Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I actually think he'd be perfect for our system because we played our best when we dominated matches with Bruno and Pogba running the show, Smalling was at his best under LvG when he played a possession game. Unfortunately he never had the right players for his system. Smalling's supposedly weakness was being poor on the ball but Harry didn't exactly put on a clinic today did he? I think his passing is a bit overrated as well... when we're winning by 3 goals and he has the time and space to pick out a pass, of course he can look good.
To be honest, nobody was good today. Doesn’t mean all of them are useless. This was the worst individual performance I’ve seen from more or less every single United player since Christmas and the worst team effort as well.

I have seen a lot from Italy and Smalling this season. He has not been good lately. He’s been involved in many conceded goals. I am also pretty sure we would not be able to handle the press as well as we do if Smalling was playing.

I agree with you to some extent about Maguire’s passing. Imo he is not good at all at breaking the pressing line and not so good at driving the ball forward (slow). I also don’t think his standard pass to Lindelof is very good. It is often weak and when he passes, Lindelof has to wait for the pass instead of receiving it in front of him in movement forward. But he is very good at staying calm and passing the ball under pressure and it is hard to stress him to mistakes.

cyberman

Its shocking how we have ran him into the ground. He plays 90 mins every game thrughout this

el3mel

Since when being better than Smalling is an achievement nowadays ? When we pay this sum of money we would be expecting better than just average/ok performance.

I wanted Maguire here ever since Mourinho last disastrous summer window but he has disappointed me a lot. Weirdly when I wanted him back them I was in the minority as everyone were saying he'll be that bad. Looks like they were right at this time after all, even if they were saying this just because Mourinho wanted him and they wanted him out.

For 80m it's just a disappointing end result over all to be totally honest. We won't be able to sell or bench him either so we're literally stuck with him for the next few years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Biggest question is this; is this (talking about whole season now) real Maguire or he will be better?
If this is real Maguire who plays every game average to solid then we are fecked.

Stadjer

Proper striker finish.. when Martial has a bad period and people are shouting for a ‘proper number 9’ maybe trying Maguire there is an option. Big, strong, not very mobile and striker instinct finish today...

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
We lost so he's obviously rubbish...

Now I remember why i don't enter these player threads after defeats
There were plenty of people that weren't convinced when we signed him in the first place

kundalini

Good player. Probably contributed a fair amount to our much improved defence this season, though he has been at fault for quite a few of the goals we've conceded. Ridiculously over-priced. Not sure he's a great partner for Lindelof due to their respective lack of pace. Staying fit has enabled us to build a partnership in central defence, which is something.

Very poor performance today. Horrific 2nd half.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
With Smalling, United wouldn’t be fighting for third place and to play CL next season. Also, the positive football we have seen in like 17 out of the last 20 last matches would not have happen with Smalling. He’s been a good defender but he has no place in a team that tries to play the football United have played lately. That’s how I fell at least.
I highly disagree. Smalling played his best football under LVG in a possession system. What problem would he have now? We're not exactly playing a high line right now with Maguire in the team, and his on the ball ability is severely overrated. Difference is, the attackers currently ahead of Maguire are a level above whatever Smalling has had in front of him for the majority of his time here.

I see no difference in the organisation of the defence, than when Smalling was here. In fact i don't even see Maguire as a leader at all. Just because he likes to shout doesn't make him a leader. I see Lindelof covering for Maguire's Iniesta impersonations much more than he ever covers for Lindelof. So who's the one being carried here?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We do have the second-best defensive record in the Premiership. Only 6 goals worse off than Liverpool who according to some has the greatest defender, and defence that has ever existed.

Devil81

Dunno if it's been mentioned but how many clear cup headers has this guy fluffed this season, he's good in the air physically but he's bloody awful at directing a header on target.

And I'd wish he'd stop thinking he's Franz Beckenbaur.

