Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Maguire doesn't make a mistake. He moves across to support Shaw, pick up the man he has to allow him to move out to the wide man, as the ball travels to Fulham's right centre half. Happens all the time with the odd way we consistently position our left winger (if anything, Maguire occasionally doesn't get over enough/ get over quickly enough). Bailly is free with Wan Bissaka in a set position goal side of the left-sided attacker. As standard, he should also move across the pitch as the ball transitions to the left side of the pitch, but fails to do so.
I agree with this.

Maguire makes a decision not a mistake.

If Maguire decides to stay more central Shaw is at risk of a 2vs1 if Maguire goes to Shaw he leaves space but Bailly behind to cover.

The decision to go was sensible if you trust your defensive partner to move with you as they should.

Equally Maguire could have stayed put and left Shaw in the shit.

Maguire chose to support Shaws press and trust Bailly.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Strange game, I barely noticed him apart from his attacking headers. Speaking of which, would be a great bonus to have more goals out of him. Gets in great positions only to feck it up. Has the potential to provide 5-7 goals a season.

Devil may care

Good game tonight, shame he can't get a header on target in the opposition box but he's winning everything aerialy right now and I thought some of his drives with the ball were very important in us applying the pressure.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maguire shouldn't have vacated his space to press in support of Shaw imo. For me Pogba should've been the one pressing the player to support Shaw. Maguire making the decision he did made us lose our shape. What is the point playing a double pivot if they don't help the fullback off the ball. So for a CB to make such a decision makes little sense when you have two midfielders who should be doing that job.

But like I said in my previous post, these are small details that will be worked on and the only way you learn is when you make mistakes. And the mistake didn't cost us today.

Kag

His heading from corners is something of a parody now. It’s harder to get some of these headers off target. Sort it out.

A-man

His heading from corners is something of a parody now. It’s harder to get some of these headers off target. Sort it out.
Yep, we really need to aim for someone else now because it’s not working is it?!

NinjaFletch

Still unsure how people have Maguire as a solid defender, he's always got this mistake in either his positioning or awareness on a game by game basis which typically leads to goals. Speed is his problem far too lethargic to get across.
Probably by watching our games which is something you, apparently, fail to do.

TheRedHearted

He should spend the whole week practicing attacking headers from corners
I came to say this. Feels as if his headers were a lot more frequent at Leicester but I don’t have the numbers. If he starts scoring those we’ll be so much more dangerous on the corners and will help us a lot in games like these.

Red00012

For a fella that wins so many headers he is so shit at hitting the target

RedStarUnited

I was screaming where are you going before the ball was even played for the first goal. You dont just decide to go press wide without communication.

And thats with me ignoring the bad heading in their box.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I could literally hear him screaming and organising for the last 10 minutes, and helped us secure the win. Not sure what game you watched?
The one where we kept dropping really deep. Thought I'd made that clear.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I was screaming where are you going before the ball was even played for the first goal. You dont just decide to go press wide without communication.

And thats with me ignoring the bad heading in their box.
Think i'll trust Rio's analysis on the goal over yours tbh. Think anyone criticising him for it is being unfair.

PaulScholes99

Not criticising his defending, but it's unreal how many headers he wins at corners without scoring. Genuinely think I've seen him win at least 10 headers at corners this season, probably closer to 15, and he hasn't scored a single one
He scored from a corner vs Newcastle this season but it is true that he should score more often or at least get more headers on target. That is the one thing he really needs to improve.
Unfortunately his perfect header against Burnley was ruled out despite being a fine goal and there was definitely no foul. It would have been good for his confidence at attacking headers.

Last year it was worse. He missed so much sitters it was criminal, i thought he should have scored something between 4-6 goals last year and he only had 1. This year he should probably have 2 (and the goal vs Burnley) but only has 1. I think a lot of people don‘t realise that headers are really hard to score and also other teams miss a lot from corners.

I hope he can improve at heading as he is fantastic at winning the headers. If he improves he could be really dangerous and score 4-6 per season.

Furthermore i think he has a problem at defensive headers. Same problem, he wins so many aerial duels but it doesn‘t look like he is able to control the direction good enough. He heads so much (easy) balls directly to the opponents. Today there was one scene where he had a really easy header in the first half and just headed ir into height but at least he also managed to win the second header and secured possession for us. But he made it harder than it should have been.

Otherwise i am really happy with him. He is no prime Vidic/Ferdinand but after his comical start to the season he has regained his confidence and i think he is constantly a 7-8/10 because he is really solid defensively and in contrast to a lot of other people i think he is very good on the ball. Plays a lot of good and progressive passes (most of them to Shaw), is good under pressure and you can‘t really take the ball of him when he is dribbling. His dribbling doesn‘t look esthetic but it does it works, he can shield the ball really well. Sometimes he is a bit to slow with the ball and could pass it a bit faster.

The Oracle

I would much rather he was in the starting 11 than out of it.

I think he has grown in to being an integral part of the team.

