Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

He isn't doing something that's not natural to him, he isn't trying to become a leader. He is doing what any senior CB does. It's not like he is playing alongside seasoned veterans. He plays alongside Lindelof, Shaw, AWB who all are young enough players.

Also the way I see it, he is just communicating with the players which is also big part of defensive set up.
He is communicating, yes and that's good. But a lot of people already say this is the new captain and how much leadership he had. I haven't seen this, but I have seen him try and it looked a bit forced to me. Not only on the pitch but also in interviews. Let's not forget that he is not a senior CB. He is 26 and will have average plenty of room for improvements.

Mickson

Like all Leicester fans, none of us wanted to sell Maguire.....But fortunately it was done on our terms and will prove to be a great bit of business for ourselves, having both Benkovic/Soyuncu for half the Maguire fee, and will both more than likely reach Maguire's current level.

Maguire is exceptionally good with the ball for a center half, he's a threat with his physicality and he never hides from looking to make something happen.
But.....
He is not a Leader, that is the greatest misconception I have seen seen even as early as when this transfer was first being discussed.

'He will add real leadership/Experience to United's backline' was a tagline constantly spewed out by the media and was picked up by United fans that hadn't really watched enough of him.

At Leicester Maguire was always the 'Junior' of the two center halves. Even Evans who only came in last season, made it immediately obvious, with his performances and attitude, that he too would take charge of the back line if not partnered by Morgan.
I think Maguire was potentially 12 months away from gaining that experience to become on a similar level to Jonny Evans. A big regret for me was that Maguire never got to learn from alongside Huth, who did absolute wonders for our side and was one of the main reason we won the league when we did.

Outside of Van Dijk, there are no other World Class Center halves in this league, is Maguire the closest there is?
He is in that bracket certainly.
Better than the likes of Stones/David Luiz etc, but not really obviously better than Jonny Evans/Robert Huth who has/have been absolute steals for us.

Maguire could be part of a World Class center back pairing but i'm not convinced he could be that without being the weaker of the two in that partnership, a Kompany/Ferdinand/Vidic/Van Dijk is needed for him.
Is that worth £80 million?
He's more Matip than Van Dijk.
Good post. Interesting perspective. I'm also doubtful of his class but he's probably better than what we have so. We'll see.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is communicating, yes and that's good. But a lot of people already say this is the new captain and how much leadership he had. I haven't seen this, but I have seen him try and it looked a bit forced to me. Not only on the pitch but also in interviews. Let's not forget that he is not a senior CB. He is 26 and will have average plenty of room for improvements.
With the squad we have, it's not difficult to be a leader or captain. Hardly any players who is worthy of wearing arm band. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly but i have seen him organizing/trying to organize defense for England too, communicating with players next to him.

I think he will be captain sooner if De Gea isn't the captain. He is good CB and regular starter, communicates well and have good reputation.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Lindelof did for Sweden what Harry did versus Kosovo, the caf would implode with reams of pages asking to free Tuanzebe.

A-man

With the squad we have, it's not difficult to be a leader or captain. Hardly any players who is worthy of wearing arm band. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly but i have seen him organizing/trying to organize defense for England too, communicating with players next to him.

I think he will be captain sooner if De Gea isn't the captain. He is good CB and regular starter, communicates well and have good reputation.
He is communicating, is a good player and is at the moment given as a starter. But I don't see leadership qualities, yet. And I don't see the that he is organizing the def3nce at United. For freekicks etc it has been Lindelof who sets the offside line for example.

iHicksy

That's not difficult to be fair. We need him to be one of the best in the league.
I'm not sure there are many better? Obvs VVD. The goals we've conceded are more down to Lindelof and De gear having howlers and the lack of protection offered by our imobile and tactically unaware midfield.

iHicksy

Thank god that we finally have someone who can order people around. I just think he should focus on his own performances and iron out his mistakes before trying his best to look like a leader.
Except he's been our best centre back too and best defender after AWB. So what you're saying makes zero sense.

roonster09

Scout
He is communicating, is a good player and is at the moment given as a starter. But I don't see leadership qualities, yet. And I don't see the that he is organizing the def3nce at United. For freekicks etc it has been Lindelof who sets the offside line for example.
I see it other way. Lets see how the season goes. I won't be surprised if Lindelof is dropped for few games in next month or 2.

romufc

If Lindelof did for Sweden what Harry did versus Kosovo, the caf would implode with reams of pages asking to free Tuanzebe.
Exactly.

