Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Had a good tournament but.... the way southgate set england up to play conservatively suited maguire with his lack of pace and mobility, I do still have my reservations as to whether he can be a good fit for a title winning attacking side...
What reservations do you have?

TheReligion

Abusive
Thought Mings was better in the build up than Maguire actually.

And of course I'm not comparing him to the German, I'm just saying Maguire radiates this aura of someone that's great on the ball. Makes weird rushes that end up going nowhere, dribbles into midfield only to give it back to the left back, loses the ball instantly whenever he get's pressed.

Does a lot of stuff a good CB should do, but the end result is either hoofing it or a pass to someone right next to him.

He's no Ferdinand and not even close to Blind either.
It's at this point you should just log off and save yourself from further embarrassing analysis.

thepolice123

There were instances when he wandered into midfield with the ball, proceeded to shit himself and boot the ball into the stands.

Solid performance otherwise.

Crimson King

There were instances when he wandered into midfield with the ball, proceeded to shit himself and boot the ball into the stands.

Solid performance otherwise.
I think a lot of that was to do with England really losing their way and not reacting to Italy's changes. I'm not taking all the blame off Maguire there, but he wanted to push the team on and attack, but there was very little for him to aim at.

You could see how frustrated he was, which really sums up England's performance from about the 40th minute onwards.

Thought he had a good tournament otherwise. Justified his initial inclusion, despite being injured.

Yagami

Good post resistant
CB of the tournament for me. Though, due to Italy winning, he'll be overshadowed by the Italian boys unfortunately.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'd say the only things Maguire has over Mings are his aerial prowess and his long passing technique. Harry's also not a cnut, so there's that too.

Then you clearly didn’t watch the games then.
It's at this point you should just log off and save yourself from further embarrassing analysis.
Mings reads the game better. The dude actually takes a moment to look at what is happening and where the ball should go. Maguire just makes the safest pass available or goes on a solo adventure into no man's land.

Have you ever seen Maguire:
  • make a penetrating through pass?
  • hold onto to the ball a tad longer for his teammates to make themselves available?
  • Play himself out of a press and not hoof it or pass the ball to someone who hoofs it for him?
  • dribble into midfield and actually use the number advantage to progress the ball rather than shoot from 50 yards out or pass it back to Shaw?
I've seen Mings do #2 & #3 enough for me to have a higher opinion of his ability on the ball.
There's countless of compilations of Rio/Blind/Virgil/Dias and whoever else making these plays. Where's Maguire's?
By what metric is Harry good on the ball, other than looking comfortable and confident having it?
I think the fact that Maguire has a pretty neat long ball in him, but rarely uses it to find a player making a run is very telling.

This idea that Maguire is good on the ball has me very worried that if we replace Lindelof with another CB that's poor on the ball, like Varane, we'll be in deep trouble. De Gea, AWB, Shaw Maguire, Varane, McFred playing themselves out of a press or finding one of our forwards :lol:
We'll have the same problems we did last season. Shitting ourselves when pressed and not being able to break down a parked bus :(

Jesus...

Are you a "cats are better than dogs" person by any chance?
No cat shaming :nono:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If we get him a proper centre back partner, and some real protection in front of them, we could have an actual serious defence next year.

AgentSmith

I think that’s the most satisfying penalty I’ve ever seen. You could tell Donnarumma where it was going to go beforehand and he still wouldn’t have had a chance at saving it.

Maguire was magnificent this tournament, which is particularly satisfying after the emotional nadir he experienced so publicly last summer.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I'd say the only things Maguire has over Mings are his aerial prowess and his long passing technique. Harry's also not a cnut, so there's that too.

Mings reads the game better. The dude actually takes a moment to look at what is happening and where the ball should go. Maguire just makes the safest pass available or goes on a solo adventure into no man's land.

• hold onto to the ball a tad longer for his teammates to make themselves available?
  • Play himself out of a press and not hoof it or pass the ball to someone who hoofs it for him?
  • dribble into midfield and actually use the number advantage to progress the ball rather than shoot from 50 yards out or pass it back to Shaw?
I've seen Mings do #2 & #3 enough for me to have a higher opinion of his ability on the ball.
There's countless of compilations of Rio/Blind/Virgil/Dias and whoever else making these plays. Where's Maguire's?
By what metric is Harry good on the ball, other than looking comfortable and confident having it?
I think the fact that Maguire has a pretty neat long ball in him, but rarely uses it to find a player making a run is very telling.

This idea that Maguire is good on the ball has me very worried that if we replace Lindelof with another CB that's poor on the ball, like Varane, we'll be in deep trouble. De Gea, AWB, Shaw Maguire, Varane, McFred playing themselves out of a press or finding one of our forwards :lol:
We'll have the same problems we did last season. Shitting ourselves when pressed and not being able to break down a parked bus :(

Do you remember that beautiful pass he played to Kane in the first game back?

JTRI

Woefully underrated by some of our fans, get him a competent cb partner with a bit of pace and it will be even more obvious he is one of the best in the league.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
- Yes, yes and yes. He's had a few beauties between the lines at this EURO.
- Oh yes, all too often, he really likes to dwell on the ball :lol:
- Many times.
- Yes.

