Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Great defensive performance, but seriously how many clear headers on goal has he skied this season? Every time it’s like fecking hell how many is that, and it keeps happening. Must be over 5 now
I think he headed the one last night down and it came of the defenders head because of that and over the bar.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He played well, made a big blunder but apart from that he was good. His recovery run to tackle Sterling was very good and he won almost all the duels. Thought he should have scored from the free kick, I think it was deflected.

Anyways very promising performance and his passing was decent too.

Son

He’s absolute quality and has been most of the season for us. The problem is often his partner Lindelof or Shaw either side. You never know what your gonna get from both of them.

He’s made a few mistakes and needs to get more headers on target but in all honesty there aren’t many better CB’s out there.

Our most well rounded defender by a country mile. I’m hoping Tuanzebe can step up next season and be his partner. We’ll be solid then!

The squad is slowly on the right track.

TheRedHearted

He’s absolute quality and has been most of the season for us. The problem is often his partner Lindelof or Shaw either side. You never know what your gonna get from both of them.

He’s made a few mistakes and needs to get more headers on target but in all honesty there aren’t many better CB’s out there.

Our most well rounded defender by a country mile. I’m hoping Tuanzebe can step up next season and be his partner. We’ll be solid then!

The squad is slowly on the right track.
I do thing Smalling and him would make a strong pair. Taunzebe as well and something tells me Basaka can end up in the center and it may make the most sense. Wonder what a 3-4-3 with Maguire Smalling and Basaka would look like.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I do thing Smalling and him would make a strong pair. Taunzebe as well and something tells me Basaka can end up in the center and it may make the most sense. Wonder what a 3-4-3 with Maguire Smalling and Basaka would look like.
With Smalling as Maguire's partner, never in a million years could we play out from the back with high risk passes like we did last night.

Sylar

His heading is weird. I honestly thought it would be stronger (or at least more accurate)

Also that moment at the end, I dont blame him fully. When he had the ball and was running back, I honestly think DDG needs to go a bit wider to create a better angle for a back pass. When Maguire is being pressed, his only options were a small pass to DDG which would be trouble, or the pass he attempts (which is risky) or just put foot through it and give up possession.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With Smalling as Maguire's partner, never in a million years could we play out from the back with high risk passes like we did last night.
I don't think Lindelof is any better than Smaling at passing personally, especially when being pressed. For what "extra" lindelof gives us on the ball, his deficiencies in defending especially aerially far outweight it.

Smalling and Maguire would be 2 beasts physically, the only issue would be they both like being the dominant CB so against 1 forward teams they'd have to take turns covering.

A-man

I don't think Lindelof is any better than Smaling at passing personally, especially when being pressed. For what "extra" lindelof gives us on the ball, his deficiencies in defending especially aerially far outweight it.

Smalling and Maguire would be 2 beasts physically, the only issue would be they both like being the dominant CB so against 1 forward teams they'd have to take turns covering.
Lindelof has been the best player to play through the line and break the press this season. It worked extra well together with McT who was good at finding small pockets. I have never seen that ability with Smalling.

Last edited:

MS4

He is actually fast, isnt he?
I mean the way he chased sterling. Where did he hide that?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Point is the amount of criticism he has been getting has been overexagerrated. People have already called him a deadwood and some say smalling was better when in reality both are joke comments. Has Maguire been outstanding? No, but has he been crap, no he has not been.
I think he's been pretty bad, with the odd good performance thrown in, but I would give him time to at least adjust before thinking of writing him off. He's shown on occasionshe can be very good.

I'd ban the phrase "deadwood" from this forum if it were up to me. If we got rid of everyone some one on here had called deadwood we'd have about 3 players left.

DCP

He's had a really good start to his Man Utd career. He's obviously now growing in to his role!

slored1

I've already said it and I'll say it again, he isn't much of an upgrade on Smalling and is a massive waste of money.

roonster09

Scout
His heading is weird. I honestly thought it would be stronger (or at least more accurate)

Also that moment at the end, I dont blame him fully. When he had the ball and was running back, I honestly think DDG needs to go a bit wider to create a better angle for a back pass. When Maguire is being pressed, his only options were a small pass to DDG which would be trouble, or the pass he attempts (which is risky) or just put foot through it and give up possession.
Among the CBs who played at least 10 games, Maguire is 2nd in most headers won per game. He is also 4th in headers won %.

In top 5 leagues, he is 3rd in headers won per game and 9th in headers won %.

But like you said, its sort of weird especially when it comes to attacking headers. Thought he would score more goals.

romufc

I've already said it and I'll say it again, he isn't much of an upgrade on Smalling and is a massive waste of money.
We concede alot less chances than last year, with a weaker midfield. He is clearly a massive upgrade from Smalling.

Sylar

Among the CBs who played at least 10 games, Maguire is 2nd in most headers won per game. He is also 4th in headers won %.

In top 5 leagues, he is 3rd in headers won per game and 9th in headers won %.

But like you said, its sort of weird especially when it comes to attacking headers. Thought he would score more goals.
But even some of the headers hes won defending have been weird. Its like ive seen some go out for a throw, or just randomly to places.

cyberman

But even some of the headers hes won defending have been weird. Its like ive seen some go out for a throw, or just randomly to places.
But winning more headers means you win it at angles you shouldnt win it at so of course they fly everywhere.

Sylar

But winning more headers means you win it at angles you shouldnt win it at so of course they fly everywhere.
Oh no I get that. Im talking about ones hes got underneath.

I mean its a minor criticism and I do want him to score more goals for us eventually (but guess we also need to be better at set piece delivery too)

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, used to moan about them a lot. Our players just head the ball randomly while other top clubs cushion the ball to next player and retain possession.

zenith

He was brilliant today. A captains performance, drove the team forward at every opportunity

Classical Mechanic

Ironic really, plenty in here seem to constantly deride him for being slow on the turn and getting dribbled yet the PL's best dribbler ends up in his pocket time and time again.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thought he was very good today, after being critical of him before.

Litch

Quality player that like a few others deserves better around me.....

LJJT

Excellent tonight. Been excellent the last 6 weeks or so. Will be even better when we partner him with some one with some balls

Status
Not open for further replies.