Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I’m not even going to comment on this guy beyond saying that he’s the most expensive defender of all time :lol:

Classical Mechanic

True.

Looking at the replay, ideally McBurnie was Williams' man. But you can argue they should of rotated and Maguire should of gone on McBurnie realising he was open, but that is split second decisions that he tried to do but wasn't quick enough at it.
But yeah Williams should have been on McBurnie instead.
I've heard these ridiculous arguments about defenders 'swapping' players in the heat of the moment when they are tired at the end of an intense game. I can only assume that these ideas come from an absurd place to try and prove agendas. Defenders need to pick up their men. Fair play though, as you acknowledged that Williams should be marking him. He's doing the classic error of ball watching instead.

koop

Clueless post. You want Maguire to be stood at LB marking a man?
Relax darling. Yes that's what I said, I want Maguire to be LB. Jesus.

You realise he scored the goal from pretty much the penalty spot right? When both of their players are in the same spot Maguire can be marking either one. It's not like he made a blitzing run from the right wing into our box. They were both in the box around the penalty spot for more than 5 seconds before the ball was crossed. I'm not shit talking Maguire but being the more experienced defender and our 'leader' he should of done better there after realising Williams is not on McBurnie. However it was Williams' fault.

I'm not shit talking Maguire but being the more experienced defender and our 'leader' he should of done better there after realising Williams is not on McBurnie. However it was Williams' fault.
You can't have it both ways darling, it was either Williams "fault" or Maguire's, and well, unless you wanted Maguire marking a man at LB during the start of that sequence (you don't), it's William's fault.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think he is a decent CB but Leicester robbed us.
In Austria there is a law that in case you buy something and later it turns out that you paid more than double the worth of what the object of the purchase is really worth you can ask for reversing the deal.

jackal&hyde

I like him and am happy we have him. I do have to say that given what was said and some of his physical qualities, we are not as strong in the air as i thought we would be. I guess i was expecting a Vidic/ VVD type of defender that creates "no fly" zones in the box, but he doesn't seem to have maybe the positioning be dominate like that.

Classical Mechanic

He doesn't react on DeGea save at all with the ball still in play, then goes to close Sheffield player on the 1st post leaving clean header for McGoldrick (Williams can't close that on time imo)... God knows what are both Lindelof and Jones doing tbf

Don't know, he had question marks about his actual defending and they still remain. Will need a WC defender alongside to make him look better and get the most out of him. Which would mean we would need to buy big at CB (again). A far more settled team or the one more on the front foot would also certainly help.

I still like him, think he has some good qualities, but 80 million was insane.
It looks like he's being blamed for Williams mistake here too. You say that he doesn't react but he actually goes and marks a free player on the near post while Williams loses McGoldrick and he gets the header in?

Litch

It's amazing how these players look great but turn to shite once they come here? Anyone thought it might actually be us that's the problem? There's some irony that I hear there's a player called Smalling that looks quite decent in a Roma shirt?

buckooo1978

He's not dominating our box the way we expected - needs to improve his presence

don't want this to turn into a Pogba style issue where we need another player to get the best out of Maguire

Roboc7

I like him and am happy we have him. I do have to say that given what was said and some of his physical qualities, we are not as strong in the air as i thought we would be. I guess i was expecting a Vidic/ VVD type of defender that creates "no fly" zones in the box, but he doesn't seem to have maybe the positioning be dominate like that.
He didn’t look great for Leicester last season, for some reason we decided he was our only option and paid a ridiculous fee for him.

He’s actually performing pretty much as we should expect, this is the player we bought.

Classical Mechanic

don't want this to turn into a Pogba style issue where we need another player to get the best out of Maguire
He pretty much won every single aerial duel he had yesterday, 9 in total, which would be in the very highest bracket for a defender in the PL for a single game. There have been some games where he's struggled with his forward in the air but he completely bossed it yesterday in that regard.

EdinburghDevil

Maguire and AWB are definite upgrades and have done well. The defensive is being exposed by a lack of protection in the midfield and players get a run on the back line.

We all knew Harry wasn't the most mobile, so that's a big problem. Top midfielder beside McT and I'd try Tuanzebe now he's fit beside Maguire.

Himannv

I don't there's any concern regarding his aerial play. He wins headers more often than not and I haven't really seen a problem in that regard. If it's there for him to win, he'll win it more often than not. He can't do much about the balls lofted over the LCB's head in a back 3 as he's covering centrally.

I don't think he needs another player to get the best of him, but he's not two players rolled into one. Lindelof or whoever he's paired with needs to have more presence alongside him as playing central defense means you need to form a partnership or two. When one CB surges forward, the other should cover. This happens to some extent but not to the extent that promotes an ideal pairing. See Vidic and Rio. Both great CBs in their own right, but it's that partnership and understanding that elevated them to what they became.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think he can't do much as there are way too many balls coming in our box.

True that he's not Vidic or Rio, but the guy is not protected at all by his midfielders and Lindelof/Williams/Shaw/Young are not the right complement to him.

Miss Smalling to be honest

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wasn't a fan of his signing in the summer, he's as mobile as an oil tanker and his passing is actually trash
It's definitely not trash, but it certainly isn't at the level that we could've expected. He's also much less creative in terms of his passing than he was at Leicester; at first you could've blamed it in Pogba already doing this job for him, now he has no excuse.

Alfie092

If you ignore his price tag, he has been average at best. However, if you take into consideration his price tag then he has been poor considering the amount of money we paid.

In my opinion, he has improved us defensively but the improvements is marginal at best. Maybe we would see the best out of him with either Bailly or Tuanzebe next to him due to their added mobility and pace that Lindelof doesn't offer?

Going to remain positive that he does come good but his start is a bit of a concern if you ask me.

