Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As I expected he's nothing special. Just a decent/good CB who we somehow managed to pay 80 million for.. becuase British is best.

Another two goals he's involved in. Don't know what to say tbh. 130/140 million spent and our defence is still poor, somehow.

amolbhatia50k

He really was never that good but the header at the world cup skewed opinions on him massively he was overrated as feck since then.

I cannot believe we sanctioned £80m on a non injury prone Jones because of this idea that he will be a leader for some reason. We would have been much better off keeping Smalling and spending the money on some midfielders instead of this lump.

4 months of just ok performances = Manchester United captain ffs
Bingo. Many of us felt that this was unecessary even when Mourinho wanted him given the fees quoted. And then we went on and signed him anyway due to Ole rating him highly. For me I've not seen anything to suggest he's better at actual defending than Smalling. Not yet anyway.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's been quite disappointing. I knew we overpaid and I wasn't expecting van Dijk level of changes to our defense or more goals from our defenders (he's not that good historically at scoring headers and our delivery is still poor) but I at least did not expect our defense getting worse considering AWB has been a defensive improvement at right back. Some of it is also on De Gea but Maguire-Lindelöf partnership has cost us a fair number of goals.

justboy68

I'm sorry guys I just can't get over the fee. I know I should but I can't. 80 million is so much money that in the real world could go a hell of a long way. Then you see that from United it buys you a bog standard centre half, it's just depressing to me.

amolbhatia50k

I'm sorry guys I just can't get over the fee. I know I should but I can't. 80 million is so much money that in the real world could go a hell of a long way. Then you see that from United it buys you a bog standard centre half, it's just depressing to me.
Yeah it's just a big waste of money. You expect one of the best talents in the role for that fee. I didn't think this was a good idea when Jose wanted him, got behind it when Ole too was keen on him and while he can definitely come good, it's just a very uninspiring signing which is the last thing an 80 million pound man should be.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Maguire haters out in force... sleeping for first goal yes...but why are fans always blaming individuals who have an off game or make a mistake? Lingard one week, then Pereira, then shaw, then lindelof, now maguire
Had we won no one would say owt.

Bottom line is the club is a mess, total mess, no quality in midfield, no flair players, no creativity and sadly for OGS no style of play or any encouraging signs. He looks lost and he may even walk.. i feel.for james, mason.and brandon such good prospects but there is no quality experience around them.
But we didn't and his mistake contributed to the defeat, wtf :lol::lol::lol: Besides you know feck all about the caf if you think no one would have said anything :lol:

You have to give him time.

Maybe an extra second or so to react and another second if he has to chase someone.
:lol:

Web of Bissaka

He's a good upgrade on Lindelof (and Jones).

Comparison v Smalling
Better footballer? Arguably yes.
Better defender? No.

Lind and Smalling have good stable partnership.
No reason why Mag and Smalling can be better.
Oh well ship sailed.

Ibi Dreams

Spending £80m on replacing Smalling with him really looks like one of our dumbest ever moves

I dare say we'd have conceded fewer goals with Smalling instead of him

Devil may care

Yeah it's just a big waste of money. You expect one of the best talents in the role for that fee. I didn't think this was a good idea when Jose wanted him, got behind it when Ole too was keen on him and while he can definitely come good, it's just a very uninspiring signing which is the last thing an 80 million pound man should be.
The fee is the issue, and now the fact we are trying to make him into Captain Marvel I think it's a effecting him a bit, it's a lot of pressure at a time where the team isn't doing well and the club is getting ripped in the media every day. He's a good CB but the fact we are building our defense around him is crazy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His awareness is awful. Played the player onside and this is something he does every game. First goal is entirely in him and Jones for making that dumb challenge.

ISMAIL-007

His start to his Captaincy regime couldn't be more uninspiring, 2 Games, 2 losses, 2 Goals conceded in each game, 0 Goal scored, who's next?

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
You’re seeing the Harry Maguire that we say after the World Cup. He wasn’t brilliant last season. Johnny Evans was the better defender.

norm87cro

You’re seeing the Harry Maguire that we say after the World Cup. He wasn’t brilliant last season. Johnny Evans was the better defender.
You honestly mean that? Please explain. I'm not having a dig at you I geniunely want to know what you think about it. Both players played for both our teams and I can't say I agree. Aldo I rate Evans higher than Lindelof and Smalling.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's all over the place at the minute. He's better than he's showing but hes not playing with any sort of confidence

Roboc7

When Jose wanted to buy him, we asked how much Maguire would cost and got quoted 60m. We did what we should have done, what every club in world would have done and walked away because he wasn’t worth it. A year later we made him most expensive defender of all time, shows just how messed up this club is.

Treble

Said at the start of the season, maybe in this very thread, Maguire is the Lukaku version at CB: good player but not great.

Still, he isn't guilty we were daft to pay so much money. He's a good player, still top 5 among the CBs in the league.

A-man

Think this was one of his worst matches for United. Neither him nor Jones covered at all behind Matić for the first goal which happened too easy. When it comes to ball handling, he did ok under pressure at the start of the match, but when Burnley improved their press play, him and also the rest at the back couldn’t handle the press and took many wrong decisions.
Looks like he either needs a rest, or is not yet fully fit from the injury

R'hllor

Hope he improves with some work on training ground, otherwise this could turn into proper shitshow of transfer.

