Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Born leader him isn't he.
Speaking from experience of living in the country, where the government tries its best to restrict internet access, deanonymizes users and sends people to prison for reposts, it's never been better. There's no racism, no hatred and no crime here anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Surprised at some of the criticism as I thought he was good again.

I get what you mean but when you look at what's in front of them in midfield in McTominay and Lingard, I think they know that if they pass it to them in a tight area we're bound to lose possession of it'll just come straight back

We need some midfielders who can receive balls in tight spaces/with an opposition player on them and be able to shield the ball, or dribble/carry it forwards.
I knew someone would say that and I don’t disagree but at times it looked like they were about to play themselves into trouble a few times, a bit close for (my) comfort!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Speaking from experience of living in the country, where the government tries its best to restrict internet access, deanonymizes users and sends people to prison for reposts, it's never been better. There's no racism, no hatred and no crime here anymore.
Are you Russian?

Yeah, let's go full Big Brother because of some trolls on the internet. Should use his massive head before tweeting.

Ekeke

Ok got you. I should admit I didn't watch much of Leicester's games last season, but I watched last game against Chelsea and remember thinking that the central defence was a bit of a mess sometimes, and wondering if this was because they lost Maguire. But maybe it was like that last season as well.
I wouldnt say it was a mess last season, but if you look back at the posts from during last season in the maguire threads there were plenty of posters blaming him for mistakes and goals conceeded. Their defensive record was a couple of places higher than ours last season and ours was shocking. Also there were times when I didnt think he had done as badly as some posters had suggested and didnt think he made as big a mistake as someone else was making out. So I'm not someone to make out that he was worse than he really was, I tried to be as fair as possible. But yeah he was around the same level as Lindelof last season imo and as you know, I dont think thats a great level. Just okay.

Ed9

I see, after a draw some posters suddenly think Harry's not all that. What a surprise, if Pogba scored the penalty he'd still be world class. He was very good again.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I knew someone would say that and I don’t disagree but at times it looked like they were about to play themselves into trouble a few times, a bit close for (my) comfort!
Yeah, it did look that way at times! In the past I would've got nervy, too, but Maguire (& AWB) have really brought some confidence into the defence. Both defensively and in playing it around at the back.

Back to your initial point - I agree even though I see why we don't. We need faster transitions in order to break through teams, and in seeing the progress we've already made off the ball with our fitness, I'm optimistic that our general play will start to improve now, too.

A-man

I wouldnt say it was a mess last season, but if you look back at the posts from during last season in the maguire threads there were plenty of posters blaming him for mistakes and goals conceeded. Their defensive record was a couple of places higher than ours last season and ours was shocking. Also there were times when I didnt think he had done as badly as some posters had suggested and didnt think he made as big a mistake as someone else was making out. So I'm not someone to make out that he was worse than he really was, I tried to be as fair as possible. But yeah he was around the same level as Lindelof last season imo and as you know, I dont think thats a great level. Just okay.
It Will be interesting to see if they both can move up a level this season. There are opposites in ways that complete eachother imo, and they share some features like both seem to be calm with the ball. Hopefully it will develop into something good and long lasting.

Man Utd 1:2 Crystal Palace

lsd

The Oracle
80 million people for a player too slow to cover for any danger he never sees coming anyway .

Get used to that all season

steve88

80 million people for a player too slow to cover for any danger he never sees coming anyway .

Dont get why you dislike maguire i aint seen the game but you seam pleased to try and blame him

Bojan11

He went to cover Shaw who came on stupidly after getting injured.

criticalanalysis

It was poor positioning perhaps on that particular moment but Maguire is basically baby sitting Lindelof every game.

Maguire plays more penetrative forward passes, goes for every aerial ball, drives into space, organises the defence, tell the teams to push forward, is the sole aerial threat at set pieces and even tells Lindelof to take a free kick ffs.

When you have a defensive partner whose best attribute is that he looks less ungainly compared to the other centre backs, you're know you're gonna struggle.

Untd55

Conceding 50 goals last year wasn't just down to our defence, it was also due to our midfield. Only signing Maguire is not going to suddenly make us an impregnable team. It is not going to make our midfield or Lindelof better, either.

We needed to fix our midfield.

I know this is not relevant for the first goal, but it is for the second. Teams just ghost past our midfield with McTominay the invisible and Pogba, who is only good at attacking.