Mark Pawelek

So we spash £80m on a player that big swinging dicks tell us is the only choice. Despite his weakness (not the fastest, prone to mistakes from time to time). Then we play him without any defensive midfield cover. No Ndiddi. Shazzam: We discover he's not as perfect as his fans said he was. Welcome to Soccer 101. That's your first lesson.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I never thought he was worth £80m, but whatever, he was still worth getting I guess because he was a (marginal upgrade) on what we had. I think he's showing that he's far from the great defender that some on here would've led you to believe he was. He's a good defender, that's about it.

But letting Smalling go and then still having to play Rojo and Jones was an unbelievably thick decision by Ole.

A-man

He pretty much won every single aerial duel he had yesterday, 9 in total, which would be in the very highest bracket for a defender in the PL for a single game. There have been some games where he's struggled with his forward in the air but he completely bossed it yesterday in that regard.
There are things to complain about, but I don’t think we can expect better aerial dominance than yesterday.

I don't there's any concern regarding his aerial play. He wins headers more often than not and I haven't really seen a problem in that regard. If it's there for him to win, he'll win it more often than not. He can't do much about the balls lofted over the LCB's head in a back 3 as he's covering centrally.

I don't think he needs another player to get the best of him, but he's not two players rolled into one. Lindelof or whoever he's paired with needs to have more presence alongside him as playing central defense means you need to form a partnership or two. When one CB surges forward, the other should cover. This happens to some extent but not to the extent that promotes an ideal pairing. See Vidic and Rio. Both great CBs in their own right, but it's that partnership and understanding that elevated them to what they became.
When playing 2 at the back, I think Lindelof covering for Maguire has worked very well. But when three at the back, there hasn’t been anyone covering for Maguire when he moves forward. The central CB, Maguire, is often the last man which takes away some of his best talents.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I never thought he was worth £80m, but whatever, he was still worth getting I guess because he was a (marginal upgrade) on what we had. I think he's showing that he's far from the great defender that some on here would've led you to believe he was. He's a good defender, that's about it.

But letting Smalling go and then still having to play Rojo and Jones was an unbelievably thick decision by Ole.
Exactly my view. I never wanted us to go all out for him at first but when we did I figured feck it a marginal upgrade is still an upgrade and we'll get to see less of Jones, Rojo etc. But then we go and refuse to try a partnership with our two best most balanced defenders. Signing makes no sense once we still keep playing Jones, Bailly, Rojo, while Lindelof's future is still up for review as well. We're basically in the same situation as before where one defender has to do most of the work, and so far I don't see Maguire doing better than Smalling in that environment.

M16Red

Van Dijk
Koulibably
Varane
Sergio Ramos
De Ligt
Lucas Hernandez
Vertonghen
Sule
Konate
Upamecano
laporte
Skriniar
I might even put Tuanzebe and Tomori in there because they have bright futures and tons of potential as well as those Leipzig defenders.
"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it's a better cow than the one you've got in your own field," Ferguson told reporters after the game. "It's a fact. Right? And it never really works out that way."

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
"Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow and you think it's a better cow than the one you've got in your own field," Ferguson told reporters after the game. "It's a fact. Right? And it never really works out that way."
“Maguire is a good Cow but not the most expensive cow. I believe some people with great insight into cow culture will be able to see which cow are better than others.” Amadaeus told reporters after the game. “I believe that how it works.”

M16Red

“Maguire is a good Cow but not the most expensive cow. I believe some people with great insight into cow culture will be able to see which cow are better than others.” Amadaeus told reporters after the game. “I believe that how it works.”
All depends on the cows in the field with them. Thank you .

Hester_manc

Every time I watch Maguire play, I fear, that he will get injured. We are ahead of the busy Christmas program with a lot of matches, and I fear we have already used him too much. I really hope, that he is allowed to stay at home against Astana.

Incidentally, I feared the same for McTominay. In my opinion, the two have evolved into decidedly indispensable for the team.

dbs235

We'd be much worse without him. He's being judged too harshly because of his price tag. Would be interesting to see him and Smalling paired.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think he is a decent CB but Leicester robbed us.
In Austria there is a law that in case you buy something and later it turns out that you paid more than double the worth of what the object of the purchase is really worth you can ask for reversing the deal.
Just curious, how do they 'prove' what something is worth in Austria? Isn't worth partially subjective?

DoomSlayer

:lol: This actually made me laugh out loud, thanks for that.

Robbie Boy

I honestly never, ever rated him whatsoever. So what we've seen from him is pretty much what I expected. I never understood the hype on here and the bizarre comparisons with VVD. He's a decent enough player, that's about it really. Leicester got a whole whack of money from us and they look better defensively without him. Given what he cost, I really hope he can drastically improve and become an important player for the foreseeable future.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Him and Lindelof isn't a great pairing I don't think. Too similar.
Most people would have known that from the start, it made no sense what so ever, you don't partner Maguire with another CB that lacks pace and can't cover him

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This transfer and the Coutinho one to Barca is one of those very rare times that makes me feel I know more about football than some top execs at clubs.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Just curious, how do they 'prove' what something is worth in Austria? Isn't worth partially subjective?
I am not an expert but I know a case where somebody sold an inherited property for something like 50 EUR per square meter and later realized that the normal going rate in that region would be 200+ so the deal has been judged being invalid.

Can be found in Austrian law at ABGB $ 934.

Btw that was of course exaggeration from my side. While I think we massively overpaid we are a bit better at the back with Maguire than before.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Last season after 13 matches in the PL we had conceded 19 goals and so far we have conceded 15 goals. Maguire is a good player without a doubt, never worth the ridiculous we spent on him, I'll always think that AWB was the truly necessary purchase for the backline and the rest should have been focused on midfield, specially after losing Herrera and Fellaini

Status
Not open for further replies.