Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Hes just not world class and never will be. We payed 40m too much for him.

I don't get why we decided to make him captain, what qualifies him exactly? When they signed him they talked about him being a leader but he shown nothing of the sort. I guess the idea of him being our next Steve Bruce type figure was a nice one for Ole so dropped a world record fee for a more refined Phil Jones and gave him the armband after 4 months.

It's a joke.
Who else is gonna be captain in that bunch?

Stadjer

Who would have been the other options to be captain?

De Gea is a keeper and not really the type. He didnt even protest at the ref when he was fouled against Everton for example... not the best option for a captain i think.

Pogba has been injured, might leave and with the whole image around him he also isnt a good option.

Matic/Mata are old and experienced but arent likely a part of the near future. Dont really see them as captain options.

Maguire has the right age, likely part of the future, English, player of the national team and actually plays all games. It might be quick but in this squad there was hardly a better option to be the captain. Besides that... it is just an armband. Does it really matter that much?

If Phil Jones wasnt a perma-crock and actually developed and turned into something close to what Ferguson thought he would have become since he joined Manchester United, he would have been captain by now i think.

Devil may care

He's been overplayed and now shoehorned into the captaincy, I think he's being asked to be more than he actually is and it's a lot to carry in his first season, especially at a time when we are in a mess as a club.

Eddy_JukeZ

Our captain and the most expensive defender ever.

We are truly a meme club under Woodward and co.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He absolutely dominated Van Dijk in the second half after Ole took his thumb out of his arse in the half-time zonal marking tactical change. What use was it sticking to the zonal plan in the first half when Van Dijk purposely started his run 3-4 meters away from Maguire's zone each time? The second half Ole put him on him one-on-one and you saw him win those headers.

Kostov

He was ok today, not his fault for the VVD goal. I mean what kind of manager puts, Fred/Williams to mark VVD and expect anything other than that? He defended on the front foot, and paid the price once when he was sold a dummy by Wijnaldum I think it was. He should be playing alongside a more athletic partner, Bailly, Tuanzebe or Smalling would be a better fit alongside.

Classical Mechanic

He was ok today, not his fault for the VVD goal. I mean what kind of manager puts, Fred/Williams to mark VVD and expect anything other than that? He defended on the front foot, and paid the price once when he was sold a dummy by Wijnaldum I think it was. He should be playing alongside a more athletic partner, Bailly, Tuanzebe or Smalling would be a better fit alongside.
Think we need a pacey centre back because both Maguire and Lindelof get exposed in that regard when higher up the pitch. It doesn't feel like they compliment each other all that well.

mancan92

Average player with really average ability in every facet of the game. Watching him vs VVD is like watching a premier league player vs a championship player.

Ekeke

Like I said in the summer he's more of a £50 million CB. He's okay, but nowhere near players like VVD and he defends worse than Smalling

Kostov

Don't understand the criticism towards Maguire honestly. He's easily our best CB, very solid in most aspects of defending playing alongside a partner who by all accounts is soft as a tissue, in front of a midfield who has zero control of games and defensively is easily opened.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Really unique player to comment. He doesn't have ups and downs. His every game is basically on same level. Between 6 and 7. Is he a flop? No. Will he do mistakes during the game? No. Is he doing something special in defence and showing class? Hell no. He does basics well but that is it. For 20 mil i would say that he is good signing. But for 80 mil it is just another ridiculous transfer by us. Proof that sometimes owners/CEO should not back their manager.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't understand the criticism towards Maguire honestly. He's easily our best CB, very solid in most aspects of defending playing alongside a partner who by all accounts is soft as a tissue, in front of a midfield who has zero control of games and defensively is easily opened.
That doesn't mean much though. He was at fault for the first goal, and Winjauldum made a meme out of him in the second half.

He is an okay player, who in best case, should be the second-best CB of a club who aims for titles (ideally a third choice CB). Essentially, a Wes Brown type of player, but for whatever reasons we paid 80m for him and made him captain. Shows how much we have fallen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People that blame Maguire for the 1st goal have either never played football or just don't understand set pieces.

1. We are using zonal marking, which means each player has a held position, and they will attack the ball when it comes close.

2. Fred and Williams were not man marking Van Dijk, they were supposed to block him and slow him down so he couldn't reach the ball. That failed.

3. Maguire was not man marking Van Dijk like many suggested. He was guarding his zone. The ball entered close to Maguires zone so he went to attack it, but then got held back to Gomez. Van Dijk then got a running jump, and being 6'5 towered over all our defenders for an easy header. Maguire tried to get there, but the pitfalls of zonal marking pretty much guarantees anybody with a run up gets an advantage.

