Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

youngrell

I think he was very lucky not conceding a penalty for that elbow/handball at he end there. Otherwise he was good once again.
Looked on the replay to me that the ball actually hit AWB’s face rather than Harry’s arm. It was tough to see clearly though.

Would have been a very harsh decision.

Sylar

Maguire seemed to be among the worst affected by the odd start to the season, no doubt with the arrest playing a part. But he’s been getting better and better as the weeks go past and he’s looking in top form at the mo
Yep, the early season blip out the way, hes going back to the levels he was last season and if he has a consistent partner like most top defenders do rather than the chopping and changing, it will defo help him too (Bailly the obvious choice).

Such a shame he finally gets a header on target (and scores) and its disallowed. Still not sure why it was disallowed and hardly even reviewed. I mean there was no blatant foul in there.
I actually think it was a clear and obvious mistake by the ref to disallow it.

One part of his game which hes doing more so especially with Bailly next to him, is him stepping forward and spraying the ball out wide. It really helps us and its good to see him doing it again.
I know at times he gets ridiculed but his passing from the back on the whole has been something weve missed post fergie.

romufc

Isn't this what alot of Maguire haters were complaining about? He doesn't dominate the air.

This is because people expect too much from Maguire, have a go at him for every goal because he looks clumsy sometimes.

However; in the games we need him to put his head on things, like the Everton game and today, he was there with his head making clearances.

We needed Maguire today.

Idxomer

He was great till the last few minutes where I felt his focus dropped down a bit which allowed Burnley to pile up the pressure.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Thought he was immense for most of the game until the last 10 when he started to get pulled wide by Vydra who offered something different to Wood/Barnes.

Continues his good form ever since that Newcastle away game for me, great turnaround

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Didn't think he was particularly good. Bailly bailed him out many times
That's what good partnerships do, Rio and Vidic covered for each other all the time. It often goes unnoticed here but Maguire does the same for Lindelof.
I think he was very lucky not conceding a penalty for that elbow/handball at he end there. Otherwise he was good once again.
I couldn't really see a good angle of it, from what I did see it would've been really harsh.

Kostov

I couldn't really see a good angle of it, from what I did see it would've been really harsh.
Looked on the replay to me that the ball actually hit AWB’s face rather than Harry’s arm. It was tough to see clearly though.

Would have been a very harsh decision.
Yes agree although would have been harsh/soft imo, earlier in the season it would have been given.
Just as harsh as that baffling decision to award a foul from Shaw in the first half, I was expecting anything from that that prick of a ref. Anyway his goals also should have stood imo.

GueRed

Take him out of the team and there'd be a HUGE gaping hole in our defence.

Imagine a Lindelof-Bailly partnership for 30-40 games a season

Carnage :lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Very good again.

His disallowed goal was bullshit too

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Seems more relaxed with Bailly's pace and recovery.

Play like that more often, and I think the usual gripes about him disappear.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Solid player. If we paid £45m for him he would be a great buy.
I don’t really get this rationale though. Is he a good player and did he improve us massively? Yes. So who cares what we paid for him? For that price we bought, Rojo, Lindelof and Bailly but Maguire has been better and more reliable than all of them by a distance so he’s worth the money.

romufc

I don’t really get this rationale though. Is he a good player and did he improve us massively? Yes. So who cares what we paid for him? For that price we bought, Rojo, Lindelof and Bailly but Maguire has been better and more reliable than all of them by a distance so he’s worth the money.
Exactly this. People need to understand that paying that sum doesn't mean he is worth that much. It is market economics, his contract length, Leicester not needing to sell, United's need for a CB.

You will end up over paying some players and some players you get for a steal.

He has improved the team? yes

He doesn't seem to be a disruptive person either, so why can't people get behind him without mentioning the transfer fee in every other sentence.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gutted for him his header didn't count, was a really dominant jump and great accuracy.

He needs to stop using his hands as a cushion though, he gets so many cheap fouls given away against him as he's got this habit of tagging his opponent with his arm to sort of keep them in check.

Barnes kept falling over as soon as he felt it time and time again.

Apart from that though another good performance and a clean sheet.

AshRK

If that was a penalty then game is surely dead. The only way to defend then is chop your hands off and play.

AshRK

doesn’t matter get over it.

what if he cost £46m? Would he be pretty good?

£60m? Good

£70m? Average

£80m? Disaster, should bring up his price tag at every opportunity. Not captain material etc.
Good point. I see only with our fans who are obsessed with price tag. Same with Pogba, Fred, awb. Maguire has been pretty solid since joining, could he be better? Yes but no way a flop or anything.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's similar to McTominay's goal vs Brighton last season, it touched Maguire hand before the goal but the goal was allowed because it also touched Dunk's hand. This time it touched both him & Mee's arm. 50:50 challenge there.

youngrell

It's similar to McTominay's goal vs Brighton last season, it touched Maguire hand before the goal but the goal was allowed because it also touched Dunk's hand. This time it touched both him & Mee's arm. 50:50 challenge there.
Yep. It seems to go AWB face > Mee's head > Mee's arm > Maguire's hand (maybe)

I think they only showed this angle once last night while playing the other one which looked more like Maguire's arm several times.

Mcking

Yeah, if you ignore the price, that is when he becomes good enough. I'm happy with him having the armband as well.

