Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen86

Yep, its interesting these so called United fans are now staying out of this thread who criticised him, called him the worst transfer ever.

He has been very good for us, he is quite the calming influence. if he wasn't good, he wouldn't walk into that England team straight from an injury and play every minute since.

The people who mocked him don't even have the decency to acknowledge their mistake.
Many of these people suggest he’s had a miraculous turnaround in the last few months and that they were fully justified in calling him shit, overpriced, overenglish, the worst transfer ever etc.

Basically, people won’t admit they were wrong.

romufc

Many of these people suggest he’s had a miraculous turnaround in the last few months and that they were fully justified in calling him shit, overpriced, overenglish, the worst transfer ever etc.

Basically, people won’t admit they were wrong.
Agreed. Well it is because many of those fans think that we shouldn't concede a goal, it has to be the CB fault if we concede. Unfortunately, in football you will concede goals.

I have seen people call Laporte world class, he has barely played in 2 years, cant get into the City team and he's world class.

The agenda against Maguire is because he was Ole's signing and we paid £80m.

Zen86

Agreed. Well it is because many of those fans think that we shouldn't concede a goal, it has to be the CB fault if we concede. Unfortunately, in football you will concede goals.

I have seen people call Laporte world class, he has barely played in 2 years, cant get into the City team and he's world class.

The agenda against Maguire is because he was Ole's signing and we paid £80m.
There’s also sadly an anti English element to it as well. Brexit United was the term I believe.

Dante

Average bang
Harry Maguire has always been a top player. He's been playing at a high level ever since he joined. It's misleading to claim he's turned his form around. This is how good he's been all along.

I think what's actually happened is that the Maguire- haters all started the season as terrible posters. Thye've have gradually improved and become more knowledgeable about football as time has passed. Their posting form on the Caf used to be utter shit but is now much better. It's them that deserve the credit for turning the corner.

Last edited:

Zen86

Yep, which is quite weird to see from a United fan base point of view.
Indeed. Imagine going onto a PSG forum and vocalising your dislike for French players, or Italian players on a Juventus forum. Bizarre.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Indeed. Imagine going onto a PSG forum and vocalising your dislike for French players, or Italian players on a Juventus forum. Bizarre.
I don't hate england but it's understandable and I imagine same for Juve and Barca and any global brand. NBA watchers from around the world shit on u.s.a

Zen86

I don't hate england but it's understandable and I imagine same for Juve and Barca and any global brand. NBA watchers from around the world shit on u.s.a
If you disagree with the USAs politics or otherwise aren’t particularly fond of its actions as a country then yeah maybe I can understand that. But if you dislike American people and American basketball players then I would think the NBA isn’t the place for you to be.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He has been in the tournament. Lets hope he keeps it up
He has been ever since he joined us. It's just taken performances on another team for many United supporters to finally see what we've had all along. Maguire is one of the best central defenders in the world and has been for a couple years now...

shamans

He has been ever since he joined us. It's just taken performances on another team for many United supporters to finally see what we've had all along. Maguire is one of the best central defenders in the world and has been for a couple years now...
Yep. Funny how the tide turns. I'm glad maguire is getting his due but annoys me how for years he was considered not much of an upgrade over Smalling.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He has been in the tournament. Lets hope he keeps it up
No. Loooooong before this tournament. He showed he was a potentially top class cb at Hull, proved it at Leicester and during the 2018 world cup, and that's why us and City wanted him.
Harry Maguire has always been a top player. He's been playing at a high level ever since he joined. It's misleading to claim he's turned his form around. This is how good he's been all along.

I think what's actually happened is that the Maguire- haters all started the season as terrible posters. Thye've have gradually improved and become more knowledgeable about football as time has passed. Their posting form on the Caf used to be utter shit but is now much better. It's them that deserve the credit for turning the corner.
Love it!

Paul_Scholes18

Yep. Funny how the tide turns. I'm glad maguire is getting his due but annoys me how for years he was considered not much of an upgrade over Smalling.
Well I was one of those that did not want to spend that big money on him. Although it has proven to be a good call I think. I really rate Maguire now far more than back then and he had a great season for us.
I think we should have went for Bruno and a striker first though or kept Lukaku if we did not want another striker more suited for us.

