Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Imagine next year we come up against the pace of Bayern in the CL.

Maguire vs. Sane/Coman/Gnabry and even Davies...

He will get a new one torn in
Yup. Poor Lindelof and De Gea, they will get all the blame for every time Maguire gets nutmegged, dribbled, embarrassed and their attackers score headers on him.

DoomSlayer

He is not and has never been a 50m signing. If we spent 50m for him, we would have overpaid for him.
No, we wouldn't. When the likes of Koulibaly are priced at £120m+, how is Maguire not worth even half of that. It's just mental agenda BS and people wanting to vent at something or someone.

Revan

Assumptionman
Embarrassments can happen to any great defender. I remember Messi's headed goal against us in the 2009 CL final, that was humiliating for both Rio and VDS.

Or Messi absolutely destroying and making a meme out of World Cup winner Jerome Boateng.
Messi making a meme out of you is bad. Imagine Winjauldum, Stanislav and Spurs player who’s name I didn’t know making a meme out of you though.

Revan

Assumptionman
No, we wouldn't. When the likes of Koulibaly are priced at £120m+, how is Maguire not worth even half of that. It's just mental agenda BS and people wanting to vent at something or someone.
Because he is not half as good. Doh.

He is a Lindelof-caliber player (better at defending, but slower, much easier to dribble and very mistake-prone). Should have cost around the same as Lindelof.

DoomSlayer

Messi making a meme out of you is bad. Imagine Winjauldum, Stanislav and Spurs player who’s name I didn’t know making a meme out of you though.
Let's see if we get CL and how we do in it, our defenders as well, before making such harsh judgement calls.

And yes, Messi outjumping you or leaving you literally collapsed on the floor in vital CL matches is still embarrassing, considering we are talking about "world class" defenders.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We will play on counter as we are not good enough to go toe to toe against top teams.
Yes because we would be vulnerable defensively and that isn't just down to the CBs. However being a team which plays on the front foot in those games with attacking fullbacks will need a significant improvement in our CBs and DM

DoomSlayer

He is a Lindelof-caliber player (better at defending, but slower, much easier to dribble and very mistake-prone). Should have cost around the same as Lindelof.
Your first sentence has made this discussion reach its' end. A totally delusional statement.

mu4c_20le

Nobody would've paid it though, that was more of a feck off price. His actual valuation is around 50-60m which is what they are willing to accept now.

TheReligion

Abusive

You do realise that the price is relevant to the market right? So in signing VVD for what they did the CB market rose. The same with Kepa when Liverpool paid out for a GK.

It's no good trying to compare prices at a time where the market was less.

Revan

Assumptionman
Let's see if we get CL and how we do in it, our defenders as well, before making such harsh judgement calls.

And yes, Messi outjumping you or leaving you literally collapsed on the floor in vital CL matches is still embarrassing, considering we are talking about "world class" defenders.
Sure. Messi embarrasses Rio and even more than 10 years later we talk about it.

Players whose names I haven’t heard have embarrassed Maguire multiple times this season. My mum would probably be able to dribble him.

Revan

Assumptionman
You do realise that the price is relevant to the market right? So in signing VVD for what they did the CB market rose. The same with Kepa when Liverpool paid out for a GK.

It's no good trying to compare prices at a time where the market was less.
Maguire is the most expensive defender of all time though. The price of defenders increased with him.

DoomSlayer

Nobody would've paid it though, that was more of a feck off price. His actual valuation is around 50-60m which is what they are willing to accept now.
And we paid the "feck off" price for Maguire, because we were desperate. Rodgers was adamant that Leicester don't have to sell until the very end of the deal.

I'd say Napoli may have finally decided to budge due to Koulibaly not hitting his previous top form and the economic crisis due to the pandemic forcing them to sell for good prices, while they still can.

Zambara

He's a flawed version of the sort of rock defender you build a defence around. Which most importantly means: he's very good. Which also importantly means, we have to think hard about the defence, and who is playing alongside him.

People bang on about Sancho and the position at right wing, but maybe the future of CB is key.

dev1l

Earlier this season Juventus scored 4 past Napoli and Koilibaly was at fault in 2-3 of them.
Yes Koulibaly is human too and makes mistakes too but some of you seem to focus exclusively on United defenders errors.

You need to watch.other games to get able to compare.

Also as someone who have been.following the team for the past 30+ years I remember well how then record signing Gary Pallister struggled in his first season. Vidic another great defender also struggled in his first months here, though his detractors like to mention him struggling against Torres.

I could go on forever...top players make mistakes. I prefer to look at the overall contribution a players gives to the team

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Embarrassments can happen to any great defender. I remember Messi's headed goal against us in the 2009 CL final, that was humiliating for both Rio and VDS.

Or Messi absolutely destroying and making a meme out of World Cup winner Jerome Boateng.
Messi is top 2 of all time, the players I mentioned aren't.

