Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red & White

Thought he’d get a rest tomorrow night but I can’t see it. Lindelof can’t play two games in a few days with his back and Bailly is either still injured or just coming back from an injury, so I don’t think Tuanzebe starts alongside him when he’s in the headlines for making mistakes/ lack of form. May be good to throw Tuanzebe straight back in there, if he is to have an improved rest of the season when called upon. I’d play Maguire and Bailly if both are 100%, though.

croadyman

Thought he’d get a rest tomorrow night but I can’t see it. Lindelof can’t play two games in a few days with his back and Bailly is either still injured or just coming back from an injury, so I don’t think Tuanzebe starts alongside him when he’s in the headlines for making mistakes/ lack of form. May be good to throw Tuanzebe straight back in there, if he is to have an improved rest of the season when called upon. I’d play Maguire and Bailly if both are 100%, though.
Think there was a slim possibility he might have been given a rest if we hadn't drawn a decent PL team, could be wrong but pretty sure he didn't start the tie against Watford so needed another of those games really but no luck.

bsCallout

Your view is bizzare. Basically people have to see what you want them to see.
Do you need to work on your comprehension?

The point is the captaincy and price tag should be irrelevant. He didn't choose either and the only question should be whether he is good enough or at least better than the rest we have. Now we can debate that all day long. But people always resort to 'he's not good enough because he's not worth 80m and doesn't deserve isn't captain material'.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Think there was a slim possibility he might have been given a rest if we hadn't drawn a decent PL team, could be wrong but pretty sure he didn't start the tie against Watford so needed another of those games really but no luck.
Said it before over and over again. Good manager should prioritized smartly by looking at his team. Instead of taking every competitions available out there. We have a very limited good players. They simply couldn't perform 100% if played so many games within short time period. Fatigue that leads to lack of focus, and resulting errors.

It's just so naive.

bsCallout

Said it before over and over again. Good manager should prioritized smartly by looking at his team. Instead of taking every competitions available out there. We have a very limited good players. They simply couldn't perform 100% if played so many games within short time period. Fatigue that leads to lack of focus, and resulting errors.

It's just so naive.
To be fair, we aren't really blessed with fit CBs that can be relied upon when needed. It's hard to swap both out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
To be fair, we aren't really blessed with fit CBs that can be relied upon when needed. It's hard to swap both out.
Exactly. Our attackers are limited too. But what do we do? We went hard on League Cup, Champions League (and now Europa League), and FA Cup, on top of the League. Knowing that our squad have limited good players.

That's just silly and naive, imho. Ole needs to prioritize, just like any good managers in every line of works.

bsCallout

Exactly. Our attackers are limited too. But what do we do? We went hard on League Cup, Champions League (and now Europa League), and FA Cup, on top of the League. Knowing that our squad have limited good players. Ole needs to prioritize, just like any good managers in every line of works.

That's just silly and naive, imho.
I think he's rotated quite well actually and used the squad well, except for Rashford, Bruno and Maguire. Compared to other teams we've rotated a lot. It also doesn't help that we started the prem so badly and had such a tough CL group.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think he's rotated quite well actually and used the squad well, except for Rashford, Bruno and Maguire. Compared to other teams we've rotated a lot. It also doesn't help that we started the prem so badly and had such a tough CL group.
Add to that with AWB (so almost half the team). For December and January, we played 18 games in total. So, 1 game in every ~3 days in the last 2 months on average. Unless we have Barca's or Bayern's team doctors, that is just too much for any player. We rotate, but really not much because the lack of quality in the squad.

bsCallout

Add to that with AWB. For December and January, we played 18 games in total. So, 1 game in every ~3 days in the last 2 months on average. Unless we have Barca's or Bayern's team doctors, that is just too much for any player. We rotate, but really not much because the lack of quality in the squad.
Yes, you're right, AWB too. Hopefully with a few starters in the summer our squad rotation will look much better. Unfortunately we'd need to buy a backup RB as well as starting players.

Theyre all important but some big decisions will need to be made this summer, picking which areas we most need because we can't fill them all.

Difficult job for Ole because results matter and if he sends out weak teams in any cup and we lose it will go against him. We don't have many at youth level pushing for a place in our key areas either. I'd probably bring Brandon in RB short term.

I really hope they scrap European ties due to Covid to be honest.

Matt851

It's just so naive.
I agree

We have a weird squad which is deep in some areas but heavily reliant on a small number of key players who rarely get rests

Dante

Average bang
His lack of pace is being overstated.

