Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely solid again today.

Would walk into City’s team alongside Dias.
he wouldn’t be running, would he? Given he’s so slow and all that...

Really good today - as he’s been since he arrived, bar a few weeks at the start of this season. I’ve never understood why such a proportion of the fanbase don’t like him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Really good today - as he’s been since he arrived, bar a few weeks at the start of this season. I’ve never understood why such a proportion of the fanbase don’t like him.
Because he cost £80m and doesn't have 99 pace.

Jonno

Completely agree, and it’s simple really - he’s slow, he cost £80m, he’s English, and because of his Greek holiday.

Real shame because he’s one of the best CB‘s in the PL

bsCallout

What was really great to see today was that we played a high line again. People make out Maguire will be exposed behind because of his lack of pace but it basically never seems to happen, even if we play a high line.

Maguire's biggest weakness is if a tricky winger fronts him up, with quick feet they can get round him, but that is so infrequent that a player gets that opportunity.

Because he cost £80m and doesn't have 99 pace.
Completely agree, and it’s simple really - he’s slow, he cost £80m, he’s English, and because of his Greek holiday.

Real shame because he’s one of the best CB‘s in the PL
its mad.

eho were the best two centre halves last season VVD, and Laporte. One has a long term injury, the other can’t get in the team.

he’s never going to be a world beater, but he’s an excellent centre half, one of the best in the league, and there’s no one else we could have bought at the time (or since), who would have done better.

Jonno

its mad.

eho were the best two centre halves last season VVD, and Laporte. One has a long term injury, the other can’t get in the team.

he’s never going to be a world beater, but he’s an excellent centre half, one of the best in the league, and there’s no one else we could have bought at the time (or since), who would have done better.
Please join me in this thread the next time we concede a goal? :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
A good CB playing well, I am shocked!
We would be in a proper CB crisis without him.
Very happy for him.

atkar83

His fee isn't his fault, speed was never part of his game (so we knew what we were getting), but he's available to the team every game. Hard to complain, I'm glad we have him. Every CB since Rio/Vidic has been an injury waiting to happen at some point

Please join me in this thread the next time we concede a goal? :lol:
im sure some of them already have their posts drafted, ready to press send.

too many posters who are more interested in trying to win on the internet, than wanting United to do well.

Sylar

What was really great to see today was that we played a high line again. People make out Maguire will be exposed behind because of his lack of pace but it basically never seems to happen, even if we play a high line.

Maguire's biggest weakness is if a tricky winger fronts him up, with quick feet they can get round him, but that is so infrequent that a player gets that opportunity.
The high line will work even more so when we have Henderson who's not afraid to leave his box or even his line.

Maguire was really good, again

Dante

Average bang
Brilliant defender. It's between VVD, Dias and Maguire for the best CB in the league.

VVD reached higher highs last season, and Dias has matched him this season. But Maguire has done it longer than either and can be relied on to play at a high level 50+ games per season.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
im sure some of them already have their posts drafted, ready to press send.

too many posters who are more interested in trying to win on the internet, than wanting United to do well.
I’m one of those critics of Maguire. I just don’t rate him and he makes me nervous. I can’t help it.

I love it when he plays well and we keep a clean sheet. I just wish he was better and had better players beside him and in front of him. I believe this will happen.

incidentally, I agree that playing with Henderson seems to suit him better.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He’s so good. It’s bizarre that half of our fanbase seemingly want rid of him.

Our defence also looks a lot better at set pieces when we’ve got a goalkeeper who will come and claim a cross

He’s so good. It’s bizarre that half of our fanbase seemingly want rid of him.
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely loved Rio, a true Rolls Royce, but watch this from 58 seconds and imagine this was Maguire and how he’d have been absolutely ridiculed on social media and on here.
These days many fans like to pretend the top players are infallible...

Leftback99

Let me preface this by saying I absolutely loved Rio, a true Rolls Royce, but watch this from 58 seconds and imagine this was Maguire and how he’d have been absolutely ridiculed on social media and on here.

Very true. And they are just a selection of plays that didn't even lead to goals.

Very true. And they are just a selection of plays that didn't even lead to goals.
Evra’s one of my favorite players ever, but imagine this place and social media if Maguire collided into AWB to allow that Kaka goal :lol:

Or if this was Maguire...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/nemanja-vidic-struggles-against-fernando-21943844

We’ve had some great defenders here, but they’ve all fecked up often enough, because all defenders do. Stam got himself sold without as much as a goodbye due some quotes but also by being utterly done by Saha which made Fergie think it was a smart move.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

Excellent player who has had the odd nightmare (who doesn’t?).

It’s Maguire plus one at CB for the next 5 years. We need one new centre back to play with him and we are set.

Have read a few times that he prefers to play Right CB. If we get an LCB, Maguire could be even better.

RUCK4444

Excellent player who has had the odd nightmare (who doesn’t?).

It’s Maguire plus one at CB for the next 5 years. We need one new centre back to play with him and we are set.

