Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lewwoo

His performances aside I think the qualities he brings to the table as captain lift the team. I have noticed a few times in team huddles he is very vocal and passionate and looks to be inspiring the other lads. We have lacked that for a long time.

sp_107

Could get a better defender for 80M? Having said that I prefer to spend that kind of amount on players rather seeing Glazers pocketing it.

I still think he is a 50M player and we paid over the odds because city and other teams are in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Could get a better defender for 80M? Having said that I prefer to spend that kind of amount on players rather seeing Glazers pocketing it.

I still think he is a 50M player and we paid over the odds because city and other teams are in.
Lucas Hernandez cost 70m
John Stones cost 50m and that was few years back then
Issa Diop was set minimum for a 60m by West Ham last summer
Rubern Dias was set for 60m by Benfica last summer
Koulibaly only be sold last summer for 130m

That's how the market goes. There are not many top or world class centre back nowdays. We needed experienced, ball playing with leadership skill centre back at perfect age. Maguire was probably the best candidate available. You won't get anything bargain for proven league centre back at good age.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Very good game again but he must be slowest defender ever. That situation in right corner of our penalty area where he nearly made a penalty; it was like he is running and running and running....

sp_107

Lucas Hernandez cost 70m
John Stones cost 50m and that was few years back then
Issa Diop was set minimum for a 60m by West Ham last summer
Rubern Dias was set for 60m by Benfica last summer
Koulibaly only be sold last summer for 130m

That's how the market goes. There are not many top or world class centre back nowdays. We needed experienced, ball playing with leadership skill centre back at perfect age. Maguire was probably the best candidate available. You won't get anything bargain for proven league centre back at good age.
You convinced me with stats. I agree with you and looks like he is relishing challenge with UTD. Hope with another 2/3 quality signings he can lead us to next level.

Skills

Snitch
Manchester Uniteds monthly wage bill is around £11,856 million for the first team.

This means that Manchester United (*assuming Alexis Sanchez also donates 30%) donates £3,556 million GBP (or £889k every week) to Manchester hospitals. That will buy a LOT of life saving equipment. Bravo Harry, and the players who signed off.
And bravo Manchester United for not instead shaming them to use a chunk of that money, to pay for their non-playing staff. Watch and learn Levy and co.

cyberman

I dont undetstand. So money is the problem? The governments are throwing millions at it so unless theyre donating ventilators thats in their basement then I cant see what this achieves.
It is a great gesture though

Skills

Snitch
I dont undetstand. So money is the problem? The governments are throwing millions at it so unless theyre donating ventilators thats in their basement then I cant see what this achieves.
It is a great gesture though
The NHS trusts are still run on budgets. It's why the govt had to write off about 13bn worth of debt yesterday. Eventually once this thing is over, they'll be asked to pay debts back to the govt by cost cutting etc.

Bobski

Rustiness is to be expected, especially in bigger guys who have to work harder to stay sharp, but still, the manner in which he was left for dead was rather embarrassing.

AFC NimbleThumb

You don’t spend £80mil on a Centreback with such a glaring weakness; needs a faster CB next to him.

For all his runs that end in a sideways pass I’m still far from convinced by him.

el3mel

The goal was a crap moment but the rest of the game I think he did well to be fair, and won a lot of air balls too.

Paul_Scholes18

Shows his big weakness today on being slow on the turn. I thought he defended fairly well apart from that or won many headers at least.

Stadjer

A lot of poster have pointed out this weakness and shortcomings of Maguire but his defenders will just act like it isnt a huge weakness (or that he doesnt have the weakness at all). Maguire is good af certain aspects which is very ‘proper Emglish football’ like heading and being strong but pace and turning are a huge weakness in his game.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It was always his weakness, but we don't conceede often because of it so he gets away with it. But he is easily the worst one on one CB in big space we've had for years. And that's not just him being slow, it's bad defenxing. Blind was even slower but he knew how to defend those situations.

For all his runs that end in a sideways pass
Man that is so annyoning

Paul_Scholes18

A lot of poster have pointed out this weakness and shortcomings of Maguire but his defenders will just act like it isnt a huge weakness (or that he doesnt have the weakness at all). Maguire is good af certain aspects which is very ‘proper Emglish football’ like heading and being strong but pace and turning are a huge weakness in his game.
He is pretty fast once he get going, but he accelerate and turns slowly with that big body.

lsd

The Oracle

Exactly he will pretty much cost us a goal a game and people will still defend him saying he won a few headers .

80 million on a player who has been far worse than Chris Smalling

Deery

Dreary
Jesus he was totally roasted, players will be looking at that and licking their lips

Stadjer

He is pretty fast once he get going, but he accelerate and turns slowly with that big body.
Is he? Maybe he is but at his position there just isnt enough time to slowly turn and after having turned slowly to accelerate to his top speed unfortunatly.

He is good in Ole his counter tactic when he can stay near his own box and just head and duel though.

LJJT

He’s been great all season. Shocking body position tonight he was made to look silly. Give benefit of the doubt being first game back but that was very bad tonight

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That was a pathetic piece of defending. Juan fecking Mata would have made a better attempt at winning the ball. Sort it out.

Skills

Snitch
The problem will be when he's actually asked to play in a high line. God forbid we ever get a progressive coach.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very poor for the goal, apart from that he had good game. I think losing player so easily means this should be considered as a poor game.

Most headers won - 7
Most Interceptions - 5
Most clearances - 5

Shame he was so poor for the goal, otherwise this would have been considered as very good game.

AFC NimbleThumb

Exactly he will pretty much cost us a goal a game and people will still defend him saying he won a few headers .

It won’t be a goal a game but he simply can’t be effective at the elite level.

His lack of agility has cost us this season on multiple occasions; fans claiming his lack of pace isn’t a hinderance are being naive.

He is not & was not an £80mil player; he plays for the club & deserves support but talking him up to be a player he isn’t will only let people down further - needs a fast/physical presence next to him to flourish.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As i said in my previous posts; he is liability on wide space. Slow as feck and on top of that doesn't think in these situations. He stays in no man's land. Neither close attacker on time or goes earlier in defence. And then happens this. Attacker just runs past him.
He has qualities but this weakness is huge.

Stadjer

A goal a game is a bit much ..de Gea could/should have saved and hardly anyway would mention this mistake. He has been run past or ‘turned insideout’ multiple times this season but those just didnt end up in a goal.

But i have said since the beginning of the season i would have rather kept Smalling and bought a midfielder (Bruno for example) and a right winger instead for the 80 million instead of paying it to get Maguire.

He did improve the team though.. just not a 80 million improvement.

KjaAnd

Absolutely amateurish defending for their goal. No idea what he was thinking. As a defender you have to force the defender outside - it's criminal to let him inside like that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I like Maguire but my god is he slow!!! Bailey needs to partner him going forward.
Every time when he fecks up solution is to kick Lindelof out because Maguire is slow. Ok, i respect your opinion but best solution would be (which will never happen i know) to sell Maguire for 60-70 mil and buy new defender who is not that slow.

passing-wind

The key is not the pace of the spurs attacker it's that's he's being led towards the goal from Maguire's body positioning. I don't think rustiness can attend for stupidity, Harry is defending the run like he's a fullback when he's the centre half.

Status
Not open for further replies.