For Everton's first, it was a decent pass around the corner and Maguire did well to push DCL into an uncrossable position. It only became a goal because of DDG's assist.

Artorias

I agree

We have a weird squad which is deep in some areas but heavily reliant on a small number of key players who rarely get rests
Agree. When we are winning by 3 or more goals, he should sub Bruno, Maguire, Rashford and Cavani.

A-man

Add to that with AWB (so almost half the team). For December and January, we played 18 games in total. So, 1 game in every ~3 days in the last 2 months on average. Unless we have Barca's or Bayern's team doctors, that is just too much for any player. We rotate, but really not much because the lack of quality in the squad.
The whole back line has been rotated very little: Maguire, AWB, Shaw and Lindelof have more or less only been rested when injured. Last season DDG and Maguire played every game in the league, and Lindelof and AWB almost every game. Maguire wasn’t even rotated in the EL or domestic cups.
AWB has played every CL game this season and Lindelof, Maguire and DDG all but one.

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If anything summed up the game tonight it was him getting MOTM then immediately putting Henderson under pressure with a dodgy backpass.

A-man

If anything summed up the game tonight it was him getting MOTM then immediately putting Henderson under pressure with a dodgy backpass.
That was close, agree, but apart from that he was good. Very dominant in the air tonight, lost count of how many aerials he won but it was many.

Classical Mechanic

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
His lack of pace is being overstated.

For Everton's first, it was a decent pass around the corner and Maguire did well to push DCL into an uncrossable position. It only became a goal because of DDG's assist.
Completely agree. If I had a nickel for every time Maguire has been beat for pace I'd have about 25 cents maybe. Some will point out Tottenham last year. He wasn't beat for pace, he was caught flat footed. Big difference. Not that it makes it any better, but Maguire is usually very smart with his positioning and rarely gets beat for pace. As much as I would like to see him partnered with someone faster than Lindelof, pace is such an overrated attribute for a centre half...

A-man

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Solid performance. Gets too much shit and rarely much if any credit when it's due like today. He is treated like a real United player, which is fine because he needs to improve but fair dues he did this game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Completely agree. If I had a nickel for every time Maguire has been beat for pace I'd have about 25 cents maybe. Some will point out Tottenham last year. He wasn't beat for pace, he was caught flat footed. Big difference. Not that it makes it any better, but Maguire is usually very smart with his positioning and rarely gets beat for pace. As much as I would like to see him partnered with someone faster than Lindelof, pace is such an overrated attribute for a centre half...
I don't think that is totally accurate. In a partnership, considering tactics and style of play it is vital. Having pace next to a slow CB gives you a lot of freedom to play, unless the guy is experienced in the setup anyways then it might not matter that much. In the same way as having David Silva is important to get the ball in the pockets, but he really thrives if you manage to strike the balance of having a quick player in front of him to stretch a team and go on runs. Without it, it limits his potential.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It is. We saw Upemecano done against us by a ball in behind. Stones and Dias aren't quick.

We'd arguably be better getting someone similarly as dominant in the air alongside him rather than focusing on pace. Set pieces alone at both ends of the pitch would benefit.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The only reason why Henderson was under pressure was because he didn't boot it out first touch like he should have. And what's wrong with giving MOTM to a guy who was slated in the media last game? Especially in a game where our defense helped to keep a clean sheet...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Do you need to work on your comprehension?

The point is the captaincy and price tag should be irrelevant. He didn't choose either and the only question should be whether he is good enough or at least better than the rest we have. Now we can debate that all day long. But people always resort to 'he's not good enough because he's not worth 80m and doesn't deserve isn't captain material'.
He is not good enough, not worth 80m and does not deserve to be the captain, not he is not good enough because he's not worth 80m.

You're mixing it up. My post was basically refering to people defending him and hoping that if we buy another good CB, Maguire will finally show his worth. If he is not doing it now, he probably won't do it even with better players around. He has no competition, has all the time he needs to settle in, and has no one to eclipse his performances. If he looks bad in a great team, fair enough but that is not the case. He's been alright so far but i dont think alright is good enough for ManUtd first CB.

If there's one thing he's improved in our CB department is the injury record. Not playing from the back, not composure, not positioning - the things we all expected from him.

Last edited:

ash_86

Had a really good game and dominated aerially which is forte of the west ham players. Not sure if he was the MOTM but he was up there in the mix i suppose. Credits to him when he was good.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I felt he was very shaky and not his regular self. I hope he is not melting under pressure.
Except for a few crumbs, West ham were restricted to absolutely nothing. Surely this counts as a plus for the defenders?

