Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Look, I've no idea what's going on in Harry's head but your view of what constitutes pressure and who might be vulnerable to mental stress is crazy. Being in a privileged and well-paid position and suffering badly with your mental health are not mutually exclusive. They never were but this issue has been widely discussed in recent times and I find it a bit mental that anyone could still think they are.

Most losses of form are either caused by or contribute to mental stress. He's struggling, I haven't heard him make excuses himself. He's one of ours and I certainly will be getting behind as I'm sure his teammates, friends and family will. I don't think that's an unreasonable attitude.
I am not attacking mental illness at all, I am saying there is nothing to suggest he has or is sufferign any mental illness so why that is even being raised as an issue is ridiculous.

He is suffering a loss of form and playing badly its that simple. Yes the abuse of press and social media isnt good at all and I am not saying he shouldnt have stress as he is in a well paid position. What I said is that the stress he is under should be viewed as a privelige, how many people get to play and captain one of the best football sides in the world, it is something to be embraced, not like the stress of if you perform adly in your job you lose it and potentially lose your home....that is not a stress to be privelidged, that is the point I was making.

The main point to summarise as dont want to keep waffling on about this. The post I responded to said Maguire as a human being is most important with the effect on his mental issue he should be taken from the limelight, not played for a good three or four games and left to get his head right. How many jobs are there when somebody is struggling to you get told "thats ok, take a month off and regroup"....let alone when the hell has that eer happened for the captain of one of the worlds top football clubs. It is either an absolute nonsense comment in my opinion and/or it simply highlights Maguire really isnt up to captaining this side or even gettign anywhere near justifying his fee is he needs to take a month off after a few weeks of bad form, its ridiculous, simple as that

Blood Mage

He isn't mentally tough enough to effectively navigate this difficult period, which surely confirms that he's not captain material. The armband should be given to Bruno ASAP.

jesperjaap

I feel same about Lingard’s treatment, as well. And the way people are turning on Rashford. As I said, we’re right to hold players to high standards, but the level of vitriol and personal pettiness that the criticism stoops to about a fair number of our players is frankly disgusting. There’s no room for nuance in conversations. Either someone is good, or they’re “dogshit,” “deadwood,” “a joke of a footballer,” “should spend time in jail” (to quote one poster from this thread).

Backing a player, to me, means fans throwing public support behind them even in bad times (would be a lot easier if fans were at stadiums). It doesn’t mean we can’t still constructively criticize performances that fall below expectations.

You are free to dogmatically follow black and white rules about being all in or not, but I don’t feel the world is so simple. Taking your Pogba example - I’d rather see Pogba come good for us and reach his ceiling in a United shirt. However, I also believe that his tendency to lose interest and also to entertain yearly transfer rumors opens him to criticism beyond what is normal and makes me feel less inclined to stand up for him after poor performances. If you aren’t playing for the badge, you don’t deserve the same level of blind faith that we give the rest of our guys.
I completely understand what you are saying, but how long do you give players before deciding whether or not they are good enough? Good or bad things lends to people decisions off of the pitch too, personally I dont care what they do off the pitch, in fact I much prefer players we hear little of about off the pitch since they are paid to play football.

But looking at the current first eleven, the majority of them have been here a good 3-5 seasons now, that for me is plenty of time to make minds up and for me the inconsistency of most of them and at times the apparent lack of desire on the pitch.....as a fan of the club, not individual players...feel fully justified to openly criticise most of them, even if it is with vitriol. I feel there are 3/4 players who are simply not good enough, several who are vastly over rated, but there are three maybe four players who for me fully deserve a lot of the criticism as they have bags of ability and more than enough talent to play for our club, but the apparent application, drive, loyalty and consistency of performance generally are a million miles away from what is required

hmchan

The supreme idiocy of giving him the armband is another wrong decision made by Ole. A captain is the one who is supposed to be the most respected player in a team, and I doubt Maguire commands that much respect. Makes hell lot of mistakes, puts the whole defense under pressure due to being slow both on and off the ball, not suitable for high defense line, does not stick up for his team mates. Do you think Matic will look up to Harry? Pogba? DDG? Bruno Fernandes? Martial? Cavani? World record price for a CB coming from a smaller club and captaining players who have in fact won trophies and including the biggest trophy in the game as well. The most worrying thing is that the longer he is captaining United, the worse he is getting.
The club has tried too hard making him as some sort of club icon but he lacks the ability. Handing him the captain armband, starting him in every single match, posting silly videos to praise him, all these do not do him any favor.

