Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternitiy

It's all on Fred. It wasn't the best option for Maguire, but Fred has no excuse for not being able to control a football.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
One of the worst 1v1 defenders i've ever seen. People praising him for the past few weeks for doing the bare minimum how low are your standards?!??!
Absolute shambles of a defender and we'll never win anything with such players in our team.
:lol: literally what I said all last week when posters here were claiming he was "majestic"

Majestic is Vidic and Ferdinand, not harry fake captain, mediocre maguire.

Our fans standards have dropped so low that we get excited that the world's most expensive defender does the basics in a 2 week run after having the worst bit of form the majority of his United career.

These are the same fans that get excited for top 4 and don't care about trophies.

This club is going down the gutter if things don't change soon.

KetilOwren88

Henning Berg said in Norwegian television that this pass should never happened so I guess he hasn’t played at competive level then

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This is your go-to phrase, isn't it?
Only if it applies. I've described the basics of football. if you still don't understand it and think Maguire was wrong to pass that ball to Fred then you obviously don't have a basic understanding of the game. Watch the goal again. It's posted in the post match thread. Pause it the second it touches Fred's foot. If you do that you will see that Fred made a couple of mistakes with a perfectly good ball. First off, he tries to take a touch with his left. Never take a touch there. Secondly, Maguire is giving him that ball because Fred has a clear passing lane to AWB, but it has to be hit first time and hit with his right, not controlled with his left. My over 35 team does this. Surely Fred can. But go on...watch the video and pause it exactly where I said to pause it. Once you do that, come back and tell me what you see and tell me what Fred should have easily done with that pass from Maguire...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Henning Berg said in Norwegian television that this pass should never happened, so I guess he hasn’t played at competive level then
[/QUOTE]

Your man berg is 100% wrong. My midfielder on my over 35 team will ask for this pass if he has a passing lane to a free man. If my team mate understands and can do this pass, surely Fred can too. In fact, I've seen Fred to it numerous times. No idea why he decided to take a touch today. He messed up a simple play and should have passed it first time to AWB open on the right with a clear passing lane to him...

jem

Only if it applies. I've described the basics of football. if you still don't understand it and think Maguire was wrong to pass that ball to Fred then you obviously don't have a basic understanding of the game. Watch the goal again. It's posted in the post match thread. Pause it the second it touches Fred's foot. If you do that you will see that Fred made a couple of mistakes with a perfectly good ball. First off, he tries to take a touch with his left. Never take a touch there. Secondly, Maguire is giving him that ball because Fred has a clear passing lane to AWB, but it has to be hit first time and hit with his right, not controlled with his left. My over 35 team does this. Surely Fred can. But go on...watch the video and pause it exactly where I said to pause it. Once you do that, come back and tell me what you see and tell me what Fred should have easily done with that pass from Maguire...
Fred is useless and you need to come up with a new catch phrase.

tenpoless

This guy went on a holiday during pandemic to Greece, got in a fight and returned half the player. Man why couldn't you visit an English countryside instead and relax rather than risking yourself to be cursed by Zeus.

Last edited:

No it wasn't a bad pass. AWB was wide open on the right flank but Maguire didn't have a passing lane to him. Fred did. All Fred has to do is pass it to AWB with his right foot on his first touch. Instead, he decides to take a touch with his left foot. It was basic football that Fred screwed up. Watch the video posted in the post match thread and pause it the second it touches Fred's foot. You can see a clear and easy pass open to AWB that Fred decides not to make and that's where it all goes south. That pass happens all the time. Hell, even in my over 35 league my midfielder will ask me for that pass regardless of who's behind him because he knows he has a passing lane to an open player. This is basic stuff...
This is the point Fred received the ball. Maguire played it to his left foot, there is no way he can get it out to AWB, and it's far too risky with Vardy close and Fred not being able to know exactly where Perez was coming from behind him. Your over 35s amateur midfielder might want the pass but it's a bit different doing it against 3 PL strikers...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Your point zero sense unless Maguire told him he needs to play the pass first time.

Having said that it was still poor from Fred

yamo123x

Maguire was poor yesterday, but he has been excellent in recent games. Played more games than any other player, must be taking its toll. A few of them looked gassed yesterday AWB, Fred too.

Sylar

This is the point Fred received the ball. Maguire played it to his left foot, there is no way he can get it out to AWB, and it's far too risky with Vardy close and Fred not being able to know exactly where Perez was coming from behind him. Your over 35s amateur midfielder might want the pass but it's a bit different doing it against 3 PL strikers...

