Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Maguire's been making them since he came here. People were coming out with stats to prove how good he is and comparing him to vvd. Well stats don't show the full picture of how good a player is. You don't see how mobile the player is, what kind of a first touch he has, how good he is on the ball, how well he positiones himself, his tactical awareness...
AWB has been making mistakes.
De Gea has been making mistakes
Pogba has been making mistakes
Greenwood has been making mistakes
Lindelof has been making mistakes
Matic has been making mistakes.

There is no one in this team at the moment who does not continuously make mistakes.

OldTrevil

Noz can feck off here. It’s the role of the captain to lead and control his players and Maguire handled it well. They checked it, nothing can be done, Rashford shouting could’ve got him a yellow. For how shit he was I think he actually handled that well.
Fecking disgusting. If that's what passes for captain nowadays, I'd be ashamed to be one. All those trying to claim he was calming the situation are having a laugh as well, Rashford wasn't even agitated to need calming, the kid sounds more bemused than anything with his age showing in face of injustice from a supposed authority. Maguire on the other hand sounds firm in his support of the ref, with added bitchness in his voice against his teammate.

There was always something off with guy, from all the media praise he was getting that didn't match his laughable performances on the pitch. We will not get anywhere being led by this charlatan, he needed dropping yesterday. I don't care if the coaching staff makes him captain for life and the FA sponsors his knighthood for being a model boot-licker, he should not be allowed to continue sabotaging our play. I bet none of our good players have confidence in this guy either as a footballer or leader.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Fecking disgusting. If that's what passes for captain nowadays, I'd be ashamed to be one. All those trying to claim he was calming the situation are having a laugh as well, Rashford wasn't even agitated to need calming, the kid sounds more bemused than anything with his age showing in face of injustice from a supposed authority. Maguire on the other hand sounds firm in his support of the ref, with added bitchness in his voice against his teammate.

There was always something off with guy, from all the media praise he was getting that didn't match his laughable performances on the pitch. We will not get anywhere being led by this charlatan, he needed dropping yesterday. I don't care if the coaching staff makes him captain for life and the FA sponsors his knighthood for being a model boot-licker, he should not be allowed to continue sabotaging our play. I bet none of our good players have confidence in this guy either as a footballer or leader.
Sabotaged our play? This rant is hilarious. If Maguire allowed Rashford to approach the ref or had a go himself, what would be the best case scenario? We could’ve had 2 maybe even 3 reds. It’s really concerning you don’t understand how refereeing in football works.

Pace Abuser

Quality control

It is embarrassing watching the pussy act like a scared grandma calming the children. But apparently he saved half the team getting sent off and deserves a nobel peace prize.

He's the model **** who would bring the crackers up to the guy boning his missus in the morning before going to work to tackle his own teammates so the opposition can score.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

There is no one in this team at the moment who does not continuously make mistakes.
AWB - looked really good at the start of the year great defensively, poor attacking wise - still 22
DDG - Been shaky for the last 2-3 years - we've seen what his qualities are
Pogba- been shit since he had covid, quality when in form - massive consistency issues
Mason - 18 years old
Lindelof - he's never been good enough
Matic - too old and was already in decline when we signed him from Chelsea also has consistency issues

Maguire is at 27 in his prime and i don't even know at what he's really good at

Wheato

Nonsense. Spurs were just about to take a corner, and they were also getting on top of us in the game. This is a captain trying to get his players to concentrate on the game, and most importantly the incoming corner. Can't have players arguing with the ref when Harry Kane is stood in the penalty area waiting for a cross.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Nonsense. Spurs were just about to take a corner, and they were also getting on top of us in the game. This is a captain trying to get his players to concentrate on the game, and most importantly the incoming corner. Can't have players arguing with the ref when Harry Kane is stood in the penalty area waiting for a cross.
Your post is.

Captains are one thing and Maguire is another.

Yea while Fernandes has made as many mistakes as those listed combined. So you are right they all make mistakes.

Jaykespeare88

Joke of a captain, passive in his game and it seems, his entire demeanour. Wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Pogba and Fernandes can't motivate themselves with statues like Maguire and Matic around them, sounds like he ripped those two in the dressing room at half time, im not surprised. Mans been relegated 4 times and he leads our team, pfff.

OldTrevil

Sabotaged our play? This rant is hilarious. If Maguire allowed Rashford to approach the ref or had a go himself, what would be the best case scenario? We could’ve had 2 maybe even 3 reds. It’s really concerning you don’t understand how refereeing in football works.
No, the best case scenario if Maguire had any sense would have been to make sure the ref takes another look at such a game changing decision especially having heard the concern of his teammate who witnessed the whole incident.

You must be wumming with such a take surely

Your post is.

Captains are one thing and Maguire is another.

