Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What I liked the most was he was under HUGE pressure.

80m transfer fee, constantly compared to other defenders and told he wasn't as good, only 4 days of training with his new team and playing at home for the first time.

He absolutely smashed it. Looked like he'd been with us for 10 years. I feel his calmness spread throughout the team, even when they hit the bar/post we didn't seem flustered.

DoomSlayer

What I liked the most was he was under HUGE pressure.

80m transfer fee, constantly compared to other defenders and told he wasn't as good, only 4 days of training with his new team and playing at home for the first time.

He absolutely smashed it. Looked like he'd been with us for 10 years. I feel his calmness spread throughout the team, even when they hit the bar/post we didn't seem flustered.
It's no wonder Pogba calls him "the Beast". :drool:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's no wonder Pogba calls him "the Beast". :drool:
I feel like this is a signing Pogba respects, which can only be a good thing.

He's made it clear that he wants to be part of a winning team with good players, and Maguire is clearly a step up on what we have.

Having that sort of player and performance behind you must be such a reassuring feeling.

You never know, it could be the difference between Pogba going and staying.

DoomSlayer

I feel like this is a signing Pogba respects, which can only be a good thing.

He's made it clear that he wants to be part of a winning team with good players, and Maguire is clearly a step up on what we have.

Having that sort of player and performance behind you must be such a reassuring feeling.

You never know, it could be the difference between Pogba going and staying.
If we keep on doing well and maybe sign a top DM/CM/AM in January, who knows what the future will be? :keano:

Kag

Walking proof that heading the ball is still an integral part of the English game. He wins absolutely everything. Only Smalling was/is any good in the air out of the rest of our defenders, so it’s a big signing for that reason alone.

Foxbatt

He bossed about on the pitch. If Paul Ince is the Guvnor then Maguire is The Boss.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
he'll probably always be seen as a rip-off unless he does actually turn out as good as VVD (and who knows, he might!) - but he's already showing he's exactly what we needed. I said before we signed him that I don't really care what the fee is as long as he turns out to be the upgrade we needed in defense and that looks like being the case now.

A-man

he'll probably always be seen as a rip-off unless he does actually turn out as good as VVD (and who knows, he might!) - but he's already showing he's exactly what we needed. I said before we signed him that I don't really care what the fee is as long as he turns out to be the upgrade we needed in defense and that looks like being the case now.
I think the only way he will not look like a rip off is if United move up to the level of Liverpool and City. If a player is the missing link for a team like United, he could cost almost anything and still be worth it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah I Noticed he celebrated near the end of the match when there was a block made. He really wanted that clean sheet which is great to see! He was constantly talking to everyone around him and looks like a leader. We often forget how young Lindelof is and he will really benefit from Maguires leadership skills !!
Lindelof is only a year younger than Maguire.

edcunited1878

His composure and natural ease of defending hasn't been seen since Vidic and Ferdinand. While Vidic was all out and a man of steel, Maguire just goes about, strolling along the pitch and marshaling the line. He's not forcing anything, just goes about defending.

It was very comfortable for him and he made it looks very smooth. Lindelof has his partner now and vice versa. With McTominay very combative in front of them, taking up some good positions in and around the defensive area.

For this United team and setup, he's slotted in very, very well. He's a United player, wanted to be here and long that may continue.

United Hobbit

Provided he keeps the same standards or even improves on yesterday I think he will be great to be used alongside Tuanzebe when he gets the odd game here and there as he looks like someone you could trust to give him a little guidance during the game if needed which will help Tuanzebe's development and also be a bit more aware of the need to potentially cover him if he gets a bit out of position. He looks like someone who a younger player could get confidence from playing alongside

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Walking proof that heading the ball is still an integral part of the English game. He wins absolutely everything. Only Smalling was/is any good in the air out of the rest of our defenders, so it’s a big signing for that reason alone.
I’ve been saying it for the past 2 seasons, heading is still a basic prerequisite skill for a CB!

Foxbatt

Heading is still a basic prerequisite skill for any footballer.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If we keep on doing well and maybe sign a top DM/CM/AM in January, who knows what the future will be? :keano:
It doesn't work like that. Liverpool signed VVD but Coutinho still left. Once a player sets his heart there is no turning back

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Have to admit, he was really stand out there. Didn't really notice it with England and Leicester, that's why I was a bit off with the price tag.

But holy moli!! The boy could defend, was commanding, and didn't shy away with the dirty work. Totally impressed! Just my type of centerback. And his passing was really good too.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
His performance in terms of his confidence on the ball and his dominance in the air didn't really surprise me as I had heard a lot about it. I haven't really watched him play week in week out for Leicester.

What really surprised me was his positional awareness, his ability to anticipate the pass or shot and his acceleration. He always seemed to be in the right place to make an interception or head the ball away and he is pretty quick on an explosive sprint. Think we actually have a real gem of a player here and it seems ridiculous that people thought he wasn't worth the investment. Sure it's only 1 game so far but all the positive signs are there.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It doesn't work like that. Liverpool signed VVD but Coutinho still left. Once a player sets his heart there is no turning back
It really depends, Verrati had his mind truly set on leaving for Barca. Him and his agents tried to engineer the move but PSG stood firm, they even managed to make him a long contract and got rid of his agent. That was summer before the one in which they landed Neymar. Every situation is obviously different

SapperBRed75

Cracking debut. To play that way with all the expectation upon him, is a clear indication of his quality. He made everyone in that back 5 grow an inch (Lindelof has the confidence to express himself knowing Maguire can cover), and led by example. Didn’t overplay, released the ball quickly, isn’t afraid of trying the pass, anticipates really well positionally, challenges aerially for everything near him, settles and focuses those around him. Capable, hungry and very happy to be with us. Thrilling to watch our new #5 on Sunday. Welcome ‘H’.

mad1max954

Paul Merson, who is desperate to stay relevant, is on Sky apologizing over his assessment on soccer saturday. Merson actually said that Leicester defend on the edge of the box (which isnt true anyway) and Harry wouldnt be able to cope on the halfway line. just a completely new level of buffoonery. Sky need to get rid of this idiot.

