Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

I actually Lindelof is every bits as good if not better than him. I wasn’t expecting a huge upgrade when we bought him as had seen him play a lot and knew he was nothing special but was expecting more than this.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Needs to be a lot more urgent especially given he's the captain

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not basing this on today's game, but I really don't understand why we paid the fee we paid for him. His defending is good, not the best, passing is good, not great. He's good at everything and great at nothing. For the money we paid, we should be getting so much more out of him. Can't help but feel disappointed. I feel like we still another CB and we have already wasted more than enough money there now.

I know our deliveries are shit but if Maguire had been wearing a Leicester shirt he would've slammed one of those headers in instead of whiffing. Weird voodoo goes on when we sign usual set piece threats

Andersons Dietician

Really surprised he never got on the end of that Fred free kick but I quite liked that he decided around the 70th minute to really push forward taking massive risks. Felt like Shaw and Fred did a great job covering him allowing him to do that but feel like he really needs a goal of some sort. Hip, knee just end up in the back of the net somehow.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Just dropping in for a Maguire update.

I don’t think you’re seeing an improved to what we got at Leicester last year. We’d genuinely come to the conclusion that it was a lot of hype from the World Cup. He’s decent, however he’s not an elite level centre back. He’s also not a leader.

Ekeke

I don’t think you’re seeing an improved to what we got at Leicester last year. We’d genuinely come to the conclusion that it was a lot of hype from the World Cup. He’s decent, however he’s not an elite level centre back. He’s also not a leader.
Sang this tune for years, but was drowned out by the song and dance of him being "our VVD"

Thought he was decent today, not great but did his part

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Unjustified hype really considering he's never been THAT good for England

RedIan

He was decent but i just wish he would encourage a faster build up from the back. It was so slow today and it seems to spread lethargy through the team

A-man

Good defence from him today but missed a great opportunity or two to score.

Paul_Scholes18

I think he is very average. Didn't have much to do in terms of defending, but his passing was very poor. Smallings passing is equally good as this although Maguire normally does it better.

Cloud7

I was never the biggest fan of Smalling, but he did have his merits. Has Maguire actually been an upgrade on him?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Smalling is comfortably better defensively. Maguire is comfortably better on the ball.

Maguire probably should have been seen as the upgrade on Lindelof and partnered Smalling, not the Smalling upgrade.
Can't say I disagree with this.

SambaBoy

He's solid defensively compared to what we have had in recent years but he's not elite. The amount of times he tries to play it over the top and over/underhits it is frustrating. Saying that, I did like that he pushed forward more when we were chasing a winner.

Felt he should have had a few goals by now, seems to not fully go for the attacking set pieces. The free kick from Fred being an example today.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Has become a square ball merchant. Where's the 60 yard defence splitters he was hitting at Leicester, and for that matter what's up with him at corners, defending or attacking he can't get his head on one. Same height as VVD but you wouldn't think it. We've been mugged again with a 20 million quid journeyman bought for 80.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

Has become a square ball merchant. Where's the 60 yard defence splitters he was hitting at Leicester, and for that matter what's up with him at corners, defending or attacking he can't get his head on one. Same height as VVD but you wouldn't think it. We've been mugged again with a 20 million quid journeyman bought for 80.
Because there is a small difference in mobility between him and VVD. For Maguire to be effective on Corners, you would basically have to make him run in "blind" on the towards the first post and then hit a small target area with a top spin corner.

Keefy18

I said it in the summer here and on my own United forum, Maguire is average.

We'd of been just as well to keep Smalldini.

The only aspect where Maguire is better than Smalling is in his passing. That aside almost every other defensive metric Smalling was as good as or better than Maguire over the previous 2 seasons.

Hammondo

I do not blame him for this problem, I blame the fans. The United fans for the 45978345093th over-hype a player after a good period where a player looks better than average. Continually acting like kids at the sight of anything they think shows someone is a good player.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
He's a really good player, I just wish we'd bought him directly from Sheff Utd or Hull as £80m was always going to be a bit overpriced.

Denis79

I thought he was good yesterday, love how he carries the ball forward pushing up the team. He does it often as well. When Smalling and Lindelof played we would constantly pass sideways at the back until we got pressed and stressed ending up hoofing the ball forward without a designated destination.

Robbie Boy

He's above average, that's the best I can say about him. We were absolutely taken to the cleaners paying £80m for him and making him the most expensive defender of all time, which is just insanity.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s become very good at letting a ball go just over his head when attacking

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I do not blame him for this problem, I blame the fans. The United fans for the 45978345093th over-hype a player after a good period where a player looks better than average. Continually acting like kids at the sight of anything they think shows someone is a good player.
No one here was overhyping him though. Everyone said it’s too much and he’s not an 80m player but we need it so we have to pay both English and United tax.

I think he’s done pretty much as expected, apart from not being good enough on attacking headers. Very good sometimes, meh others.

Sylar

The one good thing for him is that the last three goals weve conceded are all avoidable (but wouldnt really put it down to him).
2 corners and that Dele goal from Young rushing out like an idiot.

Given hes only 26, I do hope theres so much more to get from him. Both in a defending and attacking sense.

Hammondo

No one here was overhyping him though. Everyone said it’s too much and he’s not an 80m player but we need it so we have to pay both English and United tax.

I think he’s done pretty much as expected, apart from not being good enough on attacking headers. Very good sometimes, meh others.
When we were bidding for him he was compared to VVD and people were saying he is United VVD. Do not talk crap saying no one over-hyped him, hes was massively over-hyped.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
When we were bidding for him he was compared to VVD and people were saying he is United VVD. Do not talk crap saying no one over-hyped him, hes was massively over-hyped.
No they weren’t :lol:
And if anyone did you’re choosing to look at that instead of the masses saying otherwise.
Get back in your box.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Second best centre back in the league, apparently not an upgrade on Smalling.

This site sometimes....

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know that he can't cover all penalty box when oppo have corner kick but i expected that he will clear more of those crosses. Maybe Ole is putting him on wrong position during corner kicks? I don't know, just my feeling.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No they weren’t :lol:
And if anyone did you’re choosing to look at that instead of the masses saying otherwise.
Get back in your box.
He was a over hyped by a lot of people but he was also properly rated by a lot and probably underrated too. That's kind of the case for all players.

Status
Not open for further replies.