Just have a look at the Lindefor thread this morning, "another mistake for Sweden, had to apologise" and on this thread, better get the mistakes out for England and learn

A-man

I see it other way. Lets see how the season goes. I won't be surprised if Lindelof is dropped for few games in next month or 2.
Yes it is way too early and it is not like I have any proof or anything, just a feeling. I think Ole's plan is to build the central defence with Maguire/Lindelof, and that's why they both got really long contracts, but of course of it doesn't work out he will need to try other options. The only available option now is either Jones who I think was decent last season or Tuanzebe who is relatively untested at this level.

roonster09

Scout
Yes it is way too early and it is not like I have any proof or anything, just a feeling. I think Ole's plan is to build the central defence with Maguire/Lindelof, and that's why they both got really long contracts, but of course of it doesn't work out he will need to try other options. The only available option now is either Jones who I think was decent last season or Tuanzebe who is relatively untested at this level.
Yeah I think plan is to have Lindelof and Maguire as first choice pair. I just think it will be Tuanzebe who will end up as first choice. Might be completely wrong but just a gut feeling going by what I have seen of him.

A-man

Yeah I think plan is to have Lindelof and Maguire as first choice pair. I just think it will be Tuanzebe who will end up as first choice. Might be completely wrong but just a gut feeling going by what I have seen of him.
I only saw two full matches of Tuanzebe last season, and in those he was ok, not good not bad. I think one critical parameter for him will be how calm and well he can play under pressure. Last season he played on a second league where there is very little pressure out on the centrebacks, whereas the PL sometimes have extreme pressure. I have not noticed myself, but some also say his passing is weak.

roonster09

Scout
I only saw two full matches of Tuanzebe last season, and in those he was ok, not good not bad. I think one critical parameter for him will be how calm and well he can play under pressure. Last season he played on a second league where there is very little pressure out on the centrebacks, whereas the PL sometimes have extreme pressure. I have not noticed myself, but some also say his passing is weak.
Yeah but he has good ability to bring the ball out of defense and his composure on the ball is good. Lindelof is good too, people play down his passing just because he doesn't create chances from deep. Against Southampton, Lindelof started the move, instead of passing the ball back, he took on defender and passed the ball to AWB who was in good space. These little things goes unnoticed but so much useful in the build up play.

If Lindelof can become bit aggressive then there won't be many calls for Tuanzebe to start. I'm going with Tuanzebe impressing in Europa league games and then winning the place. When it's a close contest, I feel Ole goes with HG player.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This place is so so touchy nowadays. So much overreacting over every little thing.

simmee

Except he's been our best centre back too and best defender after AWB. So what you're saying makes zero sense.
Why does it make zero sense? He has still made misstakes. That's why I think he would be better off focusing on his own play then pretending to be a leader. But if you are happy with how it is at the moment, then good for you. I hope everyone at the club has higher standards.

roonster09

Scout
Why does it make zero sense? He has still made misstakes. That's why I think he would be better off focusing on his own play then pretending to be a leader. But if you are happy with how it is at the moment, then good for you. I hope everyone at the club has higher standards.
Pretending to be a leader? Now communicating with players is pretending to be a leader :lol:

iHicksy

Because you seem to be obsessed that he's "pretending" to be a leader. How someone could pretend to do that is beyond me. But you're saying that he's doing this pretending at the expense of being a good defender. Except, the two aren't mutually exclusive. It's not like he's shouting at people when he should be tracking his man, and B he's been our best centre back. He's not been bad, and hence "his pretending" (really?) clearly isn't getting in the way of his defending.