Yea while Fernandes has made as many mistakes as those listed combined. So you are right they all make mistakes.
Same thing for good quality CBs... I've really had it with the fake captain. He unbalances our defense and slows down our attacking build up. I'm never sure of any lead knowing we have that lump playing at the back, and I bet most of the 1st team feels the same.

RedChisel

I think the hatred this guy is getting is way over the top. Yes he's had a mare so far this season but he was an important part of the third best defence in the league last season so clearly isn't shite as some of the experts on here are saying. Some people just seem desperate to jump on some our players and have a weird dislike of them.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Yeh everyone make mistake in this team, at least half of them need to be replaced to be fair, and Maguire did make the worst ones though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It is embarrassing watching the pussy act like a scared grandma calming the children. But apparently he saved half the team getting sent off and deserves a nobel peace prize.

He's the model **** who would bring the crackers up to the guy boning his missus in the morning before going to work to tackle his own teammates so the opposition can score.
Nonsensical and ridiculous post. Babyish.

I think the hatred this guy is getting is way over the top. Yes he's had a mare so far this season but he was an important part of the third best defence in the league last season so clearly isn't shite as some of the experts on here are saying. Some people just seem desperate to jump on some our players and have a weird dislike of them.
Exactly. Maguire is nowhere near as bad as his current form. We had the 3rd best defensive record in the league last season, he played pretty much every minute of that didn’t he? I don’t remember more than a couple of mistakes really.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Everything that's wrong with the Caf. Personal attack that lacks wit or insight and has nothing to say about the actual football.

dev1l

ABU Media preying on our toxic fans

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, the best case scenario if Maguire had any sense would have been to make sure the ref takes another look at such a game changing decision especially having heard the concern of his teammate who witnessed the whole incident.
The decision had been taken, checked and confirmed at that point. Absolutely nothing Maguire could say was ever going to change that.

Thinking he had the power to "make sure" the ref takes another look at the incident would be a sign that he's an idiot who either doesn't understand what just happened in front of him or doesn't understand how refereeing works.

So criticising him for understanding and explaining the reality of what just happened to Rashford while the team tried to re-organise itself is bizarre. Moving the team on from the red card is literally the only constructive thing he can do at that moment.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

So you think the 80m CB and captain should be continuously making mistakes? And you're comparing him to the young striker who just broke through?

Lindelof, Pogba, Matic, DDG, are all players that have been questioned regarding their place in the team, Maguire should be no different.

AWB is also coming under seriously scrutiny

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This '3rd best defence in the league last year' staple is not a good hill to die on. Maguire's performance thread, last season, spoke of exactly the same things as this one does, just in an attenuated fashion in relative terms beings as he's far worse now than the poor he was then.

But '3rd best defence in the league' is just as meaningless as that time we came 2nd in the league; the reality is, looking at us with a critical eye, post-lockdown return, we fell off a cliff. Maguire has actually declined since he got here, for whatever reason. Incrementally, he has worsened by the month, and that's a concern in itself because his best was servicable at the lowest rung for the elite level of defender, and it was supposed to be built upon, so to see him go in the other direction, questions of what we're doing behind the scenes with these players have to be asked.

As harsh as I am on Maguire, it's completely fair and valid to say that defensively, our midfield is a mess and offers very little protection for the defence behind them, particularly when we're caught high, as we often are. However, as captain of the team and supposed leader, Maguire has the responsibility of organising those around him, inclusive of midfield and the keeper. There is no communication between our CB's let alone spread out to the nether realms of keeper and midfield. It's a big problem, and very easy to see how teams with smart attackers can play between those already confused lines and drag and discombobulate our players even further - we're custom-made for the exploit.

The biggest concern of all with Maguire, irrespective of individual blunders, is that he himself doesn't know what he wants to be as a defender and with no defined role, he's selling himself short and making things even harder than they should be.

If he's an all-out aggressive stopper, be that and take out everything in your path without getting rolled in such elementary ways; the best stoppers get high and tight to their men immediately, and then they wrap them up via touch-contact so that they can't get spun - they don't half amble forward, become unsure and then expose themselves due to their own lack of acceleration or ability on the half turn.

If he wants to be an all-rounder, delegate and stop over-complicating matters by doing too much and be more aware of your spatials so you can actually react in the correct manner instead of flapping.

We can play a high line, but Maguire should be the aggressor with someone sweeping up behind him, which would reduce his need to scramble with the speed of an oil tanker if/when spun. Our communication at the back is absolutely dire, however, and our second man tends to be reactionary and do their own thing on a whim over following any kind system or protocol that they [and the team] can fall back on.

