Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

His idea of getting the ball forward is running with the ball towards shaw before making the very OBVIOUS pass.
There was times where Shaw was in acres of space and instead of making a quick pass to shaw he slowly jogs towards him before passing. Problem is that by then Begwijn has closed up the open space.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Will give Maguire the benefit of the doubt. He may well just be rusty. It was bloody schoolboy defending though.

Kag

There was times where Shaw was in acres of space and instead of making a quick pass to shaw he slowly jogs towards him before passing. Problem is that by then Begwijn has closed up the open space.
I’d argue that he’s waiting for Shaw to actually make a run. I was screaming at the tele last night for him to actually get on his bike and make a move down the line. The entire thrust of the left wing was dying because Shaw was happy to loiter about on the wing and then pass the ball back inside to the midfielder. Frustrating.

Maguire’s mistake was poor last night, but these things happen. He’s solid for the most part.

Devil may care

He was good apart from the goal but it's the same with De Gea, he was fine bar the goal, problem is that goal cost us 3 points. He got caught totally flat footed and couldn't get back close enough to even force Bergwijn wide.

hmchan

Which is why it was a mistake from the beginning. Same as buying a fullback that can't do sh*t on the ball. People praising OGS for his transfers should seriously reconsider...
Credits go to the Ole and the media team I guess. Ole keeps mentioning the positive mentality from Maguire from day to day, and it somehow brainwashes people in a way that mentality is the only thing that matters. The media team is also good at overhyping new signings with all those videos and posts, even James is described as a star in the team.

hmchan

This guy was more at fault than De gea. He underestimated what bergwijn could do and it cost us in the end. He is too afraid to attack players that run towards him because of his speed. he only ever steps out to attack when the opposing striker is receiving the ball with his back to goal. this was how he neutralized Kane all game. He also dwindles on the ball for too long and delays passes out of fear sometimes. His idea of getting the ball forward is running with the ball towards shaw before making the very OBVIOUS pass. Nothing we have not seen during his time here and for him to get better he has to switch it up.

Other than that chance he was very secure throughout the game so at least there are positives. Him and De gea need to stop costing us games and they have all season. De gea mostly.
True. Even Smalling could do that with his terrible ability on the ball.

-Supreme-

There's no question that he was poor for the goal and the criticism is justified in that regard.

But apart from that one moment he was very good imo. He was proactive in a defensive and attacking sense and helped with advancing play and caused overloads in midfield numerous times with his forays forward. I still see many benefits of him playing for us due to his stand out characteristics.

I feel we need to either play another CB next to him who compliments Maguire or buy one that will do it and will also take up some of the defensive/offensive workload from him. Fred was also too passive in the situation for the goal and someone more agressive needs to be deployed infront of the back 4 with mobility.

I think a tweak should be made at CB and DM for next season which would compliment our first 11 as a whole. And I for one aren't gonna mention his price tag anymore because that's done now and I feel we should discuss how best we put the pieces together to the puzzle going forward.
I agree with this. We need to give Bailly more game time which I think Ole will look to do this...I feel his pace and aggressiveness would complement Harry better.

What's surprising is that we haven't been strongly linked with a DM, hope we get someone in to rotate with Matic as this to me should be our 2nd priority after RW.

Ricardo de la Vega

Turned like milk for the goal. Slow, and could have been booked in the second half after getting caught flat footed again but actually made a decent challenge.
If you're not athletically gifted - which at the very highest level Maguire is not, then you have to make up for it with a yard in your head and he just doesn't seem to be there. Compare him to some of our centre halves over the years and it really shows the drop off in class we're at.

Untd55

I think the telling sign that Maguire is pretty average is that Leicester replaced him so easily. Their new defender is arguably better. They should have had a lot more trouble finding a replacement defender for a quality player, just like Southampton could not replace Van Dijk. It seems too easy.

He is an alright player, but has massive weaknesses. For £80m, you expect one of the best in the world; he most certainly isn't. Performances do not match up to the cost.

