Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Sociedad 0:4 Man Utd

A-man

Solid game, hardly put a foot wrong except the lost header at the end. Showed some good speed when he saved Bailly in first half with sprint and a tackle.

Frank White

Thought he was great tonight barely put a foot wrong which is surprising after watching the first 10 mins where he looked like he was in for a long night. Happy with that.

slored1

See, he's great when paired with a quick defender. No more Lindelöf, please.

Devil may care

I disagree completely. He's been labelled a fridge by social media. His transfer fee gets brought up in every conversation on Sky Sports. He gets bashed a lot by opposition fans, and by some of his own fans. Lindelof gets bashed because he's been here quite a few years now and never really been anything other than 6/10 at best, and often found being outmuscled, outstrengthed, out jumped, out paced. He's also had very little say on our form, or fortunes. He just plays through it whether we're 7th or 1st and has very little dramatically positive impacts. I think most fans can acknowledge he is not a top level CB. He would be playing week in week out at a Southampton, a Villa, he'd probably get in Arsenal's team. Thats about it.
Social media is it's own world mate and I have to admit I'm an old fart and don't partake, I know he gets criticism on here and I've called him a fridge myself, but from the commentary and analysis I see he is hardly ever to blame, it's always Lindelof or De Gea, and there just isn't the level of fee beatdown Pogba has received, it's standard English player protection though unless it's Sterling, but that's a different topic.

I'm purely comparing Maguire to Vidic in a pace comparison, nothing else. I did say this in my previous post. I don't understand your view that Maguire wasn't good enough v's West Brom. What did he do that wasn't good enough? He was defensively solid apart from when he was illegally fouled, drove us forward, almost won us a penalty, almost scored the winner. If that header flys in at the end, the whole world would be posting how his leadership made a difference. We're back to where we were about 6 posts ago. Where did he pretend he was Baresi? When did he accept zero blame? He regularly comes out and says "we weren't good enough", which is literally the definition of taking blame.
When you summon the demon Vidic mate you have to examine everything he brought to the table to balance out his lack of pace, it wasn't like Rio protected him, he was a great CB for us when he partnered with Evans, O'Shea or Brown as well, not just with Rio. In the West Brom game as a big CB who is the supposed leader he should have made sure he didn’t leave Lindelof against a striker who was their only threat and whose main attribute is strength.
I want to see less "we" and more individual self awareness when he’s at fault, like against Everton.

We've won more without him because of the cycle of the team and the management. We won more with Ashley Young playing every week but I can categorically list you 8-9 players in our current line up that is a level above Ashley Young. You can't just say Maguire is inferior because since he's been here we've not won anything. If that's the case, Steven Gerrard isn't as good as Darren Fletcher.
Sure but you have to also look at the fact we are the worst side in the top 10 for goals conceded and he's the supposed kingpin of the defense. At any rate I know he'll be a nailed on starter for as long as Ole is manager hopefully we can revisit this in a years time with the signing we need having been made and you giving me an "I told you so" speech. :D

The only reason I keep posting in this thread, is because he's unfairly bashed when he puts decent performances out. That's the bottom line. The post-match knee-jerkers (not you, for what its worth!) annoy me and I take them on and reply saying "No Maguire is not awful", he played alright. And then it spirals every time :lol:
Haha! Well I can say from my end I always enjoy a civil debate and this has been that. :)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Was let down by his CB partner tonight and stepped up. Excellent performance.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was a pleasure seeing him partnered with Bailly again, it's got the makings of a good partnership.

Red & White

Solid performance. Made a couple of very good blocks, which don’t always get the credit they deserve. Decent game and looked good next to Bailly after the initial 10minutes settling in time.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Bailly is such a better player when partnered with someone with pace like Maguire.

You read that right. Maguire saved his arse with that tackle on Isak.

Redlyn

I am sure you are trying to make a point about how Bailly let him down....but not coming across sorry. If you look at it closely Bailly had just about covered him and McGuire came in and made it certain. But don't let me stop your Bailly bash fest.

