6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time when he fecks up solution is to kick Lindelof out because Maguire is slow. Ok, i respect your opinion but best solution would be (which will never happen i know) to sell Maguire for 60-70 mil and buy new defender who is not that slow.
But we’re not gonna sell him, he’s the captain so his name is first on the team sheet, so what other options are there?

binary bot
Every time when he fecks up solution is to kick Lindelof out because Maguire is slow. Ok, i respect your opinion but best solution would be (which will never happen i know) to sell Maguire for 60-70 mil and buy new defender who is not that slow.
He's comically slow but both Lindelof and Maguire's deficiencies are exacerbated by being partnered with each other.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But we’re not gonna sell him, he’s the captain so his name is first on the team sheet, so what other options are there?
I know, i know. But you (and many more people) are saying that after spending 80 mil on defender we should spend another 50-60 mil to get the best from that defender. That is also ridiculous.

Kostov

People blaming him for the goal is strange imo, you get a Spurs winger braking into the middle at full pace, Fred makes a lame attempt to tackle, the guy is running wild through the middle of the team and we blame the 195cm for not being able to turn at pace with him? The blame goes to the midfielders and DDG much more than with Maguire imo.

RORY65

You've sort of answered your own point though, I think we all knew we overpaid for Maguire and that we probably could have found someone better for less if we'd widened our search a bit but we're not going to sell him now and Ole sees him as a leader. The other point is that he has good attributes, he's good in the air, he's decent in possession and he reads the game reasonably well so you look for a partner who compliments him (i.e. someone with recovery pace and who anticipates when Maguire might be in trouble) but I'm not really sure what Lindelof's good attributes. Basically I would generally be looking to replace the 3 players around Maguire (De Gea, Lindelof and Shaw) before looking at him despite his clear deficiencies, which were exposed not for the first time tonight.

I know, i know. But you (and many more people) are saying that after spending 80 mil on defender we should spend another 50-60 mil to get the best from that defender. That is also ridiculous.
I didn’t say anything about buying another defender, I just said Bailey should partner Maguire going forward. If we do buy another defender we will probably sell another defender along with Smalling.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I didn’t say anything about buying another defender, I just said Bailey should partner Maguire going forward. If we do buy another defender we will probably sell another defender along with Smalling.
Ah, you are right. Sorry..my bad

Greck

The key is not the pace of the spurs attacker it's that's he's being led towards the goal from Maguire's body positioning. I don't think rustiness can attend for stupidity, Harry is defending the run like he's a fullback when he's the centre half.
He has those lapses occasionally where he stands so far on the wrong side just begging to be turned and sure enough he gets turned. This one just sticks out because he got punished. Have to be smarter when you have the turn radius of a bus

SAFMUTD

He's a good defender, solid. But god damn he's so so slow, you can leave him with space against any attacker, he'll get burned easily.

Why do we paid 80M for a defender that has such weakness is beyond me.

Untd55

People blaming him for the goal is strange imo, you get a Spurs winger braking into the middle at full pace, Fred makes a lame attempt to tackle, the guy is running wild through the middle of the team and we blame the 195cm for not being able to turn at pace with him? The blame goes to the midfielders and DDG much more than with Maguire imo.
Seriously? Maguire was utterly destroyed. It was pathetic. You could have put a tortoise there and it would caused Bergweijn more problems.

edcunited1878

He got turned and dribbled past and it's either the ball or player who goes past, not both and not both that turns into a shot.

United didn't win the second ball, Fred didn't foul the player but Magiure was passive when Fred was tussling with the Spurs player allowing himself to back track on the half turn then getting turned all while ushering him inside, not outside.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The goal is on Harry as it's a cardinal sin for a CB to let the forward through the middle like that, if you for some reason can't run with the guy you must at least position yourself to force him to go on the outside. Maguire just stopped and tried to do I don't know what when Bergwijn was 5m away from him and basically took on the role of a large cone. DDG obviously needs to do better as well, but he shouldn't have to face that shot if Harry does his job.

Dante

Average bang
Poor from Maguire, no doubt.

He had Bergwein in a decent position to start with, trying to show him down the line.

But then when the attacker knocked it inside, Maguire made the critical mistake of turning clockwise to win the ball rather than anti-clockwise to track the run.

From that point on, not even Usain Bolt was catching the attacker.

This wasn't a problem with lack of pace. No amount of pace was going to save him. It was simply poor positioning. That's something Maguire's usually quite good at, so hopefully he'll get over it when his mental sharpness gets back up to speed with further matches. I think he simply misjudged the pace of play.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's no question that he was poor for the goal and the criticism is justified in that regard.

But apart from that one moment he was very good imo. He was proactive in a defensive and attacking sense and helped with advancing play and caused overloads in midfield numerous times with his forays forward. I still see many benefits of him playing for us due to his stand out characteristics.

