Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Your logic is weird. What’s one player will do anything to the team? They have the same 10 out of 11 in their XI from last season since Rodgers took in charge, they barely getting injured this season. Unless what they lost is Vardy, it might be a different story.
Well sure losing your best defender should be enough to at least cause few defensive problems.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Liverpool signed a generational talent for £70m to transform their team.

Maguire is merely a good player, for £20m more.

Absolute state of United

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Well sure losing your best defender should be enough to at least cause few defensive problems.
Leicester fan here. I'm sure you're not genuinely suggesting Maguire was our best defender, but it seems to be a common idea on here. Like the Leicester fans said at the time during all the transfer hype, he wasn't even our best CB (Evans, while not being as flash on MOTD, has been a revelation in keeping us calm and shoring up our defense), let alone our best defender. So to see lots of Man United fans on here repeatedly claim that they've signed Leicester's best player makes me feel a bit bemused, and I've finally cracked.

Ricardo won our Player of the Season award last year, and also the Player's Player of the Year. Here is a link from out foxestalk poll of player of the season.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/1...ll-added/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5122617. As you can see, Maguire does not feature heavily. Yes, he was certainly our best defender the season before, and rightly won our player of the season. But back then our defense consisted of Wes Morgan and Danny Simpson (and Fuchs / Chilwell). Since then, we've signed Evans, Ricardo, and Chilwell has improved massively. Maguire dropped off in form after the World Cup year, and since then has been steady, but not rock solid.

So while I was sad to see him go, because I genuinely liked Maguire and thought he was a great defender, it still wasn't nearly as damaging for the team as it would have been as if we'd have lost Vardy, Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans, N'didi or Kasper. Losing any of those - or in Tielemans case, not signing him - would have been much more damaging for us in terms of how integral they are to the way we play and the difficulty in replacing them (Vardy especially - we've tried so many times and failed to find a decent replacement / back up - Slimani, Musa and 'Nacho have all tried and failed).

So I wish Maguire well, but while a pain to replace a good CB, it was never going to be the end of the world, although I did think it would make us weaker in defense. However we've got very lucky with Soyuncu; I'd even venture that from what I've seen of him so far, he's probably a better player (though I'll caveat that with it being early days still). Maguire is certainly better in the air, but Soyuncu is lightening quick and probably better on the ball Maguire can play some great passes and go on some nice runs, but he's also prone to passing it to an opposition forward at least once per game. Soyuncu almost never loses the ball, and to watch him Cruyff turn around opposing forwards is majestic.

Edit: Now if you'd have signed Ricardo, Leicester fans would have been fuming!!

Double edit: Another thing I just had to comment on - I have no idea where this "Leadership" idea comes from. I'm sure he could do it, but he wasn't the leader in Leicester's defense. That was Morgan, and then Evans.

Last edited by a moderator:

el3mel

Leicester fan here. I'm sure you're not genuinely suggesting Maguire was our best defender, but it seems to be a common idea on here. Like the Leicester fans said at the time during all the transfer hype, he wasn't even our best CB (Evans, while not being as flash on MOTD, has been a revelation in keeping us calm and shoring up our defense), let alone our best defender. So to see lots of Man United fans on here repeatedly claim that they've signed Leicester's best player makes me feel a bit bemused, and I've finally cracked.

Ricardo won our Player of the Season award last year, and also the Player's Player of the Year. Here is a link from out foxestalk poll of player of the season.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/1...ll-added/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5122617. As you can see, Maguire does not feature heavily. Yes, he was certainly our best defender the season before, and rightly won our player of the season. But back then our defense consisted of Wes Morgan and Danny Simpson (and Fuchs / Chilwell). Since then, we've signed Evans, Ricardo, and Chilwell has improved massively. Maguire dropped off in form after the World Cup year, and since then has been steady, but not rock solid.

So while I was sad to see him go, because I genuinely liked Maguire and thought he was a great defender, it still wasn't nearly as damaging for the team as it would have been as if we'd have lost Vardy, Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans, N'didi or Kasper. Losing any of those - or in Tielemans case, not signing him - would have been much more damaging for us in terms of how integral they are to the way we play and the difficulty in replacing them (Vardy especially - we've tried so many times and failed to find a decent replacement / back up - Slimani, Musa and 'Nacho have all tried and failed).

So I wish Maguire well, but while a pain to replace a good CB, it was never going to be the end of the world, although I did think it would make us weaker in defense. However we've got very lucky with Soyuncu; I'd even venture that from what I've seen of him so far, he's probably a better player (though I'll caveat that with it being early days still). Maguire is certainly better in the air, but Soyuncu is lightening quick and probably better on the ball Maguire can play some great passes and go on some nice runs, but he's also prone to passing it to an opposition forward at least once per game. Soyuncu almost never loses the ball, and to watch him Cruyff turn around opposing forwards is majestic.

Double edit: Another thing I just had to comment on - I have no idea where this "Leadership" idea comes from. I'm sure he could do it, but he wasn't the leader in Leicester's defense. That was Morgan, and then Evans.
Interesting. Very good insight. I wish you good luck in the league btw.

FireballXL5

Great post, always good to get the inside track from other supporters. If I'm honest, I don't think Maguire's all that.
Watching Leicester last night Jonny Evans was pure class.

Zoo

Really happy with Maguire so far though in the last couple of games he has looked jaded.

I worry about the way Ole uses players like playing Pogba for 90 minutes in the league cup, rushing Lingard back last season against Liverpool, playing Lindelof against Bournemouth when he wasn’t 100% despite having other options.

fps

Great post, always good to get the inside track from other supporters. If I'm honest, I don't think Maguire's all that.
We should sign him.

edgar allan

Unfair to talk about Maguire like this.