A-man

Yeah but he has good ability to bring the ball out of defense and his composure on the ball is good. Lindelof is good too, people play down his passing just because he doesn't create chances from deep. Against Southampton, Lindelof started the move, instead of passing the ball back, he took on defender and passed the ball to AWB who was in good space. These little things goes unnoticed but so much useful in the build up play.

If Lindelof can become bit aggressive then there won't be many calls for Tuanzebe to start. I'm going with Tuanzebe impressing in Europa league games and then winning the place. When it's a close contest, I feel Ole goes with HG player.
I think the ball handling part including passing has started well, considering there is a new formation at the back. Hopefully they all dare to play out more from the back but as you say, it is ongoing but maybe not noticed by everybody.

United need all of Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe to perform well as it looks as they are the long term plan. And United really need to spend money on players on midfield and attack.

Jonno

I hate to break this to you, but I think he is just being a leader.

simmee

Because you seem to be obsessed that he's "pretending" to be a leader. How someone could pretend to do that is beyond me. But you're saying that he's doing this pretending at the expense of being a good defender. Except, the two aren't mutually exclusive. It's not like he's shouting at people when he should be tracking his man, and B he's been our best centre back. He's not been bad, and hence "his pretending" (really?) clearly isn't getting in the way of his defending.
"Indeed. I've watched every game he's played for us and he's clearly a leader. He's only been at the club five minutes and he's ordering people around. Against crystal palace he grabbed the ball off of young pushed it into victors arms told him to take the freekick, then pointed where he wanted it and ran into the box. He's more of a leader than i've seen for us in recent times."

This is what you wrote. I've never said he's not a good defender and I'm sure he'll be a good transfer for us in the end. You are obviously impressed by him telling Lindelof to take the free kick instead of Young (In what way is that even good? Young is better at it and if anything Lindelof should be in the box if we are desperately chasing a goal). All I've seen his him trying to get everyone to celebrate goals together and then the amazing free kick situation where he really proved himself to be a great leader. Great players lead with their performances. I think he looks desperate to prove himself based on his price tag. He will prove himself to be a good buy if he's focusing on his football.

Pretending to be a leader? Now communicating with players is pretending to be a leader :lol:
Sorry, I take it back. Like the rest of you I was stunned by his leadership qualities and communication skills when he told Lindelof to take the free kick. And the way he is ordering people around as well... Wow! Maybe next game he will order himself to stay in position. As I wrote above, I'm sure he'll be a good buy in the end and he obviously has qualities that we need. I'm just not impressed by some perceived leadership qualities and think he would be better off focusing on his own performances at the moment.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry, I take it back. Like the rest of you I was stunned by his leadership qualities and communication skills when he told Lindelof to take the free kick. And the way he is ordering people around as well... Wow! Maybe next game he will order himself to stay in position. As I wrote above, I'm sure he'll be a good buy in the end and he obviously has qualities that we need. I'm just not impressed by some perceived leadership qualities and think he would be better off focusing on his own performances at the moment
Maybe next time if he talks to anyone, just blame him for talking to players. I mean, who even does that. Who even instructs free kick taker, where to aim, considering he is our best header of the ball. It's nothing to with leadership qualities, it's basic thing to do on the pitch.

simmee

Maybe next time if he talks to anyone, just blame him for talking to players. I mean, who even does that. Who even instructs free kick taker, where to aim, considering he is our best header of the ball. It's nothing to with leadership qualities, it's basic thing to do on the pitch.
Exactly, it's a basic thing to do. So why are you so impressed by it? I'm not the one arguing it shows amazing leadership qualities. To copy your way of arguing and posting: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

roonster09

Scout
Exactly, it's a basic thing to do. So why are you so impressed by it? I'm not the one arguing it shows amazing leadership qualities. To copy your way of arguing and posting: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Impressed by what?

So it was the basic thing to do but you said Maguire was pretending to be the leader, when asked how he is pretending, you are coming up with 'posts on redcafe'? fecking hell.