Feels like he has been here for ages, probably because he came, had an impact right away, and rarely misses games. None of the 'settling in' excuse. He deserves plenty of credit.

The price thing is stupid anyway, we paid fecking 35m for Lindelöf, 50m for AWB and City spent 60m every season trying to find CB’s as good as Maguire.
We paid a premium, but the idea he’d have been ”great at 45m” is stupid, he’d have been a fecking steal that price.

Havak

Pokemon master
Gets a bit too much hate for me.

He can definitely work on a few things. He's good on the ball for sure, but definitely makes an odd passing decision once every other game it feels like (almost gave the ball straight to Burnley last night whilst towards our left corner flag for example). I also think be could do better at scoring from corners. We have good set piece takers at the moment and he seems to get a header every game, many of them missing the target when he wasn't under much pressure at all. He's better than that, he should probably getting 20+ headers on target a season in all competitions and scoring more than 5. He's so hard to stop, he probably could have scored against Burnley without putting his hand on the defender and giving him a chance to go down. It was a clear goal obviously, but when you give players and officials the chance to make a decision, they often will.

The biggest thing though is how reliable he is in general. Rarely injured, pretty solid, plays to his strengths. Just needs pace around him to cover his weaknesses.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Played well bar that one moment he completely lost a Burnley player and had to be bailed out by Bailly.
You mean when Matic lazily jogged back and switched off defending?

Maguire is a beast, just need a good partner who likes to defend, not Lindelof, Shaw is a great defender and so is Bissaka, then a proper DM not let´s shoehorn the big lad Matic there who can´t track players, neither cover the ground. The we will be super solid. We´re already seing that by just putting Bailly there.

Also only a matter of time when he starts putting in some more goals. He´s got 5-6 goals in him per season along with some great playmaking ability if we need a bit of help from there. With the inflation, it´s similar deal as with Rio for 30mil. Back in the day he had a better team around with experienced manager and a terminator next to him, let´s not forget that. It will come to the point when we will laugh at all those posts of him being not worth it.

Kostov

Doesn’t even touch Maguire does it? :lol: first AWB, then onto the Burnley lad and then? AWB’s
shoulder maybe?
I’ve paused every moment and can’t see after the two deflections.

You had a second look @Kostov?
I am still unsure mate, but to be frank I really don't give a feck since it was not given, if it was I am sure that it would have been used to rip him apart on here. Both of Bailly and Maguire were top class I feel, with the main insecurity coming from AWB.

acnumber9

You mean when Matic lazily jogged back and switched off defending?

Maguire is a beast, just need a good partner who likes to defend, not Lindelof, Shaw is a great defender and so is Bissaka, then a proper DM not let´s shoehorn the big lad Matic there who can´t track players, neither cover the ground. The we will be super solid. We´re already seing that by just putting Bailly there.

Also only a matter of time when he starts putting in some more goals. He´s got 5-6 goals in him per season along with some great playmaking ability if we need a bit of help from there. With the inflation, it´s similar deal as with Rio for 30mil. Back in the day he had a better team around with experienced manager and a terminator next to him, let´s not forget that. It will come to the point when we will laugh at all those posts of him being not worth it.
No, I mean when Maguire was marking nobody and eventually turned round and noticed his striker was running in behind him and shit himself. He has a bad habit of not knowing about danger behind him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
The price thing is stupid anyway, we paid fecking 35m for Lindelöf, 50m for AWB and City spent 60m every season trying to find CB’s as good as Maguire.
We paid a premium, but the idea he’d have been ”great at 45m” is stupid, he’d have been a fecking steal that price.
Exactly then you can count the dross like Darmian too. When city spend 50-100mil regularly on defenders per year, people don´t even talk about that. It cost them several managalas and stoneses to find laporte or Dias and they are still evaluating them. Also 40mil for back up Aké, not even talking about their fulbacks..

From the investment point of view sometime sit´s better to pay extra and have a better product and so far it seems it´s a very good product, looks to last long at the very least. Being injury free and consistent is certainly a good asset. I´d compare him to Michael Carrick who had perhaps only 1 world class season for us but over years he proved to be a great servant and a very good player who we could win trophies with but Carrick alone wouldn´t be enough he needed his Fletcher, Scholes, Rooney etc..

Giggsy13

It’s clear as day that a Bailly and Maguire partnership is the way forward. Please no more Lindelof, he was clearly the problem that Maguire got the blame for.

Raveneye

It’s clear as day that a Bailly and Maguire partnership is the way forward. Please no more Lindelof, he was clearly the problem that Maguire got the blame for.
There have been plenty of games where Lindelof has been the better defender. It seems unfair to characterize him like he's the one terribly lacking in the partnership.

It's just that Lindelof's strengths overall just aren't as pronounced as Maguire's. Their strengths broadly overlap, but Maguire is just more proactive and ridiculously dominant in the air. Lindelof would still be a great addition to most league teams.

That said, I do agree Maguire is the better long-term option to find a partner for. And right not Bailly is undroppable.

Last edited:

Olecurls99

Playing great. We've conceded 13 goals in 14 games since the nightmare start. That's close to last seasons figures. The defense has done well since the pre season hangover.

el3mel

Apart from one mistake in first half, that was a colossal defensive display from him back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.