The tactics are totally to blame, not one individual. We need to stop using zonal marking ASAP, as ever since we've switched to it our defending set pieces have got a lot worse.

We should have allowed Maguire to man mark Van Dijk properly.

Hulme91

Some serious agenda posting in regards to Maguire at the minute
See a fair proportion of posters blaming him for the 1st goal as a prime example

A-man

People that blame Maguire for the 1st goal have either never played football or just don't understand set pieces.

1. We are using zonal marking, which means each player has a held position, and they will attack the ball when it comes close.

2. Fred and Williams were not man marking Van Dijk, they were supposed to block him and slow him down so he couldn't reach the ball. That failed.

3. Maguire was not man marking Van Dijk like many suggested. He was guarding his zone. The ball entered close to Maguires zone so he went to attack it, but then got held back to Gomez. Van Dijk then got a running jump, and being 6'5 towered over all our defenders for an easy header. Maguire tried to get there, but the pitfalls of zonal marking pretty much guarantees anybody with a run up gets an advantage.

The tactics are totally to blame, not one individual. We need to stop using zonal marking ASAP, as ever since we've switched to it our defending set pieces have got a lot worse.

We should have allowed Maguire to man mark Van Dijk properly.
Fully agree. And its not the first time. We saw the same when Otamendi scored on a corner for example. Williams or AWB are not capable to stop runs like this and Maguire has a too big disadvantage in the aerial against a VvD with speed. In this case it is even more stupid imo as VvD provides the biggest corner threat possible.

Adam-Utd

Fully agree. And its not the first time. We saw the same when Otamendi scored on a corner for example. Williams or AWB are not capable to stop runs like this and Maguire has a too big disadvantage in the aerial against a VvD with speed. In this case it is even more stupid imo as VvD provides the biggest corner threat possible.
Exactly, as you say the Otamendi goal was a perfect example. He's not even big but with a running jump you'll always win with momentum and being brave. I can't believe we didn't change the system after that frankly.

Van Dijk is probably the best in the air in the league, and we let him stroll into the box like he was on the training ground :lol: pathetic.

Sylar

Think we need a pacey centre back because both Maguire and Lindelof get exposed in that regard when higher up the pitch. It doesn't feel like they compliment each other all that well.
Maguire / Tuanzebe needs to be tried asap. I think it looks like that will be a complimentary partnership.

A-man

Exactly, as you say the Otamendi goal was a perfect example. He's not even big but with a running jump you'll always win with momentum and being brave. I can't believe we didn't change the system after that frankly.

Van Dijk is probably the best in the air in the league, and we let him stroll into the box like he was on the training ground :lol: pathetic.
What makes me extra angry is that the corner goal was the winning goal. Don’t get me wrong, I think Liverpool deserved to win, but reality is that up until the last minute it was still a match where United could get away with a point.
They must improve on corners. Simple as that.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah it was terrible. We know they are brilliat at set pieces with TAA and Van Dijk mainly. So then you need to put one of your best defenders on Van Dijk to stop him.
Could do zonal marking with the rest, but make sure you cover the biggest threat with someone capable of stopping him.

Adam-Utd

What makes me extra angry is that the corner goal was the winning goal. Don’t get me wrong, I think Liverpool deserved to win, but reality is that up until the last minute it was still a match where United could get away with a point.
They must improve on corners. Simple as that.
Yep. We were doing really well before that point, corners are such a weakness or us I genuinely feel like we will concede every time an opponent gets one. I feel like we only have 1 player (Maguire) that actually wants to head the ball.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tactic is just a guidance. Zonal marking or not, a good defender could smell danger from their Best Attacking defender.

You have 4-4-2, it doesn't mean the midfield has to stick in middle 4 and can't go forward when opportunity arise. It's just silly.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Tactic is just a guidance. Zonal marking or not, a good defender could smell danger from their Best Attacking defender.

You have 4-4-2, it doesn't mean the midfield has to stick in middle 4 and can't go forward when opportunity arise. It's just silly.
Normally I would agree but with zonal defending, it becomes difficult to do that as they had overloaded that area and in the end it was Maguire vs 2-3 Liverpool player. Then it becomes the question of whether to leave your position and allow players already in that area to get an advantage. That's why Zonal defending sucks if not everyone in your team is on the same page. I remember Benitez used to employ this at Liverpool and we used to take advantage of this every single time we played against Liverpool.

What he should have done was to shrug the player who was holding him to get the referee attention.