What a stupid post, respecting the rule criticize the post not the poster.

simmee

Impressed by what?

So it was the basic thing to do but you said Maguire was pretending to be the leader, when asked how he is pretending, you are coming up with 'posts on redcafe'? fecking hell.

What a stupid post, respecting the rule criticize the post not the poster.
If you had watched him before United you would see the differences and I think it's obvious he's thinking to much about the expectations which might be because of the price tag. But I guess it's more important for you to join conversations where you barely know the context. Such a mature guy. You're not at all making yourself look like a fool.

You could start with reading posts from Leicester fans made here to increase your knowledge. The next step would be to look at some of their games when he played for them, but I'm fairly sure that's to much to ask from someone like you.

A-man

He was made out in media to be the leader Unitef needed and that was the expectation most fans, journalists etc had when he arrived. Then add extremely high price tag and I would be surprised if he didn't feel those expectations.

roonster09

Scout
If you had watched him before United you would see the differences and I think it's obvious he's thinking to much about the expectations which might be because of the price tag. But I guess it's more important for you to join conversations where you barely know the context. Such a mature guy. You're not at all making yourself look like a fool.

You could start with reading posts from Leicester fans made here to increase your knowledge. The next step would be to look at some of their games when he played for them, but I'm fairly sure that's to much to ask from someone like you.
I have watched enough games for Leicester, England and he is going what he did in the past. Talking to the players next to him, which is basic thing to do. That's how defenders or any players play on the pitch.

Not sure how Leicester fans posts have anything to do with what you said. They said he isn't a leader, yeah he might not be leader. How did he pretend to be leader? Not a hard question.

Surely one is looking like a fool and it's certainly not me, maybe it's the poster who moaned about players talking on the pitch and then concluding "player is trying too hard and pretending to be a leader"

He got the armband after Kane went off in the first Eng match and also captained Hull a few times, so he obviously posses some leadership qualities.

roonster09

Scout
He was made out in media to be the leader Unitef needed and that was the expectation most fans, journalists etc had when he arrived. Then add extremely high price tag and I would be surprised if he didn't feel those expectations.
He was expected to be the leader of the defense, doubt anyone would disagree with that. I was wondering how he was "pretending to be a leader" when he did the basic things on the pitch and he wasn't even playing like he is capable of. He even played reserved role, especially when he was on possession.

Encouraging players is something you expect from any player, last season even Lindelof used to do that. Few fans are looking for silly things to blame him now.

A-man

He got the armband after Kane went off in the first Eng match and also captained Hull a few times, so he obviously posses some leadership qualities.
Same as DDG but still I haven't seen leadership with him.

He was expected to be the leader of the defense, doubt anyone would disagree with that. I was wondering how he was "pretending to be a leader" when he did the basic things on the pitch and he wasn't even playing like he is capable of. He even played reserved role, especially when he was on possession.

Encouraging players is something you expect from any player, last season even Lindelof used to do that. Few fans are looking for silly things to blame him now.
I wouldnt say he is pretending to be a leader, but to me it is like he is feeling the pressure to be the leader and it is not fully natural to him. You can see that in Interviews as well.

Compare this to Ibrahimovic who already in the first interviews took all the pressure from the other players, Pogba especially, and asked for everybody to put it on his shoulders.

I am definitely not trying to blame him for anything. He was my first pick over Koulibaly and De Ligt and I think he has been good so far.

roonster09

Scout
I wouldnt say he is pretending to be a leader, but to me it is like he is feeling the pressure to be the leader and it is not fully natural to him. You can see that in Interviews as well.

Compare this to Ibrahimovic who already in the first interviews took all the pressure from the other players, Pogba especially, and asked for everybody to put it on his shoulders.

I am definitely not trying to blame him for anything. He was my first pick over Koulibaly and De Ligt and I think he has been good so far.
Which interview? From what I have seen on the pitch, he isn't doing anything that he didn't before. Like I said, he isn't playing with complete freedom like he did at previous clubs. There is so much more to come from him.

