Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav1878

I am not saying Maguire is on the same level, but the way people are hypercritical on here I doubt Rio or Stam would have survived given some of the mistakes they made. As soon as they had a few bad games the fans here would want them sold and onto their next shiny new toy...
Stam and Rio had pace plus all the attributes Maguire has. They had something to get them out of trouble, which sadly he doesn't.

Pav1878

Jeez, he went from captain fantastic to shit in one game. He had a game off, lets move on people and enjoy the CL race
Some of us never called him captain fantastic in the first place. Have been skeptical since he was doing this crap for Leicester and England

lsd

The Oracle
I am not saying Maguire is on the same level, but the way people are hypercritical on here I doubt Rio or Stam would have survived given some of the mistakes they made. As soon as they had a few bad games the fans here would want them sold and onto their next shiny new toy...

He is not Stam , Rio , Vidic or Ronaldo . He is being judged on his own performances which have been poor and his own shortcomings which for a centre back are pretty alarming.

People need to stop making excuses for him . He shouldn't need someone to cover for him . He shouldn't need to be excused for getting nugmegged in his own penalty box by then blaming the goalkeeper or any other player on the pitch .

Together with his lack of pace he has made many numerous horrendous errors which has cost us goals yet its excuse after excuse and blaming everything else but hin .

Jose never made as many excuses as Maguire's supporters

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Maguire is a really good center back who happened to have a poor game. It happens, he‘s been great for us.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Would have been a decent fourth choice when United was fighting for titles. As a captain and 80m player, a total joke.
We got ripped off like crazy. Overpaid for a mediocre, overhyped english man.

Paying 80 million for a defender you would expect him to be the complete defender. For us to have to buy another defender to compensate his deficits shows we grossly overpaid.

We are now in a position where we have to buy another player or hope that Tuanazebe or Mengi become the 80 million player we need.
Spot on. The fact that we now need to buy another defender for the world's most expensive to suit his needs is embarrassing

el3mel

I don't think he's a bad defender alright, but again it is ridiculous how he does nothing wrong in his defenders eyes. We defend well it's all down to him. He does a terrible mistake it's all down to his partner who should have covered for him.

I mean once we replace Lindelof with a pacey player and Maguire does his mistakes I don't see who will be blamed then.

Again not a bad defender, good one too but some here simply can't criticize a player they like when he plays poorly.

Pav1878

We got ripped off like crazy. Overpaid for a mediocre, overhyped english man.

Spot on. The fact that we now need to buy another defender for the world's most expensive to suit his needs is embarrassing
Exactly, this is what I've been saying. How can that be a good thing? Completely embarrassing

lsd

The Oracle
Maguire is a really good center back who happened to have a poor game. It happens, he‘s been great for us.

This is the worst excuse which iv seen so many times on here after his many errors. "Oh its one error he was great bar that " . I struggle to come up with all these great performances for us yet i can still recall more than the one poor game

Hammondo

This is nonsense, did you watch what happened?

He had to get towards Stanislas quickly as the balled spilled to him. No human runs sideways like a crab. You're making it out like he was just waiting there standing square, asking for the nutmeg.
He made himself really flat footed.

TheReligion

Abusive
If some of you lot get embarrassed by the amount a football club paid for a player you need thicker skin. Jesus wept.

Fussmeister

Some of us never called him captain fantastic in the first place. Have been skeptical since he was doing this crap for Leicester and England
Yeah of course some never did. But my point was that people goes nuts after a bad game Instead of being rational.

Yeah Stanislav made him look bad but sometimes that will happen , just accept it and move on. Pretty sure Maguire is the one most pissed of about and do better next time.

starman

He is not Stam , Rio , Vidic or Ronaldo . He is being judged on his own performances which have been poor and his own shortcomings which for a centre back are pretty alarming.

People need to stop making excuses for him . He shouldn't need someone to cover for him . He shouldn't need to be excused for getting nugmegged in his own penalty box by then blaming the goalkeeper or any other player on the pitch .

Together with his lack of pace he has made many numerous horrendous errors which has cost us goals yet its excuse after excuse and blaming everything else but hin .

Jose never made as many excuses as Maguire's supporters
By this same regard can I judge posters that have shown to be wrong in their opinion over the years?
As I said the hypercritical environment we are in Rio and Stam would likely not have survived before people turned on them. Social media wasn't as prevalent back then, but in person, Stam was not seen a roaring success in his first 6 months and lots of fans were labelling him as a mistake.

dev1l

Yes Maguire makes mistakes but our defence is much better since he signed for us - which in the end that all it matters.
G
For those mentioning Rio and Stam - those who actually watched them play , they were top defenders but even they committed mistakes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s a good defender and a good captain but he’s not perfect. Funny enough, Soyuncu or whatever the feck he’s called would be my choice to partner him.

