Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
Keane and the press are gonna attack him/United regardless of what happens. That shouldn't dictate what we do. Maguire needs some time off to get his head in order. Continuing to persist right now is only damaging him in the long term.

They will only attack him if he keeps making errors . Keane and every other United player had bad games but they didn't take time off to get their head right. If Maguire needs that then he is even more pathetic than i thought .

LJJT

He’s a good player, one of our and England’s better players. He put in a monumental effort last season and had a good first year with us. Combination of burn out and this legal thing clearly damaged his confidence. Just needs to play his way back in to form

coolhand1969

Oh please, this is the exact molly coddling that is wrong with the world at the moment. He is a professional footballer paid hundreds of thousands of pounds who has had off field problems because he got drunk.

What he needs to do is roll his sleeves up, get his head down and work his way through a bad period of form. This is rightly or wrongly an £80m player and the captain of the club and you say he should be given a break for a few weeks because he is getting slaughtered for basically being absolutely crap for 3 or 4 games, pathetic.....and here comes "he is a human being"
YES!

Cloud7

They will only attack him if he keeps making errors . Keane and every other United player had bad games but they didn't take time off to get their head right. If Maguire needs that then he is even more pathetic than i thought .
Keane and the other players were top quality players, both on the field and mentally. Maguire is a decent at best player on the field, and I won't make any comments yet on his on field mental state since this is the first time we're seeing him attempting to get through a bad patch. In all likelihood Maguire isn't on the level of the players gone by, but for now he's here and we have to figure out how best to use him while he is here. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is the situation we find ourselves in.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Remember when United fans used to rally around and support their players when they were going through difficult times? I liked it better then.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Feel sorry for him. His true level isn't this low, it's clearly a tough time for him.

Jaxa

Oh please, this is the exact molly coddling that is wrong with the world at the moment. He is a professional footballer paid hundreds of thousands of pounds who has had off field problems because he got drunk.

What he needs to do is roll his sleeves up, get his head down and work his way through a bad period of form. This is rightly or wrongly an £80m player and the captain of the club and you say he should be given a break for a few weeks because he is getting slaughtered for basically being absolutely crap for 3 or 4 games, pathetic.....and here comes "he is a human being"
You've clearly never experienced mental health issues going from this post, and it's probably one of the worst posts i've ever seen on this forum tbh, do you think his bank balance or how much his transfer cost was and value as a football player comforts him if he is going through a mental breakdown ?

We are not in the 90's anymore mate, the whole roll up your sleeves and be a man era is thankfully something of the past, i really hope to god you don't have kids, especially a son.

Revaulx

Pretty tragic. Feel sorry for him, even if he’s largely been the architect of his own downfall. Not good to see anyone having a negative spiral.
Yeah. I can’t stand him, but really felt sorry for him when he had to trudge off.

DRM

Remember when United fans used to rally around and support their players when they were going through difficult times? I liked it better then.
A really sad state of affairs. I remember when we stood by cantona, beckham and even Rio after his drugs ban. Heck, imagine Maguire doing the same thing Rio did, fans would be baying for his blood, frothing at the mouth.

chicha14

The whole incident in Greece really seems to have fecked up him. Hope he gets it past him soon.
As I saw this thread I was coming to post that, almost word for word. I think the club needs to make a call and give him some time to spend with his family and maybe that can help him get his head right.

OverratedOpinion

He's a good Premier League defender who the club were hoping would be a defensive talisman. That is his actual issue, not really his fault to be totally fair to him but the decision to spend 80 million pounds on him is so frustrating that he will catch some shrapnel at times.

We had a better defender on loan last season which is the most frustrating thing for me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He deserved a red card for that first touch he had before starting the tackle that caused him to get a second yellow...

Also i see people suggesting to send Harry out on a holiday to clear his mind but, even without coronavirus going round, is that really a good idea? Last time he had some time off he got arrested and convicted.
The Cotswolds are lovely all year round.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Keane and the other players were top quality players, both on the field and mentally. Maguire is a decent at best player on the field, and I won't make any comments yet on his on field mental state since this is the first time we're seeing him attempting to get through a bad patch. In all likelihood Maguire isn't on the level of the players gone by, but for now he's here and we have to figure out how best to use him while he is here. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it is the situation we find ourselves in.
How do we get the best out of him? He's never shown any ability to organise a defence in his career before. That's the biggest problem here. So either we:
  1. Bring in a proper leader to do the job he cannot do (can we even afford to spend another £80m+ on a CB?)
  2. We play a deep back three, play ultra defensive, playing almost on the edge of our 18 yard box, and hope for the best.
  3. Cut our losses and sell him as soon as possible.
Considering he was never that good to begin with, and we do aspire to play attacking football here, i can't see any other option but for us to get rid eventually.

Maureen-yo

first of all he has been a let down since the restart so its not just Greece and thus I would rather he not get back to what he was thanks!

Yes, this Greece thing may have affected him somewhat but he will need to pull himself together and FAST.

he isn't the first footballer to get arrested, get in a fight, or go to court. John Terry was nearly prosecuted as a racist for crying out loud, still banned by the FA and had a SCANDAL involving a teammates wife! Suarez had all his biting nonsense as well with all the racist attention but got on with it. I recall Gerrard beating up a bouncer. He needs to pull himself together and get over it because as Bastian says below, we have f all else to play CB. it will be even worse if Bailly and Lindelof play!

indeed.
Such a reductionist view, people (and he is a person not just a footballer) deal with pressure and anxiety differently. People have taken their own lives due to being dumped by partners, do you criticise them also because other people have got through it without the need for suicide?

