes last match he aimed towards Shaw and put them both out for throw ins. And with his dribbling he gets to the point of taking someone on, then passes sideways so far

Stacks

One of the main issues with Maguire, particularly at that price, is that he's never going to guarantee you defensive solidity. He's obviously a good defender, but not nearly as good as you'd expect for a world record fee. It's the other side of his game that you'd hope will make up for that.
Neither Leicester now England had a solid defence so that's true, you need to give him a good partner as he is no VVD. VVD can be partnered with anyone

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Smalling doesn't win headers either, he almost always gives away fouls in these situations.
What? I mean...what?

Smalling is one of the best in the league at winning headers in open play. He's not quite so good at set pieces, but even then he's still quite good and was easily our best until we signed Maguire.

Obviously it looks like he's being loaned out now so it doesn't matter, but claiming he doesn't win headers is just weird.

romufc

What? I mean...what?

Smalling is one of the best in the league at winning headers in open play. He's not quite so good at set pieces, but even then he's still quite good and was easily our best until we signed Maguire.

Obviously it looks like he's being loaned out now so it doesn't matter, but claiming he doesn't win headers is just weird.
How many times does he back into people and commit silly fouls in open play. The way he holds people on set pieces as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
How many times does he back into people and commit silly fouls in open play. The way he holds people on set pieces as well.
He does do that sometimes, but far less than he wins the ball cleanly. He's also given just one penalty away in his nine seasons with us for holding at set pieces. I actually do expect that to increase slightly now that VAR is coming in, but nowhere near as much as some make out. Maybe one a season.

romufc

He does do that sometimes, but far less than he wins the ball cleanly. He's also given just one penalty away in his nine seasons with us for holding at set pieces. I actually do expect that to increase slightly now that VAR is coming in, but nowhere near as much as some make out. Maybe one a season.
THe thing is we have too many CB's and at least one had to go. Bailly is injured so he has to stay as no one will come in for him.
Jones - again no takers
Rojo - Weird one this, but can play LB too
Tuanzebe - Ole wants him in the squad

Smalling - Ole doesn't rate him and someone has come in for him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
A bit better so far.

I think he's a lot better on the ball but we havent seen a lot come from his dribbling and passing yet. For instance his first 2 long passes last match he aimed towards Shaw and put them both out for throw ins. And with his dribbling he gets to the point of taking someone on, then passes sideways so far
«A lot come»? Like assists or key passes? Well, that is not the point.

The build up play has improved significantly, and it is a lot more difficult for the opponents to press us. That is huge!

Josh 76

Neither Leicester now England had a solid defence so that's true, you need to give him a good partner as he is no VVD. VVD can be partnered with anyone
VVD would be valued at 120m plus today. So comparing him with Maguire should never be a discussion.

Alabaster Codify7

Maguire is one of the few players that genuinely belongs at this football club. He did nothing wrong today really, nor has done much wrong in the past four games. But he's fighting a losing battle, he deserves a better partner than what we can offer him. I just hope Axel is given a shot soon and excels. Or else we are screwed.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Really like him, so composed and calm. Shame Lindelof had an off game, he deserves more clean sheets than he's getting.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's been very good so far. Long may it continue.

I feel very assured when he's dealing with an aerial duel or whenever he has the ball.

He played some excellent passes between the lines today.

meninred

His ability to me is somewhere between smalling and Ferdinand.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His passing kept kick starting our attacks. Unfortunately our midfield is useless

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Really like him, so composed and calm. Shame Lindelof had an off game, he deserves more clean sheets than he's getting.
Lindelof has off games all the time. Hate this fantasy land on here who think he's class. He's not. He only seemed decent last season because he was so so so bad year before.

He's a very average player. Slow and can't win headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.