Skills

Snitch
When Jose wanted to buy him, we asked how much Maguire would cost and got quoted 60m. We did what we should have done, what every club in world would have done and walked away because he wasn’t worth it. A year later we made him most expensive defender of all time, shows just how messed up this club is.
The problem was when the board actually did the sensible thing and walked away from that deal the media and fanbase hammered them for not 'backing the manager'. So when they were in the same position the next year and the next manager is foolish enough to want the same bloke, they were stuck in a no-win situation

Treble

Similarly to how Fred is coming good now, Maguire will come good. Fans are often too impatient, transfer fee doesn't help either. City wanted him, just like they wanted Fred, there is a very good player in there.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Similarly to how Fred is coming good now, Maguire will come good. Fans are often too impatient, transfer fee doesn't help either. City wanted him, just like they wanted Fred, there is a very good player in there.
He may well come good but a) he doesn't have the excuse of it being a new league and b) it does not excuse him being crap now and doing brainless things often.

Treble

He may well come good but a) he doesn't have the excuse of it being a new league and b) it does not excuse him being crap now and doing brainless things often.
I understand the frustration, I just try to take a long-term perspective. We should factor in that Maguire has already played a lot of minutes this season, his presence was completely unnecessary in some games. This is on the manager.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It’s not surprising that SL want to try and ream United for a bit more when they look at this transfer. Talk about having your pants pulled down. He’s decent but nowhere near that valuation. It showed how desperate United are.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It’s not surprising that SL want to try and ream United for a bit more when they look at this transfer. Talk about having your pants pulled down. He’s decent but nowhere near that valuation. It showed how desperate United are.
Yep... And we wonder why prices get inflated for us.

I still for the life of me can't understand what happened with our scouting this summer. Why did Harry Maguire become the only centre back in world football? Why did the same thing also happen for Man City? Are Manchester based scouts unable to leave the Midlands?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I remember people keep saying back then we bought Maguire for 80m because there is no good choice available in the market, and Maguire is the best we could have got anyway.

I mean, really? Best we could have got? World record fee for this kind of performance? I’d rather keep Smalling and spend 80m on somewhere else.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I remember people keep saying back then we bought Maguire for 80m because there is no good choice available in the market, and Maguire is the best we could have got anyway.

I mean, really? Best we could have got? World record fee for this kind of performance? I’d rather keep Smalling and spend 80m on somewhere else.
Exactly. We didn’t even need a centre back - we already had six (!!) of them at the club.

Mailo

We got raped by Leicester. Nothing player. Smalling miles better. Didn't elevate anything for the club.

romufc

I'm sorry, but this just isn't true. Kepa is regularly called one of the worst GKs in the league. He has conceded more goals than xG suggests he should, and he has one of the worst save percentages in the top 7 leagues. He's (rightfully) criticized much more than Maguire, let alone "any of Manutd signings".
I guess Pepe is criticised the same as Maguire then?

slored1

He's so painfully average. Worst 80 million we've ever spent on anyone.

Conor

We really need a pacey CB beside him, we've become seriously susceptible to long balls over the top.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I guess Pepe is criticised the same as Maguire then?
Apart from the obvious difference in Pepe not being our player, go to his thread and see how much shit he's been getting on here. Now, he actually is new to the league whereas this turd of ours is not.

Robbie Boy

Bizarre so many used to make out that he's brilliant. He's not, never has been and never will be. I hated that we signed him but he's been even worse than I expected. This guy is our fecking captain.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we had Smalling and Maguire at CB we'd have a) more pace b) be better in the air.

Incredible stupidity putting faith in Lindelof. He's better on the ball than Smalling but worse at everything else.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
You honestly mean that? Please explain. I'm not having a dig at you I geniunely want to know what you think about it. Both players played for both our teams and I can't say I agree. Aldo I rate Evans higher than Lindelof and Smalling.
Unfortunately, I do.

In his first season with us, pre World Cup, he looked solid and a solid replacement for Robert Huth / Wes Morgan. Both who were deemed to be getting on a bit at that point. He was different in that he’d bring the ball out from the back and play football.

He joined us when we were still fairy rigid in a defensive shape, with a back four that invite crosses into the box, for us to then head clear and us picking up the 2nd ball, then counter attacking. He looked really good in this system.

When Claude Puel started to change the style of play, he became more exposed, as we were not playing as deep. His runs up the field left massive gaps, which when turned over would give us headaches, as Morgan / Evans became exposed, as they aren’t the quickest either.

Maguire isn’t a leader from what I’ve seen. Morgan was never a great leader and if you at our great escape season, it took Huth coming in to organise that defence. We saw similar traits with Evans when he started to play in that he just organises the team better.

I do think Evans has got better with age, coupled with being injured less frequently. He had a fairly torrid last season with you and was shipped out.

It’s about styles. More than one way of skinning a cat. If you allow space around Maguire, he’ll get skinned 7 times out of 10.

You play a compact style with a player next to him that organises that back line, he’d be great. AWB could play that system. Not sure on your other players.

lsd

The Oracle
If we had Smalling and Maguire at CB we'd have a) more pace b) be better in the air.

Incredible stupidity putting faith in Lindelof. He's better on the ball than Smalling but worse at everything else.

If we had Smalling and not Maguire we would be better

Status
Not open for further replies.