Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Why does he looked so shocked, head in his hands, every time he heads the ball over the bar? It's every time Harry, shouldn't come as a surprise.

Northstand

Some absolute garbage being posted in here tonight.

I thought he was our best player on the night and has been playing well for about 2 months now. The first goal should’ve been cleared well before it reached him
For what it’s worth I agree entirely. Putting aside the exorbitant fee Leicester extracted from us, I’ve no idea why he’s so reviled on this forum.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
He’s not even an upgrade on smalling which is really sad to see given the price. It’s mistakes every other game since he arrived.
Bailly / Upamecano partnership would be an upgrade imo.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I wouldnt hang him out to dry for the 2nd goal. It should have been cleared before it got anywhere near the back post, it went through everyone. Stone himself said he couldnt see the flight of the ball,, it just hit him and went in so its safe to say Maguire wouldnt have seen the flight either.. poor defending by the team not necessarily or just Maguire. Other than that he did ok.
Probably that massive head blocking Stones' view to be fair.

Cloud7

Was he not meant to be a threat at corners? Or was that just media hype based on him scoring a couple goals for England at the World Cup? I feel like he never even gets attacking headers on target.

MattofManchester

When he's assertive and leads the defence, he's very good, but then there are moments in nearly every match where he just doesn't seem that way at all.
That moment before Bailly got the block in against Villa, the goal for City.
It just seems like he tends to mentally collapse at certain moments in the game.

brzez

I think I’ve accepted that he’s a mediocre center back that needs to be replaced. But I cannot accept that he’s tumescent, not only at defending set pieces, but also in the opponents box. I think we’ll score in more corners if he doesn’t play. Every set piece are aimed at him and even though he has a massive head, he just can’t get it on target:houllier:

OhGee

On a separate note, is anyone keeping a ticker going on how many times he tries to successfully find Shaw/Telles with a long ball? I have it at around 1 in 20 right now...

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's Utd captain.... I dunno mate, maybe swing your boot at that..

I don't have the worst opinion of him but at crucial times I think his inexperience shines through.

Ludens the Red

I thought he was our best player on the night and has been playing well for about 2 months now. The first goal should’ve been cleared well before it reached him
I agree some slightly over the top comments.
His general defending is quite good but as captain and organiser he has to take responsibility for our inadequacies from set pieces. He was very good at defending set pieces last year, this year awful. Doesn’t seem to like dealing with crosses at all anymore. Shys away from it and that’s just not what a captain should be doing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why does he looked so shocked, head in his hands, every time he heads the ball over the bar? It's every time Harry, shouldn't come as a surprise.
:lol: Yup. And he's been absolutely terrible at goalscoring attempts from headers for the us. Keeps missing easy chances and then holding his head after.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I thought he had a good game overall, just sloppy where it really matters.

Firstly even if the cross shouldn’t reach him, when it does he can’t just let it pass him by like that in the 6 yard box.

Secondly his shocking attacking headers every corner needs no more said

jem

I thought he had a good game overall, just sloppy where it really matters.

Firstly even if the cross shouldn’t reach him, when it does he can’t just let it pass him by like that in the 6 yard box.

Secondly his shocking attacking headers every corner needs no more said
That seems to happen fairly regularly with him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Maguire obviously expected Lindelof to clear the ball on the first goal and was caught by surprise that it got through, but that's no excuse. He should have been expecting it to perhaps get through to him and be ready to clear it. If it had taken a touch in front of him that had changed the flight of the ball then so be it, but he needs to be ready if it doesn't.

After that he had an extremely good 20-30 minutes where he was dominant defensively and provided a lot of drive forward, but he needs to do that without the previous mistake.

Oh, and he needs to learn to head the ball down towards the ground when attacking set pieces. If it goes wide so be it, but if he gets the direction right he just always gets it up over the bar anyway. Aim it down and at least make the keeper work.

Sylar

He played really well especially the ball in play. The issue is that gets brought down by his defending for their first goal and then how he hardly tests a goal keeper despite getting into good positions and thus getting a clear header.

Classical Mechanic

Was he not meant to be a threat at corners? Or was that just media hype based on him scoring a couple goals for England at the World Cup? I feel like he never even gets attacking headers on target.
He is a 'threat' from corners. He's scored from one this season and had a major part in two other goals scored from corners. I think people vastly overestimate the number of goals scored from corners. The figure is actually as low as 2% if you look for data on it. Headers also have a lower xG than most people seem to realise. As an example, posters are criticising him for the bodged header in the second half, this was an attempt where John Stones was in his line of vision and also got a slight touch on it about two yards in front of Maguire. This was actually a very hard chance to score from. It's instructive of how hard corners are to score from as the ball is a long one where you are surrounded by lots of defensive pressure and physical contact.

Last edited:

soapythecat

If HM hasn’t have cost the stupid fee we paid, we’d be happy he’s come through the academy. But we have to judge him as a £85m player and for that he’s a bit of a joke.
Squad rotation player in all honesty.

