Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

They are not shit though. Before we have had a great defensive record and often looked solid. Our attack has been a bigger problem for a long time. We have focused on the wrong areas and now have a tiny squad without enough qualify in midfield and up front.
Our CB options were shit for years.

He'sRaldo

He doesn't make a good pair with Lindelof. They're both individually decent though.

Brophs

The One and Only
A much better player than he looks at the moment and a much worse player than his price tag would suggest. I’d tend to think that he’ll improve. This looks more like a good player in poor form, rather than a decent player being found out by the step up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has the opinion here already changed from “all Ole’s signings are great we should give him more money” to “a total waste of a player” or has this just happened on the AWB thread?
It's this place after we haven't won a game.

Everyone is sh!t, Glazers, Ed, Ole, and every single player who did, and didn't play today.

You know the drill by now!

spiriticon

Looks like Woody was right the first time round. Maguire wasn't going to improve on what we already had.

Too bad he relented to pressure. Be your own man, Ed. You know better. :lol:

Jev

I don't dislike him but is he enough better than Smalling to justify an 80 million outlay when we so sorely needed better midfielders and attackers? Absolutely no chance. He's a minor upgrade at best, and you don't spend 80 million on a minor upgrade.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wanted him at United but the transfer fee is ridiculous has done him no favours, too much pressure on him, he's not the type of player that will carry the team. You would think the club should have known that, but here we are.

He will be very good, but you have to surround him with good players. But you don't pay the fee we did for a player like that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought he was absolutely crap today. I mean our whole defence was a shambles, but he was the worst of the bunch.

He's been rubbish for the past few games now.

Kostov

He was bad today but at least he goes into duels and more often than not does something useful. I can’t say the same for Lindelof. Both of them suffer from a shit midfield protection mind you.

izec

I would wait and give him a season under new management. I cant judge players under Ole only. We know that Lindelöf and Fred are shite, but some players deserve some slack when coached by amateurs.

Alexit

Thought he was poor today, can't believe we paid that much for him. Can't believe we spent on defense and are going backwards. Would have liked to see him under Jose though.

Ekeke

Still think he'll come good eventually although Lindelof is performing better at the moment.
For 1 game he did. Everyone has a bad game, he's still been our best CB. Just hasnt been £80 million of improvement, a lot lot less

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What’s worse than making a bad decision? Making the right decision initially and then changing it to a bad one after peer pressure. Shame on you Ed

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I would wait and give him a season under new management. I cant judge players under Ole only. We know that Lindelöf and Fred are shite, but some players deserve some slack when coached by amateurs.
Yeah I agree with giving the new players at least one season before finally judging them.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The pressing needs were/are RW, CM, AM AND Maquire (CB) If we only were to sign one of them it still would of left us well short in other areas.

100% of us were in agreement that we couldn't go through another season with the chuckle brothers, Lindelof, Rojo and Bailly as our main CBs. Maquire was a necessity and the fault lies directly with the club for not at least signing Maquire +1 or 2. If we were only to sign say Bruno we still would of been left defensively frail. The perfect scenario would of been signing Maquire, Ndidi and Bruno and I'm sure we'd now be firmly cemented in a top 4 position. Signing one other instead of Maquire wouldn't have improved us.
I disagree. We had 5 center backs, and 0 right winger. Let that sink in.

Fosu-Mens

His mobility will not improve by changing manager, hence he will not suddenly become a great (not mediocre park the bus) centreback.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Turns like an Oil Tanker, runs like he has no legs.

Rio and Vidic weren't some speed monsters but they both had some, enough to recover from mistakes or bad positioning.

Maguire needs to nail his positioning every time and that's not possible. He'll get exposed many times, especially with a mediocre partner like Lindeloff

Fosu-Mens

Turns like an Oil Tanker, runs like he has no legs.

Rio and Vidic weren't some speed monsters but they both had some, enough to recover from mistakes or bad positioning.

Maguire needs to nail his positioning every time and that's not possible. He'll get exposed many times, especially with a mediocre partner like Lindeloff
And Maguire is not mediocre?

Ekeke

Looks like Woody was right the first time round. Maguire wasn't going to improve on what we already had.

Too bad he relented to pressure. Be your own man, Ed. You know better. :lol:
The scouting team tell him the football side of things. He just gets the money

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
And Maguire is not mediocre?
I’d say he’s maybe.. MAYBE slightly better than Smalling because he doesn’t shit himself every time the ball is passed to him.
40 mil too much but Ole and Ed have a plan, probably involving some mangos too

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I’d say he’s maybe.. MAYBE slightly better than Smalling because he doesn’t shit himself every time the ball is passed to him.
Neither does Smalling

luke511

We bought a right winger. I suppose the sentiment applies to midfield too though.
We bought a left winger that can play on right. A quality signing nonetheless but we desperately needed a right winger and still do.

