Player Agents: Triple S Sports
Squad Number: #5
Contract until: 30.06.2025
Contract option: Option for a further year
Outfitter: Nike​

Last edited:

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Is a bit overrated as a defender. Maybe 'cos he is club captain.

Hope he raises the bar. Once he's out from behind bars that is.

acnumber9

The crime he committed in Greece couldn’t have been any worse than that performance. He was almost as bad as Lee Mason.

Based Adnan

Got exposed today. Looked like a deer in headlights whenever he was exposed 1v1 and the less said about his distribution the better. Far too many performances like today.

dutchred

i said it when we were trying to buy him and I say it again he is a carthorse. Nothing special in him. How could he be the most expensive defender in the world. I would rather see Tengi given a chance.
On dutch TV this guy is a laughing stock.

snowkarl

Got exposed today. Looked like a deer in headlights whenever he was exposed 1v1 and the less said about his distribution the better. Far too many performances like today.
People blame Lindelöf every time because he is the easy scapegoat but why do you think Shaw and Lindelöf are always out of position?

Because Maguire is legitimately the slowest player we've ever had. He's never in position quick enough so everyone is panicking to cover for him.

Either way. Every centre back we've bought for like 10 years has been poor, it's a structural issue at this point, despite his poor performance.

Also - his passing is atrocious. People say we bought him for his ball playing ability and yes, it's fairly accurate, but if you look at how elite players pass the ball you'll notice a big difference - their passing allows the receiver to turn and pass forward and their passing is not always to the obvious receiver. Maguire just isn't smart enough to make these passes.

GenZRed

An average defender. We are the only club, apart from perhaps Barcelona who would spend such a vast sum on such an average payer.

SaboTaj

His distribution was poor today, but to be fair to him he wasn’t responsible for the goals we conceded.

flappyjay

His distribution was poor today, but to be fair to him he wasn’t responsible for the goals we conceded.
He didn't help either which is a problem. His position is of a quick cb but he is slow as feck. He is never in the equation when a team's counters hence no chance to feck up.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He didn't help either which is a problem. His position is of a quick cb but he is slow as feck. He is never in the equation when a team's counters hence no chance to feck up.
Thats called fecking up. What is he doing on the first goal? How can a ball go right across your box and you are not there to cut it out?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He needs a pacy partner but we have a Lindelof. Either Lindelof needs to be replaced or this guy . Both were below average today.

dev1l

He needs a pacy partner but we have a Lindelof. Either Lindelof needs to be replaced or this guy . Both were below average today.
His ideal partner at us would be Tuanzebe...but that hasn't been possible. Hopefully Mengi will emerge.
As for Bailly, he lacks composure.

Jaykespeare88

Even without pace what are his strengths? Would he be the dominant CB if we went and brought between a top 10-20 CB in the world? His build up archetype reputation is well over rated aswell.

SaboTaj

Not saying he had a good game or does not have holes in his game, but he isn’t the main problem. Playing alongside someone like Lindelof makes things worse. I actually thought he did okay when left one-on-one with his man or while covering his side of the pitch.

As far as the first goal is concerned, he didn’t do himself any favours with his questionable positioning, but a low cross from that position should’ve never been allowed in the first place. I mean look at where Lindelof is relative to the Palace player (Schlupp?) who crossed the ball in; schoolboy defending from Lindelof.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We brought him for a world record fee and made him captain. The expectations should be high but he's not living up to it and can't him getting better.

It was pretty obvious at the time he wasn't worth the fee but you hope the club did their research considering how much we paid for him but no. He's an upgrade on Smalling but that's not saying much.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This supposed character and leadership of Maguire's...when are we actually going to see evidence of it? His positioning was awful and his use of the ball was equally bad. £80m? Leicester took us for a right ride.

el3mel

That was his standard 6/10 performance. There's really nothing more to say. He's an above average defender putting on above average performances. Not bad, not great, just that.

Untd55

We spent £80m on a player who is no better than Smalling defensively. Actually, he is probably worse because he doesn't have Smalling's pace.

He may be a better passer, but what does that matter if you are playing a midfielder ahead of him who can't pass? Defending is a centre-back's primary job, not passing.

If you are spending that much on a centre back, I would expect someone of Van Dijks level, or close to him at least.

People keep on saying we need a fast centre back to offset him being slow, but is it not better to have two fast centre-backs? Why do you need to compromise?

3/10 today. Toyed with all game by Zaha.

Ed9

Wasn't good today. Still a top player once he gets going.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
That was his standard 6/10 performance. There's really nothing more to say. He's an above average defender putting on above average performances. Not bad, not great, just that.
Tbf having someone like Lindelof next to you can be very depressing and mentally draining. Maybe a better CB next to Maguire elevate his performance too. But yeah he is typical 6-7/10 kind of player.

Devil may care

Poor on and off the ball but the leadership was superb, the way he shouted at Shaw and pointed to the grass "Luke! I've lost the fecking ball again and I'm too slow to get back, run for me Luke, run!"...... Magnificent!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He shits the bed when he gets pressed. So much for ball playing CB. Watching us build from back is equivalent to someone running their nails on blackboard

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Honestly we have been so bad with recruiting CBs I can’t blame the board for being reluctant to sign another.

Status
Not open for further replies.