Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Not sure how that means he is trying to be a leader or saying something that's not natural. He grew up during glory days and he is saying what any ManUtd fans says, that we should control the game better and should be afraid to take risks and attack.
It's not wrong, but to identify yourself with your new club that early and speak in those terms is what I would call stepping forward and trying to be a leader.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not wrong, but to identify yourself with your new club that early and speak in those terms is what I would call stepping forward and trying to be a leader.
This is just nitpicking.

iHicksy

Exactly, it's a basic thing to do. So why are you so impressed by it? I'm not the one arguing it shows amazing leadership qualities. To copy your way of arguing and posting: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
You're coming across like you have an agenda and your cherry picking parts of what people are saying and intentionally ignoring the other points to try and verify what you're saying and then jumping to conclusions to further solidify it is pretty tiring to read and pointless to argue against.

A-man

This is just nitpicking.
Everything is in isolation, but for me this is partnof what is giving me the feeling that he is trying to show leadership. Again, I can be wrong and the opposite is true that he has no ambitions to lead his team.

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
Jesus suggesting he isn’t clearly better than Evans and Huth. Even Luiz and Stones are better than him.
I didn't suggest Stones/Luiz were better than him, but they're in a similar model in that they too have the same major weakness as Maguire.
Lack of awareness/Lack of positioning, i'm not sure what you call it.
A true Leader, a Tony Adams/Roy Keane/John Terry etc 'Lead by example', they don't just bark out instructions, they back it up with their performances.
John Terry would've been backing up Lindelof for the goal you conceded against Palace.

In a Leicester shirt Maguire hasn't been anywhere near as impactful as Huth/Evans, I'm not really sure how any of you can argue with that.
The year before he arrived we conceded over 60 goals in the league.....We conceded 60 goals again when he was a regular.
Contrast to Huth and Evans.
Huth turned us from a side destined for relegation to the greatest escape in the premier league in 6 months.....And then turned our back 4 into title winners in just another 12 months, but unfortunately got crocked after.
Evans arrived when we conceded 60 goals in the league, and unlike Maguire, through Leadership, organised the same defence into conceding 48 goals.

Maguire has not demonstrated Leadership at Leicester City.
He was deputy to Morgan/Evans, and would certainly have been to Huth had they both been present at the club at the same time.

Being a better leader than Pogba/Smalling etc does not suddenly make you a good leader.

Chelsea have become a significantly weaker side without a £100 million player in Hazard.
Southampton have become a relegation battling side from a comfortable mid-table side without a £75 million player in Van Dijk.
Real Madrid have gone from a side dominating European Football, to a far weaker side losing a £90 million player in Ronaldo.
Liverpool have gone from a side competing for 4th spot, to become Title challengers and European cup winners with £75 million Van Dijk.

Time will tell if Maguire is the 'Leader', 'Quality defender' and 'Our Van Dijk' that some of you claim he is.
I have a feeling you will be disappointed though, and unlike Evans/Huth, who are 'Clearly not better', he will retire with less Premier League titles than either.

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
A lot of you are overreacting far too much on this 'Leadership' issue.

Your fans don't rate the Glazers.....I get it.
Your fans don't rate Woodward.....I get it.
Some don't rate Ole.....I get it.

But that's where your first initial problem is with Leadership. Leadership always works top down, if you don't have it off the pitch, it's far harder to have it on it.

That's why Ferguson is missed so much.
He wasn't considered tactically a genius (No that isn't me saying he was bad).
His transfer policy wasn't the best.....
But he was the man in charge.
He believed in your class of 92, and lead by example. Took all the media flak 'Can't win nothing with kids' etc, but continuously backed himself year after year.

Maguire may very well become a leader, but he has not showed that at Leicester.
At England it's almost been thrown at him because the back 4 is so unsettled.

But right now he's a Varane/Gimenez/Matip rather than a Ramos/Godin/Van Dijk.
A guy who in my opinion is a far far better player with a more experienced player next to him (See his improvement after Evans arrived).

Last edited by a moderator:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I didn't suggest Stones/Luiz were better than him, but they're in a similar model in that they too have the same major weakness as Maguire.
Lack of awareness/Lack of positioning, i'm not sure what you call it.
A true Leader, a Tony Adams/Roy Keane/John Terry etc 'Lead by example', they don't just bark out instructions, they back it up with their performances.
John Terry would've been backing up Lindelof for the goal you conceded against Palace.

In a Leicester shirt Maguire hasn't been anywhere near as impactful as Huth/Evans, I'm not really sure how any of you can argue with that.
The year before he arrived we conceded over 60 goals in the league.....We conceded 60 goals again when he was a regular.
Contrast to Huth and Evans.
Huth turned us from a side destined for relegation to the greatest escape in the premier league in 6 months.....And then turned our back 4 into title winners in just another 12 months, but unfortunately got crocked after.
Evans arrived when we conceded 60 goals in the league, and unlike Maguire, through Leadership, organised the same defence into conceding 48 goals.