A-man

Which interview? From what I have seen on the pitch, he isn't doing anything that he didn't before. Like I said, he isn't playing with complete freedom like he did at previous clubs. There is so much more to come from him.
It's small things, he talks like he is representing United in a way like he's been in the club for a long time. After last match "We're Man United and we want to control games.” This is about the club's greatness and pride. As I said it is more a feeling I have, that the makes me not 100% he is the given captain. I have not seen the leadership qualities that others talk about.

He's not as timid as DDG and is a lot more vocal. DDG acts like a cat's caught his tongue.
Agree but mentioned this to examplify that the captain is not always the leader.

simmee

I have watched enough games for Leicester, England and he is going what he did in the past. Talking to the players next to him, which is basic thing to do. That's how defenders or any players play on the pitch.

Not sure how Leicester fans posts have anything to do with what you said. They said he isn't a leader, yeah he might not be leader. How did he pretend to be leader? Not a hard question.

Surely one is looking like a fool and it's certainly not me, maybe it's the poster who moaned about players talking on the pitch and then concluding "player is trying too hard and pretending to be a leader"
It was iHicksy who brought up him ordering people around and telling Lindelof to take the freekick as something extraordinary, hence why I mentioned that. Well if you had you would see that he's not playing his own game atm. It looks like he's focusing to much on the expectations on what he "should be" because of the media/price tag/whatever.

Where have I said he's trying too hard? And trying too hard at what? You seem to think that I'm blaming him for our performances or something. I've already said I think he will be a good buy for us. But imo he will show his true quality when he starts to focus more on his own game.

roonster09

Scout
It was iHicksy who brought up him ordering people around and telling Lindelof to take the freekick as something extraordinary, hence why I mentioned that. Well if you had you would see that he's not playing his own game atm. It looks like he's focusing to much on the expectations on what he "should be" because of the media/price tag/whatever.

Where have I said he's trying too hard? And trying too hard at what? You seem to think that I'm blaming him for our performances or something. I've already said I think he will be a good buy for us. But imo he will show his true quality when he starts to focus more on his own game.
I saw iHicksy post, not sure how is it related to your post that "he pretends to be a leader". You also agreed he is doing the most basic thing on the pitch, that is communicating with the players. So your response is just because someone praised ManUtd player, what a cnutish thing to do on ManUtd forum.

He is not playing his own game when it comes to his use of possession, not because he told where the free kick should go. I mean CB asking where the delivery should be? It happens in every game for every set piece.

Where did you say he is trying too hard?

Thank god that we finally have someone who can order people around. I just think he should focus on his own performances and iron out his mistakes before trying his best to look like a leader.
I actually think he should focus more on his own game. Seem to be focusing to much on looking like a leader, maybe it’s because of his price tag. I don’t care about him telling someone to take a free kick or trying to get everyone to celebrate a goal together if he’s not getting the basic defending right.
No, you didn't blame him for our performance, you blamed him for communicating with the players and came up with weird "he is pretending to be a leader" post.

roonster09

Scout
It's small things, he talks like he is representing United in a way like he's been in the club for a long time. After last match "We're Man United and we want to control games.” This is about the club's greatness and pride. As I said it is more a feeling I have, that the makes me not 100% he is the given captain. I have not seen the leadership qualities that others talk about.
Not sure how that means he is trying to be a leader or saying something that's not natural. He grew up during glory days and he is saying what any ManUtd fans says, that we should control the game better and should be afraid to take risks and attack.

KennyBurner

Most of the games Ive watched this is actually the opposite. The last game was preason where he generally struggled to control the ball and had multiple heavy touches. What good is his composure if his touch lets him down most of the time? Im sure that is one of the last things we need under Ole.

roonster09

Scout
Most of the games Ive watched this is actually the opposite. The last game was preason where he generally struggled to control the ball and had multiple heavy touches. What good is his composure if his touch lets him down most of the time? Im sure that is one of the last things we need under Ole.
Which player are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.