6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum does love to go OTT whether it's with praise or criticism, doesn't it? :lol:
Thought he was very very good and will probably be our best defender but lets watch him for a couple of months before we decide he's a bargain/waste of money.
I’ve watched him since he came into the Prem with Hull, so that’s a good few years now. Add to that I’ve watched him extensively for England, I won’t be waiting a couple of months for anything, the guy is top class.

80m will never be a bargain but I still can’t get my head around why so many fans on here wanted the owners to save money and shop in the bargain basement for a CB again.

Tarrou

3/4 of the forum still think he is a waste of money and no better than Smalling? :lol:

Told you by Xmas he will be a fan favourite and captain.
I doubt even 1/10 of the forum thought he was no better than Smalling

NoLogo

I love how calm he is when defending. Now I just hope his form lasts and the duo in front of two CBs learns how to do a proper job shielding them better, especially in the first half the gaps between defense and our double pivot was way too big at times.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think Ole kept Young on as captain because it'll be easier to give the armband to Maguire next season. Just take it off Young, who is likely on his last contract. Easier to do than say taking it off De Gea.
Yep. I was quite surprised at how many people were disappointed with Young getting the official gig this season, as I thought it was quite obvious that it was a short-term thing to allow somebody else (probably either Maguire or McTominay) to really step into the team and establish themselves as the right choice.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I love how calm he is when defending. Now I just hope his form lasts and the duo in front of two CBs learns how to do a proper job shielding them better, especially in the first half the gaps between defense and our double pivot was way too big at times.
Yeah, that was something I've noticed, completely playing on his own terms. Think that comes when you trust in your own ability knowing you'll deal with whatevers being thrown infront of you.

As for second part IMO it's down to both McTomminay or Pogba not being defensive midfielders. We could really use proper DM, either in mould of Kante or Carrick, and play McTomminay in Herrera role, with Pogba further up the pitch, but since we lack that option (Matić is done at this level) we have to sacrifice these two and play them more defensively which is unnatural to both of them.

Nick7

One thing I liked about him from yesterday is, he seems to absolutely fecking love defending.

DamoK

One thing I liked about him from yesterday is, he seems to absolutely fecking love defending.
Yeah I Noticed he celebrated near the end of the match when there was a block made. He really wanted that clean sheet which is great to see! He was constantly talking to everyone around him and looks like a leader. We often forget how young Lindelof is and he will really benefit from Maguires leadership skills !!

LeftyBlaster

This guy just does not give a feck. Gives us the ability to play out the back so well because he's so calm and collected and plays the ball on the ground. If it was Smalling the fool would be booting it upfield.

No, I didn't, I wasn't aware he exist prior to his transfer to United. I didn't discover him only as a player yesterday but as a person aswell.

Talk about nitpicking. :rolleyes:
Call it nitpicking, but after his first game for United you talked about "noticing" his calmness. That's what Maguire is all about, it's the reason we spent 80m on him.

The Uncle of All Uncles

Very impressed with him. £80m is a lot but it could end up looking like a bargain (like £75m for Van Dijk). He's the real deal I think. A massive, massive upgrade on defence.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Call it nitpicking, but after his first game for United you talked about "noticing" his calmness. That's what Maguire is all about, it's the reason we spent 80m on him.
Yeah because I wasn't paying that much attention to his overall play while he was at Leicester.

I've known he's beast in the air and very good with the ball, but wasn't looking that much into his overall demeanor on the pitch, is that so hard to understand?

Not all of us have that scout like view you obviously possess.

redom

Leicester fans: "Evans was the better of the 2"
It may be that playing alongside Maguire allowed Evans to shine, a lot of people were praising Lindelof yesterday, rightly so, and some even put him above Maguire so it might be a similar circumstance.

It could be one of the more important things he brings to the team, not only his own quality but the positive influence he'll have on those around him.

Ekeke

It may be that playing alongside Maguire allowed Evans to shine, a lot of people were praising Lindelof yesterday, rightly so, and some even put him above Maguire so it might be a similar circumstance.

It could be one of the more important things he brings to the team, not only his own quality but the positive influence he'll have on those around him.
Its just the Lindelof overhype in full effect.

Maguire and Wan-Bissaka did the vast majority of defending and he barely had anything to do, but he still had a poor header to the opponent in the box

bondsname

Really hope this CB-pairing with Lindelof and Maguire works, it certainly has potential. With Tuanzebe improving in the background, we have a decent ball playing centre back to provide some depth as well.

Maguire and Wan-Bissaka did the vast majority of defending and he barely had anything to do, but he still had a poor header to the opponent in the box
Ahhh... I see you've moved onto Lindelöf now that Maguire, albeit only one game in, made some of your comments look rather silly? Smalling isn't going to be part of this first eleven Ekeke, he'll do a great job as a squad option, that's just how it is.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I'm English, so it's being an England fan that helps rather than some excellent scouting skills.

For England Maguire has been milers calmer, commanding, better on the ball & better at defending than his partner John Stones.
And you expect me, being Croatian, to watch England national team like you do watch them?

And you expect me, being Croatian, to watch England national team like you do watch them?
Nope. I thought you might have watched the World Cup though as Croatia was so good? And Maguire was England's best player there by a mile, calm, composed, commanding, he was so good that he caused Mourinho to completely lose his shit and sabotage his United job when the club wouldn't buy him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ahhh... I see you've moved onto Lindelöf now that Maguire, albeit only one game in, made some of your comments look rather silly? Smalling isn't going to be part of this first eleven Ekeke, he'll do a great job as a squad option, that's just how it is.
Can’t believe you’re taking him on. Fair play.

Kostov

I fecking hate how intelligent Pogba comes in when he speaks, but does some inexplicably stupid things on the pitch. I feel he will benefit from Maguire behind him also. We need some more temperament in that back line and I think Harry will give us a boost.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Nope. I thought you might have watched the World Cup though as Croatia was so good? And Maguire was England's best player there by a mile, calm, composed, commanding, he was so good that he caused Mourinho to completely lose his shit and sabotage his United job when the club wouldn't buy him.
I've watched only one England match which was against Croatia, in which I was more focused on our players than yours.

I'm glad we've got him, will elevate our defence to another level IMO.

romufc

The fact that he went to the players at 3-0 /4-0 and said we need to defend, not only does he want to win, he wants to make conceding a goal at OT hard work.

When was the last time? Vidic.

I can't imagine anyone listening to smalling or Jones when they say lets defend.

Clearly he has got the respect of alot of players. Both him and lindelof are well respected and have a good rapport in the team. Once they start defending as a pair, scoring against Utd will be difficult.

DoomSlayer

Lindelof is still miles better than Smalling.

Thisistheone

He was so good yesterday. Oozes class and looks like he was born to play at Old Trafford.

Status
Not open for further replies.