Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Brendan : "Well done. Always remember, through adversity to the stars. Tell Mr. Woodward if Ole wants to go, I'm ready to be his successor. You will always be my player and now you shall be my jobstreet"
Maguire : "Tsksksksksksk"
Brendan : "Why are you beat boxing?"

Based Adnan

There's a certain amount of calmness and confidence in me whenever he's asked to defend. Been a while since we had a defender like that.

Grande

It has become a trend in CAF. Pick a favourite player and then shit on others. Smalling fans used to do it against Lindelof, now Lindelof fans nitpick everything on Maguire (not everyone, but few do it)
It’s a general effect of comparing our own players and polarising discussions. People are looking for evidence to confirm that they were right in a stance.

It’s the same in the Messi/Ronaldo discussions, you have two players in the same era who are at the level of all time greats, and listening to some, you would think one was a serial loser and the other is a donkey.

The worst example is the ‘Rashford vs Martial’ thread, though. United have two young, exciting prospects growing up beside each other, fantastic isn’t it? No, it’s a disaster because people can’t seem to sort out who is really better than M’Bappe and who is a charlatan stealing a living.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It’s a general effect of comparing our own players and polarising discussions. People are looking for evidence to confirm that they were right in a stance.

It’s the same in the Messi/Ronaldo discussions, you have two players in the same era who are at the level of all time greats, and listening to some, you would think one was a serial loser and the other is a donkey.

The worst example is the ‘Rashford vs Martial’ thread, though. United have two young, exciting prospects growing up beside each other, fantastic isn’t it? No, it’s a disaster because people can’t seem to sort out who is really better than M’Bappe and who is a charlatan stealing a living.
Yeah, I agree. At least that Messi vs Ronaldo is understandable as they played for rival clubs for nearly 10 years so they will always have set of dedicated fans. This shitting on our players to big up other ManUtd players is just something I will never understand.

A-man

08:30- 13:00

I don't think it was a carbon copy. Maguire followed his man who misjudged the flight of the ball himself so they both missed it.

Lindelof lost an aerial duel he was favourite for and the flick on led to a goal.

Maguire's was a mistake still because he should have followed the ball and not the man because it shouldn't be allowed to bounce there.

Carbon copy is of course exaggerating a little, but there are many similarities. In both cases there was a long ball from the goalkeeper. In Lindelof’s case he misjudged, saw him too late or just lost the header, I don’t know. But he had plenty of time to position himself. In Maguire’s case he also had plenty of time, but he didn’t even challenge for it. The result was the same; the ball went through the line to an attacking player. The difference is that Maguire did not cover for Lindelof. Somehow Lindelof got full blame for both situations. There are more situations and they are clearly not judged by the same standards. That was my point. It has nothing to do with me favouring a special player, as I still believe Maguire has been the best player in United so far. But there are so many who are negative towards United’s new defence. In the end, after 5 matches there are no other teams in the PL who have conceded less goals.

I think we take a forensic view of some players and have a blind spot for others. You are right about the comparisons but because there are a few that don't rate Lindelof and a goal came from it, it became the focus. I thought Lindelof was equal to Harry on Saturday but players generally aren't rated, people will always focus on what their mistakes. That said, Harry has brought a quality to Utd and it's now who compliments him best.

I agree with every word. I also believe there is a huge potential for improvement and that United can build one of the best defences in the league.

A-man

Mistakes are also like speeding, its only really a crime if you get caught.

We do go forensic on players now like we didn't in the past though, I'm sure if we started watching back old United games from the glory days we'd pick up on loads of mistakes.

History is written by the winners too so in the event of failure players are going to get taken apart, whereas they'd be given a pass in a successful side and mistakes overlooked.
You're definitely right. And that forensic view also create scapegoats imo, which distract from the real problems.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Watching the “mistake” again, vardy jumps in front of him way before the ball reaches them, so he couldn’t get to the ball and it ended up sailing over both of them.

