Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Art

Art the artist
Way too error prone as a Manchester United CB captain. Also needs to cut out that thing where he dribbles past our CMs only to turn around and pass it sideways. You're a CB Harry. Other than that, good signing I guess ?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Should our captain be someone who gets so nervous and visibly shaky?

I think we need a CB, and there are times where I question if its Lindelof we should be replacing or Maguire.

And I've been a Maguire stan since Hull. I just don't see it anymore.

Tony247

He played every minute this year, no rest. Guys, he can be tired too. Although I am not very confident of him, I will not just write him off.

Revan

Assumptionman
His Iniesta impersonification, to only then pass to Lindelof pisses me off, but I thought that he was decent today. Made a stupid tackle at the beginning, but other than that was mostly fine.

He's not great, and neither is his partner, but there are 4-5 positions we need to upgrade before upgrading them. And the ability to stay fit is very underrated, but him and Victor are almost always fit, which meant that they have created a decent partnership, which is a big reason for our good defensive record. You kind of know what you get from them. Reliable players who consistently perform well, but not great. And that is fine for now.

Rashford should have been captain though. Maybe even Bruno should get it. Maguire is too nervy for a captain. You want both a top player, and someone who is relaxed and doesn't get stressed for that position (Bruno and Rashford would be better choices IMO).

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Our biggest problem is that we don't have a centre half pairing that compliments each other. Maguire and Lindeloff are both very good players. Problem is they are very similar. What we need is a left footed defender with a bit of pace to partner Maguire. As it stands right now, Maguire is playing out of position. He should be playing on the right side of centre half, not the left. But because he's the better player, he goes to the left. I'd like to see Ake come in and be Maguire's partner and Lindeloff to become a fantastic 3rd option and to rotate in...

Revan

Assumptionman
Our biggest problem is that we don't have a centre half pairing that compliments each other. Maguire and Lindeloff are both very good players. Problem is they are very similar. What we need is a left footed defender with a bit of pace to partner Maguire. As it stands right now, Maguire is playing out of position. He should be playing on the right side of centre half, not the left. But because he's the better player, he goes to the left. I'd like to see Ake come in and be Maguire's partner and Lindeloff to become a fantastic 3rd option and to rotate in...
They really do, otherwise our defensive record would be much worse.

Actually, are they very similar? Not IMO. Magure is dominant and strong in the air, but has suspect positioning. Lindelof is only alright on the air, but has good positioning. Maguire gets easily dribbled, but is always harassing the opposition, breaking many attacks. Lindelof does never get dribbled, but is quite passive and gives much space to attackers. Maguire is quite slow, Lindelof has decent pace (he easily kept with Vardy today, for example). And they are both decent with the ball.

Sure, someone who has all the strengths of Lindelof and none of the weaknesses (or vice versa for Maguire) would be better, but that is simply cause such a player is better. However, I do not see much wrong with the partnership itself.

forevruntd

Manchester United have 26 clean sheets in all competitions till now, which is the most in Europe.

Lentwood

Overall this season we conceded significantly less goals than last season and I think that’s largely down to Maguire

Yes, at times he can be agricultural and im
sure from time to time he will get skinned and the critics will be out in force

Overall though, he is a good, aggressive front foot defender who is excellent at defending balls into the box and direct passes into the CF

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He gets huge amounts of criticism on here for simply being very expensive and not being Van Dijk, who has made plenty of errors this season, but people like to ignore those for some reason.

Our defence looks much better for having Maguire in the centre of it.

Terminator

I like him a lot as a player. Strong and composed on the ball, decent positioning. Doubt he can ever be world class, but has room for further development.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He gets huge amounts of criticism on here for simply being very expensive and not being Van Dijk, who has made plenty of errors this season, but people like to ignore those for some reason.

Our defence looks much better for having Maguire in the centre of it.
Some of the micro analysis is just terrible, some of the posters just want to blame him for the sake of it.

Kostov

Yesterday was one game in which I felt he was very nervous and shaky, and as expected the knives are out. He is way better than yesterday showing and it's evident, we have conceded 3 more goals than Liverpool and generally our defense this year has been improved. Not only due to him, but he has been a great addition.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hes definitely one of the players on my list who needs to be given the summer off. Played every single minute of PL football. That's some going.

Classical Mechanic

52 apps so far
Most clean sheets in Europe across all comps
3rd highest clean sheet total in the PL
3rd lowest xGA in PL according to understat
5th highest rated CB in Europe's top 5 leagues on whoscored
And most importatly - inclusion in Noggie football expert's PL XI 2020

He can improve but he's done very well overall.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thread is an interesting study in human behaviour.

Hasn't been objective for months.