I feel we need to either play another CB next to him who compliments Maguire or buy one that will do it and will also take up some of the defensive/offensive workload from him. Fred was also too passive in the situation for the goal and someone more agressive needs to be deployed infront of the back 4 with mobility.

I think a tweak should be made at CB and DM for next season which would compliment our first 11 as a whole. And I for one aren't gonna mention his price tag anymore because that's done now and I feel we should discuss how best we put the pieces together to the puzzle going forward.

Kostov

Seriously? Maguire was utterly destroyed. It was pathetic. You could have put a tortoise there and it would caused Bergweijn more problems.
Seriously you put any CB (apart VVD) with a speedy attacker at full speed he will get destroyed. Fred losing the duel and not even fouling Bergwijn is very evident sign how weak we are in the CDM department.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Moves like a tank

Red00012

What a strange post, Maguire has literally shown him the Inside and decides to cover the outside . Why would any defender do that ?

Skåre Willoch

He had Bergwein in a decent position to start with, trying to show him down the line.

But then when the attacker knocked it inside, Maguire made the critical mistake of turning clockwise to win the ball rather than anti-clockwise to track the run.

This wasn't a problem with lack of pace. No amount of pace was going to save him. It was simply poor positioning. That's something Maguire's usually quite good at, so hopefully he'll get over it when his mental sharpness gets back up to speed with further matches. I think he simply misjudged the pace of play.
Good analysis, this.

Dante

Average bang
Good analysis, this.
I've seen a few people say that he was 'too slow to turn'.

I guess that's kind of true. But only because he attempted to turn 270° clockwise instead of 90° anti-clockwise. Maguire made his own job three times harder than it needed to be.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Fred or Maguire should just foul him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There's absolutely nothing in his game that justifies the fee we paid for him. He's a very bad fit for a side looking to play on the front foot. Put him in a negative team with lots of protection in front of him and a deep line and you'll get the best tune out of him, but in any situation where the game opens up and he's got to either compensate for his lack of acceleration or be totally committed in the challenge (thus risking being turned and spun around) and he becomes a liability in serious need of cover from a much more athletic partner.

It's rare I praise the guy because even when he does OK, it's what is expected of a player who is supposed to be the rock in and amongst a plethora of mediocre CB's we have at the club.

We can't offload him as there's no way we'd recoup the fee or anything close to it, so the answer is to pair him up with an immense physical specimen with intelligence, who will essentially hold his hand and bail him out in situations like yesterday.

Of course, first game back and not at full fitness/sharpness, but the same goes for everyone on the pitch, and still, it's the same characters making blunders synonomous with them irrespective of fitness. Maguire has to have the wit to cover for his own glaring weaknesses, and in particular, to position himself correctly and minimise the chances of exposure, and yet he does the opposite, which makes for two errors in one passage of play: initial positional blunder, and then the inability to cover his own mistake on the turn. All defenders worth their salt know their own limitations and work within a construct that marginalises mishap; the biggest letdown for me with Maguire is that he doesn't do this. I don't like my defenders to have slow acceleration, but it's not the be all and end all of a defender as players like Adams, Terry and Vidic displayed - you can still be immense and imperious if your positioning and utilisation of body contact and awareness is elite. Maguire does not sing from the hymn sheet slow - but elite - defenders know off by heart, and that's my biggest issue with him.

In the post game commentary the interviewer asked the Dutch lad who scored whether there was a plan in place to attack Maguire and expose his pace like had been seen in the international game between the respective countries. It has to be apparent that in top level clashes, particularly in the CL and internationals, Maguire is an obvious tactical inlet until his positioning proves to be impeccable. Perhaps it won't be an issue for the majority of our PL games where such a concerted effort to get at him can't be made (with us being the superior team disorientating the opposition), but it is something he needs to work on and study because being slow off the mark isn't the actual issue here; it's how those situations come about in the first place where he looks like an oil tanker, that is.

Shaw and De Gea were dire in that passage of play, too, but if Maguire had made the correct decision that shot on goal wouldn't have even occurred and he'd just be giving Shaw a swift bollocking for being a dope - ala Vidic style.

I should hope this is the last of such ill-considered actions on his part for the season - there's no need for it and it's down to him to improve and have his lack of acceleration be an afterthought rather than a talking point.

Rajma

For me as bad as that defensive act was it wasn't the most annoying thing about his game really...It's the constant running with the ball to our players just to give them a short pass but now in the crowded area as he has taken a few opposition players along with himself to that area. Like what the hell our coaching stuff are at? This aspect of his game should be cut out right away, just release the fecking ball first and don't let opposition to have any time, from positional point of view it's beyond stupid.

Fosu-Mens

He's a very bad fit for a side looking to play on the front foot. Put him in a negative team with lots of protection in front of him and a deep line and you'll get the best tune out of him, but in any situation where the game opens up and he's got to either compensate for his lack of acceleration or be totally committed in the challenge (thus risking being turned and spun around) and he becomes a liability in serious need of cover from a much more athletic partner.
Which is why it was a mistake from the beginning. Same as buying a fullback that can't do sh*t on the ball. People praising OGS for his transfers should seriously reconsider...