Donald Silverbridge

My last post of the day, I want to say, He's been brilliant for us after the restart, He probably should've done better yesterday, But I'm sure he'll learn from yesterday's game, He's been one of our best signings personally.

dev1l

By this same regard can I judge posters that have shown to be wrong in their opinion over the years?
As I said the hypercritical environment we are in Rio and Stam would likely not have survived before people turned on them. Social media wasn't as prevalent back then, but in person, Stam was not seen a roaring success in his first 6 months and lots of fans were labelling him as a mistake.
Fully agreed.
Re posters. I m getting the impression that it's the same lot who used to moan about Ole week in week out in the first months of the season,. Now they turned their guns at Maguire.
They seem to thrive with something to moan about - it says a lot about themselves really

lsd

The Oracle

Personally I never wanted Ole out and I really don't see why it would matter if anyone did as regards how they feel about Maguire.

Once again why can the Maguire backers not just allow judgments on his performance without trying to shoehorn in other players or other topics?

It's just weak excuses

TheReligion

Abusive
This is the worst excuse which iv seen so many times on here after his many errors. "Oh its one error he was great bar that " . I struggle to come up with all these great performances for us yet i can still recall more than the one poor game
The fact you struggle to recall the positives when he was MOTM and scored the winning goal in the cup literally the other day speaks volumes of your bias.

Pav1878

Does that mean they never made mistakes than? :confused:
Not at all, just means they were better players and had better attributes. They are the yardstick we should measure centre backs by and unfortunately Maguire doesn't measure up.
That is the standard of defender we should be targeting and if they are not available, not buy an £80milliin stop gap

lsd

The Oracle
The fact you struggle to recall the positives when he was MOTM and scored the winning goal in the cup literally the other day speaks volumes of your bias.

We didn't buy him to score goals did we?

Pav1878

Yeah of course some never did. But my point was that people goes nuts after a bad game Instead of being rational.

Yeah Stanislav made him look bad but sometimes that will happen , just accept it and move on. Pretty sure Maguire is the one most pissed of about and do better next time.
I'm sure he is as he is a good professional and good character.
But this is not the first mistake and won't be the last. Of course it's just his first season, and he may get better and better. But the worry for many fans is not his desire, character or heading ability etc, it's the fact he lacks something that you cannot develop or coach, and that is pace and agility.

ash_86

Not worried at all with regard to Maguire. He's played every mintue of the premier league and ususally is quite dependable on 95% of the games. I can bear the odd mistake which i'm willing to oversee in his first season at a new club. I certainly think he's contributed a lot that reflects in our number of goals conceded and clean sheets.

lsd

The Oracle
He was MOTM. Not just because of the goal. Anyway if you can't recall that from less than a week ago you need to give your head a wobble.

Utd were well below par and he got MOTM for scoring a last min winner but hey thats well worth 80 million .

TheReligion

Abusive
Utd were well below par and he got MOTM for scoring a last min winner but hey thats well worth 80 million .
Another silly post. No one said that justifies his fee. Simply picking up on your bias that you can't recall a game from less than a week ago in which he played well.

Pav1878

Can we rely on him to defend against the likes of Liverpool's front three, or any other pacey, dynamic attack? I sure don't.

The best teams don't pump cross after cross into the box which he could head out a la the second coming of John Terry which will make him look good. They will run rings around him in the champions league.

fps

Yes Maguire makes mistakes but our defence is much better since he signed for us - which in the end that all it matters.
G
For those mentioning Rio and Stam - those who actually watched them play , they were top defenders but even they committed mistakes.
This. Honestly some people seem to think good players never make mistakes, the myth of those past players who never had a bad game, never got wrong side, etc. Just a load of nonsense. Maguire has massively improved the defence and his leadership is a key component as well as his positioning, passing, and calmness.

Revan

Assumptionman
G
It actually is not much better. It is much better than last year mostly cause we were utter shit under Mourinho, but it is not much better than in any 4 seasons before that.

starman

Personally I never wanted Ole out and I really don't see why it would matter if anyone did as regards how they feel about Maguire.

Once again why can the Maguire backers not just allow judgments on his performance without trying to shoehorn in other players or other topics?

It's just weak excuses
Where did I mention anything about Ole :confused:
And why can't todays environment be applied to the past in judgment? You label it weak because it steps on the way you wish to judge and criticise someone.

My point is not even about Rio, Stam or Maguire, its about analysis done today and the amount of emphasis that is placed on someone that makes a mistake.