Last edited:

Redlyn

I am sure you're going to pretend there was nothing wrong in this clip...
It's not what you are trying to make it that's for sure. One would think we conceeded. Without McGuire he did enough in the end to stop him bearing straight at goal. I would freeze the shot if I was bothered.

kundalini

Super defending to cut out one dangerous cross and I was surprised when he got back to tackle Isak, who had been in a race with Bailly.

ivaldo

Maguire isn't making that tackle if Bailly do want have pace to keep up with the striker

Anyway Maguire was great and compliments well with Bailly
Maguire doesn't have to make that challenge if his CB partner doesn't get skinned on the half way line as the last defender. Stop that clip at 7 seconds. Bailly is deeper than Maguire at that point. There's also absolutely no way their CF should be a hairs breadth away from getting a shot on goal. And the thing is, there was two significant mistakes before that moment too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lindelof is pretty quick, it's not really that. It's more the aggression of Bailly (and Bailly is more agile in general, for sure), but also you need both your centerbacks to be able to handle themselves physically. Bailly will rarely ever get out-muscled because of his aggressiveness and mentality. Lindelof is a bit reserved and needs to be next to someone more aggressive, just like Maguire does.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire's "lack of pace" is extremely over rated. I prefer him with Bailly, but in the first half when Bailly's man got away from him it was Maguire who caught him and got the toe in. If I had a nickel for every time Maguire's "lack of pace" cost us a goal I would have about 15 cents...

Redlyn

Okey doke. I'll leave you to your delusion.
And I to your hate boner.. you focus on the fact he was skinned and ignore the fact he had the pace to recover and make this about letting down McGuire. Makes sense.

ivaldo

And I to your hate boner..
Just kiss your Bailly picture goodnight and enjoy your wet dreams...

As an aside; an ellipsis has three dots. It's not important, but if you're going to use them relentlessly, the very least you can do is get it right.

Redlyn

Of course. They all did well, tonight I'm happily kissing all their pictures. Bailly for being generally good and making an assist rarely seen from a CB, McGuire for being commanding. I'll leave you now to your Bailly snides.

AltiUn

That's fantastic team work more than anything, yeah, Bailly didn't do well initially but keeping pace with him was enough to force the attacker wide into Maguire. This is the sort of partnership we should be after.

ivaldo

That's fantastic team work more than anything, yeah, Bailly didn't do well initially but keeping pace with him was enough to force the attacker wide into Maguire. This is the sort of partnership we should be after.
See I prefer we don't make horrible errors that we have to recover from, but thats just me.

ivaldo

Of course. They all did well, tonight I'm happily kissing all their pictures. Bailly for being generally good and making an assist rarely seen from a CB, McGuire for being commanding. I'll leave you now to your Bailly snides.
McGuire... It's really not that hard.

Foxbatt

I agree with you that is how teamwork shows. Bailly forced him to make hurried decisions and I was surprised by the pace of Maguire. He blocked a goal bound ball too and had a good game. Maybe it is better for him to play with Bailly than Lindelof.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

As an aside; an ellipsis has three dots. It's not important, but if you're going to use them relentlessly, the very least you can do is get it right.
He took one away for Baillys “spotless” performance.

AltiUn

See I prefer we don't make horrible errors that we have to recover from, but thats just me.
Nor do I. But we've been letting attackers run clean through us all season, it happened against West Brom and we were incredibly lucky not to concede from that either. What I do like is that in this instance we had enough pace to make up for it. I don't think Bailly's the answer to our problems, but I do think he's more the answer than Lindelof, until we get a good CB in summer at least.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agree mate. Both CBs are defending high up the pitch as the last line and Isak (who is quick) receives the ball and is running through but Bailly keep ups and Isak is then pressured to take a touch to his right which enables Maguire to get a touch on the ball. So I agree, it was good defending as a pair and it was good to see both CBs playing high up the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.