Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

He is 40-45mil+add-ons player.

It just shows how distorted the transfer market is these days.
Let us not forget stones was bought for around £55m more than 3 years ago and he was nowhere near what Maguire was when we bought him.

You are correct the market is distorted but it is not players fault. People have been over critical when he hasn't been that bad (not pointing at you).

bsCallout

I think playing further up the pitch will exacerbate his weaknesses as he's slow and struggles positionally. He'd be caught out high up regularly.

Yes a great defensive midfielder could tuck in, but personally if we had a great DM then I'd want Maguire to just give them the ball to bring it out; which would defeat the purpose of spending £80m on Maguire
I don't think it's one or the other. You want them both to be able to without the worry of leaving the space. You want more options. A quality CDM allows Maguire to step forward, it doesn't mean the CDM can't. One of Maguires strengths is coming forward with the ball.

Also I don't really recall Maguire ever really being exposed and left for dead. I feel that weakness is exaggerated and it hasn't really been a problem despite his lack of speed. The whole defensive unit has been awful which includes those infront of him. A pacey CDM and CB next to him opens up more options.

A fit Bailly, Tuanzabe or Koulibally type player is perfect next to Maguire. The energy of Somoure, Fred/McTominay and Fernandes with that defence would be unreal.

I'm an optimist when it comes to United.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That was a good goal, there are some players in our midfield that are expected to hit the ball like that and yet neither of them make it look anything more than just dangerous shot that goes wide.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Hopefully that goal gives him a bit of confidence and he can find a run of form.

Dorris

I have seen zero evidence of this.

Also Wes Brown was a starting 11 player in a UCL winning side, injuries derailed him. Brown is English by the way
See my later post re browns nationality. The point stands

finneh

I don't think it's one or the other. You want them both to be able to without the worry of leaving the space. You want more options. A quality CDM allows Maguire to step forward, it doesn't mean the CDM can't. One of Maguires strengths is coming forward with the ball.

Also I don't really recall Maguire ever really being exposed and left for dead. I feel that weakness is exaggerated and it hasn't really been a problem despite his lack of speed. The whole defensive unit has been awful which includes those infront of him. A pacey CDM and CB next to him opens up more options.

A fit Bailly, Tuanzabe or Koulibally type player is perfect next to Maguire. The energy of Somoure, Fred/McTominay and Fernandes with that defence would be unreal.

I'm an optimist when it comes to United.
Fair enough... I'm more cynical in the sense that if we need a Koulibaly next to him and Makelele type in front of him then he probably wasn't the right purchase given budgetary constraints. Smalling-Lindelof with an £80m mobile DM (with Bissaka and Williams that we didn't have last season) would be in my view be far more effective for that kind of system

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The goal is not just mere of coincidence. I remember he had two similar attempts before this season. Can't remember which game was the 2nd one, the first one was in Arsenal Old Trafford game. He got some locker with his long shoot. Great top bin corner goal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The goal is not just mere of coincidence. I remember he had two similar attempts before this season. Can't remember which game was the 2nd one, the first one was in Arsenal Old Trafford game. He got some locker with his long shoot. Great top bin corner goal.
Yep, I wasn't that surprised it went in. I remember him scoring a goal like that last year from outside the box at a tough angle that went right into the bottom corner; giving the 'keeper no chance.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He scored like this once only last year. I'm surprised that people didn't surprised it went in.

I like this Maguire, Jones, and Lindelof combo at the back. AWB is better at tackling but Lindelof positioning and passing are much better addition to this "faux back three" formation.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
First time I have no complaints about him. Hope he keeps this up.

Jordan_mufc

Absolute colossus tonight. Growing into the role of captain nicely too.

Apart from that one shaky moment towards the end he was flawless.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Shaky moment at the back and should’ve probably done better with the header but he was fantastic defensively and showed glimpses of driving the team forward

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
And somehow still managed to give away ball to City around penalty area for clear chance whoch they somehow fluffed, and hardly reacted well to Aguero's disallowed goal. In three man midfield.

Dan_F

Thought he was brilliant. Such a fine line trying to play out like that. Not sure it’s ideal to try and insist on it so much, but the plan was clearly to beat the press and run past the midfield.

LJJT

Fantastic tonight. Last few weeks he’s been the player we wanted and needed. A real beast, even when he fecked up that one time

RedIan

A bloody world class tackle in th efforts half Then that mistake but at least he recovered the ball From it.

Tiber

I think he is great, some people just think it's fun to moan about every signing

Bobski

A 3 at the back is a much better fit for him defensively, allows him to avoid being pulled into wide areas where he struggles, harder to isolate him. He can stay central, read the game and be a strong constant presence. His passing is still rather underwhelming, although his compsure and willingness to hold the ball does settle the team for the most part.

predator

Youth NITK
Proper captain material. His presence and leadership is incredible. You can see how much he loves playing for us and how proud it makes him.

Paul_Scholes18

Very good today. Just that one crazy pass though that annoyed me.
Sadly he didn't score the header he had.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Brilliant performance but people would still find flaws.
Well in fairness, he did pass the ball straight to a city player 8 yards from his own goal. I mean as flaws go it's a fairly big one. 95% of the time that would be the reason the team lost the game.

Although outside of that he was Rio-esque. So overall still a big step forwards.

Andersons Dietician

1 slip up but other than that he was pretty imperious. I went for him as man of the match but I mean DeGea pulled off some great saves and Matic and Fred were also very good.

SER19

Great performance but yes needs to just launch that one he messed up

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Great defensive performance, but seriously how many clear headers on goal has he skied this season? Every time it’s like fecking hell how many is that, and it keeps happening. Must be over 5 now

meamth

Since appointed Captain, he seems like taking more risks going forward. I like that.

Imagine him and De Ligt together..:rolleyes:

AshRK

Well in fairness, he did pass the ball straight to a city player 8 yards from his own goal. I mean as flaws go it's a fairly big one. 95% of the time that would be the reason the team lost the game.

Although outside of that he was Rio-esque. So overall still a big step forwards.
Point is the amount of criticism he has been getting has been overexagerrated. People have already called him a deadwood and some say smalling was better when in reality both are joke comments. Has Maguire been outstanding? No, but has he been crap, no he has not been.

Status
Not open for further replies.