Ekeke

No. Loooooong before this tournament. He showed he was a potentially top class cb at Hull, proved it at Leicester and during the 2018 world cup, and that's why us and City wanted him.

Love it!
We wanted him because hes English. If he was a "potentially top class cb" at Hull and Leicester you'd have Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and the rest after him. He was the best of the British CBs available, thats also why the price was sky high.

shamans

Well I was one of those that did not want to spend that big money on him. Although it has proven to be a good call I think. I really rate Maguire now far more than back then and he had a great season for us.
I think we should have went for Bruno and a striker first though or kept Lukaku if we did not want another striker more suited for us.
All of that is fair but saying he's just as good as Smalling or Lindelof or sharing those stupid twitter montages of him being at defending was so dumb.

criticalanalysis

Very late reply, but since we had an exchange.. And Maguire is well above average on the ball? His dribling is good, he certainly isn’t «dictating» our play to a high standard, that’s just patently untrue. If he did, we wouldn’t look like tools trying to play out from the back. That aspect of his game is certainly overrated. Lindelöf whom you seem not to rate is a lot more adventurous in his forward passing.

Vidic scored a lot more goals, so saying Maguire is better offensively is a hard sell for me. Also, to your argument about the players around him, didn’t our clean sheet record come with Brown at RB and Evans as Vidic’ partner?

Not trying to put Harry down, mind, I think he is one of the best right now, but Vidic was something else.
1) Maguire is indeed well above average on the ball.
2) For a central defender he definitely one of our influential players in build up play. Can he better? Of course but that applies to everyone.
3) In no world is Lindelof more adventurous in his passing other than a few good long balls. That's a ludicrous claim and I think you're well in the minority here. Even Lindelof's most ardent fans wouldn't boldly claim that :confused:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire has been my highest player rating at 7.2. I knew he had been one of our most important player this season and he continue to deliver for both his club and country. Bruno 2nd highest at 7.0.

Handré1990

1) Maguire is indeed well above average on the ball.
2) For a central defender he definitely one of our influential players in build up play. Can he better? Of course but that applies to everyone.
3) In no world is Lindelof more adventurous in his passing other than a few good long balls. That's a ludicrous claim and I think you're well in the minority here. Even Lindelof's most ardent fans wouldn't boldly claim that :confused:
He doesn’t do it consistently no, but yes, he’s a lot better at it than Harry. I’m not a fan of Lindelöf. Harry is influential in taking his sweet time and making sure we always get closed down trying to play out from the back. In no way has his influence in build up been good for United.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He really hasn't. 19/20 he was decent overall, nothing more. He had some periods where he was good but also some periods where he was poor. There was a lot of inconsistency there. Then he obviously struggled for the first couple of months in 20/21. He was class in the second half of the season though, and if he continues with that (such as he has in the Euro's) then we can talk about him being up amongst the best.

I've been a Maguire fan since he was at Hull so I'm certainly not biased against him. But I was fairly disappointed with his performances for us for his first 16 months or so. It took him that long to really start showing what I was expecting all along.

Marwood

I always said that Harry is a good defender but he has his flaws.
United need to bring in a defender that could compliment him.
Almost every player on the planet has flaws.

It's been lost somewhere along the line that players can have a flaw and still be really good.

There's an expectation and demand for perfection now. Particularly with defenders who with playing out from the back and harsh refs have it harder than ever.

We wanted him because hes English. If he was a "potentially top class cb" at Hull and Leicester you'd have Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and the rest after him. He was the best of the British CBs available, thats also why the price was sky high.
Ah yes, Barca and Real, clubs famous for spunking massive amounts on CB’s :lol:

Weird they all let Liverpool have a free run at VVD also, one might think there’s a pattern there.

Tapori

He's had a handful of poor games, name me a player who hasn't. He also went through a brief spell of poor form at the beginning of last season due to fatigue and the controversy over the summer. Besides that he's been generally excellent considering the circumstances
Good. He was at fault for a number of key moments during our season and had very inconsistent if not awful form at crucial times throughout the 1st half of the season and beginning of the 2nd half.