I think all of our CB's fail to measure their own limitations, which is something that any defender worth his salt should do. If you're slow - but a top class defender - you compensate for it and ensure you're never caught lacking through your own terrible positioning or inability to read an unfolding play; if a top defender isn't good in the air, he sure as hell knows how to make life difficult for those challenging aerially, by at least putting his body in the optimal position to disrupt his man.

The list goes on and on - the last defender we had with any of these base principles of understanding was Blind, who, despite being physically unimpressive for a CB, made as big a problem for those he was playing against as was possible. If he outright got muscled off a ball or physically dwarfed, it's fair enough, but at least you could rely on him to be doing everything in the CB playbook to be the best obstacle he could be.

Maguire's about a 6/10 defender playing at about a 2/10 level this season thus far from around a 4/10 post-lockdown. He doesn't have the margins for error that superb athletic defenders or those intuitive marshalls do, so he's nearly always under the kind of pressure I don't think is appreciated.

I've said last season, and will maintain, that the CL is going to be a nightmare for him because he's up against superior minds (never mind ability) who will be able to exploit his own speed of thought to their advantage and that's where all the flapping and 'uncharacteristic' malady takes root.

If we want to get the best out of the backline, the midfield in front of them needs to be shored up and the flanks are going to have to work harder at forcing the opposition infield, which should buy us more time to regain our shape and prevent Maguire's 'heroism' from rearing its head so rapidly.

Fred and McTominay in tandem did a lot more for us on the back end during the first part of the year than given credit for; Maguire was not as exposed then as he became and we need to find a way to play that doesn't ask too much of our CB's who really aren't up to the task of being isolated and worked on.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If Ed refused to buy him (like he did to Mourinho regarding Toby) then we would blame him to not backing his manager. Now we again blame Ed for wasting 80 mil on average defender.
Amazing how Ed just can't make good call.

Anyway, Maguire is a problem now. Can't be benched, can't be sold and he is not good enough. For 80 mil we bought a problem instead solution. Man Utd : Kings of transfer market

@roonster09. You still think that he was good buy, mate? ;)

Foxbatt

I have had plenty of looks on the second goal. There was only one thing for him to do. That is wrestle the ball from Kane as Kane had fallen over the ball. People say he should block the free kick. Even if he stands his ground Kane is going to kick it past Maguire. There was too much space behind him for Son to run into. Bailly should not have switched off. Does not mean he was terrible in that game. But the coaching staff should have realised that Kane was dropping off and Maguire was following him and Son was running into that space.
All before we conceded the second goal. In fact Spurs played the exact game against Soton the previous week.

chb23

whats the twitter video? its been remove, any other link?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If Ed refused to buy him (like he did to Mourinho regarding Toby) then we would blame him to not backing his manager. Now we again blame Ed for wasting 80 mil on average defender.
Amazing how Ed just can't make good call.

Anyway, Maguire is a problem now. Can't be benched, can't be sold and he is not good enough. For 80 mil we bought a problem instead solution. Man Utd : Kings of transfer market

@roonster09. You still think that he was good buy, mate? ;)
What? I said you shouldn't rate him based on transfer fee as it's nothing to do with him. I gave plenty of examples too at that time. He should be judged just like other player, not as 80 million player. Just because we paid so much doesn't mean he becomes quicker overnight or better than what he is. I said this about Maguire and other players too like Pogba, AWB and others.

He had good first season, he was never worth 80 million and will never be. He was still out best CB. Far better than "Ice man" who is arguably our worst CB in last 20 years.

Problem is you don't apply your rating consistently. You expect Maguire to be so much better than what he is because we paid 80 million for him and then praise Shaw for average performance when his deal was record breaking, one of the highest paid LB in the world and arguably highest paid LB in the league.

Even worse, you praise non defender Lindelof when he was among top 10 fee for a CB when he was signed. You praise him for just standing as a training dummy.

Last edited:

Giggsyking

I dont blame him at all, I blame the novice manager who can't organise the back four.

RashyForPM

Exactly. Some people are right pussies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have had plenty of looks on the second goal. There was only one thing for him to do. That is wrestle the ball from Kane as Kane had fallen over the ball. People say he should block the free kick. Even if he stands his ground Kane is going to kick it past Maguire. There was too much space behind him for Son to run into. Bailly should not have switched off. Does not mean he was terrible in that game. But the coaching staff should have realised that Kane was dropping off and Maguire was following him and Son was running into that space.
All before we conceded the second goal. In fact Spurs played the exact game against Soton the previous week.
Unless he was literally told to man mark Kane, Maguire should have the self-awareness to know he is taking himself miles out of position following Kane all over the place.

He made so many fundamental errors that compromised Bailly and Shaw because of Kane that questions have to be asked about his level of understanding. If it was planned, Bailly and Shaw would have had contingency and not look absolutely baffled by what Maguire was doing.