Renegade

If HM hasn’t have cost the stupid fee we paid, we’d be happy he’s come through the academy. But we have to judge him as a £85m player and for that he’s a bit of a joke.
Squad rotation player in all honesty.
We have to judge him as a captain too.

romufc

While watching the game, I just thought, If City signed Maguire, we would all be out here laughing at City... but because we have signed him, we need to back him more.

It might be reactionary but I am tired of how many times Maguire fails to cut a cross out. Over and over again.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Personally thought he had a good 89 minutes, but then wrecked it with failing to clear that free kick.

Why are our defenders so bad at set pieces?! surely the first objective is clear the ball if it comes anywhere near you. They all seem like they'd rather leave it and hope it goes out, rather than just clearing it and worrying about it later. Ugh.

red_de_pologne

he's never marking the striker and is always far away from where the cross will land, it's infuriating.

Tuanzebe Lindelof
Bailly Lindelof
Tuanzebe Bailly

all seem like a better pairing

plus he's got zero captain traits

Fracture90

While watching the game, I just thought, If City signed Maguire, we would all be out here laughing at City... but because we have signed him, we need to back him more.

It might be reactionary but I am tired of how many times Maguire fails to cut a cross out. Over and over again.
This is probably one of the best takes I've seen in this thread.

If any other team signed him for even a half or 2/3 of the money, we'd be laughing our asses off.

MUFromLTU

Easily the best player on the pitch from our side until the mistake costing us goal

youmeletsfly

Easily the best player on the pitch from our side until the mistake costing us goal
City had about 5-6 crosses in the first half, please watch where Maguire was for each of them and let us know if you still stand by your statement.

One thing I'm gonna give him is the attitude to move with the ball at his feet in the 89th minute, other than that he's an absolute clown at defending. One of the most important things for a slow defender is positioning and my god he's bad at it. He's 1 second behind for most of the plays and I'm not exaggerating.
Don't get me wrong, he ain't bad, but it's awuful to see him play and Lindelof/Maguire covering his ass for most of the crosses.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What frustrates me the most with him is how he keeps missing the target during corner kicks for what seem to be scorable chances. At least hit the target with those headers, it feels like every game he has a "free" header missed completely

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Big part of the problem is that he's pretty much our only attacking threat on corners so he gets double teamed. That should free up others but it doesn't...

Andersons Dietician

To be fare to him last night was simply a Pep masterclass in tactics. They moved our back 4 about at will and just dragged them out of shape to create spaces. Felt like he struggled the first 10 minutes or so, then sort of got to grips with what was happening and was looking quite good.

No one to mark, KDB and Sterling on his left, Cancelo going inside and even ending up at the D sometimes, players just popping up in his area where you wouldn’t really expect them too. He got worked last night and so did Shaw. Bissaka and Lindelof on the other side as well but truth be told given what was happening I feel like they all did alright.

Although every coach I’ve ever played under or heard speak has always said you never let the ball run across the box. If you can do something to stop it’s path then you have to try. And that’s at least 3 goals we’ve conceded from him not cutting out the ball when he can.

Cultured left ankle

There's a lot of underestimation of Maguire in here - he had a fine game and the goal was a collective catastrophe.

Has anyone mentioned his bigger (and IMO only major) mistake where he backed off when KDB hit the post? he seemed to want to follow Sterling's run (was Shaw tracking? I think so...), but you don't give KDB that much space unchecked.

Is a shame that city clearly have a much better CB partnership who made a massive difference. Diaz was terrific when if we made it too easy for them at times. This throws into contrast what we have vs what we need to be working towards.

Giggsy13

Maguire can’t hit an attacking header on target to save his life. He’s a decent enough defender but a flop when you consider the price we paid.

MattofManchester

There's a lot of underestimation of Maguire in here - he had a fine game and the goal was a collective catastrophe
I thought he had a very good game, but there's always moments in those very good games where he could cost us. Notably was against Villa before that Bailly block. Completely missing the ball with his head against someone quite smaller than he was, which put us in that position.

You can have 89 minute world class performances, but if that other minute is costing us a goal, then there's still a worry.

Frankly, I just don't ever feel that we are safe defensively.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

It's mystifying that he's getting singled out for abuse after last night.

90 + 5min

Watching a replay of a game. I don't know how some people can have a go at him. Lindelof should have done better as he was first. Maguire was behind hi from the balls perpective and there is very little he can do once the ball goes over first guy. It was a great ball.

Maguire was very, very good in the game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exact same mistake as Leipzig letting the ball roll across him in the box
It was one of those really quick whizzing balls that you could easily put into your own net. It was an awkward one, especially already coming past a couple of players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watching him jump to attack corners is hilarious. He's lucky if he clears 4 inches off the ground.
He gets his head to nearly every ball though.
Just seems to have lost any knack of putting them in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is it me or has he become really bad at scoring since he left Leicester?
It's one of those perception things.
It's the same with Fellaini.

When they're against you, they seem almost unplayable. When they're playing for us they don't seem as big a threat at all.

It'd help if we had a bit more aerial force though, as it's pretty obvious 95% of corners will be aimed at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.