The fact that this point, his role as Club Captain and his tactical play for our United team, being criticized is somehow mutually exclusive to his excellent International form in this tournament, shows many posters may have differing ideas around what criticism means or have an all or nothing approach.

One does not necessarily invalidate the other. This is not a black and white issue. See: Luke Shaw.
Luke Shaw was demonstrably playing awfully for a number of seasons and was palpably not at his fittest or looking after himself in peak condition and was being found out at the highest level tactically notwithstanding Mourinho's awful man-management; and yet he has improved markedly. Both can be correct.

Tapori

Almost every player on the planet has flaws.

It's been lost somewhere along the line that players can have a flaw and still be really good.

There's an expectation and demand for perfection now. Particularly with defenders who with playing out from the back and harsh refs have it harder than ever.
Maguire's issues were and have been detailed.
England play entirely different to United.
This is not about "Pefection," it's about effectiveness.
For us he is our best central defender but he has and will have to grow and adapt in key game moments for us and hopefully this international performance will do him the world of good to achieve the level of Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam et al. I hope he does.

Zen86

Good. He was at fault for a number of key moments during our season and had very inconsistent if not awful form at crucial times throughout the 1st half of the season and beginning of the 2nd half.

The fact that this point, his role as Club Captain and his tactical play for our United team, being criticized is somehow mutually exclusive to his excellent International form in this tournament, shows many posters may have differing ideas around what criticism means or have an all or nothing approach.

One does not necessarily invalidate the other. This is not a black and white issue. See: Luke Shaw.
Luke Shaw was demonstrably playing awfully for a number of seasons and was palpably not at his fittest or looking after himself in peak condition and was being found out at the highest level tactically notwithstanding Mourinho's awful man-management; and yet he has improved markedly. Both can be correct.
Well, ignoring the fact that every mistake was rightly or wrong attributed to him, which has been a typical characteristic of the lot who basically called him a shit defender at every turn, name me a defender who doesn’t make mistakes. He will no doubt doubt make mistakes this coming season again, will that flip your kneejerk opinion once again?

And besides, you’re making things up. He hasn’t displayed awful form at key moments of the season at all. He was ropey for a few games at the beginning of the season for very well documented reasons. That’s it. His situation isn’t comparable to Shaw, either.

You should just do yourself a favour and admit you were wrong about him, but no doubt you’ll continue deluding yourself. Nobody is ever wrong on the internet after all.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Very late reply, but since we had an exchange.. And Maguire is well above average on the ball? His dribling is good, he certainly isn’t «dictating» our play to a high standard, that’s just patently untrue. If he did, we wouldn’t look like tools trying to play out from the back. That aspect of his game is certainly overrated. Lindelöf whom you seem not to rate is a lot more adventurous in his forward passing.

Vidic scored a lot more goals, so saying Maguire is better offensively is a hard sell for me. Also, to your argument about the players around him, didn’t our clean sheet record come with Brown at RB and Evans as Vidic’ partner?

Not trying to put Harry down, mind, I think he is one of the best right now, but Vidic was something else.
Nonsense, please stop feeding bullshite this thread with something like Lindelof is more adventurous, he had a couple of passes ina full fecking season which could be called some passes, and that's only because the attacker really finished that chance, Maguire had many too and most of the time he's closely marked so Lindelof has more time and still do feck all or pass sideways/ to the goalkeeper. Not even going into detail about how both players dribble out of the defense. You can't simply take the ball of HM, he's fearless when on the ball anywhere on the pitch, great in tight spaces, never afraid to dribble out because he's got great ball control and a real strength where he can shrug off players, we could see many times when we were down by a goal and he took responsibility and dribbled out like an extra midfielder, you could see him on the wing too because the space opened up for him and he's not afraid to use it.

&

Nonsense, stop lying here Vidic since he turned proffessional has got 28+5 Goals and assists, while HM has 26+24! assists, so where does Vidic scored a lot more goals, he prepared many more goals with an assist than Vidic. Why are posters on this forum like you spouting shite for fun is beyond meyou should have limited access as lying shouldn't be allowed.