He didn’t choose to leave it and he couldn’t attack it without fouling. Vardy was no danger in that instance.

The funny thing is Lindelof is actually the one that misreads the bounce and gets sucked under it :lol:

A-man

Watching the “mistake” again, vardy jumps in front of him way before the ball reaches them, so he couldn’t get to the ball and it ended up sailing over both of them.

He didn’t choose to leave it and he couldn’t attack it without fouling. Vardy was no danger in that instance.

The funny thing is Lindelof is actually the one that misreads the bounce and gets sucked under it :lol:
You're quite well illustrating the point where players are measured by different standards. You can't really get more time than Harry got to position yourself and he was facing a tiny person, 26 kg lighter and 15 cm shorter, yet you claim he had no chance whatsoever.

Adam-Utd

You're quite well illustrating the point where players are measured by different standards. You can't really get more time than Harry got to position yourself and he was facing a tiny person, 26 kg lighter and 15 cm shorter, yet you claim he had no chance whatsoever.
Watch the clip again. He's in position ready to head it but Vardy jumps straight infront of him and blocks his flight of the ball - he gets nowhere near it as he's jumped too early and it means they both miss it. Lindelof behind then misjudges the bounce and gets sucked under the ball which means Maddison gets onto it goal side.

Meep

Well, I think Lindelof is fouled. He clearly has "control" over the ball until Maddison pulls his arm and he slips. A bit of a bad body control on Lindelof's part and he should have just kicked the ball away but wants to look good doing it instead of a panic kick. Maddison isn't getting there without the pull of the arm. Maguire should've bossed Vardy but these things happen and you can't read every situation before. Also, why does the ball bounce so high? Looks a bit strange.

A-man

Watch the clip again. He's in position ready to head it but Vardy jumps straight infront of him and blocks his flight of the ball - he gets nowhere near it as he's jumped too early and it means they both miss it. Lindelof behind then misjudges the bounce and gets sucked under the ball which means Maddison gets onto it goal side.
I've seen it and I still think a 100 kg heavy, 194 cm tall, one of the best CBs in the air, long time to position himself, he should win this aerial against a 74 kg 179cm tall player. At least the ball should not be allowed to pass through. It was a poor effort imo but it happens, and it will happen 1-2 times every 10 similar situations. That's why the other CB must cover for him. And I am totally fine with that every CB misses like this sometimes, that was not the point. The point is that very few would have said this was unavoidable if it was Lindelof. Instead people would say he is a disaster in the air.

Adam-Utd

I've seen it and I still think a 100 kg heavy, 194 cm tall, one of the best CBs in the air, long time to position himself, he should win this aerial against a 74 kg 179cm tall player. At least the ball should not be allowed to pass through. It was a poor effort imo but it happens, and it will happen 1-2 times every 10 similar situations. That's why the other CB must cover for him. And I am totally fine with that every CB misses like this sometimes, that was not the point. The point is that very few would have said this was unavoidable if it was Lindelof. Instead people would say he is a disaster in the air.
This is the point though, it wasn't a duel.

Vardy completely fluffed his jump and missed the ball entirely - by doing that he also blocked Maguire's path too. The only way he could head that would be if he went straight through Vardy and fouled him.

A-man

This is the point though, it wasn't a duel.

Vardy completely fluffed his jump and missed the ball entirely - by doing that he also blocked Maguire's path too. The only way he could head that would be if he went straight through Vardy and fouled him.
But seriously, it shouldn't be so easy for a tiny player to get through the ball against Maguire. That the tiny guy just needs to jump a little and Maguire has no chance. No, Maguire had all the time to take a good position. This was a poor effort, simple as that. And your reaction is my point; that the defenders are measured by different standards.

Adam-Utd

But seriously, it shouldn't be so easy for a tiny player to get through the ball against Maguire. That the tiny guy just needs to jump a little and Maguire has no chance. No, Maguire had all the time to take a good position. This was a poor effort, simple as that. And your reaction is my point; that the defenders are measured by different standards.
Sorry I don't agree at all. I genuinely think you need to watch it again as you clearly don't remember exactly what happened.