Are we talking about the same player here?
No 5 Maguire at Manchester United, no 6 Maguire for England?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do you remember that beautiful pass he played to Kane in the first game back?
I also remember him looking like an amateur in that game against Holland. It's about consistency, everyone has great and bad moments.

Since you're an Ajax fan, would you rate his ability on the ball above that of Blind, Timber, Bazoer?

- Yes, yes and yes. He's had a few beauties between the lines at this EURO.
- Oh yes, all too often, he really likes to dwell on the ball :lol:
- Many times.
- Yes.

Are we talking about the same player here?
No 5 Maguire at Manchester United, no 6 Maguire for England?
Harry was essentially England's playmaker in a side that was top dog in all of the games. I thought he did very little given the opportunity. He had his best moments against Ukraine when the match was already decided.

To his credit, out of those defensive players he should be the one dictating play. But being better on the ball than Rice isn't a bar I want for a club that wants to win the league.

Have people forgotten this guy played for us?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I also remember him looking like an amateur in that game against Holland. It's about consistency, everyone has great and bad moments.

Since you're an Ajax fan, would you rate his ability on the ball above that of Blind, Timber, Bazoer?

Harry was essentially England's playmaker in a side that was top dog in all of the games. I thought he did very little given the opportunity. He had his best moments against Ukraine when the match was already decided.

To his credit, out of those defensive players he should be the one dictating play. But being better on the ball than Rice isn't a bar I want for a club that wants to win the league.

Have people forgotten this guy played for us?

Bro you asked if we've ever seen Maguire play a penetrating pass, I mention one of the most remarkable ones this tournament which was all over social media and this is your answer? This seems like a huge agenda.

I would rate his ability on the ball just over Timber's who I'd say is very decent, fast and comfortable on the ball, never panicks, but Maguire's passing sets him apart.

I wouldn't rate it over Bazoer and mainly Blind. Blind is quite possibly the best ball playing CB in the world right now. His passes breaking the line are simply amazing and he keeps and keeps doing it.

Sure Maguire isn't the best in the world on the ball but very well and one if the best in the PL, no less than Dias or Stones either. I'm a big fan of him since his very first match here I have to say, so maybe take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
He's mentally tough as hell, what a player. Need more guys like this on our team.

Came in here to say what a good tournament he had and finding people saying we'd be better off with Tyrone fecking Mings :houllier:

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Thought Mings was better in the build up than Maguire actually.

And of course I'm not comparing him to the German, I'm just saying Maguire radiates this aura of someone that's great on the ball. Makes weird rushes that end up going nowhere, dribbles into midfield only to give it back to the left back, loses the ball instantly whenever he get's pressed.

Does a lot of stuff a good CB should do, but the end result is either hoofing it or a pass to someone right next to him.

He's no Ferdinand and not even close to Blind either.
Is this guy for real??? SMDH

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
There's a guy claiming Mings was better at build up play this tournament and then asking questions if Maguire can cut the lines with a ball.

I like this guy and his imagination.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've become a fan. I was a bit sceptical at first but I really appreciate him now. But he needs a better partner than Lindelof.

lex talionis

What a man.

Since we're on the subject of Harry Maguire, worthy of the captain's armband for England IMHO and not just United, I'd only like to pick apart his heading on goal. He needs to improve on that aspect of his game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's a great player. One of the best CBs around, really. He showed he can compete at the highest level, I don't think many will be disrespecting him anymore.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What a man.

Since we're on the subject of Harry Maguire, worthy of the captain's armband for England IMHO and not just United, I'd only like to pick apart his heading on goal. He needs to improve on that aspect of his game.
He'd pretty much be the best player that ever lived if he could head a ball towards goal

SATA

Not that it really matters but i always thought he should be England's captain instead of Harry Kane. I always like my leading and commanding centre back to be the captain unless his name is Eric Cantona

RUCK4444

Not that it really matters but i always thought he should be England's captain instead of Harry Kane. I always like my leading and commanding centre back to be the captain unless his name is Eric Cantona
Yeah agree.

Showed good attributes for a captain during the tournament.

Would love him to really grow into the role at United and be very vocal on the pitch.

GueRed

Yeah agree.

Showed good attributes for a captain during the tournament.

Would love him to really grow into the role at United and be very vocal on the pitch.
He's been one of our most important for the last couple of years. And he's vocal enough, hence why he's captain.

We need more quality players and leaders not just Maguire and Bruno if we want to win trophies again. Currently it's not enough.

GueRed

Watching the football with and bumping into loads of England fans in London these past few weeks. They love Maguire.

I think he is much more appreciated by England fans than United fans who the vast majority in the past couple of years look to slander his name at every opportunity.

RUCK4444

He's been one of our most important for the last couple of years. And he's vocal enough, hence why he's captain.

We need more quality players and leaders not just Maguire and Bruno if we want to win trophies again. Currently it's not enough.
Yeah I think he's been a good captain for us, been immense for us as a player, very reliable.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

fecking hell what a dumpster fire of a post

Anustart89

Came in here to say what a good tournament he had and finding people saying we'd be better off with Tyrone fecking Mings :houllier:
Calm down, it was one guy and he was slammed by everyone else for that statement :lol:

Did you just open the thread, land on that particular post, skim past literally every other post and then post this awful post?

Status
Not open for further replies.