The thing is that he is replaceable. He is not someone you look at and think that it will be difficult to replace him. I would not say it has been a good signing.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Don't get me wrong, it was a bad decision and we paid for it. But what the feck was that first from Rashford (was it that lost the ball in a shit way?) then Fred with a lame attempt to stop the runner? Fred is so often run over like that is laughable. That's why we need someone like Partey or Ndidi.

The attacking player pierced through our midfield unopposed and hit the CB at pace. Maguire made a bade decision but I blame the midfield and DDG more.
Bergwijn couldn't have pierced through our midfield even if he wanted to since he recieved the ball in the space behind them. It makes no sense at all to blame our midfield more than the guy who actually had a good chance to defend the play.

Maguire is by far our best CB so I think he'll be fine without us having to rewrite history to absolve him from blame.

Davie Moyes

Was poor on the goal but quite good for the rest of the game. Poor positioning, did he think the player was going to go on the outside? I think the midfielders being close to the opponent but not getting tighter may have put him off putting in a proper challenge. Either way they goal is mainly on DDG. You can't get beaten from there with a shot straight at your hands.

simplyared

If you look at the overall performance I'd have had him as a contender for motm. However a schoolboy error cost him that and not something you'd expect from an England international. He put himself in a position where he couldn't make an effective challenge. Maybe he should have seen it coming. Nevertheless I'm happy he's our captain and 1st choice CB. Erase and rewind!

Foxbatt

Actually even Rashford was at fault for the goal. When Shaw headed it Rashford should not have been beaten to it so easily. I felt the Spurs player should have been fouled earlier on but I guess no one knew he was going to let fly and DeGea to be beaten so easily to the shot.

King Andow

Lindelof's a joke of a defender. I'm not sure what he's actually good at because it sure ain't defending.
So is Maguire, then. He makes the same amount or even more mistakes than Lindelöf but because he's british, "a leader" and strong It's all fine, just need to sign another partner to try to cover all of the feck ups by the most expensive CB ever.
Doesn't even show the Batshuayi goal in the EFL Cup where he was at fault. Should've been sent off in that game as well.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Actually even Rashford was at fault for the goal. When Shaw headed it Rashford should not have been beaten to it so easily. I felt the Spurs player should have been fouled earlier on but I guess no one knew he was going to let fly and DeGea to be beaten so easily to the shot.
I've seen it all now.

So Rashford, Shaw, Maguire, De Gea and McTom were all at fault for the goal :lol:

Kostov

Bergwijn couldn't have pierced through our midfield even if he wanted to since he recieved the ball in the space behind them. It makes no sense at all to blame our midfield more than the guy who actually had a good chance to defend the play.

Maguire is by far our best CB so I think he'll be fine without us having to rewrite history to absolve him from blame.
If he received the ball behind them doesn't mean the midfield is without blame, Fred caught up with Bergwijn and could have made a tactical foul if he could not recover the ball, instead Bergwijn run directly at the defense. McT is so far out of position which is also baffling. There are couple of mistakes prior and after Maguire's and I feel he takes most of the blame regardless. Maguire of course made a mistake but I think a proper CDM or more tactically aware CM fouls the attacker picks a yellow and it's over before it even begun.

Bobski

Fine if you are going to play a deep line but if you push up the cb's are going to be left to defend in space, and it is a huge issue in his game. None of this should come as a surprise as it was obviously a problem with his game before he was bought. He has generally been better than I thought he would be to be fair, had very low expectations but his issues with mobility/agility are not going to go away.

I like his composure on the ball but he could do with shifting it a lot quicker.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So is Maguire, then. He makes the same amount or even more mistakes than Lindelöf but because he's british, "a leader" and strong It's all fine, just need to sign another partner to try to cover all of the feck ups by the most expensive CB ever.
Doesn't even show the Batshuayi goal in the EFL Cup where he was at fault. Should've been sent off in that game as well.
Macguire's slow and all his mistakes come from that because Lindelof's too useless to help cover for it.