This whole archaic “just get on with it“ attitude is a major issue when it comes to addressing mental health in modern times.

Spark

The difference between Maguire and Cantona, Rio and Becks was that all three played out of their skins for United. Rio's drug ban really hindered us, where as Maguire being banned for a couple weeks (admittedly not eight months) would likely do all parties a service.

Cantona cannot be compared and Becks got strung up by the ABU England bumming media. Was always going to get a heroes welcome at United, similar to Ronaldo post WC 06.

Maguire is showing that his head has gone. He's had poor performances for United since game one this season, with his England performances proving that it's more to do with him rather than anything specific at United. Needs to be dropped and shielded from the media so he can sort himself out because there is a quality footballer in him and we desperately need it.

mancan92

A really sad state of affairs. I remember when we stood by cantona, beckham and even Rio after his drugs ban. Heck, imagine Maguire doing the same thing Rio did, fans would be baying for his blood, frothing at the mouth.
Río was World class. Definitely easier to rally behind worldies

Renegade

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. His an okay to good defender who we made the expensive off all time. If that wasn’t enough pressure on his head we then decide to make him club captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world 4 months after that move.

Adcuth

100% though Ole starts him Saturday which would be a joke decision and more harmful than good to the player

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wonder if he is captain material? Between the pressure of leading the defense because he is the oldest starter, we gave him the armband when he had no experience of playing for a huge club or even playing on the CL stage. I wonder if it wouldn't be a relief for him, if Ole gave the armband to someone else and ask him to focus on himself and don't worry about the rest?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Used to have good players to rally round tbf.
That a player needs to be "good" to have our support is what's sad about it. Dunno, just really find myself having less and less in common with United fans these days. Remind me of Liverpool fans.

Cloud7

How do we get the best out of him? He's never shown any ability to organise a defence in his career before. That's the biggest problem here. So either we:
  1. Bring in a proper leader to do the job he cannot do (can we even afford to spend another £80m+ on a CB?)
  2. We play a deep back three, play ultra defensive, playing almost on the edge of our 18 yard box, and hope for the best.
  3. Cut our losses and sell him as soon as possible.
Considering he was never that good to begin with, and we do aspire to play attacking football here, i can't see any other option but for us to get rid eventually.
I agree that in the long term the best option is to cut our losses and get someone else in, however we can't do that now, is what I was getting at. We need to figure out a solution for the now, and deal with the long term solution when we can.

AFC NimbleThumb

Agreed. Criticism of performances, and holding players to high standards, is well within the normal bounds of fandom. Typically, however, fans would and should back their players particularly during rough patches - the one exception being if a player has disrespected the club, indicated they want to leave, or some similar action.
Jesse Lingard says hello.

Take it your caveat is aimed at The Pogba’s of the world.

Simply put, you either believe in blindly backing all our players or you do not.

Unlike Maguire a player like Lingard gets dogs treatment yet can point to having been pivotal in cup wins; this place is full of it.

Waynne

He is clearly not in the right state of mind and he needs the fans to support him. We are all human and make mistakes. The last thing he needs now is for the fans to get on his back.

soapythecat

He’s having a bad time of it and I hope he’s left out of the first team for a few weeks to take him out of the firing line.
We have a lot of leaks to plug in our squad at the movement - nurturing HM back to confidence is not something we should be doing.
Lindlof and Bailly could be interesting/worrying in equal measures but maybe we needed this forced on Ole to see if HM was the big problem all this time.

Skills

Snitch
This is his true level, he's always been a glorified clogger. But nobody wanted to have it, seeing as we have paid £80m and are desperate for our own VVD.

He had never shown any ability to organise a defence in his career before we signed him. Evans held his hand and was the true leader of the defence with Leicester. They still had an average defence at best, conceded 60 (16th) & 48 (7th) goals in his two seasons there. He was also protected by the back three at the World Cup. But now ask him to be the leader here, and take away that protection and he hasn't got a clue.

All that's happening now is he has been found out, and people are seeing him for the mediocre defender he really is.
:eek: :eek:

They finished 9th that season conceding 60 goals

shahzy

He needs time out of the team. Not because it's 'not showing faith' it's because he's a liability right now and it's actually good for him to not concentrate on football and try and get a mind reset for a bit

Adcuth

Tell you what, if Ole likes this 3 at the back formation. Then why not keep smalling to dictate Maguire. He obviously needs the direction. Put Maguire between smalling and Bailley with Henderson organising as well and we won't concede much.

Davie Moyes

He's a good Premier League defender who the club were hoping would be a defensive talisman. That is his actual issue, not really his fault to be totally fair to him but the decision to spend 80 million pounds on him is so frustrating that he will catch some shrapnel at times.

We had a better defender on loan last season which is the most frustrating thing for me.
No we didn't.

Mercurial

Poor guy, seem to be running a gauntlet from hell. People misjudged him thinking he was this badass alpha man on account of his heavy build. Turns out he is a beta gentle giant without the mental hardening people assumed he had. He desperately need time off, and a break, but 0 chance he will get any, not with Ole turning on a roast spit over open fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.