He's dreadful at passing.

mu4c_20le

We do have the second-best defensive record in the Premiership. Only 6 goals worse off than Liverpool who according to some has the greatest defender, and defence that has ever existed.
Well, when you put it like that, then De Gea is also pretty good. It's a shared responsibility of the entire team when you look at team GA. Anyways, I don't think he's that bad, probably a minor upgrade on Smalling, but definitely not an 80m one. At some point you do have to start asking the question of whether it was really worth getting bent over a barrel just to 'fix' our defense as some put it.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
There were plenty of people that weren't convinced when we signed him in the first place
Yes. Me being one of them.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-signed.447781/post-24273039
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-signed.447781/post-24271877

June 13th 2019.

His strengths aren't really needed here imo. Teams rarely have a big lump upfront any more.

A sluggish CB who's susceptible to quick movements and can crack under opposition pressing are fateful weaknesses at the highest level.

Maguire is a decent defender, but £80m+ come on now, Gary Cahill was better than him. He's slow and cumbersome, he is also prone to the English trait of giving the ball away under pressure.

I really hope we stay away.

Is he even a good partner for Lindelöf anyway?

I'd rather go into next season with Lindelöf + whoever, if it meant overpaying dramatically for him.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I take it you're advocating keeping De Gea then?

Sultan

I take it you're advocating keeping De Gea then?
Did I say that anywhere?

I'll trust the manager and the coaching team to do the right thing with De Gea. You cannot throw a player worth millions on the scrap heap. You try and fix the issues behind the scene. Easy for the fans to say get rid. Football and business do not work that way.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Did I say that anywhere?

I'll trust the manager and the coaching team to do the right thing with De Gea. You cannot throw a player worth millions on the scrap heap. You try and fix the issues behind the scene. Easy for the fans to say get rid. Football and business do not work that way.
I was emphasising the logic that you used to defend Maguire. Maguire can't have been bad because we have the 2nd best record....

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He was very poor today, and let's leave it at that because he'd had better games for us before. He's not being rested at all and had a head injury in the game as well - perhaps these lapses of concentration won't be repeated as often next season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We played like a park the bus team until Bruno joined so these stats are very misleading.

We've looked awful at the back since we started to play more. And yes even when we've got clean sheets we've made mistakes. Brighton could have had 2 goals in the second half for example.

Shaw has played well since project restart. The other defenders and DDG though has been awful.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
De gea is taking all the blame while maguire has once again escaped responsibility.
Don't forgot Lindelof covering for Maguire being caught out of position almost every game, yet he gets all the blame and is the one that needs to be 'upgraded'.

Maguire is the Teflon Don.

Sultan

We played like a park the bus team until Bruno joined so these stats are very misleading.

We've looked awful at the back since we started to play more. And yes even when we've got clean sheets we've made mistakes. Brighton could have had 2 goals in the second half for example.

Shaw has played well since project restart. The other defenders and DDG though has been awful.
Playing open attacking football naturally gives the opposition more space to operate and create more chances. Obviously football is about balancing between defence and attack. Over the last 18 games it's worked well. I would rather watch United give more goals away and play an attacking game.

Sultan

He also shouldn't be handed a permanent spot on the team, just because of his price-tag either. Do you think that's fair?
Who do you suggest take his place? Before making such claims you need to have solutions.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Playing open attacking football naturally gives the opposition more space to operate and create more chances. Obviously football is about balancing between defence and attack. Over the last 18 games it's worked well. I would rather watch United give more goals away and play an attacking game.
If you replaced Maguire with Smalling in the team right now, do you think we would see a difference at all?

Bwuk

He also shouldn't be handed a permanent spot on the team, just because of his price-tag either. Do you think that's fair?
What’s the alternative?

Bailly is never fit and can’t be relied upon on the pitch. Total renegade.

Jones is useless.

Tuanzebe is never fit.

We don’t have any other CB?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well said, Sults. There’s a hell of a lot of knees being jerked in this thread. Our defensive record is even more impressive considering AWB is a young player having an up and down debut season at a big club (to be expected) and DDG has repeatedly thrown the ball in his own net.

So somebody has to be doing something right back there. We don’t have a magic force field protecting our goal.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
As would I...... But we won't win anything of real note with that back 5.

Bwuk

If you replaced Maguire with Smalling in the team right now, do you think we would see a difference at all?
Yes.

We’ve struggled with the high press. Imagine Smalling next to AWB - we’d just lose the ball constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.