Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

He needs to play more like a defender than a midfielder. He's making things even more complicated with his silly dribbles, flicks and runs. Just stay in your position and defend ffs.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I was so happy when we signed him. Thought he'd be an absolute colossus.

Still remember his performances against us for Hull, the guy just looked immense.

Have to say I'm disappointed. He has improved our defence, it certainly hasn't been a disaster but I expected more.

He's worse at what I thought he was weak at - pace, particularly on the turn - and not quite as good at what I thought he excelled in - aerial ability, passing out from the back.

There's still time for him to improve.

El-Manos

Still remember his performances against us for Hull, the guy just looked immense.

Have to say I'm disappointed. He has improved our defence, it certainly hasn't been a disaster but I expected more.

He's worse at what I thought he was weak at - pace, particularly on the turn - and not quite as good at what I thought he excelled in - aerial ability, passing out from the back.

You summed up my thoughts. He hasn’t been terrible but definitely not performing like an 80m pounds defender either.

SmallCaine

Red card and give away a penalty after being dispossessed are missing to go full on Phil Jones
God I hope not, but given the week he's had i can totally see him do that, with extra points for facial expressions.

Greck

You summed up my thoughts. He hasn’t been terrible but definitely not performing like an 80m pounds defender either.
Think he was never really an 80m defender. People used to link posts from a Leicester forum and they'd say he wasn't worth the price we were buying him, which in itself was pretty damning because fans are usually delusional about their own players. One post even predicted we'd sour on him when we saw his true level. All the buzz phrases about being worth the fee because he was PL proven, ball playing CB and would have a VVD type impact on the team was just transfer season muppetry

Sylar

God I hope not, but given the week he's had i can totally see him do that, with extra points for facial expressions.
Damn, imagine conceding a penalty vs Leicester that gives them the chance to take top4 over us...

I think there is for him to improve as a United player (rather than improve his ability)
But I think his overall season and contribution has been good for us given its the first season, with a new partner and new keeper behind him.

I think the aerial ability is the one that has had me scratching my head the most. I thought the issue we would have would be actually taking corners to find him (but that has been solved with Bruno). Now hes not even hitting the target from chances that are good for somebody like him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's been overplayed way too much. Playing every matches in all comp. Only missed the two league cup game & one europa league game. That's how bad the situation of our defense that we can't afford to rest Maguire. A decent/good centre back is needed not just to pair with Maguire but also to give this guy a rest.

mu4c_20le

Got beaten in the air once. On the ground he cut out a lot of dangerous balls around or in the box.

Crashoutcassius

I think he performs like what he is - the best defender we could have got last summer. who cares about the money... look what 30-40m buys you in lindelof and bailly... we are so much more improved defensively this year vs other years, maybe masked by 6-8 extra goals from de gea mistakes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
A rock today. We'll need more of the same against Leicester. Especially with our current form.

Mcking

He is the only one holding our defence together right now. He wins everything in the air and has to go across far too much for my liking.

Wan-Bissaka doesn't look that good in defense anymore, De Gea has never being any better than a traffic cone, and Lindelof doesn't do much defending. The less said about Williams, the better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
God he is annoying with the ball, he has this modern english CB problem that he thinks he is better with the ball than he actually is(see Stones too). Just controlling the ball and going in circles with it doesn't help your team at all, it's actually making the tempo even worse.

Eddy_JukeZ

Great defensively, but I really hope someone tells him to stop dawdling on the ball so much. Kills our tempo.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As soon as player is passing the ball backward to centre back, you are pretty much asking the team to restart it again and that's already enough to kill the tempo not because he's dawdling on the ball so much. A centre back dawdling on the ball basically trying to push the whole team forward. If a midfield does what he does then I am more worry about it because it's midfield job to control/dictate the tempo.

He'sRaldo

Great defensively, but I really hope someone tells him to stop dawdling on the ball so much. Kills our tempo.
They do point out passes to him all the time, but he ignores them and dawdles regardless. It's pretty frustrating, hurts our tempo a lot.

Solid enough but he needs to have his wages docked every time he takes more than 3 or 4 touches on the ball.

Lindelof for his own faults knows the importance of keeping the ball moving.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maguire would get absolutely slaughtered for that on here. It's actually reminiscent of Maguire at his worst turning like a barge.

Not to mention if he'd given away all the penalties that De Ligt and Soyuncu have this season. Imagine if Maguire, like Soyuncu, had conceded 3 penalties and got sent off at the most important part of the season like Soyuncu has, that's before you factor in all the micro-mistakes Soy makes that Maguire gets slaughtered for on here.

I thought other CBs are perfect :wenger:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He looks as slow too.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted it, I remembered the discussion when I saw that goal.
I would say just post every time De Ligt makes mistakes like that just to remind people that De Ligt who also the centre back that people dreamed about last summer also makes mistakes or even more mistakes.

romufc

I would say just post every time De Ligt makes mistakes like that just to remind people that De Ligt who also the centre back that people dreamed about last summer also makes mistakes or even more mistakes.
I agree. He has been caught out of position so many times this season as well. Fans say he cost £60m compare to £80m Maguire.

He is on 100k more than Maguire and his agent probably took £20m in fees.

roonster09

Scout
I agree. He has been caught out of position so many times this season as well. Fans say he cost £60m compare to £80m Maguire.

He is on 100k more than Maguire and his agent probably took £20m in fees.
Almost double of what Maguie earns.

romufc

Almost double of what Maguie earns.
Don't also forget 3/4 years and then his agent will be up again trying to get a bigger contract or a move.

Maguire, I can see being more committed to United for longer.

roonster09

Scout
Wonder if United were right about those 'fat genes' because I'm sure he was a lot more athletic only a year ago. He looks to have filled out a fair bit and become really cumbersome.
Maybe it's natural, I mean he is still young player so maybe he is gaining muscles and filling out.

He looks very slow for sure, not just acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.