Most of Lindelof's mistakes get covered by Macguire and Smalling previously. He's the real defender that needs replacing in the real place.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's comically slow but both Lindelof and Maguire's deficiencies are exacerbated by being partnered with each other.
Yep. I do feel Lindelof gets a lot of unfair treatment on this forum at times with people significantly overstating his weaknesses, but at the end of the day he's not a good partner for Maguire. That was obvious before we even signed Maguire, and we've seen examples of it all season. Maybe Ole's plan was for Tuanzebe to ultimately take over that role this season, because otherwise it was poor planning to have Maguire and Lindelof as the main duo.

lsd

The Oracle
So because Maguire is not good enough we should replace Lindelof with a guy that can do both defenders jobs ?

TheReligion

Abusive
Funny the football Einstein's are calling Maguire shit, AWB one dimensional, Shaw fat, Lindelof a pussy and DDG a has been..

Can any of you philosophers explain how we have the 4th best defensive record in the league and one of our best in years?

Please answer ASAP as I'm struggling with this one chaps.

RkkMan

Funny the football Einstein's are calling Maguire shit, AWB one dimensional, Shaw fat, Lindelof a pussy and DDG a has been..

Can any of you philosophers explain how we have the 4th best defensive record in the league and one of our best in years?

Please answer ASAP as I'm struggling with this one chaps.
We are actually joint 3rd for least goals conceded ITL but it wont suit people`s agendas.

Last edited:

binary bot
So because Maguire is not good enough we should replace Lindelof with a guy that can do both defenders jobs ?
I think you'd improve both with more athletic partners. The question then is who's better? For me its Maguire

RkkMan

Thing is despite his flaw of pace HM offers more qualities than Lindelof. The latter is too passive he doesn`t get himself as involved in a game as Maguire mostly cause he has AWB completely protecting him whereas Maguire has to cover for Shaw who`s nowhere near as good defensively. Even Jose said Maguire will cover for Shaw a lot of times when HM first joined us. WhoScored rated Maguire at 7.5 and Lindelof at 6.3 vs Spurs, despite his mistake he actually had a good game and completely marked Kane out.

lsd

The Oracle
I think you'd improve both with more athletic partners. The question then is who's better? For me its Maguire

For me they are both not good enough . Maguire will always cost us goals due to his lack of pace and poor positioning .

This is not going to improve .

People say we should keep him because of the money he cost well in that case we should be starting Sanchez every game .

I've been saying for day one he is a disaster signing . He will never be able to improve the flaws he has which will always cost us .

It's not good enough to say well we should have better players around him to cover him . If he needs people to cover him he is clearly a problem .

You don't accommodate problems you get rid of them and get something that works.

I am sick of the excuses people make for him . His supporters are like Trump supporters . They are blind to facts and keep repeating the same tired excuses over and over .

" Bar the goals he gave away he was good , it's more on the other players for not covering his mistakes"

We do want to get back to the top don't we ? Then let's act like it as continually handicapping ourselves with a defender who can't run and a centre forward who won't run is just going to keep us as also rans

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He doesn't need to be sold but he needs a better partner. A fit Bailey or an upgraded player in the similar mould.

A-man

Thing is despite his flaw of pace HM offers more qualities than Lindelof. The latter is too passive he doesn`t get himself as involved in a game as Maguire mostly cause he has AWB completely protecting him whereas Maguire has to cover for Shaw who`s nowhere near as good defensively. Even Jose said Maguire will cover for Shaw a lot of times when HM first joined us. WhoScored rated Maguire at 7.5 and Lindelof at 6.3 vs Spurs, despite his mistake he actually had a good game and completely marked Kane out.
I think Maguire is the best defender in the club and one of the best CBs in the league. But he was pretty poor against Spurs. If you watch the highlights, you can see he was responsible for almost every chance we conceded. This you can’t see in any whoscored stats, where they only count amount of headers, tackles etc (and playing time). A player who wins 10 headers but makes 3 big mistakes will get good scores. This is why he got 7.5 whoscored points but most newspapers gave him 5. He had a poor match and by his standards very poor. I’m not worried about him however. He will come back and improve within a few matches.

Skills

Snitch
Maguire can at least head the ball. There isn't a single part of defending, that Lindelof excels in.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he cost 30m and was a squad player, he would have been good enough, still with some question marks.

As an 80m player and our captain, he’s a total joke.

bsCallout

People genuinely advocating he isn't good enough. Wow.

He has one obvious weakness; speed. Usually this isn't an issue when you have another good CB next to you with speed. Vidic was not fast, Rio often covered very well.