Dyslexic Untied

Slightly at fault for the first goal, won a lot of headers and played the best pass of the game, alas Rashford fell on his arse.
He is mainly at fault for the first. Lindelof can do better but CBs sometimes lose headers. That’s why the first thing you learn as one is to drop off once your partner is going for a header. It is basic stuff and he didn’t. I love the guy though, so that is clear.

Ekeke

He is mainly at fault for the first. Lindelof can do better but CBs sometimes lose headers. That’s why the first thing you learn as one is to drop off once your partner is going for a header. It is basic stuff and he didn’t. I love the guy though, so that is clear.
CBs generally dont lose headers like that after committing to them though.

Maguire has probably never seen such a poor attempt at winning a header

Dyslexic Untied

CBs generally dont lose headers like that after committing to them though.

Maguire has probably never seen such a poor attempt at winning a header
You have to assume they do. That is the covering part. The whole situation read as Lindelof would be losing. He was backing off to reach the ball while Schlupp was coming in fast to attack it. It was obvious that you needed to drop off there.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He was good again.

But its troubling that our CB is our second best passer.

Alabaster Codify7

Not a good game, but he's been good before this one. He'll be fine, but I do feel Lindelöf is going to prove problematic for him - too slow, too weak and shite in the air. I said this summer, don't be surprised if Smalling is back in by October. I'd love to see Axel given the opportunity but I'm not sure how we go about phasing him in.

Would Southampton away be too much of a baptism of fire?

criticalanalysis

You have to assume they do. That is the covering part. The whole situation read as Lindelof would be losing. He was backing off to reach the ball while Schlupp was coming in fast to attack it. It was obvious that you needed to drop off there.
Sure Maguire could have done better but you have to assume that 9 times out of 10 a long from the opposition is well covered by the defender who has the ball in front of him. Notice the wording I used is 'well covered' and not neccessarily 'win the header'. You don't have to win the ball, you just have to affect it enough by jumping and not lose positioning.

Otherwise we would be seeing the opposition winning headers all the time and place their headers in advantageous places i.e to their team mate.

The problem with Lindelof is that he doesn't play with any initiatve until it's too late. In the 2nd half, he started to properly contest long balls and headers. He didn't win all of them but he did more than enough to make the second ball a good one for us.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
He was at fault for the first goal. Yes Lindelof doesn't win the header but that's why you always have the second CB covering when the other challenges for a header. His positioning was atrocious.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was covering Shaw ffs. Fault is on Shaw for deciding to stay even after his injury.

King Andow

Highlight of the game: Maguire telling bad ol' Ash to feck off and calling Victor to take the FK - at 62:00 please @GifLord

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There's no way in hell that a player who shouldn't really need to cover is at fault as opposed to a player who's job is to header the ball but has misjudged.

What did you all think when he directed the freekick and demanded lindelof take it? Young and Lindelof were bamboozled and looked headless.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There's no way in hell that a player who shouldn't really need to cover is at fault as opposed to a player who's job is to header the ball but has misjudged.
I agree, though I think he should have had an eye on Ayew sooner, but the utmost of the blame is still Lindelof. You'd back any centre back to win a header against a 5ft9 winger. Maguire was banking on that, as probably everyone watching was. It was atrocious. I like Lindelof, but that was piss weak.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Highlight of the game: Maguire telling bad ol' Ash to feck off and calling Victor to take the FK - at 62:00 please @GifLord
I'm not sure that's a positive thing for him. Lindelof made a half arse free-kick, so Maguire's telling was actually a wrong one.

Dyslexic Untied

Sure Maguire could have done better but you have to assume that 9 times out of 10 a long from the opposition is well covered by the defender who has the ball in front of him. Notice the wording I used is 'well covered' and not neccessarily 'win the header'. You don't have to win the ball, you just have to affect it enough by jumping and not lose positioning.

Otherwise we would be seeing the opposition winning headers all the time and place their headers in advantageous places i.e to their team mate.

The problem with Lindelof is that he doesn't play with any initiatve until it's too late. In the 2nd half, he started to properly contest long balls and headers. He didn't win all of them but he did more than enough to make the second ball a good one for us.