We literally loaned out our best defender just to replace him with another instead of partnering them up together.

Has to be one of the stupidest moves ever.
Jones and Smalling having been playing for us this year, that on its own is a significant improvement.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Maguire is good, reliable defender. He's not going to be a liability but at the same time he's not going to transform a team. From an outsiders perspective though, defense certainly isn't your biggest problem. Ok, you need a better LB than young/injured shaw, and to be honest I'm still not quite sure why you got rid of Smalling (I'm sure I remember him bullying Vardy on more than one occasion). But your defense is solid, if unremarkable.

It's your midfield (and then your forwards) that need work. From a Leicester perspective, I think who would I take from the United squad. And it would probably only be Pogba - providing he wasn't injured and could turn up with a decent attitude - and Martial (as either a wide forward replacing Perez or Barnes, which are probably our weaknesses, or a back up to Vardy). Maybe James as a back up. If your midfield and forwards could do their job, then your Maguire and your defense wouldn't be getting nearly as much criticism.

And yeah, Evans has been so good. Like I said, doesn't make MOTD because he doesn't do anything flashy, but he's nearly always in the right place at the right time. Seems to have gotten over the injury concerns that he had earlier in his career (touch wood). He's no prime Rio or Vidic, but he's reliable and rarely makes a mistake. I dare say you could probably do with a Jonny Evans at the moment - he'd be an upgrade on Lindelof, and we should be arrested because at £3.5m, he was an absolute steal.

Reactions: Jippy

fps

If only he hadn't gone to crap under LVG sigh. Loved Jonny but mentally, he wasn't strong enough at the time when we needed him to step up.
This is something which happens playing for such a big club as well, although the failure of so many players to adapt to playing for the club does suggest a lack of warmth and heart at its centre where there should be clear player optimisation plans. Evans’ situation was different t of course and what I remember about Van Gaal’s football was the utter lack of pace in the squad, leaving good players horribly exposed.

tonnas

with him and bissaka we are much more solid so thats enough for me, next step s to invest in 2 good cm and a rw..ps and a coach as well

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They defend with 4 players not 1. Losing one of their main defender of 4 won't change it much. When we lost Vidic and we were still good with Rio & Evans.

mu4c_20le

Very good game today in general play but Ole needs to be looking at how poorly we defended set pieces.
To be fair it wasnt his man, more likely McT or Pereira's. but it seemed like a really good movement from the brighton player

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he covered really well down the left channel for Williams today. Not that Williams was bad - he was great - but he was caught out of position a few times and Maguire stepped in and did excellently.

acnumber9

To be fair it wasnt his man, more likely McT or Pereira's. but it seemed like a really good movement from the brighton player
Why would McTominay or Periera be marking their most dangerous player at set pieces?

Irwin99

Bossed it at the back. Big improvement from what was a slight dip in form.

Foxbatt

He reminds me of Martin Buchan. I am sure the older fans would remember Buchan.

Red00012

What I’ve noticed is how poor he is on the other side of the field.

He has missed a few sitters for Utd this season and I’ve watched highlights of England v Montenegro and he’s headed a ball off the keeper 6 yards out (it actually lead to Rashford’s goal ) He’s genuinely annoyed even when the goal goes in.

But for a £80 million defender he should be sticking these easy chances into the net.

But for a £80 million defender he should be sticking these easy chances into the net.
That's a very strange sentence @Red00012, but even then I simply have to take the bizarre bait.

Rio Ferdinand is one of the best defenders I've ever seen, cost a record fee, yet he scored 11 goals in 504 PL games. In contrast Maguire has 7 goals in 113 games.

What on Earth does a CB's price tag have to do with how prolific he is in front of goal? :lol:

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
That's a very strange sentence @Red00012, but even then I simply have to take the bizarre bait.

Rio Ferdinand is one of the best defenders I've ever seen, cost a record fee, yet he scored 11 goals in 504 PL games. In contrast Maguire has 7 goals in 113 games.

What on Earth does a CB's price tag have to do with how prolific he is in front of goal? :lol:
have you seen the size of his head? His headers should be like a shot

Hughie77

I'm glad we bought him, he's what was needed, he does have a ricket in him, that's the minus point. Otherwise he's been steady Eddie so far, hope he gets a goal I think that would settle him even more, he's had his chances. He was analysed before he came by all sorts on tv, and one point they made was , he was weaker when he was dragged out into wide positions! Well what I've watched of him he's been on the game when he has had to cover out wide.
Overall so far it's a massive plus, just hoped he would get a rest for England, seems no though.

Classical Mechanic

The key error in his assessment is that Maguire had more goals and assists than any other CB in the league in the 3 seasons before he joined us. I fully expect his productivity to increase in that regard.

Red00012

You know what I mean , he’s missed a few clear cut chances. If it was Jones , it would be brushed off and laughed at because he’s Phil Jones.
He’s had a great chance at 0-0 at Newcastle in the 1st half he hasn’t taken and we know what happened after.

But ya if you want to take a comment out of context work away.

Red00012

The key error in his assessment is that Maguire had more goals and assists than any other CB in the league in the 3 seasons before he joined us. I fully expect his productivity to increase in that regard.
I’m talking about his Utd career , I didn’t mention his Leicester stats.

flappyjay

He seriously needs a break, played all our games this month, played on Thursday and is about to start for England again

Sheff Utd 3:3 Man Utd

acnumber9

Shite defending. Over half of our transfer budget on a minimal at best improvement. And I’m being generous there. He was a fecking calamity.

Status
Not open for further replies.