Now that qualification has been accomplished, maybe a clean slate and some reasoning will take place instead of alliance and allegiances that people feel they must remain devout to to the end.

He's got some downtime now. Will be interesting to see what he comes back as in the EL.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Everybody is talking about Bruno but this guy badly needs a rest too.
Yep theres about 4 or 5 of them who need the whole summer off and these 2 are included in that list. Bruno basically came from carrying Sporting to carrying us back into the CL. He looks dead on his feet.

Maguire looks like he needs a long break too and AWB as well.

theklr

For all his weaknesses and clumsy moments - his composure , mentality, reliability and leadership makes our defence and team so much better.
Easily one of our best players this season.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You do wonder whether he's so slow to release the ball because he's playing on the left with no left foot. Whatever it is, someone needs to train it out of him.

I'm not a big fan of his and there must have been significantly better defenders we could have gotten for that money, but it's really obvious his aerial dominance and reliable fitness have made us a significantly better team this year. Here's hoping we can find a partner to elevate his game next season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You do wonder whether he's so slow to release the ball because he's playing on the left with no left foot. Whatever it is, someone needs to train it out of him.

I'm not a big fan of his and there must have been significantly better defenders we could have gotten for that money, but it's really obvious his aerial dominance and reliable fitness have made us a significantly better team this year. Here's hoping we can find a partner to elevate his game next season.
Don't think it's that because he's prone to the hesitation on his other side, too.

He's gives no impression of being a ball-playing CB to me, so it makes the label more curious as he neither shapes himself or plays out like one with decisiveness being one of the traits you expect to see even if the pass doesn't come off. He second guesses his range vis-a-vis his ability to hit whatever the mark is and then chooses a different course of action. But you can see it happening in real-time, which is just not something associative of ball-players out of the back.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Which defenders would have been better? Koulibaly (apparently, I haven't seen much of him) but he was getting touted at 130m.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Garth Crooks being Garth Crooks:

In fairness.......who else stands out at CB?

City, Arsenal, Chelsea n Spurs don't have any candidates. So you're probably looking at 2 from Liverpool or somebody from Wolves, Leicester or us to play alongside VVD.

The lack of quality at CB across the league this year is clearly evident.

Classical Mechanic

Garth Crooks being Garth Crooks:

Is it such of a surprise? United have conceded 20 less goals this season, are 3rd in the PL for clean sheets, are third for least xGA (only one goal in it between 1st & 3rd), have the most clean sheets in Europe across all competitions, he's the fifth highest rated CB in Europe on whoscored.com and as one of our Noggie posters informed us, he also made their PL team of the year drawn up by their panel of experts.

Brwned

Don't think it's that because he's prone to the hesitation on his other side, too.

He's gives no impression of being a ball-playing CB to me, so it makes the label more curious as he neither shapes himself or plays out like one with decisiveness being one of the traits you expect to see even if the pass doesn't come off. He second guesses his range vis-a-vis his ability to hit whatever the mark is and then chooses a different course of action. But you can see it happening in real-time, which is just not something associative of ball-players out of the back.
Yeah I just can't remember much of him on the right side. I reckon it came primarily from that game against City and a few England games. In fairness he has shown for England and us that he could play in a team that builds out from the back. He can't do it very well but he had the basic competency to allow Southgate to play that style, which was what set the reputation in the commentators' minds and filtered down to the fans. Someone like Vidic would have been obviously exposed in that scenario. I just wish someone would help him accept his own limitations and work around them. It's OK to give the ball to Lindelof because he's the only one who can pass it through the lines, but just defer to him a bit quicker!

Which defenders would have been better? Koulibaly (apparently, I haven't seen much of him) but he was getting touted at 130m.
Yeah I'm not much into watching much footy beyond United games these days but if Bayern and Dortmund are getting Pavard and Hummels for the £30m mark and De Ligt is going for sub-£100m then it seems reasonable to believe there's better value out there. I do understand Ole's desire for an English backbone and it's entirely plausible Maguire will be the 2nd best English CB this decade, with Gomez obviously off limits. It just a puts a limit on how good we can be though. All of our best teams had better CBs than he'll ever be.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah I'm not much into watching much footy beyond United games these days but if Bayern and Dortmund are getting Pavard and Hummels for the £30m mark and De Ligt is going for sub-£100m then it seems reasonable to believe there's better value out there. I do understand Ole's desire for an English backbone and it's entirely plausible Maguire will be the 2nd best English CB this decade, with Gomez obviously off limits. It just a puts a limit on how good we can be though. All of our best teams had better CBs than he'll ever be.
The De Ligt transfer cost a lot more than the Maguire transfer when all was said and done. He's had a very up and down season numerous own goals and big errors from him

He actually suffers from similar weaknesses to Maguire as can be witnessed in this clip

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Him playing through the pain barrier with an obvious injury back around the Christmas period when things looked very bleak for us automatically earns huge respect in my view, and coupled with him having a massive influence on energising and uniting the dressing-room again, means he gets a pass on any on-field errors he might have made.

