Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
Another poor performance and again no surprise . 80 million to get a player absolute bang average at best

flappyjay

Slow as feck. The ones who were begging for this transfer claimed he had great positioning. We are relying on what little speed Lindelof has

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I was against buying him and every game is another proof to me that we payed 80mil for only solid defender. I don't see difference between him and Smalling at all( except ball playing ability)

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Waste of money, I said it at the time and nothing has changed my mind. Leicester haven't even noticed he left. We could have spent half the money and got someone as good or better.

The post by the Leicester fan earlier this week just reinforces that.

Foolish transfer to persue him to such lengths all summer and then overpay.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When you pay 80 mil you pay it for monster and complete package. Not for player with flaws.
I can't remember when i watched slower defender than him

el3mel

Leicester robbed us. 80m looks like an absolute waste of money for a defender who's not even that big upgrade on Smalling, a squad player at best.

I honestly can't take one seriously when they say our transfer business was good in this summer while watching Maguire.

I wanted him here last 2 summers but I have been mistaken regarding him. Very mistaken.

luke511

As much as I enjoy his ability with the ball at his feet, every defence he's been involved in has been very leaky. Hull, Leceister and now us.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Maybe the purchase of Maguire will finally remind us that a good defence cannot be bought and is the function of a well drilled set of defenders and midfielders.

Said for fecking years that our defence will not be sorted until we have that relationship between the defenders and midfield settled. The problem has never been and will unlikely ever be the individual ability of our centre backs. We have decent defenders, but as a team we are too easy to get at.

Bobski

As much as I enjoy his ability with the ball at his feet, every defence he's been involved in has been very leaky. Hull, Leceister and now us.
Add England as well, when they are not playing the toss most of their groups consist of.

Based Adnan

If he slides to block for the second goal then he's 100% blocking it. Just put a foot out and left it at that. Very poor.

Revaulx

Maybe the purchase of Maguire will finally remind us that a good defence cannot be bought and is the function of a well drilled set of defenders and midfielders.

Said for fecking years that our defence will not be sorted until we have that relationship between the defenders and midfield settled. The problem has never been and will unlikely ever be the individual ability of our centre backs. We have decent defenders, but as a team we are too easy to get at.
Amen to that

dove

He is apparently one of 3 absolutely fantastic signings Ole has made. He would have been ok for £30M but £80M? :lol:

El Zoido

He’s a good defender, but we’re not a good defensive unit. It makes all the difference. Our Fergie teams are evidence of this, we had poor defenders slotted in to solid, established teams, and they looked excellent.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Leicester fan here. I'm sure you're not genuinely suggesting Maguire was our best defender, but it seems to be a common idea on here. Like the Leicester fans said at the time during all the transfer hype, he wasn't even our best CB (Evans, while not being as flash on MOTD, has been a revelation in keeping us calm and shoring up our defense), let alone our best defender. So to see lots of Man United fans on here repeatedly claim that they've signed Leicester's best player makes me feel a bit bemused, and I've finally cracked.

Ricardo won our Player of the Season award last year, and also the Player's Player of the Year. Here is a link from out foxestalk poll of player of the season.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/1...ll-added/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5122617. As you can see, Maguire does not feature heavily. Yes, he was certainly our best defender the season before, and rightly won our player of the season. But back then our defense consisted of Wes Morgan and Danny Simpson (and Fuchs / Chilwell). Since then, we've signed Evans, Ricardo, and Chilwell has improved massively. Maguire dropped off in form after the World Cup year, and since then has been steady, but not rock solid.

So while I was sad to see him go, because I genuinely liked Maguire and thought he was a great defender, it still wasn't nearly as damaging for the team as it would have been as if we'd have lost Vardy, Ricardo, Maddison, Tielemans, N'didi or Kasper. Losing any of those - or in Tielemans case, not signing him - would have been much more damaging for us in terms of how integral they are to the way we play and the difficulty in replacing them (Vardy especially - we've tried so many times and failed to find a decent replacement / back up - Slimani, Musa and 'Nacho have all tried and failed).

So I wish Maguire well, but while a pain to replace a good CB, it was never going to be the end of the world, although I did think it would make us weaker in defense. However we've got very lucky with Soyuncu; I'd even venture that from what I've seen of him so far, he's probably a better player (though I'll caveat that with it being early days still). Maguire is certainly better in the air, but Soyuncu is lightening quick and probably better on the ball Maguire can play some great passes and go on some nice runs, but he's also prone to passing it to an opposition forward at least once per game. Soyuncu almost never loses the ball, and to watch him Cruyff turn around opposing forwards is majestic.

Edit: Now if you'd have signed Ricardo, Leicester fans would have been fuming!!

Double edit: Another thing I just had to comment on - I have no idea where this "Leadership" idea comes from. I'm sure he could do it, but he wasn't the leader in Leicester's defense. That was Morgan, and then Evans.
Top post. Always important to remind yourself that what a player actually is and that what the image of a player is are often quite different.

Revaulx

A myth, he nothing special on the ball.
He used to galumph forward quite a bit at his previous clubs.

Of course all our current and recently departed centre backs would look ok on the ball if our midfielders actually made themselves available to receive it.

A-man

At the start of the season it looked like the other teams were trying to take advantage of Lindelof’s weaknesses. The last 3-4 matches they have instead , successfully, taking advantage of Maguire’s weaknesses.

lsd

The Oracle
He is apparently one of 3 absolutely fantastic signings Ole has made. He would have been ok for £30M but £80M? :lol:

Mourinho would have paid more for him . Maguire was always going to be a bad buy

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I was against buying him and every game is another proof to me that we payed 80mil for only solid defender. I don't see difference between him and Smalling at all( except ball playing ability)
So you do see a difference.

A big one too.

Roboc7

He’s the sort of player that when heard price tag should have just chuckled and walked away. We’ve got him now and he’s a decent centre back but he’s nothing special as I still can’t understand why he keeps being mentioned as an example of a good signing by Ole.

el3mel

Mourinho would have paid more for him . Maguire was always going to be a bad buy
He was quoted at 20m less than what we bought for him last summer.

At 60m I would have actually thought ok that was decent.

At 80m it's an absolute waste. More expansive than VVD ffs.

dove

Well, apparently he is a great buy. Ed uses our 3 summer signings as a proof that our transfer strategy works and we don't need a DoF.

He’s a good defender, but we’re not a good defensive unit. It makes all the difference. Our Fergie teams are evidence of this, we had poor defenders slotted in to solid, established teams, and they looked excellent.
Well said, we need to be looking at why we don’t defend well as a team.

Bobski

He used to galumph forward quite a bit at his previous clubs.

Of course all our current and recently departed centre backs would look ok on the ball if our midfielders actually made themselves available to receive it.
His galumphing forward was the eye catching quality that convinced many, for inexplicable reasons, that he was a top defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.