What do you want Maguire to do, foul him? If he chooses to jump stupidly early and miss the ball what exactly can Maguire do :lol:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I had my doubts over him because his last season at Leicester didn't seem like anything special. So far he has been really good, and looks a class act.

A-man

Sorry I don't agree at all. I genuinely think you need to watch it again as you clearly don't remember exactly what happened.

What do you want Maguire to do, foul him? If he chooses to jump stupidly early and miss the ball what exactly can Maguire do :lol:
He can see the ball long before it comes down and position himself to win the header. Do really think Maguire doesn't have a chance to win a header against a tiny person if the tiny person jumps first? Then it would be very easy for everybody to pass him with longballs.

Adam-Utd

He can see the ball long before it comes down and position himself to win the header. Do really think Maguire doesn't have a chance to win a header against a tiny person if the tiny person jumps first? Then it would be very easy for everybody to pass him with longballs.
We are talking split seconds here. If both he and Vardy jump at the same time, he wins the header. Vardy jumped *EARLY* and completely mistimed the header. He doesn't win it.

Maguire cannot jump over Vardy so instead he leans into him and helps prevent him heading it cleanly. Nobody wins the header.

Why is this difficult for you to understand? If Maguire jumped as early as Vardy did and then missed it - then it would be his mistake.

We are talking split seconds here. If both he and Vardy jump at the same time, he wins the header. Vardy jumped *EARLY* and completely mistimed the header. He doesn't win it.

Maguire cannot jump over Vardy so instead he leans into him and helps prevent him heading it cleanly. Nobody wins the header.

Why is this difficult for you to understand? If Maguire jumped as early as Vardy did and then missed it - then it would be his mistake.
I agree, that's exactly how I saw it.

A-man

As I said, measured by different standards. Of course he should clear that ball but he failed. You even find it IMPOSSIBLE for himnto clear that ball. He should of course not jump too early. He should have the right position and then Vardy should not be able to stop him to head that ball. Do you seriously say this was perfectly executed by Maguire? To let a longball from the other penalty box pass him like that?

Mick1

Some goals are due to individual mistakes, some due to circumstance, luck, team mistakes, attackers quality....
I dnt think Maguire is at fault for the goal as there were too many variables, but the situation could have/would have been handled better had there been better communication between the defenders. Hence the point of a settles defensive partnership

Adam-Utd

I agree, that's exactly how I saw it.
I'm glad somebody has some sense!
As I said, measured by different standards. Of course he should clear that ball but he failed. You even find it IMPOSSIBLE for himnto clear that ball. He should of course not jump too early. He should have the right position and then Vardy should not be able to stop him to head that ball. Do you seriously say this was perfectly executed by Maguire? To let a longball from the other penalty box pass him like that?
Clearly by you yes! Please explain to me how Maguire is supposed to stop Vardy jumping? you want him to hold him down on the floor? :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Clearly by you yes! Please explain to me how Maguire is supposed to stop Vardy jumping? you want him to hold him down on the floor? :lol:
Ironically it was Maguire trying to stop Vardy jumping which caused the problem. Watch at the 30 second mark below. Instead of dealing with a simple aerial ball and heading it up the field, he instead backs into Vardy trying to put him off getting a header instead.

By allowing it to bounce he gambles that Lindelof can deal with it, which he can't do adequately from a compromised position.

Now if the positions were reversed and Lindelof did that, I have little doubt that everyone on the caf and the skysports pundit team would ridicule him for compromising Maguire vs Maddison. They'd say Lindelof lacked awareness to not deal with an aerial ball and was silly to assume there was no leciester player waiting for the bounce in behind.

But alas that wasn't the case. Maguire let it bounce and it was swiftly forgotten.