I feel like he's becoming a bit of a scapegoat much like Fred. Give him time to settle. He fits in well and he'll come good eventually. United isn't the easiest team to settle in at the moment. Not sure if the Maguire and Lindelöf partnership is solid enough however.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Normally I would agree but with zonal defending, it becomes difficult to do that as they had overloaded that area and in the end it was Maguire vs 2-3 Liverpool player. Then it becomes the question of whether to leave your position and allow players already in that area to get an advantage. That's why Zonal defending sucks if not everyone in your team is on the same page. I remember Benitez used to employ this at Liverpool and we used to take advantage of this every single time we played against Liverpool.

What he should have done was to shrug the player who was holding him to get the referee attention.
There was only one best header on the whole Liverpool team, though.

romufc

I feel like he's becoming a bit of a scapegoat much like Fred. Give him time to settle. He fits in well and he'll come good eventually. United isn't the easiest team to settle in at the moment. Not sure if the Maguire and Lindelöf partnership is solid enough however.
He has played every PL game for us, starts carabao cup games too and FA cup games.

After a hectic period, he has a niggle, people don't expect him to be fully fit and firing do they?

Him and AWB clearly tired and in dire need of a rest.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I rate him at around 50-60m back in the summer. Yes we did overpaid him bit.
Half way through the season, I currently rate him at around 40-50m. Can't say he is flop, but just slightly disappointed, as he is not as good as I thought he would be. He is still decent though.

zenith

It's fashionable to shit on Maguire these days and hold that 80 million tag against him. There is no way he was at fault for the first goal and put in a decent shift game after game.

Sure he's no VVD but still is our best CB of the past several years. Consider how much money we have wasted on the likes of Rojo and baily, even Lindelof to a certain extent and things and that should put into perspective why we needed him so bad.

romufc

It's fashionable to shit on Maguire these days and hold that 80 million tag against him. There is no way he was at fault for the first goal and put in a decent shift game after game.

Sure he's no VVD but still is our best CB of the past several years. Consider how much money we have wasted on the likes of Rojo and baily, even Lindelof to a certain extent and things and that should put into perspective why we needed him so bad.
This is because he plays for Manutd. If you have a look at Kepa at Chelsea being the most expensive keeper, he has probably been worse than Maguire has in terms of performance.

I know one is a keeper and one a CB, but Kepa gets no criticism compared to any of Manutd signings.

There is a finer microscope used when it comes to judging Manutd players.

romufc

Tipping him to be the next one out injured long term because he was supposed to be out for weeks and he still played and looked poor.
We can blame Maguire for a poor performance but try playing a intense game like Liverpool when you are not 100% fit, you will be found out.

romufc

Absolutely. Telegraph says he's playing through a small muscle tear. That's not on Maguire. That's on Ole and the coaching staff and the absolute inability of the other defenders to stay fit.
Yet most fans on here are going on about his fee and performances. The reason he is playing is because him at 80% fitness is still much better than any alternative we have.

Haddock

Yet most fans on here are going on about his fee and performances. The reason he is playing is because him at 80% fitness is still much better than any alternative we have.
I am one of those that thinks we were rinsed on his fee. But he didn't decide that. Woodward did. At any rate he's not shite just not Chiellini. Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice if we could actually spend proportionate amounts for players for once. Maguire is the best centre half we have.

romufc

I am one of those that thinks we were rinsed on his fee. But he didn't decide that. Woodward did. At any rate he's not shite just not Chiellini. Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice if we could actually spend proportionate amounts for players for once. Maguire is the best centre half we have.
I think anyone in football will tell you we probably overpaid by £20m for him at least. However; we needed him and we got him.

I fear that we only got him because the Lukaku deal was agreed.

We are becoming an Arsenal in the transfer window.

Adam-Utd

Yes, but who cares? loads of clubs have over spent before, It's that or don't get the player.

At the time we obviously felt we needed Maguire - I still feel he was worth it but I think we made an error getting rid of Smalling and not Rojo/Jones instead.

Haddock

Yes, but who cares? loads of clubs have over spent before, It's that or don't get the player.

At the time we obviously felt we needed Maguire - I still feel he was worth it but I think we made an error getting rid of Smalling and not Rojo/Jones instead.
That's not true. No club overpays like Manchester United. That extra 20m or whatever could have freed up funds for another player and it isn't like Maguire is John Terry. The club couldn't find one solitary defender who was cheaper? Everyone knows City have money. How is it that they never get rinsed on players? How do they go around buying quality like Laporte and De Bruyne for £55m while we buy forwards who can't trap a ball, centre halves with no pace and fullbacks who can't cross for upwards of £50m?

Anyway, Maguire is ours now and I'll back him.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I’ve defended him for a long long time, but he was diabolical tonight.

Raven

Lindelof usually gets all the blame, but this fella is stealing a fecking living off us. Jones was miles better than him today.

Status
Not open for further replies.