Pace Abuser

I had my reservations. But he was colossal on Sunday. While I thought he was overpriced, seeing Harry compared to Jonny Evans and how he is better, really did make me laugh. There really are some strange opinions on the caf.

People really do underestimate mentality when it comes to top level football. Harry is just impervious to pressure as he's shown, Evans was always an understudy, never a leader or commanding. He was also either completely devoid of confidence or just not good enough at United.

izec

I had my reservations. But he was colossal on Sunday. While I thought he was overpriced, seeing Harry compared to Jonny Evans and how he is better, really did make me laugh. There really are some strange opinions on the caf.

People really do underestimate mentality when it comes to top level football. Harry is just impervious to pressure as he's shown, Evans was always an understudy, never a leader or commanding. He was also either completely devoid of confidence or just not good enough at United.
Evans was terrible in his last season here, as bad as De Gea last season in the last months. A costly mistake every game, he was all over the place.

Him, Jones and Smalling were supposed to step up after being prepared for it for years to take over Vidic and Rio. They all failed. Jones and Smalling are also not good enough to be starters here, their level is below the top 6 one.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Paul Merson, who is desperate to stay relevant, is on Sky apologizing over his assessment on soccer saturday. Merson actually said that Leicester defend on the edge of the box (which isnt true anyway) and Harry wouldnt be able to cope on the halfway line. just a completely new level of buffoonery. Sky need to get rid of this idiot.
Paul merson is a joke clueless to why he has a joke like a legit joke

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Told people that they'd been institutionalised to Jones and Smalling and they're used to that level of defending now. Rojo had come in and hadn't been any better. Lindelof at the start certainly wasn't either but now I think he's an excellent defender but not enough and then slabhead comes in and wins every header like Vidic and plays with the ball like prime Rio and it makes a massive difference to how solid we suddenly appear to be.

There'll be times where we don't like anything like that good at the back and our midfield situation won't help that at all because better teams than Chelsea on Sunday would likely have been out of sight in the first half but it was refreshing to see a commanding presence and he seemed to really appreciate the magnitude of being a leader at OT for United and you could see it bursting out of him.

Lindelof and Maguire for years to come with Wan Bissaka growing and hopefully a better LB than Shaw with De Gea behind? That's building out from the back. Next step is midfield and attack but I sense that with the defence being more solid, the midfield and attack we've got currently might just improve a bit with each week.

lex talionis

A truly fantastic performance overall by Slabhead. I only gave him a 9, but a 10 would not have been out of order.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Have to admit, he was really stand out there. Didn't really notice it with England and Leicester, that's why I was a bit off with the price tag.

But holy moli!! The boy could defend, was commanding, and didn't shy away with the dirty work. Totally impressed! Just my type of centerback. And his passing was really good too.
I've said it for years but he's like Smalling and Blind rolled into one. He has the aerial dominance and strength of Smalling, and the technique, passing, composure and ability to dribble/carry the ball forwards of Blind.

I'm chuffed we got him. I've said it before and I'll say it again - once his career here is finished, he'll have been well worth the money.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I've said it for years but he's like Smalling and Blind rolled into one. He has the aerial dominance and strength of Smalling, and the technique, passing, composure and ability to dribble/carry the ball forwards of Blind.

I'm chuffed we got him. I've said it before and I'll say it again - once his career here is finished, he'll have been well worth the money.
Yeh. And seems like he was always the first one hugging Pogba after the later made those two assists. That little appreciation is good for team spirit.

OldTrevil

Told people that they'd been institutionalised to Jones and Smalling and they're used to that level of defending now. Rojo had come in and hadn't been any better. Lindelof at the start certainly wasn't either but now I think he's an excellent defender but not enough and then slabhead comes in and wins every header like Vidic and plays with the ball like prime Rio and it makes a massive difference to how solid we suddenly appear to be.

There'll be times where we don't like anything like that good at the back and our midfield situation won't help that at all because better teams than Chelsea on Sunday would likely have been out of sight in the first half but it was refreshing to see a commanding presence and he seemed to really appreciate the magnitude of being a leader at OT for United and you could see it bursting out of him.

Lindelof and Maguire for years to come with Wan Bissaka growing and hopefully a better LB than Shaw with De Gea behind? That's building out from the back. Next step is midfield and attack but I sense that with the defence being more solid, the midfield and attack we've got currently might just improve a bit with each week.
He's got a long way to get there, I'll be very happy if he comes close. Rio's passing was impeccable.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Am I the only one here that want to wait a bit 5/10 games to call him the beast ?

Same goes for AWB.

Maguire is twice the player Jones is, but with such a weak midfield he will not be able to defend everything.

I hope that the overall defensive structure will be better than what we saw in the first half vs Chelsea with him as the main man, but I still need time to call him equal to VVD

Status
Not open for further replies.