Maguire's actions made Son's mind up for him. It looks like some amazing tactical plan from Mourinho, but it's been Spurs M.O. and players as good as Son don't need to be asked twice to run into the acres of space Maguire was inviting him in to.

In many ways, Maguire was out there doing a 'Bailly', that is, being a liability to those around him with his unpredictable breaking of rank and making his partner's job twice as difficult as it it should be.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What? I said you shouldn't rate him based on transfer fee as it's nothing to do with him. I gave plenty of examples too at that time. He should be judged just like other player, not as 80 million player. Just because we paid so much doesn't mean he becomes quicker overnight or better than what he is. I said this about Maguire and other players too like Pogba, AWB and others.

He had good first season, he was never worth 80 million and will never be. He was still out best CB. Far better than "Ice man" who is arguably our worst CB in last 20 years.

Problem is you don't apply your rating consistently. You expect Maguire to be so much better than what he is because we paid 80 million for him and then praise Shaw for average performance when his deal was record breaking, one of the highest paid LB in the world and arguably highest paid LB in the league.

Even worse, you praise non defender Lindelof when he was among top 10 fee for a CB when he was signed. You praise him for just standing as a training dummy.
:). Yeah, we basically disagree in everything about our defenders i guess. And it is cool. It would not be fun if we all agree in everything. Iceman is twice a defender than Maguire will ever be. And it is not meant be praise for Lindelof. Maguire is our worst buy ....well, maybe ever (because fee IS important)

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's strange people are so vehemently insistent that he had a good first season. He was OK at best.

ColorsOfRainbow

Maguire is simply not good enough for Man united to justify the 80m spent on him...he's only being tolerated because he's English hence reason why Ed is now being skeptical making same mistake on Sancho's outrageous price demand from Dortmund which is why I wouldn't blame him.That's the very truth.no need pretending about it.
We got Pellistri.Mark it today,we won't regret getting the lad for such ridiculous price.He will do for us that which Sancho does for Dortmund if he's given the opportunity.
Patience is key

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fairly flawless performance for England yesterday. Passed the ball exceptionally well too. 96% pass completion and lots of very accurate vertical passes too.

Which does seem to indicate his recent horror shows have been more of a systemic issue in the team than his head being wrecked after events in Greece.

Rossa

Fairly flawless performance for England yesterday. Passed the ball exceptionally well too. 96% pass completion and lots of very accurate vertical passes too.

Which does seem to indicate his recent horror shows have been more of a systemic issue in the team than his head being wrecked after events in Greece.
Was it systemic issues that caused him panic for Tottenham's first goal? He's been out of position, fair enough if you want to blame the system, but he's also beaten far too easily one on one and makes silly mistakes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was it systemic issues that caused him panic for Tottenham's first goal? He's been out of position, fair enough if you want to blame the system, but he's also beaten far too easily one on one and makes silly mistakes.
First goal was a horrendous individual error, agreed. The whole performance was awful. But I think individual defenders tend to play much worse when the defensive/midfield unit is malfunctioning. Makes them much more reactive and less composed. Hence Maguire looked infinitely more relaxed and in control against Belgium than he has done for United so far this season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Looked far more confident with England, I hope he translates that performance to our team. Perhaps we should move to the back 3?

Rossa

First goal was a horrendous individual error, agreed. The whole performance was awful. But I think individual defenders tend to play much worse when the defensive/midfield unit is malfunctioning. Makes them much more reactive and less composed. Hence Maguire looked infinitely more relaxed and in control against Belgium than he has done for United so far this season.
Not disagreeing with this. Is he arguably better suited to a back three? With Telles on the left, that might not be such a bad idea with Shaw as the left centre back with Maguire in the middle?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looked far more confident with England, I hope he translates that performance to our team. Perhaps we should move to the back 3?
He would be very useful in a back 3. As would Telles, and even AWB who played there for Palace. I'm just not sure how the attack works in this situation.
I think Ole will test it against Newcastle, mind. He has no Martial and no Cavani, so it's the perfect chance to pair Rashford + Greenwood as a 2 with a flat 3 behind.

Okey

The back 3 doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. The way Germany lined up against Ukraine in their last game, basically 3-4-2-1 would suit our current resources (I have a screenshot off espn but I don't know how to post an image). Of course you'd hope it comes off well on the pitch, but definitely interesting.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He would be very useful in a back 3. As would Telles, and even AWB who played there for Palace. I'm just not sure how the attack works in this situation.
I think Ole will test it against Newcastle, mind. He has no Martial and no Cavani, so it's the perfect chance to pair Rashford + Greenwood as a 2 with a flat 3 behind.
Yeah, it's either that or a diamond. I think with how many we've been conceding a back 3 seems more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.