Everything else might be a bit subjective and some passing stats or defensive actions could be backed by more stats but you are not worth it obviously, you seem to know bollocks about football or are pointlessly biased from the past, who knows what you're trying to prove here and your comment is not more believable when you seemingly admit HM is still good or one of the best. Different set up, different players, different managers and football time, people like to be nostalgic but it is clear Harry Maguire is the most complete defender we've had for ages. No matter what you're agenda is from the beginning and you are afraid to admit you were wrong like so many pathetic posters..

Marwood

Maguire's issues were and have been detailed.
England play entirely different to United.
This is not about "Pefection," it's about effectiveness.
For us he is our best central defender but he has and will have to grow and adapt in key game moments for us and hopefully this international performance will do him the world of good to achieve the level of Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam et al. I hope he does.
Entirely different? It looks very similar to me. Right down to Maguire and Shaw being responsible for getting the ball up the pitch. Walker/AWB very similar, the midfield two for each team being similar. Sterling playing a Rashford role, Mount in similar areas to Bruno. Even Cavani and Kane are broadly similar.

He really is doing nothing different for the national team than he does for us.

Very good for both sides. He isn't perfect but then neither are 99% of centre backs.

Tapori

Entirely different? It looks very similar to me. Right down to Maguire and Shaw being responsible for getting the ball up the pitch. Walker/AWB very similar, the midfield two for each team being similar. Sterling playing a Rashford role, Mount in similar areas to Bruno. Even Cavani and Kane are broadly similar.

He really is doing nothing different for the national team than he does for us.

Very good for both sides. He isn't perfect but then neither are 99% of centre backs.
Maguire and Shaw's relationship does not denote England playing similiar in this tournament to how Ole has set his teams up through the season.
I can give you the double picot in 4-2-3-1 and mark out of the players you mentioned but the function of the team is entirely different in it's approach in my opinion.

No-one expects him to be perfect. Again, this all or nothing approach.

Tapori

Well, ignoring the fact that every mistake was rightly or wrong attributed to him, which has been a typical characteristic of the lot who basically called him a shit defender at every turn, name me a defender who doesn’t make mistakes. He will no doubt doubt make mistakes this coming season again, will that flip your kneejerk opinion once again?

And besides, you’re making things up. He hasn’t displayed awful form at key moments of the season at all. He was ropey for a few games at the beginning of the season for very well documented reasons. That’s it. His situation isn’t comparable to Shaw, either.

You should just do yourself a favour and admit you were wrong about him, but no doubt you’ll continue deluding yourself. Nobody is ever wrong on the internet after all.
What would it take for you to ever admit Maguire ever has poor run of form or ever performs tactically inefficiently/ineffectively for a team?
What would he have to do? Note, many posters in this thread have praised him when he has played well and many have pointed out - rightfully - where he has flaws, is at fault or could improve. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

The deluded posters in this thread, in my opinion, are those that either wrote off Maguire entirely - beyond matchday knee-jerkism - or anointed him as the second coming of the English Beckenbauer. If you cannot discern the difference that is up to you.

A better discussion would actually discuss tactically and performance-wise whether Maguire is performing better or differently for England and if this is the case.
Or a poster could talk about if Maguire's performances and gameplay is evolving and if so how and is it different than the his previous years or start of the season or is it different internationally.
I doubt you want such a discussion.

Tony247

Spot on

Anustart89

:lol: top shithousery in forum form.

Handré1990

Nonsense, please stop feeding bullshite this thread with something like Lindelof is more adventurous, he had a couple of passes ina full fecking season which could be called some passes, and that's only because the attacker really finished that chance, Maguire had many too and most of the time he's closely marked so Lindelof has more time and still do feck all or pass sideways/ to the goalkeeper. Not even going into detail about how both players dribble out of the defense. You can't simply take the ball of HM, he's fearless when on the ball anywhere on the pitch, great in tight spaces, never afraid to dribble out because he's got great ball control and a real strength where he can shrug off players, we could see many times when we were down by a goal and he took responsibility and dribbled out like an extra midfielder, you could see him on the wing too because the space opened up for him and he's not afraid to use it.