Posh Red

Can we rely on him to defend against the likes of Liverpool's front three, or any other pacey, dynamic attack? I sure don't.

The best teams don't pump cross after cross into the box which he could head out a la the second coming of John Terry which will make him look good. They will run rings around him in the champions league.
Pretty sure this years title winners do a fair bit of this

mu4c_20le

This. Honestly some people seem to think good players never make mistakes, the myth of those past players who never had a bad game, never got wrong side, etc. Just a load of nonsense. Maguire has massively improved the defence and his leadership is a key component as well as his positioning, passing, and calmness.
No he didn't.... unless he's also player-manager and signed AWB for us. Last summer buying a new right back was crucial, because we've been struggling in that area since Neville decided to call it a day. Maguire is a strong, solid CB but comparing him to the likes of Rio and Stam to justify his mistakes is bonkers. Look at the Spurs goal again. That's not just a mistake, that's his weakness exposed wide open.

starman

Not at all, just means they were better players and had better attributes. They are the yardstick we should measure centre backs by and unfortunately Maguire doesn't measure up.
That is the standard of defender we should be targeting and if they are not available, not buy an £80milliin stop gap
Stop focusing on the price so much, its clear that we overpaid to other clubs that may have been interested simply because it being United.
And you speak like your Rio's or Stam's of this world were available alternatives we could have got instead. If you want todays alternative, VVD is the only one upto that standard and would cost close to 150m and nor would he ever join United

DoomSlayer

I criticised the fee we paid last summer, I've been critical of his mistakes in general but some of you lot are mental. :houllier: No perspective and only living in your imaginary ideal world.

I'd say if he was a £50m-£60m signing, people would be alright with him, considering his stats back him up in being one of the best CBs. We overpaid by around £30m because we were desperate and Maguire will never be a Van Dijk, so deal with it. I'd also wager that if people knew how good VVD would actually be for the scousers, his price would have been almost double what they paid to Southampton.

It really looks like the Pogba situation all over again, as soon as we have a more mobile CB next to him or DM in front of him, I'm sure we would see an even more settled defense and we'd probably be in the top 5 in Europe, considering we have been doing good so far, in such an up-and-down season.

fps

No he didn't.... unless he's also player-manager and signed AWB for us. Last summer buying a new right back was crucial, because we've been struggling in that area since Neville decided to call it a day. Maguire is a strong, solid CB but comparing him to the likes of Rio and Stam to justify his mistakes is bonkers. Look at the Spurs goal again. That's not just a mistake, that's his weakness exposed wide open.
I didn’t compare him with Rio and Stam, that’s probably someone else, but Rio was caught out of position a fair bit in his first few seasons, overly relying on his pace to try and get himself out of trouble. It’s been a season when United’s defence is better, and I don’t get this turning on players by supposed fans when things are going so well either.

mu4c_20le

I didn’t compare him with Rio and Stam, that’s probably someone else, but Rio was caught out of position a fair bit in his first few seasons, overly relying on his pace to try and get himself out of trouble. It’s been a season when United’s defence is better, and I don’t get this turning on players by supposed fans when things are going so well either.
It's not turning on players mate it's just being real. I don't see anyone hounding him out either...maybe some were just wondering if the money could've been better spent last summer. He is closer to Vidic when he first signed with us, but even if he turns out as good as him, the problem is that we already paid a record fee for him, how are we gonna find another Rio to play alongside him?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Imagine next year we come up against the pace of Bayern in the CL.

Maguire vs. Sane/Coman/Gnabry and even Davies...

He will get a new one torn in

DoomSlayer

Embarrassments can happen to any great defender. I remember Messi's headed goal against us in the 2009 CL final, that was humiliating for both Rio and VDS.

Or Messi absolutely destroying and making a meme out of World Cup winner Jerome Boateng.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

We will probably play on the counter to cover for lack of pace in central defence

Revan

Assumptionman
I criticised the fee we paid last summer, I've been critical of his mistakes in general but some of you lot are mental. :houllier: No perspective and only living in your imaginary ideal world.

I'd say if he was a £50m-£60m signing, people would be alright with him, considering his stats back him up in being one of the best CBs. We overpaid by around £30m because we were desperate and Maguire will never be a Van Dijk, so deal with it. I'd also wager that if people knew how good VVD would actually be for the scousers, his price would have been almost double what they paid to Southampton.

It really looks like the Pogba situation all over again, as soon as we have a more mobile CB next to him or DM in front of him, I'm sure we would see an even more settled defense and we'd probably be in the top 5 in Europe, considering we have been doing good so far, in such an up-and-down season.
He is not and has never been a 50m signing. If we spent 50m for him, we would have overpaid for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.