Rolaholic

Very strange that his topic ended up in a ‘Pogba is a virus and Harry is a saint who needs some help’
Not strange at all if you've been on the cafe for a while, quite predictable really.

Half the threads on here end up going the same route

Marcus

I think the red was a bit harsh. Maguire clearly got the ball.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Unless Maguire comes and says that what happened in Greece is affecting his performances, it's speculation for me. He had some clownish moments before after all. The season is young and I expect/hope better from him

Saddy

We all have to deal with tough times in our life - loss of a loved one, redundancy or just life's challenges with Covid impacting on us all and no real end in sight.

Maguire strikes me as being a sensitive lad in a big body but he should come out with Ole in the pre-match conference and tackle the issues head on together - half time bust up they will be asked about and sending off for England but hopefully asked about how they are working on sorting the defence out. He looked ok for England before the 2 incidents and was pinging some good long passes out to the right wing etc but he appears to need to play every match and get himself in the groove so to speak.

I'm not saying he should just "pull himself together" if there is a genuine mental health problem and he needs to take time out to recover but I think his form will suffer even more if he doesn't keep playing and get some consistency into his play.

If he's left out now it will make it even harder to come back and get back to his best IMO

Kostov

Lingard has scored for the club at Wembley & despite his limitations played a key role in some cup victories. Pogba has won for us in Europe.

Maguire cost us a world record fee & people are discussing having to build a new multi-hundred million pound defence around him to hide his deficiencies.

Pogba & Lingard are far from blameless over the past few years but they’ve actually won things; Maguire on the other hand. . . time will tell.

Form is temporary, trophies forever. 2 of the 3 you’ve mentioned have provided the latter.

Short termism.
Lingard has been employed and earns a wage of 100k a week to perform week after week, he's scored at Wembley 4 fecking years ago, and has been dross lots of time before and 99% of the time after that. Are we going to forget that? Pogba has also played and won the Europa Leauge like the other 20 so players in that squad, they are paid and that's their job to do. However for the most of his time back here he has been very underwhelming.

Maguire has been here 1 season, in which he was very solid untill the last part (after the restart) and he has continued in that vain. If he continues to perform like that, be sure that he will be regarded as the same or even worse than the likes of Pogba. Neither of them asked the club to pay 90 or 80m pounds, that's on the decision makers and nothing to do with the quality of the player. Every player has deficiencies and they should not be hidden but complimented.

Lingard and Pogba since are two of many others who can be classified in similar category, have been awarded generously and overpaid, dare I say Lingard has been stealing a living out of the club, regardless of what they've won, they deserved criticism, just like Maguire does now.

Both of them underperforming has very little to do with form actually, one of them is a PL bottom standard player who should have been sold 3 years ago, and the other one is a record breaking transfer who regardless of what 2 coaches have done around him, failed to perform at the expected level.

hubbuh

Unless Maguire comes and says that what happened in Greece is affecting his performances, it's speculation for me. He had some clownish moments before after all. The season is young and I expect/hope better from him
Well said. Agreed.

TsuWave

This guy must have a serious PR team. People pointing to his reported disorderly conduct and legal entanglement in Greece to excuse his lack of footballing ability, despite him being comical in multiple instances prior to said events. Must be nice.

He'sRaldo

This guy must have a serious PR team. People pointing to his reported disorderly conduct and legal entanglement in Greece to excuse his lack of footballing ability, despite him being comical in multiple instances prior to said events. Must be nice.
This is what I've surmised from his time thus far. Even a long time before the Greece incidents.

Shimo

He has a "knock" - so either dropped or at least have a ready made excuse for a bad performance. Really pathetic thing is that as off form he is, still our best CB.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He has a "knock" - so either dropped or at least have a ready made excuse for a bad performance. Really pathetic thing is that as off form he is, still our best CB.
There comes a point where compound damage has to be taken into consideration. If Ole plays him, and he continues to worsen, there is a risk of breaking him beyond repair. That would be seen as Ole being so out of his depth that he facilitated something so ruinous instead of taking the player out of the firing line when it was clear he should have.