Fosu-Mens

He's usually pretty solid, just not an £80 million CB. Better than average
In hindsight, we should have bought Evans from them instead.

If we played possession-based ala City at their best with few counterattacks against, then I'd be inclined to agree that Maguire would be good fit... But we do not. Smalling is a better overall defender as long as you don't play tiki-taka. I would rather concede goals due to personal mistakes than it being down to limitations in abilities. Personal mistakes are not something the opposition can depend on.

Ekeke

In hindsight, we should have bought Evans from them instead.

If we played possession-based ala City at their best with few counterattacks against, then I'd be inclined to agree that Maguire would be good fit... But we do not. Smalling is a better overall defender as long as you don't play tiki-taka. I would rather concede goals due to personal mistakes than it being down to limitations in abilities. Personal mistakes are not something the opposition can depend on.
If we're doing hindsight, then it was Soyuncu but I dont think anyone saw him performing like he has this season... Except maybe Leicester

arthurka

All defenders who play in this team will struggle, there isn't a midfield there and they get zero cover. When we start to play possession based football Maguire will become a better fit. That could also be said about Lindelöf, but they are a terrible fit.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
All defenders who play in this team will struggle, there isn't a midfield there and they get zero cover. When we start to play possession based football Maguire will become a better fit. That could also be said about Lindelöf, but they are a terrible fit.
Throw in a passive goalkeeper who's reluctant to ever come off his line and you've got yourself a dodgy defence no matter how much money you spend on defenders.

Litch

To be fair, Maguire is just one player in a long line who gets worse when he joins us.
Beat me to it. The vultures are circling AWB too and it won't be long DJ will be looking to the skies. It's amazing since SAF how these players turn up to OT and never look as good as the team they were signed from, each and every one of them. Sometimes it's easy to blame the players when there is something very very wrong with the club they sign for.....

SAFMUTD

we paid a top fee for an average/good defender, theres a reason why no top club outside the premier league was interested in him. I still dont get why is it a good thing to clearly overpay for a player for the simple fact that he is british?

I mean spanish teams dont overpay for spanish players, nor german teams gor german players, it may be due to marketing or something I guess.

sherrinford

We bought a left winger that can play on right. A quality signing nonetheless but we desperately needed a right winger and still do.
No we don’t. Not desperately, not anymore. We have other players who play from the left, so we have him playing on the right. And not in the same way that Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata or Pereira have played from that side. He is a genuine option in that position and is a better player there than other first eleven players are in their roles, therefore our needs and priorities now lie elsewhere.

Irwin99

Didn't Southgate say he was worried about him playing too much football lately? He looked a lot better at the start of the season. Maybe he's knackered.

I don't think he's been terrible the past month or so but there's been a big dip. There's the odd error like against Chelsea and Partizan (i think it was) but there's nothing too calamitous as yet. He's just not dominating like I thought he would do.

sherrinford

Didn't Southgate say he was worried about him playing too much football lately? He looked a lot better at the start of the season. Maybe he's knackered.

I don't think he's been terrible the past month or so but there's been a big dip. There's the odd error like against Chelsea and Partizan (i think it was) but there's nothing too calamitous as yet. He's just not dominating like I thought he would do.
I haven’t seen today’s game but I thought he was our best player against Sheffield United.

Litch

It's amazing how hard it is for good players to look good in shit teams, why do you think Pogs wants to leave. Harry has to be careful too as he may find himself on the bench at the euros if Utd's form continues to dip.

luke511

No we don’t. Not desperately, not anymore. We have other players who play from the left, so we have him playing on the right. And not in the same way that Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Mata or Pereira have played from that side. He is a genuine option in that position and is a better player there than other first eleven players are in their roles, therefore our needs and priorities now lie elsewhere.
A new CDM, CAM/CF and RW should be top priority, James doesn't change that. What happens if he has a bad injury? We're back to using Mata, Lingard and Pereira on the wing, which is disgracefully bad for a club like Utd. The depressing thing is that's the reality right now and it desperately needs to change. It's the situation we're having now with a Pogba-less midfield. To add I massively rate James and think he's doing a great job on the right.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He is average to be honest
I don't think he's average for England or when he was at Leicester. He's not an £80m player but until we get a manager that can actually set a team up right I'm not going to judge him too harshly.

Status
Not open for further replies.