Definitely a net positive season from Maguire, for me. Hopefully he gets some rest now and has a great second season here after getting his feet under the table.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The De Ligt transfer cost a lot more than the Maguire transfer when all was said and done. He's had a very up and down season numerous own goals and big errors from him

He actually suffers from similar weaknesses to Maguire as can be witnessed in this clip
That's just one clip, here are few more and this is ignoring the mistakes like against Atalanta or Sassuolo where he was turned easily.

Patchbeard

I have a number of Leicester supporting friends from my uni days who raved about his ball playing CB abilities and were understandably pissed when he left, and have then laughed at his sub par performances for us whilst supposedly red card Soyuncu has been better this season than Maguire ever was (revisionism at it's finest methinks :keano:)

So hopefully he will show more on the ball next season. He looks ponderous on the ball, but by second guessing himself it does seem to make opposition players stand off him..which means he does tend to carry it forward quite a distance somehow. Overall I think he's had a solid season with a lot of 7/8 out of 10 performances and the very occasional 5.

Brwned

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he made more mistakes this season. He's 20 years old moving to a much more difficult league, while Maguire's 27 playing in the same league. He has the same deficiencies with more aerial dominance and genuine ball playing ability so is much better value, assuming he can adapt. That's not a small assumption but it's a much better deal than settling for a pretty good defender from my perspective.

Dion

What a twat. Henderson over Bruno and Sterling is not a midfielder
There's absolutely nothing wrong with this for what it's worth, pre-lockdown Henderson was driving Liverpool to results they didn't deserve consistently and only the most imbalanced Man Utd fan couldn't admit that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this for what it's worth, pre-lockdown Henderson was driving Liverpool to results they didn't deserve consistently and only the most imbalanced Man Utd fan couldn't admit that.
I agree, and Bruno has only played 14 games, he hasn’t done it over the season in the PL. Some fans just can’t look objectively at these things.

We all know Crooks is an awful pundit, but he’s right on this. He deserves to be in the team of the year, I wouldn’t give him player of the year, but that’s a different argument.

Dion

I agree, and Bruno has only played 14 games, he hasn’t done it over the season in the PL. Some fans just can’t look objectively at these things.

We all know Crooks is an awful pundit, but he’s right on this. He deserves to be in the team of the year, I wouldn’t give him player of the year, but that’s a different argument.
Yeah it's hard to justify it over how brilliant De Bruyne has been but I'm all for not giving sportswashers awards tbh.

romufc

That's just one clip, here are few more and this is ignoring the mistakes like against Atalanta or Sassuolo where he was turned easily.
Exactly. This is the problem when fans watch the highlights of the great bits he has done. This is exactly the same with Smalling.

There are not that many top quality CB's this season.

mu4c_20le

I don't even think he's Liverpools most important player when they weren't playing well, it's Mane who constantly bails them out. I also don't think it's as clear as you make it out to be, Bruno has put in twice the numbers in half the games played, and his impact doesn't need stating, he literally turned a season around. Some fans like to bend over backwards just to show they aren't biased but I'm not one of those, i just find it surprising that Henderson has been getting so much hype and recognition over something Fletcher has been doing quietly for years.

I don't even think he's Liverpools most important player when they weren't playing well, it's Mane who constantly bails them out. I also don't think it's as clear as you make it out to be, Bruno has put in twice the numbers in half the games played, and his impact doesn't need stating, he literally turned a season around. Some fans like to bend over backwards just to show they aren't biased but I'm not one of those, i just find it surprising that Henderson has been getting so much hype and recognition over something Fletcher has been doing quietly for years.
Strange argument considering Mane was also in his team of the year?

Dion

Bruno is an attacking midfielder who takes every set piece, Paul Merson put in double Roy Keane's numbers in 98-99. You don't measure a central midfielders success by goals and assists. I don't give a feck about Liverpool, I'm just not blind.

And Fletcher was doing it in 08-09, when he was rightly lauded.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I don’t understand hatred towards Maguire. If you Just plain and simple don’t like him, it’s ok. Ignoring/dismissing the arguments based on stats, ratings, xGa - relatively more objective data than just an opinion - is a sign of bias. Maguire was a more expensive buy than VVD (even though his stats Are better this season) - this is what people can’t forgive.

Status
Not open for further replies.