The only issue I have with him, is that for the amount of header's he wins from our corners, he really should be converting them into a few goals.
He really needs to hit the target more often - especially when it's literally a free header he has.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know what has happened to him. He was highest scoring CB when he was at Leicester, he has missed at least 10 easy goals since joining us in 1.5 years. Hope he starts scoring soon. We need goals from all possible situations and from all players

On the game he was good. Apart from few poor games he is having very good season.

Red & White

Another solid performance bar some positional issues with the Fulham goal at the start of the game. Also, he finally gets over a free header from a corner and it’s 6 wide! Honestly think if he gets a couple of decent headed goals from set pieces he could be another Bruce for us with regards to goal contributions from a CB.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know what has happened to him. He was highest scoring CB when he was at Leicester, he has missed at least 10 easy goals since joining us in 1.5 years. Hope he starts scoring soon. We need goals from all possible situations and from all players

On the game he was good. Apart from few poor games he is having very good season.
He's -1.2 on expected goals since joining us. -1.0 this season. If that goal wasn't disallowed last week he'd be pretty much on par. Last night was his biggest miss from a corner I can remember. A lot of his misses from corners are difficult chances. Last night was a clear header.

roonster09

Scout
He's -1.2 on expected goals since joining us. -1.0 this season. If that goal wasn't disallowed last week he'd be pretty much on par. Last night was his biggest miss from a corner I can remember. A lot of his misses from corners are difficult chances. Last night was a clear header.
Usually players don't get at the end of these chances, when they do they usually score. Maguire does all the hard work and then misses the last touch.

I don't know what was the value for each chance, but when watching the game I always felt that chance should be easy goal for a CB.

Classical Mechanic

Usually players don't get at the end of these chances, when they do they usually score. Maguire does all the hard work and then misses the last touch.

I don't know what was the value for each chance, but when watching the game I always felt that chance should be easy goal for a CB.
Headers have a lot lower xG than people seem to realise. Corners also have much lower conversion rate than people realise too. A lot of the balls that he gets his head on he's under a lot of defensive pressure and remember that corners are a long ball whipped in. I think last night was a good chance and a poor attempt though.

I think he should have a couple more goals to his name this season.

roonster09

Scout
Headers have a lot lower xG than people seem to realise. Corners also have much lower conversion rate than people realise too. A lot of the balls that he gets his head on he's under a lot of defensive pressure and remember that corners are a long ball whipped in. I think last night was a good chance and a poor attempt though.

Yeah that's fair enough, usually when your player gets a good contact from set pieces, we expect goals.

He is so good at attacking the ball, if he somehow gets them on target, it will be like 2012-13 season where we had around 14 goals in league from defenders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree with this.

If Maguire decides to stay more central Shaw is at risk of a 2vs1 if Maguire goes to Shaw he leaves space but Bailly behind to cover.

The decision to go was sensible if you trust your defensive partner to move with you as they should.

yet that decision proved to be incorrect as;

A: Shaw didn't press out, he stayed in position like expected.

B: You always defend the centre of the pitch, that is the most important part. He ends up leaving a huge gap for an easy run through the middle. There was little danger for him to come across in that situation, it's just a bad judgement call.

Put it this way, that goal doesn't happen if he holds his position, they might get an attack going down the right but we can get back into formation and deal with it, instead he creates an even worse problem by running off to the left back position!

IF Shaw was getting double teamed i'd understand it, but he just moves over far too early, the ball hadn't even been played to that channel.

Fracture90

Maguire had absolutely no reason to step in towards Shaw for Fulham's goal. Shaw had his man covered and Martial was tracking their RB. It's was a wrong decision from Maguire. Even if they somehow managed to go past Shaw, they'd be forced wide.

Jonno

Maguire had absolutely no reason to step in towards Shaw for Fulham's goal. Shaw had his man covered and Martial was tracking their RB. It's was a wrong decision from Maguire. Even if they somehow managed to go past Shaw, they'd be forced wide.
I presume you've never played at any level at 11-a-side football?

Maguire HAD to go out to deal with the player and area Shaw had vacated as Shaw was rightfully going to deal with an overload, If Maguire hadn't moved over to the space Shaw left, the ball would have been passed right into. Do you know what would have happened then? Half of the Caf would have criticised him for just standing there and leaving Shaw with a 2 on1. He can't win with you lot. \

Ferdinand even said, "Maguire has decided to go over and take the man near Shaw, which is fine". So Im not sure why if one of the worlds best ever CB's is saying it's fine, but some agenda-driven internet poster is saying it's not fine.

But because Maguire did shuffle over, he needed his CB partner to then mirror what Shaw and Maguire had done. Thats what good CB partners do. Fulham spotted the space, they then shifted the ball over to the centre and passed into the space Bailly should have shuffled over to. Bailly could see everything, and chose not to shuffle over. He just stood there playing a half-hearted offside. Bailly had enough red shirts to his right and behind him to realise it was safe to move over by 5-10 yards. Not difficult, more complacency than ability levels.