Maguire has not demonstrated Leadership at Leicester City.
He was deputy to Morgan/Evans, and would certainly have been to Huth had they both been present at the club at the same time.

Being a better leader than Pogba/Smalling etc does not suddenly make you a good leader.

Chelsea have become a significantly weaker side without a £100 million player in Hazard.
Southampton have become a relegation battling side from a comfortable mid-table side without a £75 million player in Van Dijk.
Real Madrid have gone from a side dominating European Football, to a far weaker side losing a £90 million player in Ronaldo.
Liverpool have gone from a side competing for 4th spot, to become Title challengers and European cup winners with £75 million Van Dijk.

Time will tell if Maguire is the 'Leader', 'Quality defender' and 'Our Van Dijk' that some of you claim he is.
I have a feeling you will be disappointed though, and unlike Evans/Huth, who are 'Clearly not better', he will retire with less Premier League titles than either.
I agree with your take.

Our leader at the back last season was Lindelöf, i'm unsure whether Maguire even is our leader. He has got the price tag, but he's actually not been that great so far.

Maguire has made a few sloppy errors in our matches this season that have cost us goals, which has made Lindelöf look bad. Lindelöf has gotten a lot of stick so far this season, but i think they are similar in levels actually. He's certainly not a level above him right now, that's for sure. We paid £30m for Lindelöf though who's a year younger too & has the shown the ability to lead a defence.

I want to see him against the top sides so we can see what he's like vs agile forwards, as if he can't cope with them, we might as well have kept Smalling if that's the case.

Last edited:
I agree with your take.

Our leader at the back last season was Lindelöf, i'm unsure whether Maguire even is our leader. He has got the price tag, but he's actually not been that great so far.

Maguire has made a few sloppy errors in our matches this season that have cost us goals, which has made Lindelöf look bad. Lindelöf has gotten a lot of stick so far this season, but i think they are similar in levels actually. He's certainly not a level above him right now, that's for sure. We paid £30m for Lindelöf though who's a year younger too & has the shown the ability to lead a defence.

I want to see him against the top sides so we can see what he's like vs agile forwards, as if he can't cope with them, we might as well have kept Smalling if that's the case.
What are you talking about? Lindeolf was at fault for the goals against Palace and Southampton. Maguire has been one of our best players so far.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What are you talking about? Lindeolf was at fault for the goals against Palace and Southampton. Maguire has been one of our best players so far.
Lindelöf originally lost the header but Maguire never covered for him and failed to track the runner. He was just as guilty in that goal.

Vs Southampton, the same scenario happened with Maguire losing a header to a much smaller player but Lindelöf was on the ball & covering for him and snuffed out the chance.

The goal at Southampton, Lindelöf got outjumped by the bigger player who also had a running start on him. That can happen. He also signaled to the players around him twice but Rashford ran off & Pogba just stood there watching so i do think it's a bit harsh to pin the blame all on him in that case.

Whereas you see Maguire as being one of our best players so far, for £80m my expectations are higher. He has been very good going forward yes, but defensively has been shaky. Against the top teams i have my concerns. This is what i have thought before he even signed to be honest.

Has he really been much better than Lindelöf so far? My opinion is i don't think he has been. I would say they have been similar.

Last edited:

HowieC

Lindelöf originally lost the header but Maguire never covered for him and failed to track the runner. He was just as guilty in that goal.

Vs Southampton, the same scenario happened with Maguire losing a header to a much smaller player but Lindelöf was on the ball & covering for him and snuffed out the chance.

The goal at Southampton, Lindelöf got outjumped by the bigger player who also had a running start on him. That can happen. He also signaled to the players around him twice but Rashford ran off & Pogba just stood there watching so i do think it's a bit harsh to pin the blame all on him in that case.

Whereas you see Maguire as being one of our best players so far, for £80m my expectations are higher. He has been very good going forward yes, but defensively has been shaky. Against the top teams i have my concerns. This is what i have thought before he even signed to be honest.

Has he really been much better than Lindelöf so far? My opinion is i don't think he has been. I would say they have been similar.
Maguire has been solid and has reinforced the side significantly. The 80 m pricetag should not be held against him, and he should not be compared to the likes of van dijk. We are in dire straits, and action must be taken, however costly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Liverpool have gone from a side competing for 4th spot, to become Title challengers and European cup winners with £75 million Van Dijk

I have a feeling you will be disappointed though, and unlike Evans/Huth, who are 'Clearly not better', he will retire with less Premier League titles than either
Southampton were 2-3 points above relegation zone when they sold VVD. They didn't become relegation battling team just because they sold VVD, they kept on losing their best players and it finally caught up. They also changed manager in 2017-18, which played big part.