He could easily pass it to telles though

Sylar

Or the keeper
For sure, and I don't get Maguire being blamed as it wasn't a bad pass and it's something we see all the time.
but if we're playing out the back Fred has to switch it to the flank to take out two Leicester players from the press
If we're doing the whole playing out the back, then players esp DMs need to take the ball under pressure and be able to pass it first time. Fred took a touch and still executed a poor pass

Cassidy

For sure, and I don't get Maguire being blamed as it wasn't a bad pass and it's something we see all the time.
but if we're playing out the back Fred has to switch it to the flank to take out two Leicester players from the press
If we're doing the whole playing out the back, then players esp DMs need to take the ball under pressure and be able to pass it first time. Fred took a touch and still executed a poor pass
Sad state of affairs, I wouldnt really trust any of our midfield in that position too which says something

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Your point zero sense unless Maguire told him he needs to play the pass first time.

Having said that it was still poor from Fred
I know that I have to play that first time. Surely a professional footballer does too. Imagine making it so far as to become a midfielder for Manchester United and not have awareness of who's around you and not know the basics of the game that I even know??

He could easily pass it to telles though
Telles is a risky pass because of Albrighton.

When you watch the clip you have to wonder what the others are doing. Van de Beek is stood still, Telles has his hands on his knees, Matic is jogging between two players. Maguire did have other options but Fred was literally the only player making any sign he wanted the ball.

Doracle

That’s the point at which Fred has slightly miscontrolled it - so it’s bounced up off his foot. It still shows though how easy the pass back to Henderson is, who could then have passed it to the right, taking 5 Leicester players out of the game. Fred could have also played it out to AWB himself - but I can see why he wouldn’t do that as his right foot is so weak. This is a simple mistake by one player - Fred - so why it is being discussed on Maguire’s thread is bizarre.

Cassidy

1. Take a touch with your left to move the ball open your body, protect the ball and play pass to AWB with your right.

2.Play first time pass to Telles

3. Play pass back to DDG

Im sorry but he could have done any of the 3 above and they are basics for the position he is playing

Sylar

Telles is a risky pass because of Albrighton.

When you watch the clip you have to wonder what the others are doing. Van de Beek is stood still, Telles has his hands on his knees, Matic is jogging between two players. Maguire did have other options but Fred was literally the only player making any sign he wanted the ball.
Passing back is riskier
Look at the space between Albrighton and telles, once telles gets the ball he can hit it down the wing or pass Inside (though cant see who's ahead as I assume Albrighton hasn't pushed on as there's a United player behind him)

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Thank you for proving my point (I don't know how to still shot that). You see the passing lane. It's wide open. And Maguire didn't play it to his left foot. Fred took it with his left foot. big difference. He could have easily played it first time with his right foot. Maguire only gives him that ball because he knows he has AWB open. Sometimes you pass to a marked player to suck others in knowing that marked played has a clear passing lane to an unmarked player. If Fred didn't have AWB wide open I'd be critical of Maguire's pass, but as this picture proves, he did have a clear passing lane that was only closed off once Fred decided to try and control the pass. Fred should know better and takes 100% of the blame for this goal...

Sylar

1. Take a touch with your left to move the ball open your body, protect the ball and play pass to AWB with your right.

2.Play first time pass to Telles

3. Play pass back to DDG

Im sorry but he could have done any of the 3 above and they are basics for the position he is playing
Henderson :p
But yes I agree, I think this should be for the Fred thread (heh) as it's not on Maguire, unless we start telling our defenders play it out unless Fred is the player then bypass bim, which is silly.
Fred for the most part completes the simple passes like this normally, and yesterday he had a shocker

Cassidy

I know that I have to play that first time. Surely a professional footballer does too. Imagine making it so far as to become a midfielder for Manchester United and not have awareness of who's around you and not know the basics of the game that I even know??
Only if you have eyes in the back of your head. There is a reason in football players shout man on. If you pass your teammate the ball and they have zero time (its your responsibility to let them know).

Again I also said it poor from Fred, but the point you made isnt correct. If you play your teammate a pass and they have no time you should tell them. That is also basics of football.

Having said all that I dont think Fred didnt have time to take a touch he did. Problem is his touch was awful

SuperiorXI

Maguire probably takes 60% of the blame as he can see better than anyone the picture but still makes the pass.

Fred also rubbish control. No point in siding with one player to suit your agendas.

spiriticon

He becomes a bit thick under pressure. Once he gets pressed he can't make the right decisions most of the time.

Which is why the short goal kick routine we've been doing lately really makes me squirm.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Only if you have eyes in the back of your head. There is a reason in football players shout man on. If you pass your teammate the ball and they have zero time (its your responsibility to let them know).

Again I also said it poor from Fred, but the point you made isnt correct. If you play your teammate a pass and they have no time you should tell them. That is also basics of football.