Between Maguire and Lindelof it is night and day who is better.

I'm certain Ole wanted either Bailly or Tuanzabe to partner him, they both have all the attributes to partner Maguire. If either of them can stay fit we won't need another CB.

The goal was horribly frustrating as it demonstrated the weakness of each player so well.

Shaw demonstrated his questionable decision making and passivity.
Maguire demonstrated his lack of speed.
Lindelof demonstrated his poor reading of the game and his inability to cover.
De Gea demonstrated both poor decision making(punching > palm or even foot) & lack of presence.

Thankfully, this doesn't happen often. If Shaw had done ANYTHING other than what he did then no one else would have been questioned.

After getting a RW, we have to prioritise a fit, healthy and fast CB to partner Maguire. Virtually no defender is as well rounded as VVD, that doesn't mean Maguire is not a very good CB. He would improve every team in the Prem, including Liverpools.

Bobski

I think Maguire is the best defender in the club and one of the best CBs in the league. But he was pretty poor against Spurs. If you watch the highlights, you can see he was responsible for almost every chance we conceded. This you can’t see in any whoscored stats, where they only count amount of headers, tackles etc (and playing time). A player who wins 10 headers but makes 3 big mistakes will get good scores. This is why he got 7.5 whoscored points but most newspapers gave him 5. He had a poor match and by his standards very poor. I’m not worried about him however. He will come back and improve within a few matches.
Whoscored and its ilk can show some interesting raw data but their interpretation of it into a scoring system is flawed. Did they even credit the Spurs goal as Maguire being dribbled past? Or did not even getting close enough to make a challenge allow him to avoid that stat?

There was another Spurs move a few mins after the goal, Shaw up field, Aurier gets the ball in tons of space on the right, Maguire could go across and put some pressure on the ball but he elected to make for the middle and guard the near post, Cross was cut out at the back so perhaps Maguire made the right decision but relying on a poor ball is asking for trouble.

Edit, Just checked Whoscored out of curiosity and found that Maguire did indeed avoid the dribbled past stat. A bit ridiculous for that situation.

bsCallout

For me they are both not good enough . Maguire will always cost us goals due to his lack of pace and poor positioning .

This is not going to improve .

People say we should keep him because of the money he cost well in that case we should be starting Sanchez every game .

I've been saying for day one he is a disaster signing . He will never be able to improve the flaws he has which will always cost us .

It's not good enough to say well we should have better players around him to cover him . If he needs people to cover him he is clearly a problem .

You don't accommodate problems you get rid of them and get something that works.

I am sick of the excuses people make for him . His supporters are like Trump supporters . They are blind to facts and keep repeating the same tired excuses over and over .

" Bar the goals he gave away he was good , it's more on the other players for not covering his mistakes"

We do want to get back to the top don't we ? Then let's act like it as continually handicapping ourselves with a defender who can't run and a centre forward who won't run is just going to keep us as also rans
What a ridiculous post.

All players require other players to help them. There is a reason players build great partnerships. They compliment each other.

Lindelof does not have the attributes to partner Maguire, that is clear. The list of players that cover and compliment each other in every team in the world is never-ending.

I can't get over how daft that comment is. Guess what, C. Ronaldo was pretty awful at helping defensively, so guess what . . He gets put with players that will help and cover for him.

C. Ronaldo is obviously not good enough.

lsd

The Oracle
What a ridiculous post.

All players require other players to help them. There is a reason players build great partnerships. They compliment each other.

Lindelof does not have the attributes to partner Maguire, that is clear. The list of players that cover and compliment each other in every team in the world is never-ending.

I can't get over how daft that comment is. Guess what, C. Ronaldo was pretty awful at helping defensively, so guess what . . He gets put with players that will help and cover for him.

C. Ronaldo is obviously not good enough.

Did you seriously just compare Ronaldo to Harry Maguire? I know i said Maguire fans were deluded but thats ridiculous.

Ronaldo wasn't signed to defend and any flaws he had in his game when he signed were going to improve in time. Not a chance of Maguire ever getting fast or constantly being exposed .

Status
Not open for further replies.