Kostov

Except for a few crumbs, West ham were restricted to absolutely nothing. Surely this counts as a plus for the defenders?
It counts, but some of the defending was not up to the required level, and could have easily cost us. I'm glad we got past it and especially Harry and I hope he gets back to his usual more assured self.

Jonno

He is not good enough, not worth 80m and does not deserve to be the captain, not he is not good enough because he's not worth 80m.
Why do some fans care so much about transfer fees, you support Man United, the biggest football team in England, one of the biggest on the globe. They can afford to buy a Maguire every summer, and what comes with that is the unfortunate Man United tax. Is that Maguires fault? No. Ole’s? No.

Let me tell you now, if we didn’t sign Maguire last season, we would not have finished top 4, and as such we would have lost millions. His fee paid for itself in 1 season. And in this season, he’s been largely good, bar one or two poor performances. But he’s done enough to help us to 2nd place, another quarter final, another semi final. You won’t see it or remember it, because you don’t want to..... but he’s helped us see out a lot of games where we’ve narrowly won 3 points and headed into a title race.

Give your head a wobble and stop fretting over the fact he’s probably a 50-60m defender and not an 80m defender.

Whether you like it or not he’s helped us raise the standard, we’ve gone from a team un 6th to a team who are now top 3.

He’s been a good signing, and another CB will complete the jigsaw.

Lets be clear, our old CBs before Maguire we’re not good enough, and the CBs who play with him now, are still not good enough. Hence we have shipped 2 out the door, hence we keep toying with playing Bailly and Lindelof....

It was always a long term project to go out and revamp the team, its not straightforward to just go and buy the ideal CB, ask all the other top clubs. Liverpool waited patiently for VVD, City for Diaz. Just be patient, let Ole complete the jigsaw.

Not seeing that Maguire has improved us, simply moaning about his fee, is lazy, agenda driven posting

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Why do some fans care so much about transfer fees, you support Man United, the biggest football team in England, one of the biggest on the globe. They can afford to buy a Maguire every summer, and what comes with that is the unfortunate Man United tax. Is that Maguires fault? No. Ole’s? No.

Let me tell you now, if we didn’t sign Maguire last season, we would not have finished top 4, and as such we would have lost millions. His fee paid for itself in 1 season. And in this season, he’s been largely good, bar one or two poor performances. But he’s done enough to help us to 2nd place, another quarter final, another semi final. You won’t see it or remember it, because you don’t want to..... but he’s helped us see out a lot of games where we’ve narrowly won 3 points and headed into a title race.

Give your head a wobble and stop fretting over the fact he’s probably a 50-60m defender and not an 80m defender.

Whether you like it or not he’s helped us raise the standard, we’ve gone from a team un 6th to a team who are now top 3.

Lets be clear, our old CBs before Maguire we’re not good enough, and the CBs who play with him now, are still not good enough. Hence we have shipped 2 out the door, hence we keep toying with playing Bailly and Lindelof....

It was always a long term project to go out and revamp the team, its not straightforward to just go and buy the ideal CB, ask all the other top clubs. Liverpool waited patiently for VVD, City for Diaz. Just be patient, let Ole complete the jigsaw.

Not seeing that Maguire has improved us, simply moaning about his fee, is lazy, agenda driven posting
Agenda driven posting would mean i want him out. I don't want him out. However, I still don't think he's good enough to be our main CB. Maybe a new signing could be, as you said we're still waiting for our VVD.

It's the part where some posters blamed other players but not Maguire, even if he's partly responsible that is agenda driven.

acnumber9

I’m not sure how a centre back can get man of the match in a game where the opposition didn’t even try to attack.

Jericho

Just a comment about his general play this season, and I'm sure it's been said before: Someone needs to break it to him that's he not Beckenbauer. Holds the ball too long, takes too many touches, and his forward rushes leaves a huge hole in the back and usually results in him losing the ball, or giving it to someone with just enough space to make a backpass anyway

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

I really don't understand the agenda against Maguire. Why are people scapegoating our best central defender? You don't improve a team by getting rid of it's best players. Maguire is in fact our best central defender and the comparisons with the others isn't even close. This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. What we need is a player who can play with him, not someone to replace him. I really don't understand why people rate him based on what we paid and because he wears the armband. These are both things that he didn't chose. But it seems like some people watch our games and rather than notice all the good things that he does, they just look for something bad. Someone in this thread has gone as far as to say he looked shaky yesterday vs West Ham. WTF? If that's not an agenda against a player then I don't know what is...

Status
Not open for further replies.