Poor decision from Bailly right at the start, but he's a very good player.

How people blame Maguire for rightfully dealing with an overload is beyond me.

Maguire's form has been excellent during this run to the top of the table.

Last edited:

Jonno

I agree with this.

I replied to some other poster trying to say exactly this, but this is better!

Lentwood

Been immense since that dodgy start, which was perhaps understandable given the ordeal he went through over the Summer.

I just don’t understand why people can’t get behind our captain. There’s enough people lining up to knock Utd. Sure, be realistic and provide constructive criticism but some of the comments on here are insane.

Jonno

Should have bagged last night. But that goal against Burnley, was as beautiful as Pogba's strike last night. To rise like that, beat his man, smash the ball over the keeper, into the far corner when its a tight 0-0, it was a proper captains goal and it was a disgrace that it was disallowed.

If that goal counts, people wouldn't be on his back so much. Should have scored last night though, or at least hit the target.

Jonno

Been immense since that dodgy start, which was perhaps understandable given the ordeal he went through over the Summer.

I just don’t understand why people can’t get behind our captain. There’s enough people lining up to knock Utd. Sure, be realistic and provide constructive criticism but some of the comments on here are insane.
Mate, its scandalous. Since he signed, captained us, anchored our defence and has been practically ever present, we've had the best clean sheet record in Europe last season, and we're conceding about 0.5 goals per game in our current run of form that's taken us top of the league. All I will say, is the same critics must not enjoy Pogba scoring, Ole succeeding, they probably want us to struggle so they can be justified on an Internet forum. Shambles.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree with this.

We have seen this before, against Sevilla and other times. The defensive partner shifts across and so does the fullback leaving us exposed or light on one side. It wasnt a good decision as Rio pointed out.

Doesnt excuse Bailly not covering though, but Maguire should only move across if Shaw goes to the winger which he didnt. Don’t blame him for the goal but not point saying it wasnt a poor decision when it clearly was and a seasoned CB has already said so

Fracture90

I presume you've never played at any level at 11-a-side football?

Maguire HAD to go out to deal with the player and area Shaw had vacated as Shaw was rightfully going to deal with an overload, If Maguire hadn't moved over to the space Shaw left, the ball would have been passed right into. Do you know what would have happened then? Half of the Caf would have criticised him for just standing there and leaving Shaw with a 2 on1. He can't win with you lot. \

Ferdinand even said, "Maguire has decided to go over and take the man near Shaw, which is fine". So Im not sure why if one of the worlds best ever CB's is saying it's fine, but some agenda-driven internet poster is saying it's not fine.

But because Maguire did shuffle over, he needed his CB partner to then mirror what Shaw and Maguire had done. Thats what good CB partners do. Fulham spotted the space, they then shifted the ball over to the centre and passed into the space Bailly should have shuffled over to. Bailly could see everything, and chose not to shuffle over. He just stood there playing a half-hearted offside. Bailly had enough red shirts to his right and behind him to realise it was safe to move over by 5-10 yards. Not difficult, more complacency than ability levels.

Poor decision from Bailly right at the start, but he's a very good player.

How people blame Maguire for rightfully dealing with an overload is beyond me.

Maguire's form has been excellent during this run to the top of the table.
I presume that everyone who opens like this is an arrogant cnut that uses this line to automatically positions himself to look as if he/she knows better than the person on the other side of the discussion.

He had absolutely no business being there considering Fred was there as well and he would have closed in on the runner if one was there. But hey, don't let me stop you from employing your superior Sunday league 3 a side knowledge to convince me otherwise.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We have seen this before, against Sevilla and other times. The defensive partner shifts across and so does the fullback leaving us exposed or light on one side. It wasnt a good decision as Rio pointed out.

Doesnt excuse Bailly not covering though, but Maguire should only move across if Shaw goes to the winger which he didnt. Don’t blame him for the goal but not point saying it wasnt a poor decision when it clearly was and a seasoned CB has already said so
Rio said it was fine to do what he did.

You shift to deal with overloads. The major threat was their RW and RB being 2 for 1 on Shaw. Maguire moving across cut that option out for Fulham so their midfielder reassessed the situation and saw space vacated by Maguire but not covered by Bailly.

As I said Maguire made a decision it was fine to make that decision if you trust your partner. Maguire has done this many times with Lindelof filling in central with no issue.

Now the issue we do often have with overloads particularly when they occur on our left flank is that AWB often then gets left to deal with a cross filed pass over his head which he’s not comfortable with.

So what we saw last night was what happens when the other CB switches off and doesn’t fill in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So, why is he to blamed for the goal again? :confused: :confused: :( I don’t see anything wrong with what he did for the Fulham goal. He was following his man, Pogba didn’t follow his man because he was aware where Bailly was so he thought it was offside but of course Bissaka had different idea.Bissaka the one played onside, full back shouldn’t be behind the line of the last centre back.

I thought Maguire did very well again defensively too and his progressive ball in that match also good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.