Fracture90

Other than being forced back into a league game without any pre season or chance to get match fit.
Few preseason matches won't make his lifelong struggle with being big and on the slow side physically, go away.

Andersons Dietician

I've seen a few people say that he was 'too slow to turn'.

I guess that's kind of true. But only because he attempted to turn 270° clockwise instead of 90° anti-clockwise. Maguire made his own job three times harder than it needed to be.
To be fair you’re taught never to turn your back on the attacker as a defender. If you turn your back to him by turning as you suggest he (Bergwin) can just cut back the other way and you’ve lost him. Arry just has slow feet and was just straight up poor defending as he should be on the move instead of just standing there.

I find his positioning is generally quite poor in many games but bar this mistake yesterday I thought he was pretty good going forward And was quick in to the tackle. Did get moved out of position a few times which or just go for a jaunt.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Positioning for the goal aside, Lindelof also should’ve covered closer to Maguire but Maguire had over covered Shaw who’s position was ridiculously bad, Maguire had a good game. Keeper has to save that shot anyway.

KeanoMagicHat

He let an attacking player run through the middle in a position he should have been in. Most at fault along with De Gea.

Few preseason matches won't make his lifelong struggle with being big and on the slow side physically, go away.
They'll help him read what's coming quicker though. Getting twisted like that is the kind if goal you'd expect in preseason, which is what this really is.

Dante

Average bang
To be fair you’re taught never to turn your back on the attacker as a defender. If you turn your back to him by turning as you suggest he (Bergwin) can just cut back the other way and you’ve lost him. Arry just has slow feet and was just straight up poor defending as he should be on the move instead of just standing there.

I find his positioning is generally quite poor in many games but bar this mistake yesterday I thought he was pretty good going forward And was quick in to the tackle. Did get moved out of position a few times which or just go for a jaunt.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a feeling this would get brought up.

But sometimes you have to go against dogma to get out of a tricky situation. There was no positive outcome for Maguire to face-up Bergwijn after that second touch.

flappyjay

When we signed him we already knew he was slow. Ole knew it too, Smalling would have been a perfect partner for him no matter how people feel about him. As rush as he is, it makes sense for Bailly to be his partner if we are going to be playing a high line.

Maguire is not world class but has the qualities to form a world class partnership with a CB that compliments him. That's my feelings about him.

Kostov

What a strange post, Maguire has literally shown him the Inside and decides to cover the outside . Why would any defender do that ?
Don't get me wrong, it was a bad decision and we paid for it. But what the feck was that first from Rashford (was it that lost the ball in a shit way?) then Fred with a lame attempt to stop the runner? Fred is so often run over like that is laughable. That's why we need someone like Partey or Ndidi.

He let an attacking player run through the middle in a position he should have been in. Most at fault along with De Gea.
The attacking player pierced through our midfield unopposed and hit the CB at pace. Maguire made a bade decision but I blame the midfield and DDG more.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Shame as he actually played well, but was unforgivably bad for the goal. School boy stuff. That said, I think Lindelöf is fortunate to not be receiving any scrutiny for the goal either tbh. 9/10 a top centre half is sliding across on the cover for his partner there.

Fracture90

They'll help him read what's coming quicker though. Getting twisted like that is the kind if goal you'd expect in preseason, which is what this really is.
Buddy we've seen him getting twisted like that left and right in the middle of the season. God knows how many opportunities we conceded due to him being an equivalent of a traffic cone.

KennyBurner

This guy was more at fault than De gea. He underestimated what bergwijn could do and it cost us in the end. He is too afraid to attack players that run towards him because of his speed. he only ever steps out to attack when the opposing striker is receiving the ball with his back to goal. this was how he neutralized Kane all game. He also dwindles on the ball for too long and delays passes out of fear sometimes. His idea of getting the ball forward is running with the ball towards shaw before making the very OBVIOUS pass. Nothing we have not seen during his time here and for him to get better he has to switch it up.

Other than that chance he was very secure throughout the game so at least there are positives. Him and De gea need to stop costing us games and they have all season. De gea mostly.

jamesjimmybyrondean

This guy was more at fault than De gea. He underestimated what bergwijn could do and it cost us in the end. He is too afraid to attack players that run towards him because of his speed. he only ever steps out to attack when the opposing striker is receiving the ball with his back to goal. this was how he neutralized Kane all game. He also dwindles on the ball for too long and delays passes out of fear sometimes. His idea of getting the ball forward is running with the ball towards shaw before making the very OBVIOUS pass. Nothing we have not seen during his time here and for him to get better he has to switch it up.

Other than that chance he was very secure throughout the game so at least there are positives. Him and De gea need to stop costing us games and they have all season. De gea mostly.
Most spot on post I've read so far

Status
Not open for further replies.