DoomSlayer

Earlier this season Juventus scored 4 past Napoli and Koilibaly was at fault in 2-3 of them.
Yes Koulibaly is human too and makes mistakes too but some of you seem to focus exclusively on United defenders errors.

You need to watch.other games to get able to compare.

Also as someone who have been.following the team for the past 30+ years I remember well how then record signing Gary Pallister struggled in his first season. Vidic another great defender also struggled in his first months here, though his detractors like to mention him struggling against Torres.

I could go on forever...top players make mistakes. I prefer to look at the overall contribution a players gives to the team
Exactly. Some even keep mentioning Smalling, when people who watch Roma regularly have been saying that he has been doing bad since the Christmas period and has been making a lot of mistakes.

Koulibaly still has this great reputation mainly because of Fifa and because he has pace. Neither he, nor Napoli as a team are as good as before.

Classical Mechanic

Can we rely on him to defend against the likes of Liverpool's front three, or any other pacey, dynamic attack? I sure don't.

The best teams don't pump cross after cross into the box which he could head out a la the second coming of John Terry which will make him look good. They will run rings around him in the champions league.
This just smacks of what @TheReligion is talking about. Maguire's best games have come against pacey attacks, for Leicester his performances against City convinced Pep to try and sign him. He also played excellent against City for us this season!

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...p-2019-2020-Manchester-City-Manchester-United

Against Chelsea

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...er-League-2019-2020-Chelsea-Manchester-United

He also bossed Adama when we played Wolves recently. It’s pretty damning that you do not recall any of these games.

Messi is top 2 of all time, the players I mentioned aren't.
He had a free header in the box. He’s 5ft 6ins.

Rio also had a lot of doubters for a long time because he was prone to bloopers.

TheReligion

Abusive
This just smacks of what @TheReligion is talking about. Maguire's best games have come against pacey attacks, for Leicester his performances against City convinced Pep to try and sign him. He also played excellent against City for us this season!

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...p-2019-2020-Manchester-City-Manchester-United

Against Chelsea

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...er-League-2019-2020-Chelsea-Manchester-United

He also bossed Adama when we played Wolves recently. It’s pretty damning that you do not recall any of these games.

He had a free header in the box. He’s 5ft 6ins.

Rio also had a lot of doubters for a long time because he was prone to bloopers.
It seems a number of posters here don't like Maguire in part because he's English. Not sure why but just get that vibe.

Marcus

I think Maguire does a lot of good things which enables United to play on the front foot. Some of the errors he is making can be avoided, but his general contribution to the team is very positive.

DoomSlayer

It seems a number of posters here don't like Maguire in part because he's English. Not sure why but just get that vibe.
I definitely agree with that, the agenda against English players on the Caf has been evident for a long time. :lol: I'm not from England, by the way, so I say that as sort of a neutral to this whole pro or anti-English sentiment.

DoomSlayer

It's a weird agenda given United are an English club and have a pedigree of bringing in British players.
True, as soon as you praise a British player, you could easily be labelled "Brexit FC". Maybe not as much on the Caf, but my god, it's everywhere on Twitter. :houllier:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That was the game when I changed my opinion on Maguire, didn't rate him so highly to pay 80 million but rated him as very good CB.

I don't get this slow CBs can't defend against pacy players or can't play high line. It's like people never watched Barca play with Pique or ManUtd with Vidic(he was quicker than Maguire but not exactly quick CB).

Like you mentioned Maguire did well against big teams for us and also for Leicester.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
It seems a number of posters here see Maguire doing no wrong and is overhyped in part because he's English. Not sure why but just get that vibe.

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh, I knew that it was gonna come to that. Poor little Englanders, being hated cause of their nationality.

Unless of course, they happened to be other English players, like Rashford or Greenwood (or in the past Rooney, Rio, Scholes, Carrick, Neville etc) in which case they are cool and we love them. Shit, were they English too? feck, now I need to hate Greenwood.

TheReligion

Abusive
Oh, I knew that it was gonna come to that. Poor little Englanders, being hated cause of their nationality.

Unless of course, they happened to be other English players, like Rashford or Greenwood (or in the past Rooney, Rio, Scholes, Carrick, Neville etc) in which case they are cool and we love them. Shit, were they English too? feck, now I need to hate Greenwood.
And we have found our first culprit!
Doesn't it feel great to be out in the open with how you feel?

Runaway Sue

I definitely agree with that, the agenda against English players on the Caf has been evident for a long time. :lol: I'm not from England, by the way, so I say that as sort of a neutral to this whole pro or anti-English sentiment.
I feel its the complete opposite. English players get way to much leeway. Im not from England either so i guess im also neutral.

Revan

Assumptionman
And we have found our first culprit!
Doesn't it feel great to be out in the open with how you feel?
No, it is fecking ridiculous.