Maguire can't assume that. I completely agree that Lindelof was poor in that situation. He went up like he was going for the ball alone, without having to challenge for it. When he understood that he wasn't going to be able to go high (because he was backtracking) he should probably have fallen off himself and picked up the loose ball. But Maguire nonetheless hasto assume that the ball might end up in the area behind Lindelof. He has to take out space to cover that area in that situation.

NinjaFletch

Horrible slow lumbering carthorse of a player . Said it when we bought him and it's true . Absolute waste of money
Shape of him running back when they attacked late on . At least 5 Wolves players passed him with ease . He is just so utterly slow . 80 million for that is a joke . Terrible buy and nothing is going to change that no matter how much posters here want to believe it

Terrible wum.

criticalanalysis

Maguire can't assume that. I completely agree that Lindelof was poor in that situation. He went up like he was going for the ball alone, without having to challenge for it. When he understood that he wasn't going to be able to go high (because he was backtracking) he should probably have fallen off himself and picked up the loose ball. But Maguire nonetheless hasto assume that the ball might end up in the area behind Lindelof. He has to take out space to cover that area in that situation.
Don't disagree with the covering bit but it's 9/10ths Lindelof's fault and 1/10ths on Maguire imo.

The issue isn't that Lindelof lost this one ball, it's the regular tendency he has being passive and weak in a lot of defensive actions.

Ekeke said it above quite humourously but accurately "Maguire has probably never seen such a poor attempt at winning a header".

I was shocked and slightly disappointed that we paid such an enormous fee for Maguire but imo he has been pretty flawless. Came into the team with no pre-season, instantaneously raises the standard, took ownership of the defensive line/his own defensive work and then has to babysit a tentative centre who actually does less than him (in responsibility).

I'm willing to give Maguire a pass on this just like I give to Pogba for today's game. The criticism is correct and justified on it own but they both bring much more to the plate than needing to cover for their team mates.

Andersons Dietician

I really liked this as well. Been a while since anyone ever really took command of a situation at United.

Bit sloppy with his passing today but he was trying to thread some difficult balls through but it’s just great to have someone who will direct traffic.

Dyslexic Untied

Don't disagree with the covering bit but it's 9/10ths Lindelof's fault and 1/10ths on Maguire imo.

The issue isn't that Lindelof lost this one ball, it's the regular tendency he has being passive and weak in a lot of defensive actions.

Ekeke said it above quite humourously but accurately "Maguire has probably never seen such a poor attempt at winning a header".

I was shocked and slightly disappointed that we paid such an enormous fee for Maguire but imo he has been pretty flawless. Came into the team with no pre-season, instantaneously raises the standard, took ownership of the defensive line/his own defensive work and then has to babysit a tentative centre who actually does less than him (in responsibility).

I'm willing to give Maguire a pass on this just like I give to Pogba for today's game. The criticism is correct and justified on it own but they both bring much more to the plate than needing to cover for their team mates.
I agree with everything except the math piece in your first sentence. No need to argue that further though:)

el3mel

I just watched the first goal again and what the feck was he doing ? He was literally in no man's land there, not guarding anyone or covering for anything. He should have been closer the player who scored in case Lindelof missed the header because it's totally possible.

I like him but that should never happen again.

Devil may care

Looks like he wants to take on a leadership role which is good, I see him getting some blame on the first goal but I'm not sure if he was stuck between covering Shaw and helping Lindelof as Shaw was injured at that moment, I need to see a replay, but in truth he's not got the pace to get across and cover Lindelof in a situation like that.

PaulScholes99

He should not cover for Lindelöf, but be 1 metre higher and then it is offside. But mistakes happen. He is good, but not a hero.

Foxbatt

yes Lindelof should have headed it but people are forgetting about Ayew. Schlupp could still have won the header and nothing come out if it because Lindelof has gone up to head with him and still lose the header. But it is Ayew that was the cause of the goal. This is where I find fault with Maguire. Why did he let two players to Lindelof? As for covering Shaw he was not covering Shaw at all. He was in no mans land.
My issue with his was letting two Palace players vs Lindelof. If he was near to Ayew it was no goal. He did not have any Palace players to cover from the position he was in.

Renegade

Both young and lindelof didn't know what had hit them which shows you the mentality maguire has compared to them.
People suggested Lindelöf for captaincy as well. That small moment just highlighted the lack of authority and decisiveness in our team. He’ll have the band next season no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.