I agree Vardy jumped too early but its a very winnable header for Maguire and he should have dealt with it rather than trying to put Vardy off. You only do the latter if 1)the other player is an aerial threat to you which Vardy really isn't..or 2) if you're in a worse standing position which Maguire really wasn't.

Last edited:

romufc

We are making too much of these long balls IMO. Yes there are occasions we have defended these poorly like Palace. The difference in this case is that Lindelof tracked Maddison unlike when Lindelof lost the header and no one tracked the runner.

These sort of things happen in football sometimes, it was the only real chance Leicester had. We will improve defensively over the course of the season.

Adam-Utd

Ironically it was Maguire trying to stop Vardy jumping which caused the problem. Watch at the 30 second mark below. Instead of dealing with a simple aerial ball and heading it up the field, he instead backs into Vardy trying to put him off getting a header instead.

By allowing it to bounce he gambles that Lindelof can deal with it, which he can't do adequately from a compromised position.

Now if the positions were reversed and Lindelof did that, I have little doubt that everyone on the caf and the skysports pundit team would ridicule him for compromising Maguire vs Maddison. They'd say Lindelof lacked awareness to not deal with an aerial ball and was silly to assume there was no leciester player waiting for the bounce in behind.

But alas that wasn't the case. Maguire let it bounce and it was swiftly forgotten.

I agree Vardy jumped too early but its a very winnable header for Maguire and he should have dealt with it rather than trying to put Vardy off. You only do the latter if 1)the other player is an aerial threat to you which Vardy really isn't..or 2) if you're in a worse standing position which Maguire really wasn't.
What are you talking about :lol:

The ball is in the air. Maguire is watching the ball.

Vardy JUMPS ACROSS Maguires path way before the ball even reaches their heads. this stops Maguire heading the ball, but Vardy also misses it as he's jumped far too early.

Maguire then leans into Vardy as he's in mid air to try and put him off.

The ball bounces cleanly over both of them. I have no idea where you are getting that from.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What are you talking about :lol:

The ball is in the air. Maguire is watching the ball.

Vardy JUMPS ACROSS Maguires path way before the ball even reaches their heads. this stops Maguire heading the ball, but Vardy also misses it as he's jumped far too early.

Maguire then leans into Vardy as he's in mid air to try and put him off.

The ball bounces cleanly over both of them. I have no idea where you are getting that from.
Vardy coming from across shouldn't stop Maguire shouldering him out and getting that ball. It's a bread and butter header if you will, every top centre back would deal with it by attacking the ball. Rather, Maguire waited for it to drop to his head leaving him compromised versus Vardy (as you said Vardy came in from the side to try and win it).

Vardys ideal scenario is that he wins the header (unlikely) or he puts Maguire off the header and it bounces behind for someone to run into (this happened). Maguire just needed to be strong and see off any premature challenge for the ball, which he didn't really do.

Robbie Boy

Didn’t think he was great for Leicester at all last season and I thought he was far too expensive. Proving me wrong so far and I hope he keeps it up.

A-man

I have explained it several times. Maguire should have the best position from the start. Then it doesn't matter if a tiny guy jumps in front of him.

Now, do you really believe that Maguire is not capable of doing better in that situation? That he has no chance to win the ball against Vardy because of circumstances that are out of his control?

jackal&hyde

Very impressed with him so far. For the first time since the days of Ferdinand and Vidic i have confidence that our Cds (or at least one of them) will have a solid game.

West Ham 2:0 Man Utd

acnumber9

I’m not seeing an £80m improvement on our defence. Him and Lindelof are supposed to be really good playing out from the back? That was the answer to our problems wasn’t it? What a load of shite.

Hammondo

I’m not seeing an £80m improvement on our defence. Him and Lindelof are supposed to be really good playing out from the back? That was the answer to our problems wasn’t it? What a load of shite.
AWB has had a more positive impact on our defence imo.

Ekeke

Leader eh?

So far he's looked like a Leicester CB, fairly good but not notable and obviously not worth the astronomical fee. Slow to react with Yarmalenko today

Status
Not open for further replies.