Of course, the flip side is it shows tremendous insight if he plays Maguire and he has a few good games... the line between incompetence and amazing insight into a players' makeup is razor thin and unforgiving. Not something Ole can afford to get wrong.

His position as manager is tenuous to say the least so he may go out on his sword and field who he wants to the bitter end, but the scrutiny if he makes the wrong call here will be absolutely brutal.

There wouldn't be many throwing rocks at Ole for going with Lindelof and <other> in lieu of Maguire, but the other way round, it could finish him as manager here if it leads to a run of equally dire performances as we've seen from him thus far this season.

windco

Van der Vaart
“It’s funny because during the Nations League, I was doing work for Dutch television,” he said. “And I remember we were saying ‘Harry Maguire was by far the worst player on the pitch’.
“And then, two months later [he transferred for] £90million.”
"When I go to see an amateur club on Sunday, I can find three players who can play like him (Maguire). I mean that.
“It might be silly to say it, but he won’t hear it anyway. We are talking about a €90 million signing here. (If Maguire is worth €90 million) then Van Dijk is worth €300 million.”
“I think Maguire goes home every day and tells his wife: ‘I screw up, but I earn so much. They really believe I’m good.’ I really think so, he laughs at everyone
By far the best opinion you can find about Maguire , absolutely spot on

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
------------------Tckl----Blk---Int--Clr---HdClr----Rec---DW---DL---50/50---ABW---ABL
Maguire-------37------6-----72---157---94-------237--240--128---8---------176-----71
Virgil VD-----23------5------40--162----83------220----239--81----3---------191------60
Lindeloff----29------1------26---122---58------215----135--78----4----------96-------50

Legend: Tckl=Tackles, Blk=Blocks, Int=Interceptions, Clr=Clearances, HdClr=Headed Clearances, Rec=Recoveries, DW=Duals Won, DL=Duals Lost, ABW=Arial Battles Won, ABL=Arial Battles Lost

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9566/Harry-Maguire/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5140/Virgil-van-Dijk/stats?co=1&se=274
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5066/Victor-Lindelöf/stats?co=1&se=274

I agree that players should be dropped if they aren't playing well. But not because it suits an agenda, but because there are better options to come in. And that's the problem. Even though Maguire has started the year poorly, he is still better than the other options. You start your best 11 and an out of form Maguire still needs to start ahead of a Bailly/Lindeloff partnership.

Put it this way....Liverpool have started horribly and VVD has been at the heart of their issues. Imagine Liverpool fans asking for VVD to be dropped? This agenda against Maguire, spearheaded by Mark Goldbridge, really needs to stop...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not sure how much did the Greece incident affect him in particular, but this doesn't look like a player with any kind of confidence to me (the videos are taken from yesterday's MUFC training compilation):

I never was a big fan of his but I don't seem to remember him being so passive before.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No place to hide at United, I remember him going through a dodgy spell at Leicester at one point too. To be fair to the lad, he needs a rest after playing all that football last season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not sure how much did the Greece incident affect him in particular, but this doesn't look like a player with any kind of confidence to me (the videos are taken from yesterday's MUFC training compilation):

I never was a big fan of his but I don't seem to remember him being so passive before.
You saw that from those two short videos?

el3mel

Good header to score. Hard to judge anything defensively against Newcastle attackers though, but hopefully gives him some confidence booth. Love or hate him he'll be our main defender this season and better to hope he'll play well.

neilv93

He needed that today. Played really well and could've even had a hat-trick on another day! Hopefully the start of an upward trajectory.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Should have score his hattrick. 2 header and the beautiful long shot. Good defensively too and his distribution was also good. Feels like he’s becoming heading machine now for our set pieces, Brighton & now today’s game.

AFC NimbleThumb

He scored a goal against newcastle, calm down lad.

I actually came in here to post fair play to him as he was blatantly unfit yet put in a good shift.

Do tell me how this works though, do I bookmark your post then quote it next time we lose?

Grief, a win away to Newcastle :cool:

My captain indeed:lol:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Was more buzzing for him than the team that he got the equaliser today.

His performances are going to have a massive impact on our season, so we need to get him back to his best asap, if that goal can give him a bit of his confidence back then hopefully he returns to form quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.