Have read a few times that he prefers to play Right CB. If we get an LCB, Maguire could be even better.
Yeah agree. I posted after the game that you can just tell he also has another level he can reach when partnered with and settled with a new CB.

Toad

Should preach this in the De Gea thread also, the poor guy is being made to walk the plank over there.

James Peril

Brilliant defender. It's between VVD, Dias and Maguire for the best CB in the league.

VVD reached higher highs last season, and Dias has matched him this season. But Maguire has done it longer than either and can be relied on to play at a high level 50+ games per season.
He isn’t brilliant. He is an average defender with great heading ability, but is at the same time prone to making silly decisions. Dias has «matched» him? Dias plays in a team that hardly lets in goals and will easily win the league because of it, Maguire plays for a team where everyone kind of expects silly mistakes to be made every game. The revisionism on here is spectacular after a win, we are one Rodri-miss to goal away from not having posts like these, Man City failed to score today because of themselves, not because United were especially good at the back.

Leftback99

He isn’t brilliant. He is an average defender with great heading ability, but is at the same time prone to making silly decisions. Dias has «matched» him? Dias plays in a team that hardly lets in goals and will easily win the league because of it, Maguire plays for a team where everyone kind of expects silly mistakes to be made every game. The revisionism on here is spectacular after a win, we are one Rodri-miss to goal away from not having posts like these, Man City failed to score today because of themselves, not because United were especially good at the back.
Where was Dias today? All at sea for the Shaw goal and the Martial chance. Odd that he doesn't look so great when a team has a go at them.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
City failed to score because they failed to create a match winning chance.
Sterling missed one golden opportunity, other than that Henderson barely had a save of note to make.
United are actually capable of really good defensive displays, take today and Chelsea as examples.
The issue is often Maguire and Lindelof are left exposed by the attacking nature of our midfield and full backs, causing the pressure and hence mistakes happen.
Maguire is a very good defender, as is Lindelof, just they need a bit of protection every now and then in order to show it. Cities defence barely let goals in because they dominate the ball most games and have Fernandinho or Rodri sitting back and holding the middle.
Neither Fred not McT are that type of player, no matter what people try to say.

gajender

It's completely irrational to assume that defenders won't make mistakes even the greatest one but to be fair to Rio this specific mistake was against one of the best PL player ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And let us not forget Pep wanted him. People love to mock Maguire but he is a very good defender.
Maguire was very good today, but for goodness sake, stop using that argument like that's something to be proud of (and that is regardless of how you rate Maguire).

Pep was interested in him but didn't buy Maguire because he decided that he was not worth the fee. It's like boasting about a cute girl that smiled at you but after getting to know you decided that you're not worth the hassle. Pep also has a near-atrocious record with CB in general. Just to clarify — I'm not criticising Maguire here, it has nothing to do with him, I'm criticising this argument that keeps getting brought up.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
It's not revisionism. It's 2 different groups of people. The people who don't like him are straight on here when we don't win (even if we keep a clean sheet) and they dissappear after results like yesterday. The people posting at the moment are those who are more willing to give him a chance.

OrcaFat

Gosh. Car crash.

Kostov

Why are you using this as some kind of praise for Dias and criticism against Maguire? Dias plays in a team that controls the game 90% of the time under Pep, while Maguire plays in a team that has Fred in front of him who can't control tempo or keep the ball under pressure even if his life depended on him.

I've watched Dias and the kid has great leadership qualities and generally rate him as a very very good CB already, who will get only better. but Maguire is just as good at the moment if not better and more dominant in some aspects.

simplyared

Maguire is Ole's first name on the team sheet every week. No doubt about that. If we had another manager it would be the same. He's the best we've got in that position. Going forward there is no CB better than him. Played a captains game yesterday.

Marwood

I don't know if it's younger fans who didn't watch greats of the past or fans who've bought into the media's role in over analysing every error.

But making a mistake here or there doesn't make someone error prone. It's just a natural consequence of playing football. Unfortunately one mistake in a game seems to completely colour a players performance now.

Remember Rio and Vidic were never asked to pass the ball or move with the ball like today's centre backs are. It's a much harder job now.

This might be controversial but Maguire is at least as good on the ball as Rio was. I think even better.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This might be controversial but Maguire is at least as good on the ball as Rio was. I think even better.
It largely depends on what year we're talking about with Rio. His ability on the ball declined quite significantly as he got older, probably more than just about anyone else I can think of (it's an unpopular opinion but I think Vidic had probably overtaken him by the end). Maguire is certainly much better on the ball than Rio was in his last few years, and perhaps even when he was at his defensive peak. Not sure if I'd put him ahead of Rio in his younger years though.

It also depends on why Maguire is so slow at playing the ball out from the back, something that is quite an issue. He's technically a very good passer but he doesn't do it enough and tends to slow things down too much. Is it because HE is slow at it, or is it because he doesn't have any options since we regularly only have two players ahead of him (normally Bruno and Fred) constantly moving and trying to provide an option while the others don't get into space? It is a real downside with Maguire but I'm not sure who to 'blame' for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.