Having said all that I dont think Fred didnt have time to take a touch he did. Problem is his touch was awful
If Fred doesn't know that he has players around him then he shouldn't be playing on my over 35 team in centre midfield, never mind on Manchester United. You are also assuming that nobody was talking. As for his touch, he didn't have time if he's going to pick out AWB (as Maguire would have wanted with giving him that pass), but as soon as he did, you are right, it has to be a better first touch and at that point of taking a touch he has two options. Pass back to Henderson (which he tried and fluffed the pass) or boot it out of play...

Cassidy

If Fred doesn't know that he has players around him then he shouldn't be playing on my over 35 team in centre midfield, never mind on Manchester United. You are also assuming that nobody was talking. As for his touch, he didn't have time if he's going to pick out AWB (as Maguire would have wanted with giving him that pass), but as soon as he did, you are right, it has to be a better first touch and at that point of taking a touch he has two options. Pass back to Henderson (which he tried and fluffed the pass) or boot it out of play...
Knowing you have players around you and knowing your team mate just played you a hospital pass / or very dangerous pass are two different things completely and something that you are taught at youth level at most academies as pass appreciation.

GlasgowCeltic

I give him his due, a very good defender the majority of the time who tries very hard to give the impression of being an aggressive, assertive leader of the team, i just don’t find him believable

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Knowing you have players around you and knowing your team mate just played you a hospital pass / or very dangerous pass are two different things completely and something that you are taught at youth level at most academies as pass appreciation.
It was not a hospital ball. It was a perfectly good pass. This isn't 1992. Teams now build from the back and this exact pass will now be encouraged in academies. The game has changed. You make this pass to suck players in. Fred needs to pass that out wide with his first touch. If you don't understand why this was a good pass then perhaps you shouldn't comment on it anymore. I've tried to help you understand but you either aren't getting it, or just refuse to admit you were wrong...

1. Take a touch with your left to move the ball open your body, protect the ball and play pass to AWB with your right. Vardy being there cuts that option off.

2.Play first time pass to Telles Possible, but very risky. And to be fair he probably doesnt see him as he's concentrating on where the 3 Leicester players are. It's not like Telles is shouting for it.

3. Play pass back to DDG This is what he should have done first time, but even that is risky as he needs to hit it hard and he is very close to his own goal

Fred made a complete mess of it yes but Maguire should never have passed it to him. I understand why he did, because Fred was the only one shouting for it, and Maguire plays with blinkers on at times and didn't look beyond that. But still, as our Captain and the guy supposed to be leading our play it was a terrible decision to put him in that situation.

Thank you for proving my point (I don't know how to still shot that). You see the passing lane. It's wide open. And Maguire didn't play it to his left foot. Fred took it with his left foot. big difference. He could have easily played it first time with his right foot. Maguire only gives him that ball because he knows he has AWB open. Sometimes you pass to a marked player to suck others in knowing that marked played has a clear passing lane to an unmarked player. If Fred didn't have AWB wide open I'd be critical of Maguire's pass, but as this picture proves, he did have a clear passing lane that was only closed off once Fred decided to try and control the pass. Fred should know better and takes 100% of the blame for this goal...
Watch the full clip. Maguire plays it with pace to his left side, because that's what players at that level do. There is no way he is getting that out to AWB, even if he was right footed. Telles was the only other possible pass but its still risky and Telles doesn't exactly give the impression he was screaming for it there.

All of this would have been avoided if Maguire had passed it to one of about 5 players in a better position to receive the ball...

AgentSmith

Yes it was an unwise pass by Maguire but that’s all it was. It only becomes a mistake if the person you’ve passed to allows it to.

It was 100% Fred’s fault. He could have gone for anything else and it wouldn’t have resulted in what it did.

He could have passed to a team mate. He could have knocked it long either side of him. He could even have booted it out for a corner.

He could literally have done anything else except take a bad touch and pass it to Leicester’s striker to put him through 1 on 1 with Henderson.

Midfielders at top clubs get put in that position multiple times every single game. The onus is on them to deal with it.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fred made a complete mess of it yes but Maguire should never have passed it to him. I understand why he did, because Fred was the only one shouting for it, and Maguire plays with blinkers on at times and didn't look beyond that. But still, as our Captain and the guy supposed to be leading our play it was a terrible decision to put him in that situation.

Watch the full clip. Maguire plays it with pace to his left side, because that's what players at that level do. There is no way he is getting that out to AWB, even if he was right footed. Telles was the only other possible pass but its still risky and Telles doesn't exactly give the impression he was screaming for it there.

All of this would have been avoided if Maguire had passed it to one of about 5 players in a better position to receive the ball...
I have watched the clip. Several times.And yes, Fred could have easily passed it with his right to AWB. In fact, that's why Maguire plays it to him. He knows Fred is marked but sees the passing lane. Fred just needs to adjust to make the pass. As for Telles, that would have been risky because there are 3 players in between and a long way to go. AWB was a simple pass that I could have even made...

Status
Not open for further replies.