Anyways can't compare Maguire to those players as he isn't in their class. Hazard is among the best player in his generation and Ronaldo is among the best ever players. VVD is best CB in the world.

Regarding Evans/Huth and PL titles, maybe Mane and Salah are not better than Albrighton and Mahrez. Maybe TAA/AWB is not better than Simpson. VVD might not be better than Wes Morgan too.

This is without even bringing players like Anderson, Cleverley who won more league titles than Gerrard.

Roboc7

Maguire is never going to be a top class player, he’s a 40m player that cost a world record fee. He improves our team but Leicester didn’t even sign a replacement because he wasn’t the leader of their defence like a lot of people thought.

Have to forget the price tag, he’s going to make mistakes, going to get caught out and isn’t VVD but he’s better than what we had.

CRUTotalFootballYFF

Supports
Leicester
It was iHicksy who brought up him ordering people around and telling Lindelof to take the freekick as something extraordinary, hence why I mentioned that. Well if you had you would see that he's not playing his own game atm. It looks like he's focusing to much on the expectations on what he "should be" because of the media/price tag/whatever.

Where have I said he's trying too hard? And trying too hard at what? You seem to think that I'm blaming him for our performances or something. I've already said I think he will be a good buy for us. But imo he will show his true quality when he starts to focus more on his own game.
Exactly this.
I think the major problem is that he is expected to be 'The Leader', and all the great teams have multiple 'Leaders/Captains' so to speak.

The dominant Manchester United sides of past years.

Schmeichel - Leader
Neville - Leader
Ferdinand - Leader
Vidic - Leader
Keane - Leader

You get the point. It's the same with City over recent years

Kompany - Leader
Silva - Leader
Aguero - Leader
De Bruyne - Leader

etc.

From an outsider perspective Pogba appears to be an embarrassment and De Gea doesn't appear to be as vocal about leading/helping the team as he does when requesting terms on his contract.
Sure, you could argue that Pogba has had the problem of no other leaders in the side too, which is accurate. But at least Maguire says the right things, under Mourinho, Pogba was an embarrassment to the club. He didn't have to get on with/like Mourinho, Keane had many issues with Ferguson, but he still gave his all for the club and fans.

There isn't one way to lead. They don't need to go around shouting.
Ronaldo was a leader at Old Trafford, he had many of the same 'Weaknesses' as Pogba, selfish at times, questionable attitude. But he led by taking games by the scruff of the neck, not ordering people about.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ10

Bar that moment with Vardy in second half he was really good.

R'hllor

Good, putting Vardy moment on side, also on that short corner he saved VL ass there.

A-man

Overall good but alsonhad some poor moments where especially Vardy got the better of him. Don't know why he didn't even challenge for the header in third minute?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Bar that moment with Vardy in second half he was really good.
And the missed header in the first half. Apparently, it only counts when Lindelof misses a header. It happens to the best of them, though. Really encouraging to see his partnership with Lindelof continue to develop.

Yagami

Good post resistant
BEAST

& Leicester fans were saying Evans and CB #2 were better!

AJ10

And the missed header in the first half. Apparently, it only counts when Lindelof misses a header. It happens to the best of them, though. Really encouraging to see his partnership with Lindelof continue to develop.
Don't remember that but yeah people and their favourites.

ash_86

Great game from Harry. Won every header and kept Vardy in his pocket.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
"feck off Maguire, we don't need you... as we've got Soyuncu" - Leicester fans before kick off
:lol:

Hope those cnuts watched his performance closely today.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Arguably Harry's best game today. No way we win that without him. Rock.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Could have easily had one of those classic shit games against your ex team but showed why we bought him today. Got his head on everything and showed up Soyuncu who Leicester fans have been desperate to claim is better.

The United

I don't think he missed it. He was out of position and didn't go for it.

Well, that's how I remember anyway.

ivaldo

I don't think he missed it. He was out of position and didn't go for it.

Well, that's how I remember anyway.
Same difference, it resulted in him missing it. It happens.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My MotM. We had wank midfield and attack. Thankfully our defence is good.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He scores against us if he's on the other team today. Absolute certainty. Imperious in the air.

ivaldo

He did not miss it.
So he got it then did he?

If you had to get the bus but didn’t run for it, or turned up at the wrong station, does that mean you didn’t miss your bus?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Must have missed this, but I certainly missed him being beaten for a critical header that lead to us conceding like Lindelöf the last 2 games.

The United

So he got it then did he?
By your logic, every of our players missed it then.

Can't get something when you don't try for it.

Plus I am not even sure why you would point this out just to defend the other guy who might have made mistakes in different games. Weird stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.