Step 1) Overrate some random English player.
Step 2) Cry racism in anyone else who does not overrate that player.

It has been going for years now. People disliked Smalling/Jones cause they are English, they didn’t like Moyes cause he was British, and only if Lingard was called Lingardinho everyone would have been able to see how awesome he was.

Why Greenwood is my favorite player and why I want to sign Sancho if I don’t like English players?

Devil81

The number of errors he's making is a huge concern given his transfer fee and standing in the squad.

Between him and De Gea we've got the best comedy duo since Laurel and Hardy.

DoomSlayer

I feel its the complete opposite. English players get way to much leeway. Im not from England either so i guess im also neutral.
I remember still being a lurker on the Caf and reading some threads during the World Cup. The anti-English agenda was absolutely crazy, I was really surprised to see it on a Manchester United forum. :D

I wanted England to do well because we had some of our own players playing, just like for any other national team that has United players. But I saw soooo many people absolutely hating on England in every way possible, I just couldn't believe how vile some comments were at the time, it was really weird to see.

Revan

Assumptionman
I remember still being a lurker on the Caf and reading some threads during the World Cup. The anti-English agenda was absolutely crazy, I was really surprised to see it on a Manchester United forum. :D

I wanted England to do well because we had some of our own players playing, just like for any other national team that has United players. But I saw soooo many people absolutely hating on England in every way possible, I just couldn't believe how vile some comments were at the time, it was really weird to see.
It was mostly people taking the piss of ‘it’s coming home’.

And sure, people are gonna root against the better teams. People wanted Croatia to defeat England, same as they wanted it to defeat France. Or Korea to defeat Germany, etc etc. Neutrals tend to go for the underdog.

edcunited1878

He got merked yesterday and was more sloppy on the ball than he has been. But he's a good CB and one of the overall best CBs in the league.

One thing that goes overlooked is the fact that he kept going and didn't hide. Kept bringing the ball out, pushed into midfield, kept fighting. He was resilient and had resolve knowing he let himself and his team down but he got over it and competed. He fought for his teammates. He didn't quit. You damn well know in previous years, heads went down and players didn't show that resolve. That shit doesn't take talent, it takes heart and accountability that United have been missing far too long in far too many players.

Too many people are focused on the physical attributes of him and many players. But you know who really understands sport, football, and how they function as an individual within the team/squad concept when discussing.

Not all athletes play football and football players aren't all athletes.

ghagua

People are comparing Lindelof and Maguire now FFS? Lindelof is a championship level player at best. Maguire might not be the best out there, but he is the best we got right now. He would not have been my first choice, but what's done is done. I have seen our best center half's making plenty of mistakes. Torres of Liverpool used to make Vidic look like a novice every time he played against him. He got sent off 3 season's in a row against him.

What we need to do is get a proper partner to pair alongside Maguire. What we have at the club is simply not good enough. There is the option to move Bissaka there who I think is ideally suited to that role even though he is only 6 feet tall, then we can get a right-back offering support both ways. This way we get to keep the defensive ability of Bissaka in the team. It won't happen though, but I would do that in a heartbeat if we cannot get another top-class defender alongside Maguire.

edcunited1878

People are comparing Lindelof and Maguire now FFS? Lindelof is a championship level player at best. Maguire might not be the best out there, but he is the best we got right now. He would not have been my first choice, but what's done is done. I have seen our best center half's making plenty of mistakes. Torres of Liverpool used to make Vidic look like a novice every time he played against him. He got sent off 3 season's in a row against him.

What we need to do is get a proper partner to pair alongside Maguire. What we have at the club is simply not good enough. There is the option to move Bissaka there who I think is ideally suited to that role even though he is only 6 feet tall, then we can get a right-back offering support both ways. This way we get to keep the defensive ability of Bissaka in the team. It won't happen though, but I would do that in a heartbeat if we cannot get another top-class defender alongside Maguire.
I guess Benfica is a Championship caliber team since that's where he was signed from and made a jump to a club like United.

Victor is at United through 2024 and so whoever the club brings in or if someone within competes with him, fine. But he's first choice and has been first choice for a while now.

Lindelof and Maguire are equal to City's best CB pairing, it's not as good as Liverpool, equal to Leicester and Chelsea at least (probably marginally better).

And last time I checked, all these teams were in the PL not the Championship where you said Lindelof belongs.

Keefy18

Utd were well below par and he got MOTM for scoring a last min winner but hey thats well worth 80 million .
I mentioned it in another thread about binary thinking and extreme thought patterns in society today.

You're the perfect template for this.

Relax.

I wouldn't be his biggest fan myself, but if I was to be fair to him I'd have to admit defensively we have improved and it obviously is in part thanks to him and AWB signing. That's what he was bought for wasn't he?

We've conceded 10 goals fewer than this time last season and 3 more clean sheets also.

The attitude around the club has definitely improved and again no doubt in part thanks to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.