&

Nonsense, stop lying here Vidic since he turned proffessional has got 28+5 Goals and assists, while HM has 26+24! assists, so where does Vidic scored a lot more goals, he prepared many more goals with an assist than Vidic. Why are posters on this forum like you spouting shite for fun is beyond meyou should have limited access as lying shouldn't be allowed.

Everything else might be a bit subjective and some passing stats or defensive actions could be backed by more stats but you are not worth it obviously, you seem to know bollocks about football or are pointlessly biased from the past, who knows what you're trying to prove here and your comment is not more believable when you seemingly admit HM is still good or one of the best. Different set up, different players, different managers and football time, people like to be nostalgic but it is clear Harry Maguire is the most complete defender we've had for ages. No matter what you're agenda is from the beginning and you are afraid to admit you were wrong like so many pathetic posters..
This post is a fecking idiot. Do I need to sepcify about goals for the club we’re talking about? I couldn’t care less about goals scored for Leicester, Hull and England. Bye now.

Edit: Such a fecking weird attack of a post, I just need to add, someone in this very thread felt the need to explain that players can have obvious flaws and still be good/great, so me seeing flaws in Maguire’s game doesn’t mean I don’t rate him or have an agenda you fecking child. I do not rate Lindelöf, but I think his long passing game is better than Harry’s, because he does it less, and have had more success.

Last edited:

Zen86

What would it take for you to ever admit Maguire ever has poor run of form or ever performs tactically inefficiently/ineffectively for a team?
What would he have to do? Note, many posters in this thread have praised him when he has played well and many have pointed out - rightfully - where he has flaws, is at fault or could improve. Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

The deluded posters in this thread, in my opinion, are those that either wrote off Maguire entirely - beyond matchday knee-jerkism - or anointed him as the second coming of the English Beckenbauer. If you cannot discern the difference that is up to you.

A better discussion would actually discuss tactically and performance-wise whether Maguire is performing better or differently for England and if this is the case.
Or a poster could talk about if Maguire's performances and gameplay is evolving and if so how and is it different than the his previous years or start of the season or is it different internationally.
I doubt you want such a discussion.
I don’t know what point you’re making.

The long and short of the situation though is this; Maguire been a very good defender for us since he joined. He hasn’t suddenly transformed into a top defender, he already was one. Nobody ever anointed him Beckenbauer, nobody ever claimed he was the greatest defender ever.

But many saw his quality straight away. The people that didn’t are only doing so because of his recent Euros form and the fact we badly missed him at the end of last season. Before his injury he played literally every game. Many only realised what he brought to Manchester United when he was gone.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Maguire vs Dias :devil:
Shaw vs Cancelo :devil:
Bissaka vs Walker :devil:
Lindelof vs Stones :rolleyes:
I’d definitely take Walker over Bissaka, Cancelo is great but I’d agree with taking Shaw 100%. I think I like Lindelof more than most of the United supporters on here, but I would also opt for Stones.

Dias Maguire is a tricky one. Dias was pretty brilliant in his first season in English football, adapted straight away to a new team and became a key player instantly which is no mean feat. I've seen a lot more of Maguire and I love his style of play

I definitely agree with your sentiments, the media always overplay CBs at smaller clubs, especially if they are competent on the ball or playing in a defensive set up. I thought that when the press was raving about Keane, sometimes it is easier to stand out at a smaller club.

I disagree when it comes to Maguire though, I think he is an excellent CB and rate him very highly. Time will tell though mate!
I do really rate him highly, that was a year before he joined United, and I liked him at Hull. Because I've seen a lot more of Maguire I'd feel more confident in saying him, but from the one season of Dias, I do think he was slightly better than Harry last season. I think it's to early to tell though.

justsomebloke

Absolutely. Well done lads, now keep it up!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Fair play, balls of steel on the pen. He got my respect tonight. He might not be the best CB in the world but he's shown some bottle.

Let's do it for United next season now.

Status
Not open for further replies.